Rome, Sweet, Rome: Crusader Kings II Expands

By Adam Smith on August 28th, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

The Sword of Islam burns bright and now the embers of Rome threaten to ignite. The second major expansion for Crusader Kings II, Legacy of Rome, adds new features that at first sight (a press release) appear to concentrate on being a big player, with much talk of the Byzantine Empire. Vassals forming factions, becoming smarter and presumably more interesting, generals with further features and more influence, and the possibility of appointing Orthodox patriarchs. Self-improvement ambitions will allow regents to grow as people rather than simply collecting vices and scars, and no doubt there’ll be more to discover before the Q4 2012 release.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. brkl says:

I WANT TO PLAY A PAGAN

• Skeletor68 says:

I second this.

My play through of King of Ireland, Scotland and Wales became all too much when those assholes in Waterford (Ormond) started rebelling. Scotland and then some of newly conquered Wales rose up and the stress was too much. I’d love to be able to start a pagan play through now.

Do you guys have any recommendations for interesting starting locations? I went for Thomond in Ireland because I’m actually from there.

• Brise Bonbons says:

I am very excited by this prospect as well! Maybe the 3rd expansion…

• Dowson says:

I agree, something with the non-Abrahamic religions would be awesome, retooling Orthodox seems like it’ll compliment current game play rather than add on much new.

Being able to force Christianity out of Scandinavian or spread Baltic Paganism round the…urm…Baltic seem like very interesting goals.

• Subject 706 says:

I want to play as a republic! After my current playthrough as the ruthless leader of the dynasty that created the kingdom of Sicily, I want to play as the ruthless Doge of Venice!

2. MythArcana says:

Great! Let’s include a font size option in the menu this time around! This game reads like an ant dictionary at times, and I’ve tried all the fixes.

• JiminyJickers says:

Yeah, I have to lower the resolution to actually be able to read the text given that I’m playing on a 15 inch laptop monitor that can go up to 1920×1080. I run it at 1600×900 for a compromise, would like to be able to have everything crisp and be able to read the text.

This is a problem I have on all paradox games and a lot of other games that are menu and text heavy.

3. JiminyJickers says:

Looking forward to another expansion, even though I havent played the last one much. Cant wait for more and smarter content.

• Brise Bonbons says:

Yeah I haven’t played Sword at all, though I own it. Just have too many other games on my plate, but I will buy any expansion they choose to release for this game, because I’m just that in love with what it does.

Also buying expansions is much more satisfying than throwing money at my monitor.

4. PacketOfCrisps says:

I like how Paradox have an orthodox outlook on updating their game, rather than the overly byzantine methods that are so prevalent today.

5. Meneth says:

The Crusader Kings II Wiki now has a page on Legacy of Rome which we plan to update as more information is released.

6. Bluerps says:

Uh, that link up there points to the image at the top, at the moment.

I wonder how much of the new stuff will be specific to the byzantine empire. The press release is not really clear in that…

7. Prokroustis says:

Yes please.

8. misterT0AST says:

Byzantines must be my favourite civilization anywhere ever.
    They’re Greeks, they’re Romans, they’re Arabs, they’re Italians, they’re Christians, and yet they have a strong middle-eastern scent, they have camels, CATAPHRACTS and can expand in Europe or Asia, they have one foot in the middle ages, one foot in the roman age, and a toe (just a toe, mind you) in the Renaissance.
    What’s not to love?

• Aaax says:

Would you recommend some book about them?

• Aaax says:

“What’s not to love?”

Their location. I pity every emperor sandwiched between muslim and bulgarian hordes. Imagine defending that. The only chokepoint on the map is your capital city!

But maybe I’m wrong, after all, they lasted many centuries with only gradual desintegration – for reasons unknown to me. It could be something else than outer enemies.

• PacketOfCrisps says:

They didn’t have many allies, they didn’t get on with the Catholics, they were too traditional, they had too much in fighting, and they had to face the Muslim invasions. The Byzantines were basically the shield of Europe and yet nobody seemed to care about their demise (except when they launched the First Crusade). They had many advantages as well but I don’t really know enough about them, to be honest.

• Aaax says:

It would be also interesting to see it from the muslim side of things. With my current knowledge, they seem to be a typical unknown Unrelentlessly Attacking Barbaric Menace™ but to Europe they never caused serious trouble. It almost seems to me the other way around, they probably felt threatened by christianity a lot.

Edit: I mean, to muslim rulers Byzantium must have seemed much bigger thread than vice versa.

• Tagert says:

They also had a mother boating boat load of gold, given their position between Europe and the Middle East/Asia. So trade pretty much had to go through them.

And with that boat load of gold, they hired a boat load of mercenaries, they had one of the worlds first intelligence services (Kind of…) amongst other things. The Byzantines were amaaaaaaaaaaaazing. (By the way, if you ever play them in the game, don’t forget to raise the varangian guard. That’s 4000 men you wouldn’t have had.)

9. Arathian says:

Aw damn, I have already spend around 1000 hours on this game according to steam.

MAKE IT STOOOOOPPPP

10. Podesta says:

I want to know what happened to Queen Justa!

11. pakoito says:

Best thing is, as my netbook couldn’t run it, I’ll start playing by the time the game is feature-complete. And AGoT mod too :P

12. Aaax says:

I wish they’d make official Game of Thrones expansion. That would be… undescribable.

13. SkittleDiddler says:

At least they’re not releasing any more fucking music packs.

Comment on this story