Man With Beard Makes Game: Special Forces Team X

By Craig Pearson on August 16th, 2012 at 8:00 pm.

When a man with a beard talks about games, you listen. This has always been the RPS way. Jared Gerritzen, Creative Studio Head of Zombie Studios (I hope that job title is reflective of his mighty chin rug and nothing else) bearded his beard onto G4 last night to talk about the Blacklight developer’s new ‘casualcore’ game ‘Special Forces Team X’ (the ‘X’ is for ‘Xdfaljksdfkhalsdfh’). Their beardspertise in first-person sci-fi blasting is being redirected into a third-person, cartoonish shooter, where the players customise the map. Enough about the game, Jared: do you condition that fibrous follicle forest?

SFTX’s maps are based around customisable tiles. At the start of each round, both team pick the tile closest to their spawn, with the middle one being randomly selected by the game. Each time you join a map it’s a monster of combined map styles, meaning there’s no opportunity for players to plan an optimum route through the whole space. It sounds cool, but I do have a concern: I only really start to enjoy multiplayer games when I get comfortable with the surroundings, and when I’m aware of the map’s flow. But I’ve stood behind Quake 3 Arena champ Fatal1ty (pronounced Fatal-one-ty) and watched him playing: he was so into his prescribed route that the other players were more of an annoyance than a challenge. It didn’t look fun.

The rest is pretty standard: over the smoulder shooting, loadouts. Bizarrely they’re licensing all the guns, so while it has a cartoonish tone the weaponry is real-world. Herreeeeeeeeee’s G4

It’ll be out soon, this summer. Also, where’s my introductory round of applause, RPS? [You're just some interloper with a dangerous beard - Ed]

, , .

1. PitfireX says:

Why are games so boring nowadays? No learning process, no time to master. Just pick it up, sprint around, get some points, move on to the next game. its a sad age for mainstream games.

• Hoaxfish says:

At a guess, it’s the “multiplayer only” game design.

There’s not much innovation between FPS base mechanics, or multiplayer, so you’ve already learnt everything from all your other games.

By bypassing Single-player, there simply isn’t time or space to introduce a player to the world, and/or then gradually expand their arsenal and understanding of the choices and consequences.

2. Hoaxfish says:

All the cell-shading of Borderlands, with the everything else of Call of Duty?

3. Dominic White says:

The vs-map-creation side of things was done in that Babo/Madballs game ages back.

4. Felixader says:

What the heck is wrong with the woman? No seriously i can’t tell why, but for some reason i feel something is wrong with her.

5. BAshment says:

“casualcore” dear god.

6. Geen says:

The semi-random levels is a good idea, but it still feels bland to me. If they’d combine that with say, some sort of twist like fully destructible everything and dynamic ragdolls (Think Max Payne 3 or Overgrowth) it’d be good.

7. Yargh says:

Welcome, Sir Beard. Though you do appear to be missing from the was list below.

8. sinister agent says:

Sounds like a neat idea, though it could probably do with taking it a bit further to really stand out. It’s a pretty crowded gentre.

9. hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

I’ve been playing Blacklight the last month or so while I wait for better things to come out, and between the consensus of genericism here and my experiences in Zombie’s other game, the hivemind is probably on to something.

10. Zepp says:

What a lovely, lovely beard.

11. Pemptus says:

Christ almighty, I just can’t watch G4 for more than a few seconds at a time. I think I’m allergic to all the vapid, deliberately stupid American shows.

12. Shooop says:

Piss-poor graphics that lack any of the detail Borderlands had in its cell-shading and look horribly washed-out, standard DUDE/BRO 3rd person manshooting, and Zombie’s non-existent hit detection!

How exciting.

13. DutchDrunk says:

I mustache what they were thinking…