The RPS Bargain Bucket: Generating Memories

By Lewie Procter on August 25th, 2012 at 6:00 pm.

Gosh what a horrible day. Is it torrential storms and THUNDER AND LIGHTNING IN CAPITAL LETTERS near you too? Unless you’re planning on braving the outside world to attend the RPS social club tonight, I strongly recommend spending your entire weekend indoors playing some new PC games. Here’s some fun games that you could buy, all of them cheaper than they usually cost. For more gaming deals, check out SavyGamer.co.uk.

Tiny & Big, Grandpa’s Leftovers – £3.16/€3.99/$4.99
Cutting the world into bits is the order of the day here. This made John say these words:

I absolutely adore this game, at the same time as so frequently screaming at it how bloody stupid it is. Even if you ignore its obsession with underpants (which is reason alone to buy it), and the absolutely wonderful art style, and the collection of obscure and interesting music found throughout, and even the way Batman-esque onomatopoeic cartoon words so perfectly spring up for all actions, just the game’s three core ideas make this something splendid.

More here.

Offspring Fling! – £1.70/€2.04/$2.72
This is a sidescrolling puzzler about collecting lost chicks, then throwing them at walls and buttons. Here’s wot Alec though.

It’s not a gimmicky concept stretched until breaking point over a handful of levels, but a fully fleshed-out offering that milks admirable variety from the core idea of throwing chicks around a room. Perhaps it could be argued to be a little too retro, but what really makes Offspring Fling sing to me is that it’s genuinely evoking and then slightly building on that era of puzzle-platforming, rather than being an arch reimaginging or a shameless nostalgia trip.

There is a browser version demo playable here.

Ultimate Ultima Collection – £11.31/€14.34/$17.94
Lots of Ultimas. They’re available as one big package, or individually at a lesser discount. Enter Dan’s “memory palace” for a look back at Ultima Underworld II:

I stopped adding substantially to my memory palace maybe ten years ago. It’s not that there’s not lots of room to expand; Underworld II was subtitled “Labyrinth of Worlds” and featured eight other heart-breakingly strange and well-designed worlds that you had to visit, where I could have crammed in memories; no, it was just that I didn’t find myself with the time to retreat there for several years, ironically generating memories that I didn’t store and now have mostly lost.

GOG have also for some Ultima freebies in the form of Ultima 4, Worlds of Ultima: Savage Empire & Ultima: Worlds of Adventure 2: Martian Dream.

Dino Run SE, Guerrilla Bob, Gunman Clive, Ichi, Muffin Knight, Paper Monsters, Samurai II: Vengeance & Syder Arcade – £3.17/€4/$5
Or pay any price and just get Dino Run SE, Ichi, Muffin Knight & Syder Arcade.
A nice selection of games from developers that are looking to raise their profiles in preparation for submitting to Steam’s Greelight service. Dino Run SE is a blast, you’re a dinosaur and you have to run from left to right in a prehistoric race against EXTINCTION. I’ve not played the others, but Syder Arcade looks like a pretty rad shmup and Gunman Clive looks like Megaman but with a cowboy.

Deal of the week
Civilization V – £4.74/€5.99/$7.49
Civilization V [Goatee Edition] – £7.90/€9.98/$12.49
Registers on Steam, and since this is from Amazon US, you’ll need to enter a US billing address.
The Civ games are great, and Civ 5 is a great Civ. It’s maybe not the best one, but it’s without a doubt the most pleasing to look at. Alec said:

That’s Civ V’s thing- lavishness. It’s dangerous to kick off any game write-up harking on about how pretty the graphics are, but in Civ V’s case it’s genuinely integral to the game’s appeal. It’s not that it’s hyper-graphics. It’s that it’s meticulously detailed, a crafted world rather than merely a glossy one. The units are on the fuzzy side, for instance, but as a whole it’s this wide world of tiny, moving parts. Boardgame roots it might have, but this is Civ moving into being a living thing.

More here.

Also of note:
From Dust – £2.99/€3.74/$3.74
Shoot Many Robots – £3.99/€4.99/$4.99. Registers on Steam.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat – £3.24/€3.49/$3.74
Amnesia: The Dark Descent – £3.24/€3.74/$4.99
Shadowgrounds, Shadowgrounds: Survivor & Trine – £6.99
Darksiders – £4. Registers on Steam.
Guns of Icarus, Laxius Force, Metal Drift, Revelations 2012 & Zero Gear – Pay what you want
BIT.TRIP BEAT, Fieldrunners, SpaceChem, & Uplink – Pay what you want
All the Serious Sam’s for cheap.

Get all the latest gaming discounts on all platforms over at SavyGamer.co.uk.

1. fauxC says:

Why are people so easily confused by the word “lightning”?

2. rb2610 says:

Every time I see the phrase ‘Goatee Edition’ I come away disappointed, having expected it to be a copy of the game with increased levels of facial hair on it’s characters :(

• cptgone says:

come on, just admit it: it’s not their facial hair that attracts you, is it?

• Malarious says:

Just in case anyone’s confused: the Civ 5 GOTY edition doesn’t come with the latest expansion pack, Gods & Kings. That’s still a separate purchase, and a whopping $26.

• Vinraith says:

Nor does it include all the other DLC, for that matter.

• SkittleDiddler says:

It’s odd that they were so selective with which DLC went into the GoTY package. Why not throw them all in there?

• dE says:

The paranoid part of me says:
            Because they’ve read all the comments that said “I’m gonna wait for the GOTY Edition”. Now those comments meant “All Inclusive Edition” but the company would rather have an edition where you still keep on buying. And who knows, maybe someone goes in, not knowing they left out some of the DLC and the Expansion.

• Lemming says:

And just incase anyone is confused, don’t bother and buy Civ IV with all the expacks instead. It’s better.

• iucounu says:

I’m really regretting buying the Goatse Edition.

• Shadowcat says:

Yeah, that’s also how I always read it at first (every single time).

• Thermal Ions says:

I keep thinking, great a Jeff Minter version with goats instead of llamas.

3. SquareWheel says:

Offspring Fling is lovely and you should own it.

• Daleof says:

I’ve had this on my wishlist for a while and it looks great! Going to wait for it to go on sale on Steam first though.

• LTK says:

Heck, for €2, I’ll take a chance.

• SelfEsteemFund says:

This man has words of truth.

• LTK says:

Okay, final boss defeated. What else is there to do in this game?

4. KDR_11k says:

I wish the greenlight bundle included the Android versions, AFAIK all of those games are available on the phone too and I could use some more games on my phone (though I already have some of those).

5. Jibb Smart says:

Just Cause 2 is 75% off on Steam this weekend.

EDIT: Also, any hints as to why my avatar is not my gravatar?

• Spengbab says:

Frontpage/forum avatararars arent linked

• LionsPhil says:

He said Gravatar, though. As long as the e-mail address matches, it should pull it in. See mine, for example.

Also, the parachute thruster DLC for Just Cause 2 (and the whole lot is about half the price of lunch in this sale) is amusingly overpowered. If grapple-paragliding just wasn’t a great enough way to get around for you any more, it basically turns Rico into a small jetplane on demand. (If you want to get the parachuting achievements, I suggest getting them the old fashioned way first for some challenge, because the thrusters are IDKFA kinds of silly fun. [Although I guess you could just not fire them up.])

DLC weapons thus far don’t seem much cop, mind, save the airblast cannon, which is amusing for pushing military jeeps off of bridges.

• LTK says:

Normally, I wouldn’t say no to a bunch of DLC for two dimes and a nickle. Unfortunately, I’m pretty much done playing Just Cause 2, so I see no reason to go spend money on it now.

• LionsPhil says:

One of them is a hovercraft.

(Admittedly I haven’t tried it yet, but, hovercraft!)

• dE says:

I got the Hovercraft in some steam special edition or something. It’s rather unimpressive and handles more like a truck on ice than a hovercraft.

• Jibb Smart says:

Ah, I just realised my Gravatar account uses a different email address. Thanks for the hint.

I’ll make sure I grab the JC2 DLC before the deal’s over.

Cheers!

6. Pulec says:

Yes Tiny and Big is cheap and great! But what aboug Legend of Grimrock on GOG? I dont understand why you dont mentoin the whole Indie Weekend Promo – http://www.gog.com/en/promo/indie_weekend_mix

7. Eclipse says:

That Greenlight Bundle actually has some pretty cool, maybe even if little known, games… totally worth it even for Syder Arcade alone, I’m a sucker for pretty looking shumps.

Oh also I forgot to say that’s not a “normal” horizontal scroller shumps, you can actually reverse your ship direction, it plays a bit like Defender or Attack of the Mutant Camels, it’s quite awesome and brutally difficult so far

8. shaydeeadi says:

Two Worlds 2 is £4.99 on steam as well.

• Theon says:

It’s just my personal optinion, of course, but I recommend everyone to stay as far away from Two Worlds 2 Furious as possible.
      It really is the worst game in my entire Steam library, containing 304 games.

It plays like an MMO, it is more grindy than one, there is no AI, and the key for running is the same as the one for locking onto an enemy and blocking.
      But those are flaws that could’ve been overlooked if the game had something else going for it, and/or didn’t feel tedious and awful to play in general.

• Eclipse says:

I have Two Worlds 1 on gog and yeah, pretty much the same stuff, with worse graphics :P

• Magnusm1 says:

2 Worlds Two is weird. Some people love it and some hate it.

• LionsPhil says:

Are some people in 2 Minds about it, Too?

• Baines says:

Every time it goes on sale on Steam, I’m tempted by it, but so far I’ve always failed to find that last nudge to tip me over the fence.

9. Rikard Peterson says:

No, we had surprisingly good weather here. Good thing that was too, since my brass band had an outdoors gig.

10. Worldbeing says:

It is indeed THUNDER AND LIGHTNING here. This is very scary when you are in a small tin box in the middle of a big wet thing (a narrowboat in a river) and the lightning hits less than fifty metres away.

11. alundra says:

Does anybody know what kind of payment options the groupees bundle has?

12. elevown says:

Not related but- How come no mention of the closing of Sony liverpool- aka psygnosis- makers of wipeout yet?

• Heliocentric says:

Wipeout… Really? Surely mentioning Lemmings is a better shout.

• LionsPhil says:

They only published Lemmings; the development was done by DMA Design, aka Rockstar North.

I was going to say The Killing Game Show, but turns out they were only a publisher on that, too.

• drewski says:

Probably because it’s not really a PC gaming story. SCE Liverpool haven’t been a PC gaming studio for at least a decade, and not really much of one for some time before that, the odd Wipeout port notwithstanding.

13. MythArcana says:

Din’s Curse was dropped down 50% to $9.99 (or $8.99 on Gleam). Make sure you get Demon War if you do! That’s a lot of gaming for under $20.

• Kaira- says:

Din’s Curse is absolutely brilliant Diablo-”clone”, can’t recommend it high enough. It is very solid and offers so many ways to play itself it’s ridiculous. And for that price it’s pretty much a must buy. And if you’re not convinced Soldak’s site has a demo available.

14. eks says:

Warning: Fanboy incoming:

If anyone doesn’t own S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat and you are even mildly interested in open world shooters, you need to own it. In my opinion it is the best STALKER by a landslide and dare I say, probably one of my favorite games of all time.

• wu wei says:

Finding new anomalies in Pripyat is definitely one of my favourite game experiences.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Agreed. Amazing game. Essential.

• Baines says:

Is there a good place to see reviews or advice for mods for STALKER? ModDB has plenty of mods, but it can be hard to judge what is worth installing. Some, like weapon mods, are pretty obvious. But the others, like Complete and AtmosFear aren’t so obvious.

I’m currently playing SoC with Complete, but I’ve heard people have had more issues with CoP Complete. I like the graphical improvements of SoC Complete, but AI is certainly still flawed (for example, I just experienced a two force shoot-out in a multi-floor building, where I saw several of the normal NPCs firing at the ceiling. I can only guess that they were trying to shoot enemy NPCs that were on the second or third floor or something.)

AtmosFear sounds interesting, but I’m not sure how I feel about the acid storms, psi storms, and the like.

15. FunktionJCB says:

Adventures of Shuggy is today’s Steam deal of the day (75% off).
    It’s an incredibly fun and charming puzzle platformer, and an essential purchase.

One of my favourite games I played this year. For 1,74€, it’s a steal.

• Kuschelwampe says:

Hm, for me it’s more like 2,49€. Still very cheap, of course.

16. Classicgamer says:

That’s a good deal on Ultima . It’s and oldie but goodie :)

17. cutegirl says:

Life is lonely and sometimes even boring. You may need– a fresh thing to excite your mind. My best friend ,she– met a good man and they love each other!they date via– online dating — -
    cou’garK’iSSi n g . C°_♡._°M°.——it’s- the- most effective— site in the world to connect- with,- date and marry— successful, beautiful– people.-Meanwhile, . It’s— worthy a try. You do– not have to be rich or famous. !—
    sae