Impire Imposes Impactful Impassioned, Er, Trailer

By John Walker on August 15th, 2012 at 3:30 pm.

Impetuous

So Impire is Dungeon Keeper with slightly more strategic combat, right? That’ll do. As we know it’s coming from Cyanide Studios, they who brought us Chaos League and Game Of Thrones: Genesis, and being published by Paradox. You can read a bunch about it from Nathan, here. There’s a new trailer showing a good range of the different styles of play below.

I don’t really have any more to say, so instead, here’s a picture of a mongoose:

(It’s only after writing this that I noticed Paradox did the same dumb Imp… joke for their own headline.)

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. c-Row says:

” … Impressions”?

2. Torgen says:

Purely from what has been released, I think I like this more than Game of Dwarves.

3. westyfield says:

“It’s only after writing this that I noticed Paradox did the same dumb Imp… joke for their own headline.”

Well that’s what you get when you’re impetuous.

• RedViv says:

Impossible! What impertinent impulses lead you to implying this?

• Rao Dao Zao says:

But it’s so important to make the right impression.

• The Army of None says:

And here I was thinking I was impervious to pun threads…

• RedViv says:

Consider this a most impressive show of impotence then!

• MaXimillion says:

Surely RPS Improved Paradox’s Impish puns though.

• Kaira- says:

I do insist that we indulge in these impressive insights of the impossibly ingenious ideas of inventive intelligences.

• theleif says:

Stop this nonsense!
            I implore you, think of the children!

• DanPryce says:

This impudence will have serious implications.

• RegisteredUser says:

Insane. Insinuating illicit internal imperfections. I irrevocably in irregular intervals impress internationally!

Oh wait, wrong logic.

Impressive imperfection, in improvable implementation!

4. DanPryce says:

This looks like it’s going to scratch the same itch that Evil Genius did.

5. meatshit says:

Please, please, please don’t be as terrible as that Dungeons game.

• fionny says:

Thats my hope too, that was crap.

• Dark Nexus says:

Amen to that! I really wanted to like Dungeons… I tried to like Dungeons… but just couldn’t.

• socrate says:

this game look extremely graphicly similar to dungeons anyone know if they bought their engine or what…seriously…the room…the design and graphic are seriously bad reminder of that awful game

also pre defined room size…really?

and cyanide=bad dev they made nothing remotely worth noticing

and paradox for all their fanboy following them for i don’t get what reason is and always as been a bad publisher…the thing they do differently is only that they publish stuff like CK,HoH and SoTS…put with that that they exploit old title the same as all the big company,majesty 2 was a spit in the face of the old Majesty game which was brilliant i mean the AI in the first majesty is brilliantly made and yiet they managed to screw it up entirely and then use the franchise to get stuff like a Tower Defence majesty /facepalm…then a civilization majesty who they told was a spiritual successor to master of magic which its not even close.

im actually really tired of paradox taking all these idea like dwarf fortress and dungeon keeper just to over hype and get easy $$$ out of it and that goes for all the publisher out there basically….just the though that Dungeon Keeper franchise is in the hand of EA make me shiver

did anyone read the development on DK3? it was horrible…they were making it basically starcraft or warcraft….it was a disaster,im really glad they didn’t make it

i for one would rather never see a DK3 rather then see it ruined and exploited like all the old title these days…i could care less for “clone” and these so called “spiritual successor” to me all they are so far are easy $$$ scheme and always end up being just an horrible money making scheme that everyone seem to fall for

and yes i do take this at heart a bit to much…dungeon keeper is still my favorite game of all time and no one even came close to making something even remotely similar or good,i still play DK1 and DK2 at least once a year

they also tend to remind me the golden days of gaming and how Bullfrog(and other company at that time) was extremely innovative and always ending up shining even with all the negative.

today the best you can expect from innovation in gaming is pretty much indie dev…and then they get copied by the big company like usual and can’t say a word cause they know they have no chance of winning vs a titan

…damn now i am just angry at the world

6. ludicrous_pedagogy says:

Anyone else thinks the logo looks like (MPIR)? Didn’t know what I was looking at the first time it came up…

7. Severian says:

I don’t know, I’m feeling pessimistic about this. Looks like yet another game that desperately wants to ride the coattails of Dungeon Keeper but doesn’t quite understand what made the series so much fun. I want an Evil Genius style game where I set up a dungeon with monsters and traps, sit back and watch the adventurers come in and die. Basically, Dungeons without the terrible design decisions (like making you directly harvest the adventurers) + Dungeon Lords the boardgame + Tropico (meaning, a sim where you have to keep your monsters happy or they cause trouble for you). Oh, and a torture chamber. Is that too much to ask?

• Brise Bonbons says:

Wholeheartedly agree on what is exciting in these games (and usually gets left out). I think most of us want a deep, at least semi-simulated management game, but the developers keep giving us something more like an RTS with sandbox dungeon building stuff.

That said, Impire looks to be dripping with character and incidental flavor, which I love. I just hope there are some simulations going on underneath it all; without the unintended narrative moments that emerge from such a foundation, I can’t see it pulling me away from Dwarf Fortress.

Also, nice Gene Wolfe reference in the name, there. (If I’m not mistaken)

• socrate says:

add to this that dungeon keeper is really hard to make a spiritual successor to…i mean possesion spell in DK alone make it a 2 in 1 game you end up with a FPS in my simulator which as so far never been done from what i can remember.

Yes i also agree totally that RTS is totally not what DK was and its what made it so unique and so fun…and also so different,DK is pretty much the first The sims really but even then its far more then just that…its…its almost a genre in itself

Even the MMO of DK make me want to never see another DK game ever…dev now clearly don’t have the brain and resource to make a worthy successor and its just another franchise waiting to be milked /cry

oh and sadly Brise Bonbons looking good and having alots of character doesn’t make a game really good or what we expect…i mean i was hyper excited at Dungeons it looked great and almost exactly like DK….but yeah we know where it went from there…..never buying kalypso game ever again…i hope nothing good for that company

8. Ghoulie says:

Eh. I’ve always wanted another DK, or at least a spiritual successor, but Cyanide’s track record isn’t that great as of now. Don’t want another Dungeons.
    I’ll keep my eye on it in any case.

9. Inigo says:

Predefined room sizes? Bleh.

10. MythArcana says:

Every single minion type will be a separate DLC. Plus Gleam-required, too. PASS.

11. mrwout says:

Please be a blatant Dungeon Keeper rip-off.

12. Didero says:

“Build your Impire Now”

“Coming Soon”

Am I missing something here?

13. Geen says:

D’awww, cute mongoose.

14. Rovac says:

This game looks pretty. Hopefully, Impire will gain a great deal of success and break the genre-wall that is currently isolating the mainstream.
    Then again, there’s no way you can play this game on a consolebox. Even if you can, it will be awkward like most RTS on consolebox. The best RTS you can get on it is probably something like Halo Wars

15. MadTinkerer says:

Tsk. tsk. “Build your Impire now!” and then “coming soon”. Which is it? Tease.