Boney Fide: 30 Flights Of Loving Arrives

By Alec Meer on August 21st, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

What's his job?

I’m currently pretending to be a robot who turns into a big red lorry, otherwise I would be ALL OVER Thirty Flights of Loving, Blendo Games’ mini-sequel to the incomparable Gravity Bone. Folks who helped start Idle Thumbs’ kicks have already had access to this tale of cuboid, supercool spies for a little while, but it’s now available either direct from the dev or via Steam. Obviously the former is a better way to show your appreciation, but the latter comes up slightly cheaper – £3.59 rather than £4.13. I am sure it will be money well-spent either way. It is of course highly unprofessional to judge games without having played them, but I am SUPREMELY CONFIDENT that this will be excellent. You can tell by the way I’ve randomly and childishly capitalised words in this post.

Here’s the trailer from a month back, but all being well I shall bring you OPINIONS very soon.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Enzo says:

Looks really similar to Mechwarrior.

2. Jason Moyer says:

His job is to be a big stompy robot blowing other big stompy robots apart.

3. circadianwolf says:

Robert Yang really liked it: http://www.blog.radiator.debacle.us/2012/08/thirty-flights-of-loving-by-brendon.html

“It was noon and I had just completed Brendon Chung’s new release, Thirty Flights of Loving.

“For about ten minutes, I just sat there, staring at the end screen, silent. Then I started pounding the desk and screaming uncontrollably and curling into a fetal position, for the only sensible response to staring directly into the face of genius is utter insanity. Nearby classmates stared at me but I didn’t care. I couldn’t get any work done for the rest of the day. I was inconsolable.

“(You may think I’m exaggerating. I’m not. I had no control over my mind nor body.)”

4. squareking says:

Picture not related.

5. Teovald says:

If I buy the game directly from the dev, do I also get a steam key ?
    and when I activate that key, is the dev supposed to pay something to valve ?

• Dr. Evanzan says:

I’ve wondered how this works.
      Same thing with retail copies being registered on Steam, does Valve get reimbursed by the publisher if you register your copy of the game on Steam?

• ColOfNature says:

Wasn’t that mentioned in a recent PCGamer UK podcast? I’m pretty sure someone said that if a game gets on Steam the dev gets unlimited keys to sell themselves at no cost. At the time I figured that might make sense to Valve as once the game is on there they’re guaranteed to make at least some money from it, and their costs for distribution of one small indie game would be vanishingly small. But I may be misremembering or just plain wrong.

• Hulk Handsome says:

I emailed him for a Steam key. He just asked for my receipt then sent it over quickly. Would buy again A+++ seller.

6. Bobsy says:

You’re playing Fall of Cybertron, Alec? But what about the hurtful last-second putting-back-the-release-by-two-days thing?

7. GriffinPuncher says:

Gravity Bone. What a game. Thank god they made a sequel.

• Geen says:

Thank you, O’ Great Cthulhu, for answering my prayers at last. Gravity Bone was beautiful, both in story and art, and so is this.

8. rustybroomhandle says:

Gravity Bone… yeah, I have that problem too, but at least there’s medication for it.

• Skabooga says:

My only regret . . . is that I have boneitis.

My brother turned me on to Gravity Bone, so I pretty much have to get him Thirty Flights of Loving in appreciation.

9. Inglourious Badger says:

I completely forgot this was happening. More Gravity Bone! Yippee!

10. Similar says:

Might be worth mentioning that Thirty Flights of Loving has an option to play Gravity Bone too, so you get both games when you buy TFL (I haven’t played Gravity Bone, so I don’t know if there are any differences in this version). There’s also a commentary mode for TFL.

11. Bhazor says:

I really liked Gravity Bone.

But this was a real disapointment.
    Its just not as good. Everything about it is just not as good.

It’s completely lost any semblance of game play with the only interaction being to move forward and click the one item which brings up a prompt. The most obnoxious example being the cart sequence where you really just walk 10 meters in a line until you teleport to the next segment where you walk another 10 meters in a straight line. There is a couple of neat touches in there like if you play with the commentary on* you can have a look around the cutaways and there’s a couple of fun jokes knocking about. But theres nothing approaching the chase from Gravity Bone in here and the whole thing just feels like a cutscene. Though people said the same about Gravity Bone the truth is this just isn’t a particularly good cutscene and certainly didn’t have the pace, humour or effortless cool of Gravity Bone.

Honestly, after paying £4 I feel short changed. Though as a bonus it did come with Gravity Bone and with that in mind I can justify the price as a kind of tip.

*off topic but why don’t all games have directors commentaries? Love that stuff and yes I know that makes me a “that guy”.

12. Shazbut says:

Gravity Bone is utterly brilliant and I have wanted a sequel for the last infinite years.

13. cai says:

I can confirm that this is excellent. Lots of cheeky little winks to the player if you keep your eyes open. Also, if you were a Thumbs backer, don’t forget to play through again in “Puffin Mode”. It’s a whole different game.

14. MrTambourineMan says:

Ok, bought it. Good thing for dev that I just had a few beers and I’m feeling rather generous ;)

15. Dr I am a Doctor says:

Is it like Gravity Bone in the fact it’s 10 minutes long?

16. jimmyhill says:

I would have rather had 30 Flights be free and pay for Gravity Bone, what a let down. First time I played GB it took me over 30 minutes then I did it again a few times to take even more in. This game lasted me only 14 minutes, less emotional attachment and less interaction. I am so disappointed, I have loved all of Blendo Games except this one.

Despite my disappointment in length and gameplay the art style is beautiful and there are so many details in the environment and the music is great. So that much is at least in it, but if I had the option I would have never paid for this had I known before hand how lacking it was compared to GB.

• qrter says:

See it as retro-actively paying for the excellent time you had with Gravity Bone.

• Gonefornow says:

Pretty much the same feelings for me as well.

It’s not a game rather a virtual linear minimalistic story.. thing. If it had any good gameplay in it, I would just be annoyed by the linearity.

I see it as retro-actively paying for the excellent timeI had with Atom Zombie Smasher.
      I got it in a bundle after all.

17. Lambchops says:

Looking forward to it and even if it does disappoint I’ll just see it as payment for the excellence of Gravity Bone.

18. jbjbjb says:

I wish it were a little more game-like. When I first played Gravitybone I spent the whole time waiting for the action to kick in, whereas I knew this would be an interactive cutscene within the first couple minutes.

That said, the atmosphere/mood is still top-notch and I’m still holding out hope that someday I’ll get to see a Citizen Abel experience that lasts at least an hour.

19. RobF says:

Totally enjoyed this and played it through a couple of times to pick up the bits I didn’t quite catch on to. Completely impressed by how balls out willing it is to be unvideogame at times whilst still being very much videogame.

Smart, smart stuff.