Dead Island Team Working On “Project Hell”

By Jim Rossignol on August 28th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

Morning!
Techland have announced that they are currently working on a new game, currently named “Project Hell“. The game is a spin off from Dead Island, as revealed on their recent blog-post about the game, it comes out of “an internal weapon mod” for Dead Island, made by one of their own. It’s a first-person “hack and slash game in a dark fantasy setting”. Techland said that the mod “was a proof that chopping monsters frozen by magic spells using two-handed swords is brutally fun and addictive.” We had always suspected, of course, but now we have proof. Horrible proof. It’s going to be just as dark as their tropical zombie-hurter: “Our main goal is to make a game we can all enjoy playing so don’t expect unicorns and fairies – we prefer breaking through hordes of undead minions only to slaughter their devilish and loathsome masters in a bloody boss-fight.”

No other details on release or owt, but they say a small team is currently working full-time on the game.

, , .

RedViv says:

What brand new proof. Let’s hope they can be the dark messiahs to show us that disintegration by might and magic is really this neat!

• Aemony says:

It’s really sad that not more developers look towards that game when designing fantasy games with magical spells, swords and bows. Skyrim, for example, would’ve really benefited from taking a cue or two from how magical spells should interact with the physics of the game world. There’s just a special satisfaction in seeing enemies slip on the ground you just froze, only to fall off the cliff to their certain death.

RedViv says:

Given who is publishing the next game from the people who brought us Dark Messiah, the trial and failure of Skyrim to emulate it is oddly funny.

2. GameCat says:

B-but I like unicorns and fairies. They tastes like chicken.

No, seriously, I’m tired with this “uber-ultra dark and sad and gory” concepts. Can I have something lighthearted (is this a right word?), please?

• Didero says:

Yeah, the “make a game we can all enjoy playing” is a bit weird, since I’m not interested in this game or its ilk, and I can imagine there’s lots of people who would gladly take the unicorn game over this, if only for some variation.

• jikavak says:

Dark fantasty doesn’t really bother you that much when you don’t want it to.While unicorns aren’t really able to statisfy your brutal needs at times.

• Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

I’m sure there are, and I’m sure their reasons for it are much scarier than just variation.

• StingingVelvet says:

• OrangyTang says:

“Is this dark fantasy really the majority though? Oblivion and Skyrim are arguably the most popular fantasy games around and both are pretty bright and high-fantasy.”

We got both types of music here – country and western.

• lijenstina says:

Ah fantasy. When you want to make something unimaginative and bland, after discarding copying MW and Gears of War, you go for fantasy.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Scifi and fantasy being the country and western of gaming is probably related to the nerdy roots of the art form. As the audience expands hopefully the developers’ outlook will too.

3. TwwIX says:

Can’t say that i am interested in any games from Techland any more after regretfully purchasing the PC version of Dead Island. Are you looking for sloppy ports, non existent support and piss poor communication? Look no further! Not to mention that Call of Juarez: The Cartel was a colossal piece of shit.

But, hey. Good luck with the sales!

Henke says:

What didn’t you like about the port? Worked fine for me, but then again I played with a gamepad and barely did any coop. Don’t remember having any communication problems though.

• f1x says:

Dead Island sure had a lot of technical issues, that could be solved using un-official tweks (which is not how it should be)

But it was a damn fine game, the combat was really fun to be honest

pd: also at least they fixed almost everything tho, cant say the same about RAGE for example (which is from id not techland, I know, but its another game with huge technical issues)

• TwwIX says:

I am not denying that the combat wasn’t good but the game was plagued with all kinds of issues though. From clunky controls and menus to downright game breaking bugs like the save bug that corrupted save games because of a buggy inventory. It took them several weeks just to acknowledge let alone patch that shit even though a fix was discovered by the community. That’s what really pissed me off. Flawed but fun game with shitty developers behind it. The melee combat was its only redeeming value.

• f1x says:

I understand, and you are totally right,
          but somehow I feel like this guys need another chance because of all the good ideas/originality of Dead Island,
          of course if they make the same mistakes with this “Project Hell” they are going to hell, no pun intended

• fish99 says:

“I am not denying that the combat wasn’t good”

So…. you thought the combat was bad.

I’m going to lie down now, my brain hurts.

• StingingVelvet says:

Dead Island played fine on PC for me right out of the box. It played even better once I got the unofficial tweak tool and forced FXAA on it.

The game itself was pretty meh though. I loved the original Juarez though… Techland is hit or miss and hopefully this is a hit.

• SkittleDiddler says:

I have an extreme love/hate relationship with Dead Island. On one hand, it’s the most unprofessionally developed AAA game I’ve ever played — literally everything about it is half-assed, from the combat to the environments to the cutscenes to the coding. On the other hand, I enjoyed it enough to put in close to 90 hours before I got bored and finally uninstalled it. On the third hand, I’m glad I’m finally done with Dead Island and I won’t be revisiting it again.

I doubt DI’s developers are going to be able to do much better with this new project. They just make sloppy games.

4. Avish says:

“hack and slash game in a dark fantasy setting”

“breaking through hordes of undead minions only to slaughter their devilish and loathsome masters in a bloody boss-fight.”

Sounds like an original idea. Nothing at all like Diablo…

• Nick says:

’cause diablo was so original.

Of course, a key difference being this is in first person…

• Avish says:

But hacking and slashing demons in a dark fantasy setting sounds too much like Diablo, even if you hack and slash from a first person view and not top-down perspective.

It’s more of a Diablo clone then Titan quest.

(And I’m not saying this as a diablo fanboy or anything).

Henke says:

It also sounds a lot like a bazillion other games from Gauntlet to Dark Souls. Doesn’t mean it can’t still be good.

• Pamplemousse says:

Oh just shut up you.

If its a spin-off from Dead Island then its going to be a First Person Slasher. Just because it has a dark fantasy setting and includes boss monsters doesn’t mean its a Diablo clone.

I mean really… this is starting to become a joke.

• vorvek says:

It’s obviously a first person remake of 1978′s Beneath Apple Manor. That’s what you wanted to say, right?

5. cliffski says:

‘Project Hell’?

Anyone who has worked in the industry is probably thinking “I’m sure I did some work on that project”.

6. StingingVelvet says:

First-person melee is not done enough, so color me enthused. Dark Messiah is one of my favorite games, and I usually play Elder Scrolls games as a melee fighter because it’s still pretty unique compared to archery (shooter) or stealth.

7. CaspianRoach says:

Dark Messiah of Dead Island

8. Grey Ganado says:

Project Hell sounds like the place dead projects go.

9. PopeBob says:

I do so hope this game will actually feel full and the goals won’t seem meaningless and arbitrary. I loved fighting things in Dead Island- the melee combat was fun! But the quests accomplished nothing and felt terrible, all while the weapons degraded at a speed which suggested a particleboard base for construction.

• Vander says:

Yeah i agree, it was fun a few hours, but the game was far too basic. And the spawn was horrible.Its the sort of game that is full of wasted potential.

• fish99 says:

Gotta agree, I played maybe half of it co-op and….. it just wasn’t that fun. Too many things got in the way, but even without those frustrations I’m not convinced the core gameplay was particularly enjoyable.

10. PitfireX says:

Dead Island was one of the worst games in the last 10 years.

11. Bassem says:

Dead Island on PC was a sloppy port with terrible UI and barely-modifiable visuals, but goodamn if it didn’t have the most satisfying melee I’ve ever encountered in a first person game (I have not yet played Dark Messiah.)

People talk about Mount & Blade and Chivalry, but they don’t come close to Dead Island’s melee system. I would definitely play more Techland games that use it, but I do hope they do a better job of catering for the PC this time.