Fuel Overdose Certainly Looks Like Something

By Jim Rossignol on August 29th, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

Partial something
On viewing the Fuel Overdose trailer (below), John remarked “It looks a bit poop.” But I had other scatological references on my mind, which were that it looked a bit like one of my favourite racing games from olden times, Skidmarks, or a bit like 2D open-world racer, Roadkill. If Fuel Overdose manages to reach into that long-lost isometric racer territory with skill, then all will be well, and not poopy at all. Perhaps with “grappling hooks to grab your enemies and perform perfect turns” it’ll manage to make that arcade racing thing work for 2012. We can hope.

Not sure why “partial nudity” is a thing, though. Perhaps it has something to do with the name of the developers: I-Friqiya. Huh?

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. PleasingFungus says:

I would assume the ‘partial nudity’ is ladies not wearing very much, perhaps on the finish line or in a cutscene.

That would be very much in the arcade tradition, for whatever that’s worth.

(I do like the idea of driving a semi with a grappling hook. It’s pretty funny to watch.)

• rapchee says:

i recon the nudity was the guy’s abs in the last few seconds

• alundra says:

OMFG for a moment I thought there were women in there showing parts of their sinful bodies and we would have to call the SS police.

What’s with RPS and nudity anyway?? One would think that with all the nude beaches found across Europe, some even full of outdoors fornication, an animeish guy showing his abs would be like seeing a woman in an executive suit.

• LionsPhil says:

RPS is situated in Britain. Wearing anything less than a sheepskin jacket on our stony beaches is just going to freeze your nipples right off.

Unless it’s the one week of summer, in which case exposing any of your pale, pasty British skin to sunlight that has not been filtered through the usual cloud layer is just going to turn it into agonizing red sores.

2. gritz says:

Looks fun

3. ColOfNature says:

Skidmarks.! Still makes me snigger, even after all these years. That was the bestest racing game ever!

4. Didero says:

The main problem is see is that it seems to lack a sense of speed. Something I think is pretty important for a racing game.
    Grappling hooks is a fun addition to a racing game, but I’m not sure it can carry the game.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

This is about ODing on fuel, I think speed is a drug for a different game. Perhaps Mad Truckers?

5. Jad says:

Oh man, you had me excited: I thought this was a follow-up to Asobo’s Fuel. That game epitomized for me idea of a game that is terrible for the majority of people, but for a certain few with a certain mind-set, is totally awesome. That mind-set being a pure love of exploration and travel — you don’t care about where you’re trying to go, or what you’re going to do when you get there, only the question “what’s over that ridge?” is important, not the actual answer.

Anyway, oddly enough this trailer is reminding me of the iOS racer Reckless Racing 2, which I didn’t like as much as the first one, so … man, I’m being rather unfairly harsh on this game, aren’t I? Sorry, I-Friqiya, it’s me, not you.

• The Random One says:

I concur. Fuel is a simply brilliant game. I’m a city bug and hate the great outdoors in and out of games, but Fuel made me love it.

• Oneironaut says:

I felt the same way. Steam tells me that I played 33 hours of FUEL. Even thought it was rather empty, I really enjoyed driving around aimlessly in the game’s giant map.

• Bobtree says:

Codemasters lawsuit incoming.

6. atticus says:

”But I had other scatological references on my mind” is a sentence too rarely used when describing new shit. I approve!

7. Radiant says:

Mashed on the ps whatever is also another great reference point.

yandexx says:

Reminds me of good old Ignition.

• alundra says:

Ignition!!!! I had totally forgotten about that game it was so awesome!

9. Ravenholme says:

Looks like it’s failing to be Redline: The Game.

Now that would be an awesomely over the top racing game.

10. fyro11 says:

I want Micro Machines V5 in the vein of V3, not the distasteful V4.

EDIT: This looks good, too.

• Excelle says:

All I’ve ever wanted is Micro Machines 2 with a proper multiplayer racing mode. The mode in the original – where one person going off the screen would reset the race back to the track – was frustrating in the extreme.

11. S Jay says:

Rock’n’roll racing remake

Jackablade says:

The placeable environmental traps is something I’ve only ever seen in a game that I worked on back in the day who’s only other notable feature was that the Japanese renamed it *deep breathe* “Simple DS Volume 13: Race Through Crazy Weather The Stormy Drift Rally”.

Maybe it’s popped up in other titles, but I’ll be damned if I’m not going to take credit for it.

13. Excelle says:

I was about to scroll past this until I saw Skidmarks in the middle of the article. Thanks Jim – colour me interested.