Thief ‘N Stuff: Dishonored’s Stealth Study Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on August 23rd, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

Oh eye.
I know there’s an entire army of your screwing up your eyes and refusing to look at another jot of Dishonored coverage until it arrives in October, but for those not yet convinced there’s still more to be seen. The latest game footage trailer (below) lays out a chunk of stealth business, which is something trailers seem to ignore when they are dealing with stealth games. Not so here, as you can observe from this. And that bit with the candle at 0.58 is really neat. I had not seen that before.

Yesterday we published my chat with the game’s co-lead, Raf Colantonio. So have a read of that. If you want. No one’s forcing you. Not yet, anyway.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. db1331 says:

I really hope you can increase that fov.

• woodsey says:

You can. Was mentioned by a dev on their official forums a while ago – the PC version seems to have a pretty extensive feature list.

• db1331 says:

It’s sad that I’m actually surprised by this, but that is certainly good news.

• SelfEsteemFund says:

Changing fov in UE3 titles has nearly always been possible one way or another, no word on viewmodel fov though which is what actually worries me. I personally can’t stand games which have hands/weapons so close to the screen as it gives me nausea & a headache.. especially when they bob heavily (eg. killing floor).

• Arkon540 says:

Woodsey, I would refer you to several other examples, but primarily Borderlands 1, where we were promised a PC experience and got completely shafted on that one(Not to mention the whole complete change of focus at the last minute debacle, but that’s mostly unrelated). I don’t know how trustworthy these Dishonored promises are, but at one time I considered the Borderland devs above blatant lying as well.

My rule of thumb: If it’s a multi-platform release, it will NEVER be ‘right’ for the PC gamers. If the devs cared enough to make a decent PC experience they wouldn’t bother with the console versions at all, because they would be interested in making an actually good game and not a multi-plat AAA cash cow. You might think I’m over-exaggerating but I honestly haven’t been satisfied with a console port, no matter how good, in a very long time, if ever. I can enjoy some, like Assassin’s Creed, but they are never ‘right’. They don’t feel like PC games.

• Kestrel says:

I really hope the PC version doesn’t tell me to “HOLD RB BUTTON.”

• woodsey says:

The HUD is entirely customisable too.

• ArcaneSaint says:

This just keeps getting better and better.

Almost sounds too good to be true, to be honest.

• Snidesworth says:

Arkane are the studio behind Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah of Might & Magic, both of which were primarily PC games. It’s not that great a surprise that they know the sort of things that PC gamers want in terms of options.

• rawrty says:

Yeah…I can’t tell if this is going to be like ass creed or something more fun. Playing asscreed made me feel like I was just pushing buttons to get through a story as opposed to actually playing a game.

I mean is it going to be just walking through the game world and reacting whenever it tells me to PUSH B or whatever? The trailers look good but I’m not convinced there’s a game here.

• Unaco says:

What? I’m going to assume you haven’t seen or read anything else about this game.

• rawrty says:

No, I haven’t. I guess from your reaction that the game is going to be more than just a handholding story-time. Nothing wrong with that mind you, I just don’t want to get my expectations up if it’s just another asscreed. I guess I’ll go back and read some more about this when I get a chance.

• rawrty says:

OK, sounds interesting. Missions are more open than I thought. Still not completely sold though, it will be something to revisit during the steam Xmas sale.

• Brun says:

It’s not really like AssCreed at all. It really appears to be more of a mashup of Deus Ex, Bioshock, Half-Life 2, and Thief.

• Shooop says:

It’s like Thief I’m told (I never played Thief) and Hitman.

You have an objective, but the game stops hand-holding there. It’s all up to you how you want to proceed with the objective(s) like figuring out exactly who your target is (the Lady Boyle mission randomizes the Boyle sister you’re to kill), and how you get to them.

The developers also said they’re less concerned with making you too powerful and more concerned with how much fun you can have with your powers. And that itself is refreshing to hear – a game that’s being made to be fun instead of just telling you an overwrought story it cost $2 million to get all the voice acting for so they feel you need to appreciate it with cutscenes.

• rawrty says:

Yeah, I got more of a Deus Ex vibe from the reviews given all the superhuman abilities and mission structures than Thief. Definitely sounds much better than asscreed. I actually enjoyed DX:HR, but glad I waited for a sale. Probably will do the same for this.

It is good to know they are more concerned about creatively using your abilities. Any stealth game should be like that: more about level design, forcing you to think creatively and not just making sure you have an optimal build/weapon/etc so you can blast through everything.

Those type of games are the ones that really have the best moments in them for me. Being forced to think of some other option than just blowing everything away and then having it actually work more or less as you intended. Unfortunately they are so far and few in between I’m a bit reserved with expectations now.

• Brun says:

I included Bioshock and Half-Life 2 mainly for the artistic and thematic similarities (and Bioshock for the magic powers). Gameplay-wise it definitely leans more toward Deus Ex and Thief.

• Rinimand says:

Just seeing “Hold RB” on the screen turns me right off this game. It’s like “here’s your dinner, now swallow”. Ugh – spoon fed console ports suck. That, plus
        - the hand-crossbow was silly (not to scale, didn’t even move his right hand to compensate for pulling out a pre-loaded hand crossbow)
        - “dark vision” is mightily silly
        - blink ability is even just mightily sillier
        - the doors just seemed to open magically – ugh
        - graphics barely stand up against original Thief Dark Project graphics
        - everything was too well lit to consider this a “first-person-sneaker”
        Whomever played through the original Thief would want this to be AT LEAST to that standard … (now those were some really comforting shadows in that game – shadows there felt better than having a BFG)

• Shooop says:

I don’t even know where to start dissecting the sheer idiocy of your post.

Either look up some other previews like the ones RPS has done or just stop posting period.

2. GallonOfAlan says:

The bit with the candle? You can do that in every Thief game – or do you mean you hadn’t seen it in Dishonored?

3. Brise Bonbons says:

This is actually the first bit of video or news from Dishonored that really gets my attention. I think it was putting out the candles, or perhaps playing the harp.

I was also strongly impressed by their overall restraint. I expected the now ubiquitous blood fountain as your character buries his dagger in some poor guard’s neck, but it never appeared. This alone raises my respect for the developers by several points, especially given that trailers of late seem to be interested in nothing so much as showing how edgy and violent they can be.

• mikmanner says:

They missed a trick at the end, when the rocket hits the player the film should have gone into a cool stutter and then smashed into a phat dubstep drop with loads of quick cuts of violence and explosions.

• ArcaneSaint says:

And they should have used real actors instead of just showing in-game footage.

No live action trailer? No buy.

• BenLeng says:

Nice. In the future I will use these comments to calibrate my sarcasm-meter.

• Brise Bonbons says:

Ah yes, I see it now. 5 minutes of a prostitute talking to a guard in a dingy bedroom. The guard can pour out his grief at watching all his friends die one by one, and finally collapse in the prostitute’s gentle embrace. Then they both get stabbed.

Well, maybe it wouldn’t be exactly like that. They’d get eaten by magic rats. But that would be hard to do in live action… Damn, this live action trailer stuff is hard!

4. Sparkasaurusmex says:

Putting out candles is cool (and actually something I expected to be able to do in Dishonored) but I hate it when stealth games have invincible lights. I’m hoping you can shoot (most of them) out or something.

• Gregg B says:

Yeah definitely. That’s still one of the reasons I liked Rebellion’s AvP from 1999 over the more recent offerings: you could take out lights. Monolith ditched this in the sequel and, having not played it, I suspect the new AvP has baked-in lights as well, which is a shame given the dynamics borne out of the darkness, the different vision modes of the three playable creatures, the flares and the inimitable sound of the motion tracker. All those elements worked together so well, particularly in multiplayer.

5. Crimsoneer says:

Insightful.

6. mouton says:

I, for one, would have no problem with captcha in my comment form.

7. ArcaneSaint says:

What is this I don’t even…

Are you a spam bot or just very good at imitating one?

edit: and now that the spam post is gone this reply just looks weird. Oh well.

8. Schaulustiger says:

Was that the voice of Nick Breckon?

9. UmmonTL says:

While it looks good so far I have to nitpick a bit. I hope that sneak-mode doesn’t disable your sounds entirely like it was said in the video. I always liked that in thief certain floors made it impossible to move completely silentl. You had to stick to the carpet or use moss arrows (which was a bit silly in its own way). At least on harder difficulties sneaking around should be a decent challenge.
    Also I don’t know much about this game yet but did that guy teleport around there?

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Yes, it is called the “blink” skill and seems to be a major mechanic in this game.

• HothMonster says:

Optional major mechanic is how I understand it. I believe you can not put any points into it and have a fine time.

• Shooop says:

I thought they said blink and dark vision were the two powers you have by default and can use at any time.

• Cheers says:

Both the fact that all surfaces make the same noise (none if you’re in “sneak mode”/crouch) and the teleport power (“Blink”) serve the same purpose: to make the game “Thief on speed”.
            (to make a sneaky but dynamic game)

By the way you cannot use blink and dark vision indefinitely but every time the mana bar runs out it will regenerate a small amount of mana just enough for one(!) blink or dark vision to use.

10. TheApologist says:

I hope their EU localisation stretches to spelling their game title correctly? Otherwise I’m boycotting.

11. derbefrier says:

this game just keeps looking better and better.

any word on any kind of mod tools? This seems to be the only remaining question I haven’t seen an answer too. It wont keep me from buying it if there isn’t but man i sure hope there is and I hope it uses steam workshop

12. airtekh says:

I really wanted to pre-order Dishonored, since it looks like my kind of game, but ever since they released the system requirements I’ve decided to hold off, because mine doesn’t meet the minimum spec.

I hope they release a demo so I can double check.

13. Oneah says:

The only issue i got with this is that they are showing so much of the game in these videos. I know nobody forced me to see them but i kinda wish they would keep a lot of the gimmicks hidden so we have the pleasure to figure them out.

14. Ian says:

I’d imagine I’d have cacked my pants if I was stealthing around, opened a door and saw there was a tallboy glaring down at me.

15. SkittleDiddler says:

The amount of press and marketing going into this game is completely turning me off to it. While 99% of the internet has a collective orgasm over Dishonored, I’ve decided to sit back and wait for non-payola release reviews to start showing up.

16. Yosharian says:

Yep, not gonna look at this!

17. Hardlylikely says:

This is one of those games where I will come back after playing and read all the articles I have been obliged to skip. Trailers are out of the question. No way do I need to know so much about things I would rather discover by playing. Thanks though Jim!

18. mashakos says:

i’ve always wondered: in all the stealth games i’ve played, when the player throws something across a hall or as in the trailer shoots an arrow into a glass case, why isn’t AI smart enough to look in the direction of the “source” of the commotion and not just walk to where the arrow / object landed?
    Really irritating!!!!

• Jason Moyer says:

Because they don’t know where the source of the commotion is, having not seen/heard anything coming from there?

• mashakos says:

do you as a human do that though? If i hear clatter i initially look towards a crash or bang but twist my head to where I believe the crash/bang originated from.
        When something drops from a building, do you just slowly walk up to the dropped object and stare at it indefinitely, or do you look up to see where it might have come from?

Comment on this story