Smashing: Castle Crashers Finally Coming To PC

By Nathan Grayson on August 17th, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

Omigosh, kitty!

It has been a very good day for castles and PC gaming – although one could argue that it’s pretty difficult to have a bad day when you’re a giant stone triumph of human ingenuity (unless you’re being besieged or demolished and replaced with a McDonald’s). First, we received word that Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 is in the process of whipping up a PC version, and now wickedly fun 2D smash-’em-up Castle Crashers is headed our way as well. For the uninitiated, it’s madcap sidescrolling co-op with copious poop jokes that are somehow endearing. I don’t fully understand why I love it, but I’ve learned not to question these things.

The PC version will launch on Steam, so cloud support, achievements, and the like will all be coming along for the ride. Meanwhile, both online and local multiplayer are rounding out the package – which is excellent news, because this one’s at its best when played in the company of other people. That may not be the traditional Tao of our people, but half the fun of these sorts of games is laughing and shouting and not speaking to each other for a couple weeks because your so-called “friends” wouldn’t revive you.

According to, er, a poem, the release date’s currently “unknown” (which is then tastefully rhymed with “atone”), but it launched on Xbox nearly four years ago – so what’s a bit more waiting? Plus, The Behemoth – contrary to its gentle giant of a name – is actually quite tiny and nice. If you poke its tummy, it emits an adorable gurgle and barely devours your entire arm at all. The Alien Hominid maker is, in other words, not capable of converting into a giant port factory, so these things take time.

Regardless, I have opted to email them asking – among other things – why, after all these years, now, and also whether or not BattleBlock Theater is planned for PC in any capacity. You’ll have answers to both as soon as I do.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. deadly.by.design says:

Time to party like it’s 2008!

2. aliksy says:

Neat. Played this at a friend’s house and had fun with it. Hopefully the price point on Steam will be reasonable.

3. Shooop says:

This looks like so much fun and Behemoth has a great sense of wacky humor. Can’t wait.

4. chesh says:

Without hesitation I will buy this game for the third time. Yes!

5. Wallllrod says:

Blimey. I loved some of the music in this game. I’d long given up expectation of a PC port, though.

6. Savagetech says:

A 5 year old port? I knew PC was getting the shit end of the stick on developer priority but I didn’t know it was this bad!

Jokes aside this game was fun but there’s no way I’d buy it again. Once the game has played all its cards, the only reason to return is the co-op play. The varied characters have superficial differences but play nearly identically, unlike some other brawlers (D&D Shadows Over Mystarra, for one). Pick it up if you like to pummel things with your friends, but try to only play with a full group lest you wear yourself out on the game too quickly.

• RegisteredUser says:

This begs the question: How many and which PC games actually support 2-4 players locally with gamepads?
      Which games actually make that work? Is there a list maintained somewhere?

Theoretically there is no reason we couldn’t be replacing any console with a small case PC stowed under the telly; we just get sod all support for that as it’d mean breaking the fence.

And some people already have their media center built PCs just like that that double as wireless gaming platforms for couch gaming. Why we can’t have Tekkens etc is just weird these days(Well not weird, logical in their view I guess? The PC is too “free” vs consoles, I would think).

7. HermitUK says:

I enjoyed this on the 360; I’ll pick it up again for the co-op.

8. dE says:

Meh, there was a time when I was interested in it, but i’ve somehow lost all my hype for it.

• fyro11 says:

Yup. They should throw in free DLC. It seems the developers are looking for new channels of revenue, with the least amount of input (i.e. porting an old game.)

9. welverin says:

Great game, and one of the songs started to play as I started to read this post.

10. Warskull says:

I just want Battleblock Theater to get released at all. At this point I’m a little worried that we might not see it.

11. Totally heterosexual says:

Oh cool

12. Slinkyboy says:

I bought the game on XBLA without gold and it was worth it but why the hell PC now? MONEY AGAIN?!

13. Choca says:

To anyone who hasn’t done this game, you need to get it and to stick with it until the very end.

The ending is just glorious.

14. pakoito says:

I went to their booth today and just said three words: “About fucking time”.

Well I babbled about some other stuff too, like “Battleblock fucking theater better be on PC too”

15. BobbleHat says:

I’ve been interested in this as I’ve been after some modern day, old-school beat ‘em ups to play with the missus, but I don’t own a threesixtybox. When it says local multiplayer I assume this means it’ll support one player with kb&m and another with a pad?

16. Geen says:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT YES!

17. RobF says:

Long overdue but great news all the same.

Here’s to more folks porting their games across. Bring them all!

18. zeroskill says:

Well finally I can play this after 4 years, thank you Microsoft. So glad you have those saucesome exclusivity contract’s you totally not force on small time developers. Why are you so great?

19. Silva Shadow says:

Definite buy for PC.

Now can RPS please find out when Shadow Complex will come to the PC.

20. RegisteredUser says:

Yea. Well isn’t this kind of behavior totally support worthy.
    Feel the same way about Fez; if you go and PAY Microsoft to be exclusive and chained to them for forever, only to get charged tens of thousands when you want to fix your own product, you can go live with your own dumb decision alone.

I understand one would want financing, promotion and exposure and handling and whatnot, and that not everyone can get onto steam. But I would sooner prefer the “homepage with a button” approach(but with them remaining truly independent and flexible), thank you very much(Minecraft, AI War, Defender’s Quest..).

21. muskieratboi says:

Waitwhat lords of shadow 2 PC what?!?

IT IS A GOOD DAY TO BE A MEMBER OF THE GLORIOUS PC GAMING MASTER RACE.

22. VickyLeaks says:

This thing is Yea. Well isn’t this kind of behavior totally support worthy.

I understand one would want financing, promotion paper writing service and exposure and handling and whatnot, and that not everyone can get onto steam. But I would sooner prefer the “homepage with a button” approach(but with them remaining truly independent and flexible), thank you very much(Minecraft, AI War, Defender’s Quest..).