Kickstarter Katchup – 25th August 2012

By John Walker on August 25th, 2012 at 1:00 pm.

The loser column is sadly busy once again this week, with no winners we’ve been following. But as usual there are a lot of other Kickstarters in progress, and a bunch of new ones. Don’t forget to note the rules below, and the next person who writes “Why no love for…” in the comments is going to be buried on the moon. Have a great Saturday!

The Rules

• Featuring a game in this list doesn’t mean we endorse it. We likely haven’t played, and as such can’t say whether it will be worth your cash. That’s your call.
  • Letting me know about a game (which you can do via my name above) doesn’t mean it will definitely be included. Leaving links in the comments is a good way to let other readers know about projects, but please email me if you want them considered for the list.
  • We only include games where pledges reach developers if the target is met.
  • Projects that have reached their funding get included in the Winners list, and then aren’t featured after that, to give more attention to those that are still needing the cash.
  • Staff must wash their hands.

The Winners

You’re all winners.

The Losers

Songmasters: The Music Wars

Aw, shame, this one looked interesting. Really odd pattern with the money, too. It sped its way to $15k of the 25 it needed, and then just stalled there for weeks.

Pursuit Of Power 2 – Precision Games

The first project I ever saw lose money over the course of a week, this RTS never took off, only raising a sad $712.

Wisp – Terra Snover

I wonder how much had to do with the violin strings video, that forgot to push the game. A shame to get over halfway then stall, of course.

The Players

Broken Sword: The Serpent’s Curse – Revolution Software

Goal: $400,000
Now: $203,430
Days: 28

Obviously the big headline in Kickstartering this week is the announcement that Uncle Charles Cecil is raising funding to complete a Broken Sword 5. Absolutely incredible to see half the money raised after just 36 hours, you have to imagine some stretch goals will be appearing soon. And the video is superb:

The Other Brothers – 3D Attack

Goal: $50,000
Now: $24,522
Days: 4

An episoodic family platforming adventure game thing, in yet more retro pixels. It does look absolutely lovely. $15 pledges are needed for a copy this Winter, but there are only four days to go and despite $5k arriving this week, less than half the goal raised.

Evilot – Syrenaica

Goal: $10,000
Now: $5,511
Days: 13

Chilean developers Syrenaica are developing a puzzle tower defence game that is unavoidably similar looking to Plants Vs. Zombies, but seems to be twisting things by adding puzzle elements to play. $10 gets you the game on your chosen format, maybe by Jan next year.

David Crane’s Jungle Adventure – Jungle Venture

Goal: $900,000
Now: $20,337
Days: 21

Creator of Pitfall, and co-founder of Activision, David Crane, is making a new game. And apparently the team have gone insane and are asking for just shy of a million dollars. Yes, huge name, yes, he created some of the best loved games a million years ago, but this isn’t going to happen. They’ve made a decent $6k this week, until you realise that’s 0.67% of their total.

Expeditions – Conquistador – Logic Artists

Goal: $70,000
Now: $35,213
Days: 18

Wow, $18k raised this week! Danish dev Logic Artists’ tactical RPG-cum-strategy is driven by its 16th century Spanish storyline. It’s packed with hexagons and history that so many RPS readers love. They’re now halfway there, with just over half their time left. And finally some enthusiasm in their updates!

The Epic Space Game – Edward Melville

Goal: $20,000
Now: $258
Days: 27

A top-down 2D shooter, that’s also a sandbox MMO, and space trading game. This is one of my favourite things about Kickstarter – it’s basically allowing for every mad genre cocktail to have an opportunity to be explored.

Rack n Ruin – Tyler Hunter

Goal: $30,000
Now: $4,366
Days: 6

A top-down action adventure RPG, in which you play a baddie with an unfortunately propensity for destroying worlds rather than conquering them. This is his last chance, as you attempt to explore and puzzle your way to world domination. Only $500 was raised this week, so things aren’t looking too likely here.

Mercenary Kings – Tribute Games

Goal: $75,000
Now: $62,206
Days: 19

Another $20k pours in for this retro pixel 2D action game. Focusing on co-op, and looking explodey, $15 gets a copy, probably in May next year.

Dominique Pamplemousse – Deidra Kiai

Goal: $9,500
Now: $4,626
Days: 7

It’ll be a shame if this doesn’t double its pledges in the next week. A stop-motion musical detective adventure. In black and white. It’s one of the most esoteric projects I’ve seen in a while. Take a look at the video to see exactly just how strange this is.

Planetary Annihilation – Uber Entertainment

Goal: $900,000
Now: $736,044
Days: 21

Hmmmmm, does anyone want any more Total Annihilation by any chance? A gobsmacking $325,000 raised this week. A third of a million dollars! That’s all the rest of the Kickstarters here added together (probably – I’m far too tired to work it out). As insane as a $900,000 goal might look, they’re going to reach it. From former Total Annihilation developers, it’s a project people have been gagging for for a decade. The video for it is great, and already shows a fantastic-looking game. They want to see massive battles, we’re assured.

Shadow Remnants – Shorebound Studios

Goal: $75,000
Now: $8,155
Days: 6

This don’t look promising at all here. A turn-based tactical RPG, looking like it was developed for Gamecube (please understand that’s a good thing). You can see a ton of footage in its pledge video on the site. It looks lovely, but I doubt it’ll raise its funding by next week.

Wings: Director’s Cut – Cinemaware

Goal: $350,000
Now: $35,105
Days: 16

There’s clearly a lot of enthusiasm for this, but not the matching cash. Despite a very decent $7k added, it’s only a tenth of a very, very high goal. The 1990 Amiga game is clearly fondly remembered, and the plan is to create an HD remake. Thankfully they’ve cleaned up their project’s front page, so it’s no longer a mess of updates (although there’s a panicked message begging you to check them anyway!). Unfortunately the video’s presenter still hasn’t quite finished getting dressed.

Flight Of The Wisp – Shane Barber

Goal: $10,000
Now: $2,737
Days: 11

In this game you’re a ball of energy that takes on the nature of other elements in the game. Go through mist and you’re that, for instance, all used for solving puzzles. It’s a really smart idea, and have a listen to the excellent music. Just $500 added this week, after a thousand the week before. But then, they can’t be bothered to update their own project, so it’s not surprising no one’s bothering to update their pool of cash.

Fields Of Fresh – Pawbyte

Goal: $15,000
Now: $1,841
Days: 13

21st century farming! Or as the KS page says, “A true Epic RPG about a group of farmers”. Clearly made to fill the gap left by the lack of Harvest Moon releases. Watch the video, just to see the brilliant turns to camera.

Island Forge – Potential Games

Goal: $4,000
Now: $600
Days: 26

I’m bemused that this one isn’t getting more money! It looks really interesting, and there’s already an alpha to play, but only $250 appeared over the week. The idea is to tell your own tales within the game for other people to experience. The game already exists, with player islands available to see. He’s only after $4k, and pledges will unlock an account for the game to the full version for various lengths.

ADOM – Thomas Biskup

Goal: $48,000
Now: $54,643
Days: 6

The original creator of the very popular and very old roguelike wants to resume developing the game. And it seems everyone else does too, with this well over its goal. There haven’t been updates since 2002, but it looks they will be again now.

Project Gianna – Black Forest Games

Goal: $150,000
Now: $110,550
Days: 6

Gosh, they’re cutting this fine. $30k raised this week, after $15k the week before, and $12k the week before that. But now there’s less than a week for the final $40,000. It seems possible, but ooh, it would be cruel if it didn’t happen now. A group of former Spellbound developers look to make a serious sequel to 1987′s The Great Giana Sisters. Originally a Super Mario knock-off that was forced from sale after Nintendo pointed out that it was basically their game, this remake looks nothing like Nintendo’s game, with a unique (and gorgeous) look, and a world that can be “twisted” to transform it. A copy of the game in the Autumn comes with the $10 pledge. Importantly, there’s now a demo.

Harmonia – Baroque Studios

Goal: $15,000
Now: $1,716
Days: 14

Aiming to be a very moddable online tactical RPG, the game will come with all the tools to create your own content for the game. So once you’re done with the official game, you can play other people’s creations.

Insurgency 2 – New World Interactive

Goal: $180,000
Now: $59,816
Days: 13

This is feeling pretty cruel at this point, watching a sequel for one of the most popular mods ever just not moving toward its goal. Stalling around $50k for weeks now, lots of press coverage doesn’t seem to be budging people toward funding. Really, really odd that this hasn’t been snapped up right away.

Knock Knock – Ice-Pick Lodge

Goal: $30,000
Now: $28,219
Days: 17

Again, I’m not really sure what people are waiting for here. Ice Pick Lodge, the creators of Pathologic and The Void, want to make a 2D platformer – that’s when you just tip up your bank account and pour. It’ll definitely get there, probably by next week, but I’m at a loss as to why this isn’t already over $100k.

Pluck – BenLap

Goal: $300
Now: $547
Days: 25

He only wanted $300 for this top-down arcade shooter. He’s already got $547. It strikes me as entertaining to just keep giving this 18 year old more money than he needs.

Kickstarter Indie Bundle – Kickstarter Indies

Goal: $45,000
Now: $5,657
Days: 4

An indie bundle in reverse. The idea here is to pledge money to help nine indies finish their games. Various pledge levels reward you with full copies of their previous games, along with all these games when they’re done. $20 will net you the lot. It’ll definitely not make it, which suggests that this isn’t the direction for indie bundles.

Eternal Fate – Escalation Studios

Goal: $200,000
Now: $12,597
Days: 6

Two gaming vets, who’ve both worked at id, Bethesda and various other companies, have started a small indie studio intent on making an online action RPG. They describe it as a combination of Torchlight/Diablo and Call Of Duty/Battlefield. But they asked for $200,000 for an unknown property, and it doesn’t look like people were interested. Six days remain to raise nearly $180,000. Doesn’t seem likely.

, , .

1. pruchel says:

Great to see Broken Sword doing well! Really looking forwards to that one.

Also, you ought to have included a mention of the Reaper Bones kickstarter. It’s slated to be the #4 or so most funded Games project. Considering Cardboard Children there is quite a bit of Geeky overlap on this site, and it’s in it’s final hours now.

Link: http://kck.st/SQRe2M

• abandonhope says:

I wish I had a use for these, because they make me go all nerdlington. Would playing with them in the bathtub and pretending my penis is a dreaded creature of the depths count as a use?

• stonetoes says:

There must be something other developers can learn from these projects which offer stretch goal rewards at higher levels, but only for higher pledge tiers. Unless I’m missing something, this means that the more money is raised, the more people are encouraged to pledge to get the extra rewards at higher tiers. This then increases the number of stretch goals, which increases the amount people want to pledge again, which increases the stretch goal rewards…

It’s like some sort of pyramid scheme, where the more you pay in, the more tantalising rewards are dangled in front of you to pay even more.

• Hallgrim says:

God damnit Kickstarter!

This is really amazing. 100$ for around 200 miniatures, some of them large scale? Insanely good.

• pruchel says:

The plastic itself is really cheap, and the MRSP is probably around $2 average for the normal sized ones. I think the some of the best offers are actually the paint and the cases. A case like that is easily $50 or $75 retail, and the paints are 50% off.
        Of course at this point the minis are 50 cents each, so that’s kinda crazy too, but the production costs of those are at least really low too.

Also, they’ve stated we’ll be getting random goals throughout today like “reach $100,000″. These are not tied to the total pledged value, so even if the next goal is just a stupid PDF, or we end up not reaching the one after this, we’ll still be getting much more fun stuff later on.

So far I’m in for double vampire level (450 miniatures :D) and one of each option. I’m gonna have stuff to paint for the next 4-5 years at least. Gawds.

2. Kaira- says:

Pretty excited about the ADoM funding succeeding. I doubted it would get the funding since it got such a cold shoulder at start, but now it not only has Noteye support to enable tileset, soon it’ll also have the bloody gorgeous looking tileset as well. And well, obviously since I’m more of an ASCII-man I’m very very excited about how ADoM got resurrected. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

• mwoody says:

Yeah, I’m hugely excited about this one, though of course I can’t help but hope for some of those stretch goals. At $65k they’ll finally make ADOM Deluxe and go for a Steam release!

I once did the math on ADOM, and stopped counting when I realized the number of hours I’d spent playing it was in the quadruple digits. No other Roguelike has the… character of ADOM; it always felt more focused and believable as a world than other entries like Nethack or Crawl, which while certainly fun, lacked a cohesive theme.

• zind says:

Just broke $80k!

New races, new classes, gorgeous tileset (for those who like that sort of thing), a Steam version, and more quests! I think a new article is in order on this guy, what with ADOM being awesome and all.

3. OrangyTang says:

“But then, they can’t be bothered to update their own project, so it’s not surprising no one’s bothering to update their pool of cash.”

This attitude intrigues me. They’ve made their pitch, which is (hopefully) complete and well thought out, and includes all the information you want to know. Unless they’ve made their goal and are adding stretch goals, what should they be doing?

Note I’m not talking about any particular project here, I’m just a little confused – what do people expect to see over the fundraising time? A “thanks for the support” message would be nice I guess, but why utter dismissal when no updates happen?

• Hoaxfish says:

I think most people equate updates to “working” on the project itself, at least brainstorming/communication to show .you’re really engaged in “making it happen”.

I think there’s also an assumption that you’re already doing the project, and the money is some form of alpha-funding (or for physical items, a means of mass-producing it), rather than the project starting only once funding has arrived.

• OrangyTang says:

I’m not sure either of those assumptions make any sense to me. Oh well.

• RakeShark says:

Truth in advertising my friend. If your investment comes from the masses, then you need to engage the masses. Drip feed works well because it brings peoples’ attention back to your product the otherwise think they everything about. Besides, if you’re asking for donations, it’s best to make it your focus and dance for the audience. PBS fundraisers don’t just run one pitch, they come back again and again between shows reminding you that programming like that can only be found on their channel, and donations will keep it that way.

Also, if you’re out of sight, you’re out of mind. Don’t update and people will assume you don’t want their attention. Advertising works, but if your goal can’t be reached in one day with modest donations, you need more advertising.

• abandonhope says:

When I see a project creator not updating due to what is apparently a lack of interest in the project, it gives the impression that the creator is unlikely to handle adversity very well. I think untempered artistic types sometimes tend to fold in the face of criticism/disinterest and stop producing, a worrisome quality to see in someone asking for a pile of money.

When things aren’t going well for a project, it’s plain to everyone. It has to be addressed. If a creator is reluctant to advocate for his own project by providing consistent updates, there’s little chance of sparking enthusiasm among existing supporters, and it makes the project page look like a ghost town. A well run funding phase is a crucial first step in demonstrating to potential backers that you know what the hell you’re doing.

4. Hoaxfish says:

Quick question… Given the storm over it, does anyone know what the progress on that Tropes Vs Women project is? Haven’t heard much about it since the funding-period ended.

5. grundus says:

I want Epic Space Game to succeed because it sounds and looks like what Escape Velocity: Online would’ve been. However, it’s free to play. I wouldn’t spend $35 on free to play games I kind of like so it’s hard to justify spending $35 for beta access to a free to play that I might hate, and if it succeeds then I’ve just wasted it. Then again it doesn’t seem like this will succeed, but as the money is all for infrastructure I’m sure it wouldn’t be the death of it.

Oh Kickstarter, you bloody bastard.

• cptgone says:

the KS blurb fails to show what the gameplay will be like. AFAIK it doesn’t even mention it’s 2D!
      i don’t like twitch games, but i do like Eve. Edward Melville should also elaborate on how his game will differ from Eve IMHO.

• EMelville says:

@cptgone

Well for starters, there are absolutely no borders. It’s a completely infinite universe with randomly generated systems. You could literally get “lost” if you wanted to (And assuming you had the fuel)

Get in contact with me directly, if you have more questions, helps me to turn in new ideas for Epic Space Game.

Thanks man,

-Edward

• abandonhope says:

Not sure if it helps or hurts that Kickstarter already had a successful EV-like (Drifter).

• AngoraFish says:

I should be interested, as it has potential to be a more complex Space Rangers 2 without the crap RTS mode, but for a game about to go beta it’s very light on detail. All the video really shows is a small ship crawling around slowly on a star field with some guy talking. There are no specifics about game mechanics, there is very little variety in the graphics and animation, I have no idea what the FTP microtransaction model will look like, have no clue how game progression might play out or how long it might take, and I don’t know what happens to my stuff when I’m logged out. Ultimately, I’m also going to pass because I have no friends likely to be interested in playing, and no interest in investing time building up an empire only to have a bunch of teenage griefers destroy all my hard work while I’m sleeping.

6. MikoSquiz says:

Dammit, people. Shadow Remnants struck me as possibly the most shut-up-and-take-my-money project I’ve seen on Kickstarter yet, and it turns out that no, it’s just me (and 409 others). What, we have too many TRPGs on the PC as it is?

• Kaira- says:

It is a bloody shame, especially considering that tactical turn based RPGs are pretty much handheld exclusives nowadays. That is when they get imported to western markets.

• TimEatsApples says:

Yeah, it’s a real shame. Hopefully if they do as they say in their last update and get a working demo and relaunch it with a smaller goal, it’ll be more successful next time round. I’m surprised it didn’t do better though.

• RogerMellie says:

Agreed. I’m number 411 though it looks way too little way too late.

• AngoraFish says:

okay, you sold me on it, but it doesn’t look like I’m going to be the one tipping things over the edge. At least they’ll have a mailing list.

7. Imbecile says:

OK – more pluggery from me, sorry!. Again – its not a computer game, but a really good card game in the vein of Magic the Gathering, but with action films as a basis. Its into its last week now, and has made its initial target, but I’ve promised to spread the word regardless…

Its a great multiplayer game, and the decks are all perfectly designed for new entrants – definitely comes recommended, for what little thats worth!

• cptgone says:

“Shadow Fist”? be a backer to shadow fist? :scared:
      ;)

• Imbecile says:

;) I guess the Shadowfist title ties back to the Bruce Lee film of the same name. Its heavily influence by Hong Kong action movies too!

8. TimEatsApples says:

This one’s in its final week, so I’ll mention it again if anyone’s interested.

Ukiyo-e Heroes is offering woodblock prints in traditional Japanese art style of major Nintendo characters. They’re very cool and I wish I had more money to throw at them. Yes, it’s not a game, and yes, it’s definitely not PC-gaming related, but some of you might be interested:

• Hatsworth says:

Following that kickstarter I’ve fallen in love with David Bull, and delved into his woodblock site. Really happy it’s been successful beyond their wildest dreams. Alas, I can’t justify the high cost atm.

• TimEatsApples says:

He seems really lovely, and I’m glad the kickstarter’s apparently allowed him to keep his apprentices on. Unfortunately I’m in the same boat – I can’t afford a woodblock at the moment, and have had to settle for one of the giclees.

Yachmenev says:

It´s a shame that the Wings kickstarter isn´t doing better, the game concept has so many good ideas that needs a bit of new light.

But I guess they have themselves to blame, for messing up the video, the project page and not having the material from the game they now have shown ready from start.

I still think people should give the project a chance, but it´s looking grim for it.

10. KaptainKarnage says:

Broken Sword 5 is one of the few kickstarters I’m actually interested in., loved the first two Broken Swords, even if the second was a little bit on the unfinished side.

11. ukpanik says:

The Dominique Pamplemousse video amused me…she is mental ~_~

12. sriVer says:

why nobody talks about Day One by Pendulo Studios?! It’s not a kickstarter project but it’s the same idea, just a different site

• malkav11 says:

It’s been mentioned before in these articles. But for my tastes, Revolution is about 150x better at making games than Pendulo.

13. Randomer says:

I’m not particularly excited about playing The Other Brothers game, but based on the video I sure would like a copy of the soundtrack! It’s got a jazzy Baranowsky vibe to it. I see that there is a $30 kickstarter level that’s gets you the soundtrack in addition to the game, but that’s a bit pricey considering that I only want the OST.

14. pakoito says:

There are the Bones miniatures for roleplaying sessions, a huge ton of them for 100$

15. tsmike says:

Insurgency 2: “Stalling around $50k for weeks now, lots of press coverage doesn’t seem to be budging people toward funding”

Really? Lots of press coverage?

Apart from that 8 minute RPS video, I haven’t seen any coverage from other websites and there haven’t been any updates since the 8th August. Even the original mod’s ModDB page doesn’t mention the kickstarter. Whoever’s in charge of promoting or pitching this game needs a good kick up the arse.

Certainly doesn’t help that they’ve chosen a ridiculously high goal.

• baby snot says:

Their PR sucks but I don’t think the guys at New World Interactive really care if the campaign succeeds or not. Looks like they’ll just keep plugging away until they’re ready to release. I suspect the person who mods the ModDB page is not part of the current sequel team (not that they’re on bad terms or anything). The KS goal is not that high either. I think a more concerted media effort would have got it over the line or better. It’s a funny thing. I would have chipped in if it looked like it had a steady rate of pledges. I wonder how many like souls are in the same boat.

Wisq says:

So essentially, “I would give them money if I could see that other people were giving them money”. Um, what?

Aside from the lunacy of everyone expecting everyone else to go first … isn’t Kickstarter supposed to eliminate this sort of silliness? Where you’re reluctant to donate to someone in case it turns out to be too little to mean anything. The whole notion of setting a minimum target means there’s no barrier to pledging — either you’ll be part of a concerted donation effort to ensure the project gets done, or you won’t have to pay anything at all.

Just pledge the darn money, jeez.

• El_Emmental says:

That (poor marketing), and the fact they are not letting the hardcore fans do the PR for them: there’s nothing detailing exactly where they’re going, what they’re aiming for, you can’t call people to pay for it if you don’t even know what kind of gameplay it will be.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

What exactly does Insurgency do that makes it worth funding? I haven’t read through everything, but I don’t see that much difference with the myriad of other shooters in a similar setting.
      Something like this might work as a free alternative, but why spend money on it? Wouldn’t anyone willing to spend money on such things much rather spend it on the big AAA titles rather than this?
      That would at least explain the discrepancy between the popularity of the mod and the lack of it of the kickstarter.

16. ArcaneSaint says:

Damnit, I really really want to give Planetary Annihilation my money. But seeing as Amazon/Kickstarter doesn’t accept PayPal, and I don’t have a credit card (here in Belgium, nobody really uses credit cards), I can’t.

Is there any word on whether that’ll ever change, and if so, when?

• mwoody says:

Hrm, there has to be a way around that… some searching turns up mentions of a “Paypal virtual Mastercard,” for example, which appears to be a temporary credit card purchase for a set amount through Paypal.

So how do people shop online in Belgium, out of curiosity?

• ArcaneSaint says:

Any sites that accept PayPal (a lot), debit card payment (not that many) or pay upon delivery (like pizza!). If you want to, you can of course get a credit card, no bank’s gonna refuse that, but again, credit cards are not used all that often here (unlike those countries where they even pay their coffee with a credit card), so there’s very little reason to have one except for online payments. And usually there are alternative ways to perform online payments, like PayPal, so that’s a problem that rarely arises (and most likely not worth the extra cost of a credit card, especially as a student).

Also, thanks for the advice, I’ll be sure to look into that. I really want Planetary Annihilation to succeed (and getting it for a discount would be nice as well).

• malkav11 says:

Weird. Here in the US my debit card works with everywhere that accepts credit cards almost without exception. I’ve never had a credit card.

• AngryBadger says:

Dont you have a debit card? It doesnt have to be a credit card. I use paypal all the time but just have it tied to my standard bank debit card

mrwonko says:

You can already donate via paypal at planetaryannihilation.com, and that’s mentioned on the Kickstarter as well. Everybody seems to miss that.

It’s looking so very promising. I loved Supreme Commander. Never played Total Annihilation though…

17. robjwells says:

Nice to see RPS so high up in the Planetary Annihilation referrer list.

• JusticePS says:

Yes, as an Uber employee who also reads RPS, I was happy to see that too :)

18. Eclipse says:

cmon guys, let’s help Project Gianna, it looks quite cool and has DAT MUSIC by Chris Huelsbeck and Machinae Supremacy

19. RuySan says:

I think i’ll have my Kickstarter baptism with Wings. One of my favorite games ever

20. MythArcana says:

Everyone gets a gold star, though.

21. Shuck says:

Poor David Crane, he’s under the mistaken assumption that Kickstarter is for raising the money you need to develop a game.

• TimEatsApples says:

Yeah, the lack of detail on his page is staggering. I can’t even tell what genre it’s supposed to be.

• Shuck says:

Even with a clear vision for the game, he still wouldn’t get the funds he needs – he doesn’t have the game already half-finished, nor have a name that enough people recognize.

• TimEatsApples says:

I’ve actually got his project starred so I can follow its (lack of) progress. It manages to be both incredibly cynical and incredibly naive at the same time.

AlexClockwork says:

No mention to Castle Story? The KS is about to end, just 21 hours left… I am quite excited about this one, give it a look! ^^

• Bobka says:

Somebody mentions it in the comments once per Katchup. Since it met its goal in, like, 5 hours, RPS mentioned it once and hasn’t repeated it since – otherwise, it’d be 4 weeks in the “Winners” category, which I guess is somewhat unnecessary.

Not that the extra attention would do any harm – I love the game and am looking forward to getting my voxel-loving hands on the prototype.

Wisq says:

But two of the games in the “players” category have already made their targets, and some are so close with so long to go that it’s basically a done deal. Shouldn’t those be in the “winners” list instead?

• John Walker says:

I’m really not sure how I can be any more clear. Read the rules!

Also, I’m burying you on the moon.

• Bobka says:

So they just finished, just barely passing the 700,000$ mark. I can’t wait for my copy of the prototype now!

23. Hatsworth says:

Backed Giana and Mercenary Kings.

Don’t care for the whole crafting aspect, but Paul Robertson and Tribute Games have definitely earned my support.

Project Giana I backed after trying the demo, it played much better than I expected, and apart from the character design it looks pretty impressive too. I’m not really convinced it earns or even needs the license, but that’s really not that important. Seems like it could become a competent, challenging traditional platformer, which is rare nowadays. I did think the levels seemed a bit too large\labyrinthine though. Would be sad if it didn’t make it.

24. Jenks says:

I’m really happy for the kid making Pluck. Seeing that succeed makes me truly happy, whereas most of the other projects give me a feeling not dissimilar to browsing retail preorders.

25. Grey_Ghost says:

Project Gianna looks pretty awesome. I sometimes miss the days of my youth when I enjoyed those types of games. I was all about NES era platformers & PC adventure games back then. My tastes sure have taken a dramatic twist since those times.

26. LordOfPain says:

I’ve worked with one of the people who is now in the Chilean team making Evilot and they deserve the cash so I command you all to commit to their Kickstarter NOW! :)

In all seriousness, though, they’re not asking for very much and they deserve to get it, so I hope it gets funded. They’re working hard at it and are up to the task of creating something well worth buying and playing (in other words, not a PvZ clone, rest assured).

27. AngoraFish says:

Not a game, but Geek Love: An Anthology of Full Frontal Nerdity will likely be of interest to RPS readers.

28. The Random One says:

“We only include games where pledges reach developers if the target is met.”

So you don’t include games where pledges are burned as an offering to the dark lords of the internet?

I know you mean you don’t feature flexible funding projects any more, but that sentence is ambigous, and its intended meaning is not the first one I’d get from it. Journalist it up a little. How about, “Only games where pledges don’t reach developers unless the target is met are featured”?

29. Bob says:

I just had a listen of a sample of Leo Badinella’s music for Expeditions – Conquistador. Wow, I half expected to see a South American jungle outside my window. I hope it gets it’s target so I can download more of that atmospheric goodness.

30. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

And to think that they originally wanted to kickstart a much bigger project, for a much larger sum. But eventually decided to test the waters first. Good thing they did!

31. Nyhm says:

Island Forge just added a Lifetime Membership backer reward (very reasonable, too)!