87 Bazillion New Clips Of Borderlands 2

By Nathan Grayson on August 18th, 2012 at 9:43 am.

If only real commercials were this good. Or this Russian.

Borderlands 2 will have guns. Of all the things in the entire universe I’d be absolutely, un-hesitantly comfortable staking my life on, that’d rank only behind “Texas is warm” and “Borderlands 2 will have lands.” Gearbox, though, wants to set its more-than-87-bazillion guns apart from the rest of the industry’s comparatively tasteful collection of 63 trillion, so it’s attempting to infuse real personality into brands this time around. If you delve into the vault beyond the break, you won’t find some bizarro squid god, but you will come away with three very silly gun “commercials” and (bonus!) an impressive showcase of BL2′s PC-only PhysX features.

The ending to the Tediore one made me laugh hysterically, which is probably a good sign for the game and a bad sign for my ability to pass whatever test is administered to figure out whether or not people are sociopaths. Also, there are Space Russians! Hooray!

Meanwhile, I don’t usually ogle physics and particles and bits of cloth flapping serenely in the breeze, but goodness, those are some really nice physics and particles and bits of cloth flapping serenely in the breeze. And then exploding, no less, because Borderlands. I can’t think of a more immediately impressive implementation of PhysX tech, honestly – at least, not that I’ve played. Can anyone else? Now if only we could get someone to use this for more than eye-popping flecks of debris. I’m ready for a truly evocative rock quarry sim already, yet the gaming industry refuses to heed my call.

, , , , .

1. JoeGuy says:

Ah Gearbox never change, these trailers prove you are just the right amount of mad.

2. povu says:

I suppose it’s better than many other physx trailers, where it’s ‘here, compare these awesome physX effects to… no effects at all! What an improvement!’

• Amun says:

And there are the fans who, instead of saying “This is an outrage, I won’t stand for you paying the developers of a game to prevent people who own a Red card from seeing all these special effects!” they say, “I wonder if these fancy techno-wizards over at the Green company would be willing to accept all of my money in exchange for a piece of silicon with their name on it.”

PhysX is just another closed system pushed by a company trying to corner the market at any cost.

3. Mr. Mister says:

A more impressive implementation?

Hailstorm.

felisc says:

Could someone help little me about the Nvidia PhysX thing ? I own a 7870 and if I understand correctly, physx is available for radeons too but as some kind of BabyEdition Physx ? And only Nvidia’s cards get the whole package ?
    thanks.

• Calneon says:

Only Nvidia card get access to GPU accelerated physics. This means you can chuck a whole lot more physics objects and the GPU will handle it, while the CPU would crumple and die.

• marach says:

Full flavour physx is available on AMD cards if you use the hacked NV driver. The fact it runs almost perfectly with the hacked driver tells you a lot about NV exclusive features…

• Azdeus says:

I’m intrigued, please tell me more!

• iniudan says:

More…MORE…MOOORRREE

Basically same then then the other guy asking for more info. =p

• daf says:

Please point us to were as afaik the only thing you can do by hacking nvidia drivers is allow a nvidia gpu to act as a dedicated physx card when you have a amd main gpu, which nvidia doesn’t allow.

The sad reality is that nvida owns PhysX a full functional physics engine that can also be acelarated trough CUDA, nvidia own gpu computation api (so for amd to support physx they need to implement CUDA or port to a gpu api they do support), AMD suports OpenCL and DX11 DirectCompute the “standard” gpu computation api, problem is no physic engine seems to use it, Havok had some OpenCL demos back in 2009 but since then nothing has come out of it.

So if you want to stick with amd gpu your best bet is to get a dual PCIe x16 motherboard and put a cheep nvidia card to do physX with hacked drivers, but expect it to break with every driver update.

• Hug_dealer says:

you should be able to run the Physx if you have enough power on your CPU. the gpu can do it better, but the cpu if strong enough can handle it to.

• yourgrandma says:

This is false. It doesn’t work through cpu. For example i have a 2600k @ 4.5ghz in mirrors edge it get like 10fps with PhysX enabled and that game uses very little PhysX.

• Hug_dealer says:

I think 1 game is hardly evidence contrary to my post. Many other people have had it function fine in other games. Keep in mind that there are different driver sets for phsyx also, so the really old mirrors edge game with that level of physx could be crippled, but more modern versions could very well have better optimization.

• yourgrandma says:

Alice madness returns runs awful as well with PhysX being offloaded to the cpu. That game came out in mid 2011. Nvidia doesn’t want it to work with cpu’s thats the whole marketing scheme. They want you to buy their card.

• Amun says:

@yourgrandma: That’s because Nvidia intentionally ruined the code that worked fine on CPUs. CPUs CAN and DO support physics simulations all day every day. Look at the physics objects in Diablo 3. They’re excellent and no GPU is required.

The “only runs on Nvidia” line is just marketing. OPEN YOUR EYES SHEEPLE!!!*

*This last sentence is for comedic use only. Consult a physician if condition worsens or if symptoms persist longer than 7 days.

mpk says:

“an horrific foreplay incident”

It’s happened to us all chum.

6. Synesthesia says:

vladof! Vladof! VLAAADOOOOF!

…vladoface?

7. Njordsk says:

I often don’t really care about Phyxics, but now this is too much difference.

Those studios need to stop this and use universal physic middleware. I mean in some case you just shot and empty box, and in the other one you have shitons of particuls and effets.

It’s getting ridiculous.

It feels like they’re not even recording at the same level of detail.

Vandelay says:

Quite. PhysX trailers always piss me off, although mainly as a jealous Radeon user. Cutting out half the audience also means we will not be seeing any meaningful uses of the tech though, as it would limit the market too much.

• Batolemaeus says:

The worst thing is:

This is very much possible on a cpu. In fact, doing it on the cpu is preferrable nowadays with many people having more cores than games can actually use.

So basically, this is a case of terrible vendor lock-in. Fuck that.

• Advanced Assault Hippo says:

I know how you feel.

I have a PC upgrade coming along shortly and I’ve always been a staunch AMD user in the past. But some of the visual differences are now simply too far in nvidia’s favour. So I’m finally going to be moving towards buying their cards.

I’d love to be a fly on the wall in the AMD offices (particularly their GPU section). It’s odd how they ended up getting totally left behind in the physics-related arena to this extent.

• marach says:

It’s not strange at all it’s called “NV pumped $2Billion to game companies this year so they’d use PhysX” added to that is the fact that PhysX works just as well on AMD hardware with hacked drivers… NV could open PhysX to everyone by rewritting the CPU code so it no longer uses x87 calls or just removing the GPU brand check from the GPU version.

• Hug_dealer says:

The only reason we have this PC exclusive stuff is because Nvidia has helped fun and implement this stuff. So thank Nvidia for this stuff instead of the terrible port we had last time.

• socrate says:

wow you see the most stupid comment sometime….you do know that we are getting a better game now because PC version of borderland 1 sold quite well and totally not because we got nvidia to “fun and implement” thing like you said,physx could easily be put on any card these days but Nvidia are keeping control of it to force us to switch to them

and this could have been implemented from the game itself really.

also physx although this time it actually does look like it does something for once,will drop your FPS by 30%…if you are lucky…i would say it might go to 60% with everything going on in the game in some firefight from the first borderland.

i really wish they would put their effort elsewhere,but meh gaming today is all about being a sellout and satisfying a bunch of kid that are just there for graphic then get tired and say the game suck after 10 min

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

I don’t know, I wasn’t that impressed by the physx stuff, really. The fluids look especially bad.

Still, a shame that many gaming publishers/devs seem to encourage a monopoly in the video-card market rather than discourage it.

• meatshit says:

Same here. The cloth physics were the only thing that looked genuinely good. The rest of it either looks terrible or is so over-the-top that’s it’s going to get annoying quick.

• monomer says:

I’m not sure the term monopoly is being used correctly here… Nvidia having it’s own dedicated physics tech, and their pursuit of developers, is GOOD for the market; AMD is perfectly capable of coming up with their own answer to it if they feel like it, and the fact that developers are willing to jump on board with tech like this is the prize that both corporations are vying for. That sense of competition is the exact opposite of a monopoly. If it was a monopoly, nobody would be able to challenge Nvidia, and thus they wouldn’t even need to develop or market newe features.

8. Sisco says:

Watch out, that Red Fist Rebellion is very similar to some other “Rebellion”. Someone might get sued…

• Kollega says:

But they aren’t using the word “Rebellion”, now are they?

Now Vlad Dracula, on the other hand… this guy probably will sue them.

• iniudan says:

Looked more like a “Revolution” to me.

9. Kollega says:

I can’t wait for Borderlands 2. I’ve already pre-ordered it because it’s certain the game will be at the very least good, and now just have to wait for a month and three days (damn you, Oceans of the Internet!).

The only two ways this can get better is if i get a new video card that can actually run PhysX effects, and if all manufacturers have commercials, leitmotifs, manufacturer-specific vending machines, and other such things within the game itself. After all, the most important thing in Borderlands are GUNS.

10. Rovac says:

This is so cool.
    Sadly, I can’t play this game even if I wanted it to. My pc is horrible, I don’t think it’s qualified to play even with the lowest setting.
    I better upgrade right away

11. Cold Steel says:

PC only things are nice and all but what about the Controls? Will they be a consolified mess as last time? What about FoV? Will we still be able to have .ini tweaks to sail around the roughest parts of porting?

And the most important question, will it be fun to play? I couldn’t really connect with the first iteration and it became “Boredlands” for me quite quickly.

• Kollega says:

I’m not sure what qualifies controls as “consolified mess” to you, but the FoV slider has been confirmed. It’s even mentioned in the manual (which was leaked somehow). Also from the manual, we know for certain that all menus will support mouse navigation, and that there are nice little things like “Gunzerking Autoswitch” (a function that makes left mouse button fire your left gun instead of your “primary” (i.e. right) gun). The latter had me convinced that controls are going to be good, because developers thought of such vital detail.

• Archonsod says:

Given this is aiming at more of the same, I doubt you’re going to like it if you didn’t like the first one.

• Chromie192 says:

@Cold Steel I think you need to take a look at this.

This pretty much sums up everything included for the PC version.

•FOV slider
      •100% mouse usable menus/mouse wheel scrolling
      •Remappable keybindings for keyboard/mouse
      •PC-specific UI
      •Native multiplayer matchmaking
      •Push to talk
      •Logitech keyboard support
      •LAN support (including offline mode)
      •Control pad support
      •Integrated V-sync option
      •Support for higher resolutions
      •Mouse smoothing options (can be disabled completely)
      •Cloud save support
      •Achievement support
      •Friends list support
      •No port forwarding required

• po says:

•Server executable.
        •Mod development tools.

Still got a long way to go before it’s not console influenced and thoroughly lacking compared to PC games from over 15 years ago.

• magnus says:

I must not use the ‘E’ word, I must not use the ‘E word.

• Amun says:

The sooner you stop wanting to use the E word the sooner you’ll become a better member of a capitalist society. We’re the consumers, we decide what happens in the market. We tell companies to give us a product worth buying, not the other way around!

• gunny1993 says:

Is there really much point having Dedicated servers on a game that only has 4 play co-op, seems a bit impracticle.

If i have missunderstood something please enlighten me.

DogPawHat says:

Left 4 Dead 2 and Killing Floor both have dedicated server capacity. ATM Borderlands uses a local server model, which can cause quite a bit of lag without the right connection.

• gunny1993 says:

Ahhh yeah that does make more sense than p2p

12. Cytrom says:

Some of the physx effects looked decent and will surely play around a little with them, but most of it was just distracting and will probably murder my fps…

I’d rather have some more meaningful physical interactions that runs on all brands of videocards.

• gunny1993 says:

Thing i don’t uinderstand is why havn’t ATI developed a software system to match it like the did to combat Nvidias 3D. and Nvidia did to combat eyeinfinity

• Amun says:

Because that’s not their job. They make devices that can run code, they don’t need to write the code also.

DarkLiberator says:

I see Physx as a marketing gimmick, not really worth the drop in fps, will definitely disable that crap and focus on gameplay aspects.

• TechnicalBen says:

I went a step further and got an ATI (AMD) card out of protest to PhysX. I’m not supporting closed systems like this that “punish” half of the users. I’ve run Physx at full speed on AMD systems (using a config change to trick it into thinking I had a NVIDIA card) so I know my older laptop can run this stuff. For NVIDIA/Borderlands 2 to lock me out of it, is just not fair play. :-/

• xenogrant says:

It’s not half, more like third, and if you got an ATI card to protest PhysX, then why are you emulating it on an ATI card, don’t use it if you’re protesting it altogether. It’s like going on hunger strike, but still eating.

• Grygus says:

The July 2012 Steam hardware survey has nVidia cards in 46.52% of gamers’ machines. Some of those are going to be old nVidia cards. Sounds like a lot more than a third are affected to me.

• TechnicalBen says:

Read again. ;)

I got an ATI card because they use more open software (Havok, opencl, DirectX 11 or whatever). I know for a fact that PhysX can be run on an ATI card or at least on CPU. I did not say I got an ATI card to play PhysX games.

I don’t want to support proprietary software in this instance. Not for hardware anyhow, as it would create a monopoly that would be too easy to abuse.

• gunny1993 says:

Normally i agree i mean it isn’t really worth seeing the 30-40% fps drop for it. It does look amazing but for that kind of drop no thank you (and i own a GTX 670).

But this is the perfect game for it, for me a 30% fps drop will lower me maxed out on borderlands 1 to around 80 fps, so if 2 is simular to 1 i shouldn’t go below 60 odd.

Still it is a dick movie by NV havinga monopoly on this tech.l (also why hasn’t ATI devloped their own software tpo combat it?)

• TechnicalBen says:

They HAVE. But making a game “PhysX by NVIDIA” no doubt means there is less time to program in a different physics engine. NVIDIA will charge ATI to use the tech. If it’s open, ATI can use it for free. If it’s closed, it’s very hard for ATI to really get it included. Not the most fair thing to do IMO.

• gunny1993 says:

Well AMD have been losing the market for a while tbh, they’ve been slaughter since quad core cpus were released and their top end gpus haven’t beaten Nvidia for a long time as far as i’m away. They need to shape up or ship out.

14. robandr3w5 says:

The fact that you find the ending to the Tediore one funny is just another example of insensitive brinkmanship and ‘edge’ from RPS. My uncle had both his elbows torn off by a rampaging sloth (the sleepy killer) and can no longer hold his 24 year old daughter. Frankly, I’m sickened.

• oligopolycorp says:

What’s a rampaging sloth? I live in USA, so don’t understand what a rampaging sloth is.

15. Navagon says:

Nice to see they’re focussing a lot more on PC graphics capabilities this time around. Not even having so much as anti-aliasing (natively) in the previous game did suck, as the graphical style demanded it. At least it could be forced on externally.

The only other comparable example of PhysX in an FPS was Cryostasis’ water gun that only appeared in the game when you have an Nvidia card. It had the same kind of liquid effects as in that above trailer.

16. Sian says:

What, no Jakobs advert? “If it took more than one shot, you weren’t using a Jakobs!” Are there no Jakobs guns in the game? /sadface

• Kollega says:

Chill out, bro – there are eight weapon manufacturers in the game. Bandits, Dahl, Hyperion, Jakobs, Maliwan, Tediore, Torgue, and Vladof. But there are only three of these weapon commercials, at least so far.

17. TechnicalBen says:

Wait? So they decided to use a physics engine that is only available on one brand of hardware? I’m not impressed here. :(

• Hug_dealer says:

physx was in the first borderlands also, only it didnt have any of the extra fancy stuff.

Physx is just like havoc at its basic level. Then they can add the stuff that is shown in videos that need some GPU support, or a hella strong cpu.

18. Abbykins says:

The unskippable NVidia ad with the annoying robot at startup was almost intolerable in Borderlands 1. As another Radeon user, won’t be getting this until massively discounted on Steam.

• gunny1993 says:

You have a very low tolerance levels lol. And if you had uysed google you would have found out it takes about 40 odd seconds to make that skippable.

• Advanced Assault Hippo says:

Actually, there was simple change to a config file to remove the startup videos in Borderlands on PC. It’s on google.

19. Hug_dealer says:

anyone complaining about the use of Physx need to realize one thing. Nvidia made this stuff happen. It would have been a simple port had nvidia not stepped in and helped fund and show how to implement this stuff.

Sure it sucks for AMD users, but your vendor didnt support the game. Also the first game used physx.

Foosnark says:

I know I’m going to love this game, but I honestly can’t get excited about the same damn cloth demo I first saw in 2003 that was supposed to be in a product I was working on and we gave up on it because it was too buggy and required too many crazy hacks to even pretend it was working.

Ageia developed PhysX back when they thought they were going to sell hardware. Along came multicore CPUs that could run it faster than their hardware could. Oops. Then NVidia bought them, got it running on CUDA and it’s pretty much still the same mess it was before.

• Hug_dealer says:

a few games have used it fantastically, Batman, and Mafia 2. But overall i agree. To much work for to little gain.

21. Mohorovicic says:

Where the hell is DAHL? “Dead customers can’t be repeat customers” is one of the best company slogans ever.

22. stupid_mcgee says:

Sociopath test? Watch the movie, “The Invention of Lying.” If you don’t tear up at least a little bit during the hospital scene, then you’re without empathy.