A Slice Of Puppy: Sleeping Dogs Demo

By John Walker on August 23rd, 2012 at 8:00 am.

I wish this game did feature sleepy dogs.

The minute I see a dog that’s fallen asleep, I just go berserk. It infuriates me. I absolutely will not tolerate it. And a good way to keep them awake is by blasting out the noise car-chasy Sleeping Dogs at full volume. But what’s that? You don’t know if you want to commit your money to a project with such a chequered past? Then why not check out the demo? EH?

Downloaded through Steam, the demonstration will let you play with the martial arts, street running, and rooftop jumping, then leaps ahead to a later level when you’re given a gun. The bit Alec says isn’t as good.

This is what the game looks like when it moves:

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. BrendanJB says:

Wait, you mean I can play a small part of the game to assess whether or not I enjoy it’s mechanics, ideas, and themes, and then base my purchasing decision on the quality of the product I have experienced, rather than the marketing and hype behind it?

What an absolutely novel idea. This will change the industry as we know it.

2. thaumoradiance says:

Thanks, going to try it as soon as I manage to free up some disk space (and no, I don’t need “advice” on doing that). The real question is, though, will it run on my Puppy Linux?

3. Lydia says:

I’m sorry but it’s impossible to make demos for open world games. Or have you all forgotten what Pete Hines said ? And even if it is possible, it costs millions of dollars to pull off. Is it worth it for a mere 7% of pc gamers ? I think not.
    Can you guys recommend me a good console or should I just buy them all ?

4. Gnoupi says:

That is some horrifying title.

• JoeGuy says:

lol…. and how angry he gets at sleeping puppies. Although I have to admit, I get awfully tempted to wake up my dog whenever I see him sleeping.

5. Riaktion says:

Hey RPS! Just a query, how come you highlight some demo’s over others, I don’t recall you guys saying you’re really looking forward to this, or it is particularly excellent… it might be.. just curious to know the decision making process.

• Optimaximal says:

It’s a demo of a recent ‘big-enough’ open-world game for PC in a day and age where people don’t usually make demos for recent ‘big-enough’ open-world games for PC.

Usually we get in either 6 months down the line or not at all.

• Torn says:

It’s also supposed to be a rather excellent port

• Nick says:

It is, there is really only one issue I have with it, mouse camera control when driving is basically impossible, but thankfully the driving camera works well without interferance so it didn’t take long to get used to.

Actually really loving this game.

• orient says:

The game looks amazing at times (HD textures on) and runs nicely, but I’ve had a few issues — the first update (Steam) completely deleted a car from my game (think it was pre-order DLC?) and done some mild damage to my save game so it doesn’t remember what I’m wearing.

Also, I have to run in a window to remove frame-skipping while driving — a problem quite a few people are encountering, apparently.

Apart from that, it’s a cool game. Having a lot of fun with it.

6. Similar says:

Nice. When I first started to hear about Sleeping Dogs, I got the impression it was just a quick generic console port, but they seem to be doing a number of things right. And people even seem to be enjoying the game too.

7. Belua says:

Tried to download it last night, only to be greeted by Steam’s “This is not available in your region. Also, we hate you” message. Sometimes I hate this country.

Is there a non-Steam version of the demo?

• thaumoradiance says:

I’m actually surprised the game’s available in my country; here in ex-USSR countries we usually tend to get the short end of the stick (read: bastardized Russian localized copies).

Doesn’t look like there is a non-Steam version (yet), as GamersHell – who usually have that sorts of stuff – do not happen to be in possession of this one.

…On a completely unrelated note, can anyone help me with setting up a link/homepage/website on my profile here? Sadly I admit that I can’t pay you for the deed in puppies (or kittens).

8. Memph says:

This is great. Been wanting to try it, but I rarely get on with city sandbox games enough to buy on release.

Penny Arcade also brought up Sqeenix being a champion for the PC with their ports lately.

9. Kleppy says:

Nice, this will help me decide if I should get it for the PC or 360.

10. UncleLou says:

Nice and completely unexpected – what people said about the car handling and guns put me off a little, now I’ll just try it for myself.

11. roryok says:

de-mo. deemo? dem-oh.

that’s a word you don’t see too often.

12. Belsameth says:

I loved the game, finished it the weekend after it came out. Guns are not all that great but the martial arts is top notch, I think.

• arboreal says:

I’m still trying to get over 90 on all the karaoke songs. Found all the health shrines and hacked all the cameras. 3 jade statues left to locate and loads of safe boxes. I’ve just got the achievement for completing 25% of the missions and have only done 1 of the races and found 3 cars for Tran. According to Steam I’ve played for 22 hours. How on earth did you do it in a weekend?

I agree about the fighting, it took me a while to get used to the more defensive approach but really enjoy taking on large groups now.

13. methodology says:

While I do enjoy the game, I don’t understand why people keep putting it up as the champion of pc game porting… The mouse control is possibly the worst I’ve EVER experienced in any pc game. It’s like they emulated the mouse control into a thumbstick. The graphics options (which atleast exists compared to darksiders i guess) are extremely wonky. The camera fights you constantly and there’s no fov control yet again.

• SirKicksalot says:

The camera kinda sucks with a controller too.

• Nick says:

Thats a bit far, on foot the mouse control is perfectly fine, the camera control in vehicles is terrible though, just don’t touch the mouse and its playable. I can’t imagine it will be that hard to patch either.

14. Desmolas says:

Wow, i can’t remember the last time there was a demo so soon after release of a big-budget game. Its almost as if they trust their game is quality rather than trust their marketing is going to rope you into the purchase.

• Desmolas says:

Ach! Now that i’ve actually played the demo. The mouse control has put me right off. It felt sluggish during the brawling part but it was playable. Then i picked up a gun and it became unplayable. It feels like simulated wireless controller input lag.

• Nick says:

that’s odd, its perfectly playable for me, wonder if the demo is basd on different code or something. Or if it varies from mouse to mouse.

15. djim says:

The game is great fun. Smart move to release a demo imo.

16. PatrickSwayze says:

It’s a good demo too! Instabuy! LOOK AT THAT PUBLISHERS. ME BUYING A GAME INSTANTLY ON STRENGTH OF DEMO. MADNESS

17. povu says:

I wish we had OnLive style streamed demos. Much more convenient than downloading a 3GB demo.

18. Greggh says:

Oh nice! Thanks for letting us know ’bout that – I almost always forget to check the demos section of Steam

19. buzzmong says:

Oh, awesome. Downloading now as I wanted to give the game a bit of try before I put my money down for it.

I do miss the days when the demo came out *before* the game actually was released, so you could actually try it and then buy it on day 1 if you liked it, but still, can’t complain too much as it’s rare to even get a demo these days.

20. sfaok says:

The article screenshot is a pretty big spoiler surely?

21. Cold Steel says:

The Mouse + Keyboard controls are terrible.

22. TehK says:

Meh… not for us silly old Germans. Steam tells us that “This item is currently unavailable in your region”

Why, Steam? Why? What have we done to you?

23. YourMessageHere says:

“why not check out the demo? EH?”

Because although it runs on a PS3 and even a pissing Xbox, I can’t have nice things because I run Windows XP. I can’t play this unless I shell out the price of a new console for Windows 7. Admittedly this is the single biggest argument for doing so since Win 7 came out, but it’s a lot of money I don’t want to spend on an OS that does nothing I want other than support DX10 and up (for marketing reasons only, naturally).

Comment on this story