Oh And Also: King’s Bounty: Warriors of the North

By Jim Rossignol on August 22nd, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

My garden looks a lot like this.
I thought we’d mentioned this last week, but perhaps not. Anyway, King’s Bounty: Warriors of the North is another reason to return to the beautiful RPG/TBS hybrid lands of King’s Bounty, this time in the cold of The North, and if there’s one thing The North does well, it’s warriors: “The Mighty Olaf, son of the Konung of Northlings, has dedicated his life to battling the undead who have infested the northern lands of Endoria.” I might have dedicated my life to something similar, had I not been a soft Southern pansy. There still doesn’t seem to be a release date for this, but there is a fancy new trailer of all-game footage, which you can see below. Lovely, lovely.

, .

1. Ninja Foodstuff says:

Obligatory “still haven’t fixed the bugs in the last version” post.
    Although to be fair the bugs only affect the Mac version, so who cares, right?

Otherwise I am looking forward to this.

2. Jason Moyer says:

I tried to give Crossworlds a go recently, and I couldn’t get past more than a few hours without getting bored. I absolutely *love* The Legend, but playing the exact same game again minus the amazing weirdness just wasn’t worth it. I can’t imagine doing it for a third time unless they seriously up their game.

• dE says:

Same here, I absolutely loved the game in The Legend. But for some reason I bounced right off Crossworlds. In my case it probably was the disjointed storyline. It felt like I was playing several completely disconnected Pen and Paper Custom Campaigns. Each one masterfully crafted but only ever held together by a character sheet.

• Chmilz says:

Love the base game, but it’s really gotten repetitive. They need to add more units, unit upgrades, and unique monsters and stuff to keep it fresh. Even Armored Princess, while good, felt like a grind in the end.

3. killias2 says:

I swear to God, I’m the only person in the world who didn’t like The Legend. I guess I only put a few hours into it, but everything about it seemed generic, uninteresting, and unpolished.

As a sidenote, I’m a fan of HoMM (especially 3), and my main genres are typically strategy games and RPGs.

• Baines says:

I haven’t made it through The Legend. I like the game, but it *does* feel a bit… I don’t know. Dull? Slow? Repetitive? Regardless of the word, it feels more a chore to play that I’d like. There’s a nice game idea there, and I want to like it, but when I play it, it feels too much like a slog at times.

I haven’t even installed Armored Princess or Crossworlds. (I got all three in a Steam sale package, I believe.)

4. MythArcana says:

Perhaps I’ll check this out while I wait for Masters of the Broken World.

5. Zeewolf says:

Looks nice, loved The Legend, but at this point what I want is King’s Bounty 2.

6. iucounu says:

ROSSIGNOL! WHAT IS BEST IN LIFE?

Ksempac says:

I just finished The Legend after 100+h of play in Hard Difficulty (was good, but it gets boring at the end), and that trailer looks exactly like it. Same creatures, same spells, same graphics…

That’s their third game (fourth if you include Crossworlds), and they’re only some minor changes on skills ? Are they expecting us to do the same thing other and other ?

It feels like on one of theses odd simulator game serie with niche appeal, where they put up new versions every year with almost nothing new, just enough to get the few fans to get it and still make a profit.

• squareking says:

I was about to say…I’ve maybe 25h put in The Legend and this looks largely the same. I’m all for “if it ain’t broke,” but I need something to get into it. I still have the other 2 KB games to get through and apparently they aren’t up to the level of amazing of The Legend.

Mildly sad.

• Eskatos says:

Personally I thought Armored Princess was much better than The Legend. Better balance, better unit variety, better story. It did have a lot less of the weird stuff like zombie marrying though, which was a shame.

• Caiman says:

There looks like a fair chunk of new stuff actually, extra variety in spells, heroes, places to explore obviously, all part of what makes the game appealing although obviously mixed in with the old. Will be interesting to see whether the potential game-play changing features they hint at on the official site actually shake things up enough though. Still, let’s hope this is a stop gap while they continue work on a true sequel.

8. Symbul says:

That just looks like a mod for for Armored Princess. I mean, I like AP but that doesn’t look particularly fresh.

9. NathanH says:

I hope they’ve removed the necessity to continually backtrack to replenish your armies, that was really tedious and the only bad thing about the games.

10. Drinking with Skeletons says:

My big complaint with this series is that there is no constancy in your troops. I’m not saying they should get rid of the creature huts or anything, but in a strategy/tactics game I like to have some constants that I can fall back on. For example, in Heroes of Might and Magic I generally dislike it when a hero has an army composed of units outside of his/her race/faction in large part because it means that I lose out, to some degree, on the hero’s racial/faction bonus. Since the game is also (sort-of) an RPG, it seems like they should at least consider some level of persistence and specialization for army composition.