Do It Yourself In Skyrim Hearthfire

By Alec Meer on August 28th, 2012 at 3:15 pm.

Here’s official news on the second Skyrim expansion, Hearthfire. The hook here is that you get to build yourself a home from the ground up, which involves finding yourself a patch of land then building and expanding a building appropriate to your tastes/budget upon it. It’s the Sims in dragon-addled Scandinavia, essentially. Apparently you can also adopt children, but hopefully not by abducting them from happy NPC families.Take a look below.

Apologie for the brevity of this post. Team RPS is currently assembled for a meeting in John’s house, drinking tea and eating year-old defrosted scones, so apparently I need to listen to what the others are saying instead of drooling onto my keyboard.

Edit: oh hey, here’s some bulletpoints for you.

· Choose Your Land – Choose from property in the salt marshes of Hjaalmarch, the forests of Falkreath, or the vast tundra of The Pale. For the more ambitious landowner, purchase multiple plots and start building a real estate empire.

- Customize Your Home – Expand your home with a variety of room combinations including an armory, alchemy tower, kitchen, trophy room and more. Grow plants in your new greenhouse, cultivate slaughterfish in the fish hatchery, house your Arcane Enchanter in the enchanting tower, or display your latest conquest in the trophy room. Add additional features like stables, mills, smelters, gardens and more.

- New Objectives and Interactions – Guard your home from unwanted visitors like marauding kidnappers, armed bandits, and skeever infestations. Turn almost any follower into your personal steward to improve and protect your home. Or if you require more help, hire a personal bard or carriage driver to ease the burdens of home ownership.

- Adoption – Transform your house into a home with Hearthfire’s all-new adoption system. Adopt children and discover new ways to interact with your family. Play games with the kids, allow them to have pets and gain new bonuses from having a family.

, , .

1. deadly.by.design says:

But can we make the NPCs pee themselves or set the kitchen on fire?

• Cacmieiamc says:

Really good article! I own a PS3 and sick of most authors complaining about how long Dawnguard is taking. You hit the points very well without being negative. Very good read :)

Skyrim Hearthfire DLC now available for Xbox 360 users for free download.

2. Whallaah says:

It’s already a mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLo-vSKYiNE

So, I wonder if it’s worth another 20 EUR.

@fyro11, and thus, they lower the value of their game considerably. Skyrim is not a just a game, but a complete package featuring a strong community and modders: The Minecraft-appeal.

• fyro11 says:

Now you know why a lot of developers/publishers choose not to include modding support/tools.

• UmmonTL says:

Except they probably take a look at what mods are popular every now and then. With all the “make house xyz prettier / more well lit / etc”-mods out there it makes sense that they can squeeze out a little money by improving upon those. All they need is to make their addon a little better than the mods and people will pay for it, especially if it is moddable as well.
        The most current mod I know of has just one location where you can build your custom house while this addon appears to have several. If modders can add more locations and more customization it will become an even stronger selling point for the addon

• Jools says:

I’m not exactly going to feel bad for professional developers that can’t out produce something created by a hobbyist in his or her spare time. Mods are awesome because you get bits of content or new mechanics that are niche as hell (and often awful and disturbing too, but that’s another issue) and that no developer could justify spending money on, but mods that are actually polished and well done are few and far between.

• obowersa says:

It’s also worth considering our console bretheren here.

With the lack of mod support on the console versoins, picking the best of the PC Mod crop then polishing/improving on them to release across all platforms makes a lot of financial sense.

• socrate says:

imo they should just buy a PC and realize they just keep getting exploited…i mean dawnguard was a spit in the face…and didn’t they say they would make DLC closer to expantion…dawnguard wasn’t worth 20$ at all the vampire was horribly made and seems just like a way to get quick sale fast and then people realized that not being able to go FPS was just extremely clumsy and of bad value

and when you look at it skyrim is just a copy and paste of every mod from oblivion that made it playable and actually fun,bethesda as always been about using stuff that they didn’t create and claim it their own idea and them actually making game when all they do is recycle content from old game and mod that made them actually worth playing

the whole point is PC will never die because unlike the console exploiting disgrace they actually make and invent and innovate in the genre even now without the BIG INDUSTRY support…indie and modder have evolved gaming in the past 10 to 15 year more then any big industry that just milk consoler and bring nothing to this world but shame and disgrace to our race…oh and lets not forget how most of these industry have totally and still turn their back on PC gamer and never ask what we actually want because they are so smart they always know what we want /rolleye,and now they come back to us on their knee slowly but surely…I SAY PUSHA! NEVER AGAIN WILL YOU FOOL ME WOLF!!MUAHAHAHAHA…..

got a bit carried away there…i will say it again i miss expansion…damn kids and their DLC

• Yglorba says:

A really good mod can earn a game’s makers a ton of money, not in the least because they can just buy out the mod’s developers and sell a proven-successful game at a huge profit with little risk or development time. Team Fortress, DotA, and Counterstrike, after all, all started as mods; and even before it was bought out, there’s no question that Counterstrike was one of the big things moving Half-Life’s sales later in its lifecycle.

• tugboat captain says:

I think it’s a good thing that this has been given the official treatment, (I have played a lot of crappy house mods…) and I assume people will be able to mod this expansion as well.

I share your hesitation about the price….but I would love to see more DLCs expanding the range of things that are possible instead of just more storylines and items, and covering the topics of the most popular mods.

I’ve seen lots of people lose interest in skyrim after the illusion breaks (play so long you can see the ‘seams’ in the world), I think that’s why most mods try and fix this stuff so you can kind of ‘live’ in the world without being reminded of it’s flaws every 10 seconds……it would take a long time to sort out that stuff (and that’s why they didn’t do it while they were making the game, justifiable in my opinion) but I’d be willing to pay for it (even after the game is released).

• povu says:

I think this one is only 5 euros.

• werix says:

This very mod actually got me back into skyrim after like a six month absence. But beign able to pick my own place would be nice.

3. Ateius says:

Building and populating a stronghold over the course of a small quest chain was one of my favourite things from Morrowind, and I was disappointed to see them drop it in favour of purchasing pre-built houses. Hearthfire doesn’t look to operate quite the same way, but it’s a similar idea, so assuming they don’t charge something silly for it I’m definitely interested.

4. Wodge says:

Isn’t this pretty much what you’ll get if you spend 20 minutes browsing SkyrimNexus?

• RobinOttens says:

And if you buy Fighter’s Stronghold, Thieves’ Den, Evil Lair or Wizard’s Tower for Oblivion. There’s a lot of user made house mods for Oblivion, and then there were a bunch of official DLC ones. Why shouldn’t Skyrim get a Bethesda-made house mod?

I’m holding out for a Shivering Isles/Bloodmoon style expansion though.

• AgamemnonV2 says:

Those are actually decent housing DLC, as they go a little above and beyond the normal call for existing housing in the game.

Hearthfire is essentially Breezehome but outside a city. That’s not exactly compelling.

• Stevostin says:

Nope. Doesn’t mean you’ll enjoy it more, thus.

5. piphil says:

So, basically it’s Skyrim: DovahSiim…?

I’ll get my coat…

6. felisc says:

A rps meeting ? You’re not going to fire Horace, are you ?

7. Lars Westergren says:

“Exclusively for XBox”, just like the previous one. But hey, maybe one day they really mean that.

Looks neat though. I’m up for some more crafting.

8. JackShandy says:

Only adopt a child? Is the Dovakhiin infertile?

• piphil says:

Few too many arrows to the sweetroll if you know what I mean?

• Shantara says:

I think they didn’t want to deal with issues of interracial and same-sex relationships and decided to take an easier way out.

• gwyrdd says:

I thought interracial breeding wasn’t much of an issue in ES lore, though — I’m sure I read something about children always taking on the traits of their mother, so that there isn’t much actual “mixing” going on really? Either way, it’s a huge shame they won’t let you go full-Sims and have your own little snappers.

• Jackablade says:

Sounds like a convenient excuse for characters looking the same.

• Shantara says:

I know it’s a fantasy universe, but this doesn’t make any biological sense whatsoever. Well, I guess writers needed some way to explain why the world isn’t swarming with crossbreeds.

• LionsPhil says:

“Species boundaries actually matter” would do the trick, but I suspect they’ve already violated that one with a ten foot “pole”.

• InternetBatman says:

There is at least one Human-Orc hybrid in the lore though.

Personally, I don’t like worrying about Biology in video games. It gets in the way of my Dark Spore fanfiction.

• Qazi says:

In the in-universe backstory, most of the playable races in TES games were all descendant from the Ehlnofey race (yes, even the Khajiit). Except the Argonians, who in the in-universe history books, were created/modified by a race of Sentient Trees called Hist, as an Interface between them and the Ehlnofey that constantly threatened them with their Elf vs Man wars.

Because Magic. This is a world where Magic pours into the world through holes in the sky as light. :s
            Why do we so desire to apply the rules of our reality to a fantasy one?

• Faldrath says:

There’s an ingame book that sort of explains it, actually:

• JackShandy says:

I guess you don’t want to hang around waiting for 12 months either.

• phlebas says:

I’d have thought 9 was more traditional. You’d have a longer wait, though, given that people in Skyrim don’t age.

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

Argonian eggs + alchemy = player guilt

• Unaco says:

I highly doubt that is the reason, considering Skyrim has had same-sex and interracial relationships and marriages since it was released.

I think it’s more likely to be as others have said… You don’t want to wait 9 – 12 months. And even then, babies are pretty boring when they’re new born.

• AgamemnonV2 says:

Notice how there’s only Nord children in Skyrim? Bethesda isn’t going to take the time to model, animate, and hire voice actors so all races have children counterparts.

• Magnusm1 says:

I’m not sure how they would handle this, as time doesn’t really pass in Skyrim.

9. gwyrdd says:

I would only want to adopt a neighbourhood child if they were Elf/Argonian/Khajiit/Orc — but I assume we’re still never going to get a non-generic-caucasian child, are we? If you’re going to go the homestead route, you might as well go whole-hog and let players actually have children themselves and produce weird, massive-nosed sprats with well-defined veins. Or make the marriage aspect generally a lot less empty.

10. Kid_A says:

Or, y’know, I can go into the Steam Workshop or SkyrimNexus, and have something almost identical for free. It’s really amazing how DLC decisions seem to be “give console players what the PC lot mod in for themselves” these days…

• Mollusc Infestation says:

Oh, just let the xbox players lord it over us with their “exclusive” you spoil sport. That way we all get to revel in our own smugness.

11. Didden says:

Didn’t realise it was April the 1st already. Seriously, this is a thing? Bring back horse armour.

• MSJ says:

What are you addling about?

Skyrim is a game where my vampire lizard farts fire at My Little Ponies while they are fighting horkers when suddenly Macho Man Randy Savage strafes the scenery with fire so I hop on my convertible while my companion in her Metroid armor summons a xenomorph that barfs rainbows to fight everyone. Raising a child and building a home is a simple respite from all that. At least until 100 Louis Letrushes swims to the house and I have to kill them all and then hunt a rabbit that is the sole witness to my killing spree.

12. MythArcana says:

Someone please get this poor guy some polygons before he shrivels up and ends up in Minecraft.

13. abandonhope says:

Apparently horse armor was just a little bump on the approach to the ramp that jumps the shark. I’m not specifically opposed to this being in the game, but playing house is not the kind of thing that would inspire me to start playing again.

Edit: actually, scratch that part about jumping the shark. Five bucks, that’s reasonable for some shit-to-do content in between expansions. I’m still hoping for one that’s a little more inventive than vampires vs. hunters.

• 2late2die says:

So don’t, nobody’s forcing you to buy this.

• abandonhope says:

If I don’t buy the DLC, Todd Howard has threatened to adopt me and tell me generic bedtime stories. :(

• Arglebargle says:

But that would get you in close enough to use the knife! Go for it!

• alundra says:

Yeah, you are right, how dare he question the mediocrity of a mediocre attempt at a mediocre cash grab with a mediocre dlc.

The mediocrity of those who don’t blindly purchase any mediocre product being shoved down their mediocre throats….

/s

14. 2late2die says:

Re: All those talking about SkyrimNexus.
    You guys ever considered non-PC players? The ones that can’t just download mods easily?
    It’s this kinda attitude that gives us PC gamers a bad name. If you got the game on PC and you were able to download a better version of this DLC months before – great. But if Bethesda wants to make it into an official DLC so it’s available on the 360 and PS3 I say all the power to them and kudos.

• Harlander says:

You guys ever considered non-PC players?

I’m sorry, I don’t understand what you’re referring to here.

• Whallaah says:

I would consider it a private, commercial, evaluation: 5 Euro for a bottle of water is a bargain in the Sahara but here in the Netherlands, that’s simply to little, to late. If other users bought a console version, then they have their own reasons for that and they might value the DLC. For skyrim nexus users that easily have 50+ mods, it’s a sham.

I don’t piss down on the ‘dirty console peasants’, I just wonder if it’s worth my (Glorious PC gaming master race) 20 Euro.

• Tuimic says:

It’s going for 400ms points, which is about what, a fiver in euros?

If it’s not a buggy mess (who are we kidding…), then a fiver for this mod sounds reasonable, particularly for those poor folk on consoles who can’t just log into steamworks or nexus and get it for free.

15. Sic says:

If this isn’t a buggy mess, then I’ll eat my hat.

Very cool idea, though I’m still waiting for all the awesome features of the game jam Howard presented a few months back.

I mean, pretty much all of those ideas were brilliant, and quite a few of them were very implementable.

Also… wasn’t that the music from the original Discworld game?

[EDIT: Nevermind, after re-watching the game-jam video I discovered this is exactly what they're doing, only a bit at the time. So, yeah, nice going Bethesda; but please, why not implement gameplay and immersion stuff first? Favorites and commands for followers, for instance?]

16. Adekan says:

The fact better versions of this are available for free aside, this seems a bit silly if I’m honest. Also, did anybody else notice the part where he says you can ” impress your friends “? How exactly would you do that in a single player game?

Clearly he is insinuating, in his bored monotone voice, that we have no friends that aren’t controlled by AI routines.

• Spakkenkhrist says:

Better? So you’ve played this already then?

• WoWhunterBM says:

What i think he is actually trying to say is, ‘I have friends in the real world, maybe they will come round my home one day like friends do, and I can show them my house’. Clearly that is what he meant – the fact that you have no friends outside the computer screen does not mean others do not that will come round and look at their humble skyrim house.

• Josh W says:

It’s great how we’ve brought, “come round and check out my amazing house” to the masses, people come round to your physical house, in order for you to show them the virtual house you’ve built.

Aside from grand designs people, I’d say that’s actually more impressive.

17. JiminyJickers says:

I’m keen, just hope it is a bit cheaper than Dawnguard. Still haven’t tried it since I’m waiting for the price to come down some.

18. roryok says:

Ah belethor. You really hate showing me your merchandise, growling “take a look” every time through gritted teeth with that James Woods voice of yours. Our love can never be

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

My personal favorite is Eorlund Grey-Mane. He’s the exclusive supplier of equipment to the Companions and regarded as the finest smith in Whiterun (maybe all of Skyrim), but when you browse his wares he shouts, “Praise the Gods!” as if he’s desperate for business.

• sasayan says:

I always took it as less “Praise the gods, finally some business!” and more “Praise the gods, this nuts finally gonna shut up and buy something!”

19. Drinking with Skeletons says:

You know what I’m trying to do? I’m trying to see if any of the DLC includes any trends regarding other provinces in Tamriel. Oblivion featured some NPC chatter about Skyrim and daedra worshippers in the Summerset Isle, and we get a sequel set in Skyrim and featuring Elven fascists. While I’m enjoying the DLC and mods for Skyrim, I’m also enjoying the metagame of trying to divine the series’ next installment. Here’s what I have so far:

Skyrim Vanilla: Caravans from Elsweyr who pine for their homes (and describe it in detail). Non-khajiit NPCs who remark about the caravans and wonder about how odd Elsweyr must be in comparison to Skyrim. Lots of people from Hammerfell, which is now an independent nation-state after being abandoned by the Empire and having fended off the Thalmor. The region isn’t described in as much detail as Elsweyr, though.

Dawnguard: A lost soul in the Soul Cairn remarks (in detail) about no longer being in Elsweyr. Another remarks about Hammerfell, once again in less detail.

Anyone else have any contributions to this utterly pointless exercise?

• zachforrest says:

i love this stuff. Agreed on Elsweyr. Hammerfell as it stands sounds too boring, apart from the coast.

• Hidden_7 says:

I figure it’s gotta be Elsewyr for the same reasons. There’s certainly a fair bit of mention of Hammerfell, but the fact that we’ve been to Hammerfell already in both Daggerfall and the action-adventure spin off Redguard (as well as, obviously, Arena, but we went everywhere in Arena) leads me to believe that we won’t be seeing it again so soon.

At least I hope we won’t. I’m all for revisiting places with new technology in a new era and what not, but not before we’ve at least explored other spots, especially places as interesting sounding as Elsewyr or Black Marsh.

• MrTrent says:

I can’t say i’m massively optimistic about there being a next instalment. Not for a long time anyway, after they’ve got this silly MMO stuff out of their system.

20. S Jay says:

So Dawnguard was “more of Skyrim” (the part no one wanted more, not the other). And this one is “not Skyrim at all”.

• Davie says:

What, exactly, is the part of Skyrim you want more of, if Dawnguard wasn’t good enough?

21. roethle says:

This seems… dumb.

22. Borborygme says:

I thought the trailer was a joke for a minute… The announcer couldnt sound less excited. And that pastoral music, lol… this sounds like a bad home improvement ad. Fight dragons and become a hero of epicm proportions! or… decorate your home… and grow some plants…

• Lagwolf says:

I did as well. I thought this was satire at first. BTW since you have to adopt does being Dovakin mean you are sterile?

To me it looks like an advert for a lame 80s American family sitcom… thought that might have been deliberate.

23. Monkeh says:

Guess I´ll have to buy this DLC, since I love building homes and such.

24. Beelzebud says:

It annoys me that for some the idea of role playing is to basically play “house”.

• Unaco says:

It annoys me that people can get annoyed at how other people choose to play single player, sandbox style games.

• Imbecile says:

Its annoys me tha – aaah fuck it

:P

• Beelzebud says:

Hey whatever floats your boat. Enjoy playing house. Maybe your little sister can join you for a tea party.

• Oak says:

Now back to casting magical spells on these wood elves like a real man.

25. MadMatty says:

Adoption? I think my Wood Elf archer should be able to make some kids by herself- id rather see an expansion, on the rigors of wood elf pregnancy

26. Drinking with Skeletons says:

I look forward to the real estate ads.

Falkreath: Quiet, tree-covered splendor for the outdoorsman in you! Convenient access to Skyrim’s largest cemetery! Don’t go near the black door!

Hjaalmarch: Do you like fishing? Then you’ll love living in the middle of this soggy, cold swamp infested by dog-sized, extremely venomous insects! Best suited for those seeking privacy, as the superstitious and generally miserable local peasants have little interest in outsiders, and might well be eaten by vampires long before you arrive. Priced to move!

The Pale: Voted “Best Place to Die of Hypothermia, Frost-Bite, and Ice-Spirit-Related Causes, Assuming You Aren’t Pulled Down by Ravening Wolves” for six years running! Located within convenient hiking distance of the even-more-hostile-to-life Winterhold! Please note that the realtors are not accountable for Daedra-related nightmares, insomnia, or madness. Again, stay the fuck away from the black door!

• Bart Stewart says:

This was my first thought as well.

“Hey, Adventurer! Tired of wandering? Gold burning a hole in your wallet? Took an arrow to the knee?

Why not make your new home at Dragonborn Acres, the friendliest place in Skyrim (for suitably relaxed definitions of friendly)?”

Sounds like fun to me. Why all the kvetching around here? Was there really not enough MurderDeathKill and dragon-bothering in the original game that all DLC must be limited to more of the same?

If Bethesda had only cared about High-Intensity Carnage! they could have made a game out of 2D blue squares stabbing each other with red triangles. Instead, the environment matters — hence day/night cycles, weather, varied biomes, and lots of crinkly terrain… and towns and houses.

Skyrim is designed to be not just fun to “play in” for those who like that, it’s also built to be fun to “live in” for extended periods. The first DLC has already started adding more action — I see nothing wrong, and quite a lot good, with there being at least one bit of DLC that adds more simulationist goodness as well.

I’d be willing to bet that Bethesda’s metrics show that a lot of players take advantage of the dialog options that let them full kit out each room of every house that can be bought. Expanding that play mode will, I suspect, turn out to be popular and profitable.

Plenty of time for the Shivering Isles-sized DLC that lets us boot the invading “High Elf Theocrats” out of Skyrim. (I’m betting TES VI goes to Summerset Isle.)

27. gummybearsliveonthemoon says:

Yeah, no. First the Vampire DLC, when I didn’t want to be a vampire or werewolf in the main game either, as I was playing as lawful good as I could (even the Thieves guild weren’t the old Robin Hoods, just extortionist scum). Then, SkySim?

Wake me when we get a DLC where we get to pound the ever loving shit out of the High Elf Theocrats.

• famousright says:

This. Come on, Bethesda. It’s nice and all, but things I really want are some elven stuff, perhaps, some special elven forces with a new armor, new territiories. I want a rich, full expansion, like Tribunal. Involve daedra, magical cities, parallel universes, dwemer history. That’s what interesting. Personally I’m comepletly not interested in vampire stuff. And expanding the housekeeping is nice, but that won’t really make an expansion. I understand you are busy with Dishonored, but give Skyrim some love. It deserves it.

• Leosaurus says:

Someone didn’t play Dawnguard, apparently.

Tons of lore in there. Not gonna spoiler, but dude…Dwemer history. A full Dwemer sidequestline as well. Hooooly shit, you need to really play Dawnguard.

• Imbecile says:

True, but you could always kill those evil vampires like wot I did. The expansion was ok, but felt very unnecessary. ( I loved the thieves guild though, and I tend to be a goodie-goodie. Actually felt like something a proper thieves guild would do, the quests were decent, and the loot was good)

28. caulder says:

Taking existing mods, slapping a price tag on them and not even crediting the original modders. No thanks

• Magnusm1 says:

Uhh.. that’s not what happened.

• Azradesh says:

Sometimes people are so stupid that it’s best just to ignore them. That or they are just looking for a reason to get angry.

29. hypercrisis says:

what a shame youre clearly shoehorned into one exact building the game dictates to you. id be interested if it allowed one to take control of the architecture their own way.

30. soulblur says:

Yeah… I think this sounds great. I’ve wanted to be able to buy plots of land and build a house for a while. I like the increased simulation of life in Skyrim. Now, if I could only build the home, then other build homes around me, and a village springs up. Then a mine nearby, and traffic between the mine and village and local farms….

31. UncleLou says:

These official screenshots and videos really look hilariously dated when you’re used to seeing the game with mods.

32. RegisteredUser says:

Given the amount of XXX mods for this one(and all other Bethesda modables quite frankly), shouldn’t we all finally be honest with ourselves and get official support for MAKING children instead of just adopting them?

• caddyB says:

Making children takes time. Well not making them, but giving birth to one.

33. PopeBob says:

God bless you if you are the audience for this, but I cannot for the life of me inhabit that mindspace. Pay money on top of the purchase price in order to build a delightful cottage home and have kids? Houses in Morrowind were cool, but they weren’t really houses in the down-home-rural-family sense. Plus I didn’t have to purchase them with sweet, sweet real moneys.

34. Love Albatross says:

So we’re paying £20 to scroll through some merchant menus in order to buy some land, a particular size of house and furnishings? With the odd fetch quest and lame fight chucked in there?

I’ll pass.

• choconutjoe says:

Where did you get £20 from?

It’s about £3.50 on the Xbox.

• Love Albatross says:

My mistake, I thought it was full price DLC.

Still a pointless addition.

35. beema says:

If all this adds is extra things to collect and a couple new randomized radiant dealies, it sounds pretty lame.
    I have no desire to go back to Skyrim and build myself a house if there isn’t actually anything left to do in Skyrim. There needs to be some kind of story or driving force, some reason to make me want to keep being there.

36. pilouuuu says:

Hopefully at some point they will make some DLC that includes interesting quests and engaging characters which you can remember the name of.

I think there’s hope to Skyrim and I must say that it’s a fun killing and hiking simulator (and now household a la Sims simulator), but as an RPG it fails. I even think that… yes, Dragon Age II is a more fun RPG.

37. LennyLeonardo says:

Unlike most people here I feel this actually speaks to what I love about the Elder Scrolls games: they’re RPG’s you just want to muck about in.

Unfortunately, none of them have had the writing or characters to sustain that desire for very long, but in lieu of that, the chance to actually make a permanent mark on the landscape is still fairly tempting.

OR: I’m the kind of guy who spends ages arranging the cups just so in Breezehome, so, like, this is for me, obvs.

Edit: “RPG’s”????! Jesus fucking christ, what’s wrong with me? Bad apostrophe! Grumbles.

38. Iskariot says:

Adopt children?
    But I am a vampire lord.
    Perhaps I can raise a few vampire kids and teach them how to slaughter, maim and kill.

• Leosaurus says:

Or adopt a stable of adorable little blood sacks for convenient feeding when you can’t make the trip to Castle Volkihar.

39. MrTrent says:

This actually sounds right up my street. If it really does only cost about £5 then i’ll get it and i can see myself quite happily wasting lots of time filling up display cases and dressing mannequins. I hope i can build the house big. I really liked the Fighter’s Stronghold DLC for Oblivion letting me have my own castle.

(Although there was a massive problem with that: no guest quarters. What’s the point in having my own castle, with lots of pretty stuff and awesome stuffed beasties on display when i can’t have mates over to stay? I can’t exactly put Jauffre in the servants quarters, can i?)

40. Oak says:

And I’m Nick Breckon.

41. Servizio says:

So if you own the PC version and aren’t allergic to modding, there isn’t a lot of appeal for this. If you own the Xbox version and are incapable of modding however, there’s probably a ton of appeal for this. And if you’re Bethsoft and you earn money hand over fist on Console versions and DLC, there’s boatloads of appeal here. Makes sense all around, I guess.