Star Trek: The Game Of The Gap Between The Two Films

By John Walker on August 15th, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

In space, no one can hear how lazy your captions are.

The ostentatiously-named Star Trek (in fact the fifty-third Star Trek computer game) isn’t due until early next year, despite trailers having been appearing since 2011. But trailers still they a-come, and Gamescom has revealed yet another. It’s an action-packed frenzy of Kirk-and-Spock shootyfighting, and far too few bleepy-bloopy computer noises for my liking. There are also ninety-six billion new screenshots, which you can see below.

It looks pretty decent, really.

Perhaps it’s a bold move to give the game the same near-anonymous name as the film that was released in 2009, four years before the game comes out… wait, no, no it’s a very silly idea. Someone give this poor thing a subtitle before it vanishes into obscurity before it’s even released. “Hang on, I’ll just Google ‘star trek’…”

Impressively they’re already describing it as “award winning” in their press release, which is no mean feat for something no one’s played through. It also says it “casts players for the first time ever as Kirk and Spock”, but I’m pretty sure I played as them in Star Trek: 25th Anniversary and Star Trek: Judgement Rites.

The game will be voiced by the cast from the film, and that’s no small range of celebs, but has its own story from God Of War writer Marianne Krawczyk following on from the plot of the movie. And of course it’s primarily co-op, which is definitely a big bold move. Take a look at it in static form, and click on them to make them grow before your very eyes.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. theLumberJack says:

The last pic:
    He’s dead Jim.

2. Rich says:

Of all the things that need to be rendered well, The Enterprise is number one. I know it’s just going to be seen in cutscenes but those blurry textures just won’t do.

…also it looks like a cross between Mass Effect and Gears of War. It’ll probably be fun, but I hope us Billy Nomates can play it with a competent AI controlled companion.

Surlywombat says:

Still looks like Mass Etrek

tumbleworld says:

So. Much. Meh.

5. Arithon says:

I’d rather see “Sins of Solar Empire: Star Trek”.

Imagine Sins’ with Klingon, Human, Vulcan, Cardassian, etc. factions with all the ships and sound effects. Now THAT would be a game to win awards!

6. abandonhope says:

This could be alright. Unlike Star Wars, it’s incredibly difficult to capture what makes Star Trek (series, excluding the ones that kind of sucked) good in a game. The most recent Star Trek film, however, was successful as a film precisely because it was more Star Wars than Star Trek, which makes basing a decent game off of it considerably easier.

LegendaryTeeth says:

Looks like there’s a lot of not-flying-spaceships-around in those screen shots to me.

• benjamin says:

Agreed. This is not the Star Trek game I want to play.

Then again, the Star Trek game I want to play involves Captain Picard telling me to make it so and then I go and make it so. And if I can’t transfer life support power to the forward deflectors I don’t want a look in!

• Viper50BMG says:

Then I think you want Artemis: the Spaceship Bridge Simulator (http://www.artemis.eochu.com/)

Provided you can get one of your mates to shave his head, get knighted, and then bellow those orders at you.

• Brise Bonbons says:

Science fiction power rerouting aside, I think a very key point is that Star Trek has always been about characters (and often, by extension, the alien and foreign worlds and cultures which made those characters) more than shooting or flying or anything else. I mean, clearly Star Wars is about characters too, in its way, but the new Trek movie was so good because of the enjoyable dynamics between all the characters. The plot and the action stuff was all pretty mediocre, IMO.

In short, this should really be an adventure/RPG with the full cast of characters. Focusing on Kirk & Spock exclusively is only appropriate if this is in fact a romance game.

• jealouspirate says:

Exactly. The only reason I’d want to play a Star Trek game is to fly a Starship around.

8. Krimson says:

Are those Lizard-men supposed to be the Gorn? They don’t look rubbery enough.

• abandonhope says:

They’re supposed to be Donald Rumsfeld and his progeny, but you’re right–they don’t look rubbery enough.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Is that official lore, or more like a known unknown?

Also, will we find them east, west, south and north of the alpha quadrant?

• spectone says:

I didn’t know you could Vulcan neck pinch non humanoid races but if those are the Gorn then maybe it is ok.

9. drplote says:

You’re sure this is a Star Trek game? Doesn’t seem to have enough lens flare.

• Skabooga says:

I too was going to make some timely joke about an adaption of this movie to a game being perfect for the current trend of over-using HDR lighting in games.

Wisq says:

The sad thing is, most of the special effects they apply, like all the halos around anything bright (bloom?), are actually making things LESS realistic, not more. Old fashioned computer games with their pinpoint razor-sharp light sources were how things really look when there’s not a bunch of air to scatter all that light around. A classic example of audiences thinking real things look fake.

10. MOKKA says:

Did they had the permission to use lethal force?

11. 2late2die says:

This Mass Effect 3 mod is looking pretty nice, though they didn’t do a good job with the Enterprise.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

Of all the generic cover shooters you could compare it to, you choose the one with the least similarities in gameplay mechanics? Okay I guess. Besides, as much as the brains behind ME3 made some silly decisions, at least they didn`t cast one of the silliest races in the franchise as the apparent main villain.
      Edit: after taking a closer look, the similarities to Gorn look superficial at best. Still, taking a rather obscure race, instead of old standbys such as Romulans, Klingons, or even Borg is a bit odd to say the least.

• Mad Hamish says:

They wouldn’t touch Klingons with an inverse tachyon beam. Klingons are too well known as part of “nerdy” Star Trek to play any real role in the new Star Trek. Klingons will make idiots say “oh they’re those stupid forehead aliens from that show for nerds, so that’s what Star Trek is. Fuck that I’m not seeing this movie/buying this game.

• Rich says:

Actually it looks a hell of lot like Mass Effect. Doesn’t matter if you’re Trekkie, Mass Effect… ie, or if you love or hate the most recent episode of either franchise. The visual similarity is undeniable.

12. mickygor says:

Ahh, I love the thrumming sound that space makes.

13. blackmane says:

Call Of Star Trek: Medal Of Spock

14. noodlecake says:

They don’t remotely look like William Shatner OR Leonard Nimoy. What the hell? Also, that Star Trek movie didn’t even happen.

• Rich says:

Yes it did. It was the one set in a brewery, silly.

• Greg says:

As far as I can remember, the last Star Trek movie was Nemesis. What is Syler doing with pointy ears and where is Riker and Worf. I do recall a “Sliders” movie where Leonard Nimoy played Jerry O’Connell’s character and did a bit of a crossover. I didn’t pay much attention to it because it was, well,”Sliders.”

emertonom says:

All I have is a vague memory of Simon Pegg pretending to be Scotty, which was hilariously awesome. But I’m pretty sure that was a movie adaptation of Spaced, not Star Trek.

Skystrider says:

I might be interested if it has a single-player mode. Which can be played offline.

Otherwise… No.

16. Felixader says:

I am no Trekkie, but what is so hard to get from ” where no man has gone before”?

This does look like any generic sci fi shooty place in space i have a been to before.

17. GreatGreyBeast says:

Naturally co-op just means Kirk and Spock. It would have been cool if you had the entire main cast to choose from, each with various strengths and weaknesses. You know, like games used to do.

• demonarm says:

Kirk and Spock co-op? Like in The Ring of Soshern?

Now that’s Bioware material!

18. ZIGS says:

Wow, finally a cover-based 3rd-person shooter, I’ve been wanting to play one of these for years!!

19. Beelzebud says:

It’s sad to see the Star Trek franchise turned into just another mindless setting for action movies/games.

20. Iskariot says:

I am not a real Trekkie, but nevertheless I am interested in this, if it is a SP game.
    But I want a meticulously recreated Enterprise, with every nook and cranny accessible, to travel around in.
    They should make this as a sort of RPG/action game. You travel from planet to planet at will, do all kinds of missions, do some space fights, discover new technology to enhance your ship and weaponry and gadgets, improve your own stats etc. etc.

21. D3xter says:

This isn’t my Star Trek / I never asked for this…

22. Tuskin38 says:

Oh looks nice. I quite enjoyed the new movie, can’t wait for the sequel.

23. spamenigma says:

Star Trek : TrekFace

24. Ovno says:

Will I be kicked off the site for saying I think it looks fun?

• Skabooga says:

No, no, no, of course not. You’ll be thrown from the highest tower of Castle Shotgun. :)

25. Tei says:

In a world with teleportation and a 3D printer that can create food from thin air, I would be all day eating delicious food, not fighting. And I would never ever walk again. Just teleport to the bathroom wen needed.

• spamenigma says:

Just teleport your wee/poo straight to the toilet direct from inside you! no need to even wash your hands….

• Tuskin38 says:

Yeah, and apparently in Trek all the food is made of healthy stuff too. It may look like a giant stake, or a bowl of ice cream, but its really just nutrients made to look and taste like it.

26. Koozer says:

Captain, according to my calculations 96 billion screenshots equates to 101 years of playtime, assuming each screenshot is unique and it is running at a framerate of 30fps.

27. pilouuuu says:

There’s something wrong in here. RPS posted Star Wars 1313 pictures instead.

Star Trek is about investigating, meeting new civilizations, moral dilemmas, finding a diplomatic solution before shooting… Also about team working. There are only two guys in these pictures and now a whole crew.

28. Cooper says:

One day someone will make a game that’s basically Star Treak: Bridge Commander tied with the old adevnture games and we will have a game that is, well, “Star Trek”.

Not whatever this is.

29. smoke.tetsu says:

“The ostentatiously-named Star Trek (in fact the fifty-third Star Trek computer game)”

You mean just like the film is ostentatiously-named Star Trek when it’s actually the 11th Star Trek Film?

30. Groove says:

“click on them to make them grow before your very eyes”

Said the captain to the alien slave girl.

31. wodin says:

If you took this and added it to a Tactical Ship Warfare or a Bridge Commander like part aswell then that would be cool…

On it’s own just another shooter…though I do like the space suit design..

32. jamesgecko says:

I didn’t realize that Michael Bay had started doing video games. How odd.

33. AlienMind says:

No Shooter Trek for me.
    Star Trek is about diplomacy and exploration and human morals.