Green Light For Steam Greenlight – Live Now

By John Walker on August 30th, 2012 at 6:10 pm.

Steam Greenlight – the new system by which Valve will allow Steam users to vote for which indie games they want to see available on the service – has just gone live.

It’s launched with around 40 games available to choose from, including familiar names like Incredipede, The Intruder and Project Giana. There’s a bunch of info about each game, along with screenshots and videos, with the option to vote for those you’re interested in playing.

This is Valve’s effort to have a community-driven system that gets the indies people think they’ll be interested in playing onto the store, with developers able to submit their games to the process. And this is possibly no bad thing, as we’ve heard very many stories of developers of well-respected games struggling to see their creations get past Valve’s… esoteric selection system.

Of course, there’s always the question, well, why shouldn’t all these games be on Steam? It does seem a slightly arbitrary system, with people voting for games they likely have never played, meaning completely unknown gems may got lost in the mix. Valve states,

“The community should be deciding what gets released. After all, it’s the community that will ultimately be the ones deciding which release they spend their money on.”

I’m not sure I entirely agree. I’m not sure the wisdom of crowds is necessarily going to be the best selection process for developers without a publisher to do the negotiating for them. But it will certainly make for interesting times, as smaller devs attempt to get communities to endorse them, and see their products getting through. I’m just not sure why they have to go through this, when mainstream games with publishers do not. Wouldn’t it make just as much sense to see EA and Activision’s games going head to head in the voting system if that’s the logic behind it? (That’s not the logic behind it, is it?)

Anyhow, hopefully this means that a lot of lesser known developers will now have a stronger chance of making it onto the store. I think, ultimately, I’d prefer to see a store where everything gets sold, without having to fight it out in an arena first.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. pakoito says:

And I got the first discussion thread ever :D

• Ultra Superior says:

John’s point is excellent I couldn’t agree more.

Steam already sells so much crap, set some ground rules and just release any decent game. No need for kickstarting on a platform that sells finished products.

This smells of whomever panders to the crowds, wins.
      Best indie games are usually discovered after they’ve been released and tested by players.

• donmilliken says:

Which is why the games most likely to get enough upvotes are the ones that are already established names, having already been released through other sites or on other platforms. We wouldn’t need Greenlight if games like Mutant Mudds didn’t get rejected for no discernable reason.

• rockman29 says:

It’s just a ‘get the community involved, participating in something = moneyhats.’ Not a big deal. That’s business.

• MikoSquiz says:

The current system doesn’t work, despite Valve’s best efforts. Good stuff gets rejected, awful crap gets sold, there’s no rhyme or reason that anyone can distinguish. For whatever reason, Valve can’t hack it on their own without assistance, so Greenlight was sorely needed. And everyone likes to have a say.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

Indeed. It seems like Valve have merely swapped one crap system for another.

• PokerVertigo says:

What a great idea, having us tell them what games we would like, kinda like Reddit for games basically!

This game looks very cool! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92987433

• Mad Hamish says:

Yeah because that’s worked great for reddit. I can’t wait to see the game equivalent of the ever popular pun thread.

2. MythArcana says:

Now everyone gets a Money Hat and a Gold Star! Now that’s what gaming is all about! : /

We wouldn’t need this program if Valve didn’t have a damned monopoly on everything.

• GSGregory says:

Except devs can easily sale the game off their site and many still do. Desura also has many of these games.

• Mctittles says:

Actually with all the marketing that will be needed to beat out the top votes on greenlight I’d rather just sell the game on my own website, get 100% profit and spend the marketing promoting my site instead.

If your going to have to advertise your game to get on steam now, might as well skip the middleman.

3. simoroth says:

Cool! Maybe I should chuck Maia up on there…

4. Srethron says:

To the shame of my indie cred, I’ve never heard of most of these games. Someone tell me how to vote! All right, maybe not. Tell me more!

• choconutjoe says:

Vote for Air Buccaneers, Underrail and Project Zomboid.

That should get you off to a good start :D

• hatseflats says:

Vote for Octodad: Dadliest Catch, the sequel to the most delightful Octodad game, which you can play for free here.

Great game, very different from most other games, be they AAA or indie. Not the usual brown shooter or fantasy (MMO)RPG, nor a puzzle/platformer/tower defence game “with a twist”.
      Just “a dapper octopus masquerading as a human, as he goes about a day of his life”.

TL;DR: support Octodad: Dadliest Catch. It will make you and your life better.

• Srethron says:

Thanks!

• Jabberwocky says:

Vote for Salvation Prophecy

I know the guy who made it. He needs beer money.

5. djbriandamage says:

I was iffy on this concept until I read RPS’ interview with Charles Cecil. Cecil talked about how Kickstarter is a great way to evaluate customer interest and get the public’s opinions before the product is launched. Greenlight seems like an extension of this idea, but instead of crowdsourced funding this is crowdsourced publishing. Both concepts give an indication of customers’ likelihood of purchasing a product.

I see a couple of games on there that I’d like to succeed (NEStalgia and DLC Quest) and Steam is a fantastic megaphone to share my praise.

• Vesper says:

Do you think that Valve’s ultimate goal is to get indies out of Kickstarter and into their own Steam system entirely?

Whatever the future brings, I like Valve evalving (harr) and Steam moving on. More variety = better choice for us.

• Optimaximal says:

Not really… Kickstarter is there to get these games made, Greenlight is just to push them to the top of Valve’s To-Do list.

• InternetBatman says:

No, Kickstarter is for funding development. This is just trying to get the good indies Valve has missed on the Steam platform.

• GSGregory says:

Desura has dlc quest not sure about the other.

• jrodman says:

Desura has pretty much all of the greenlight candidates (that are serious entries) already, because Desura doesn’t have any significant gatekeeping system.

This is, in turn, why I find browsing Desura frustrating. If I click randomly, I find many games I would never want.

Maybe there’s a way to have it both ways, but aside from the two sites approach (which we have with steam and desura, for example) I’m not sure what that both ways approach would be.

6. pakoito says:

Not 20 minutes in and people is already asking for “Dungeon Keeper, Metal Slug and N64 games” to be added to the list.

7. johnki says:

Dear god, how many freaking votes do they need? Some of these have about 100 favorites already, meaning the amount of “positive ratings” is probably quite a bit higher. And yet, they’re still at 0%.

EDIT: Hmm. If it were 100 per 1%, that’d only be 10,000 votes. Did math wrong.

But still! That’s 10,000 votes from 10,000 people that bothered to go to that page, which probably is going to account for like 10% of consumers that would buy the game anyways, at most.

• johnki says:

And…McPixel has 452 FAVORITES and it’s still at 0% positive votes.

• BubuIIC says:

I don’t think the favourites count towards the percentage. Only the positive votes do (It tells you that it was counted against the percentage when you upvote a game. When you favourite one, it just tells you you have favourited it…)
        Edit: Just speculating though…

• johnki says:

Oh, no, I didn’t assume that they do. I just was saying that the percentage of upvotes is probably higher than favorites (some might upvote it but not favorite it), so the fact that NONE are up to 1% yet is ridiculous. There’s no way they’ll reach 100% anytime soon at these marks.

• Ricardinho says:

There’s no exact number to get 100% and maybe it updates daily?

• BubuIIC says:

But it was released like … an hour ago? Maybe we should just wait a day and see how it turns out then… And I guess these values aren’t set in stone. Hell, maybe Valve even has a bug in their counter… who knows.

• zaphos says:

I don’t think they’ve actually really set the number of votes they’ll need to approve a game yet. The greenlight FAQ page says:

How many votes does a game need to get selected?
      It’s going to change during the first few days/weeks since we don’t know what kind of traffic to expect. Part of the drive for this system is the need for customers to help us prioritize which games they want to see made available on Steam. So the specific number of votes doesn’t matter as much as relative interest in a game compared with other games in Steam Greenlight.

• zaphos says:

The 0% does make voting rather discouraging right now though — especially since it comes up right after you vote. Really seems to want to hammer in: “Look, your vote has no effect!”

• BubuIIC says:

Everything’s in vain!

• johnki says:

Yeah, I get that there’s no set number, but there has to be some number. And that number right now is ridiculous.

And the first few days aren’t going to be enough. Of course traffic will be higher in the first few days.

8. Shuck says:

They’ve made it so easy to submit games that I’m wondering how long it will be before it’s (Greenlight that is) completely unusable due to a large quantity of crap, amateur work filling the space.
    Edit: There are clearly a number of “games” already on there that don’t actually exist yet as anything more than a concept. Oh dear.

• Godwhacker says:

It’s getting that way already. Still, no-one’s going to force you to buy it.

• Shuck says:

Obviously, and I’m not even suggesting that Steam will suddenly be filled with low quality games because most of these won’t generate any interest, but it reduces the utility of the tool (Greenlight) if it’s filled with clutter. Few people are going to bother clicking on each project to evaluate it if the junk to game ratio is too poor. This means that only games with already familiar names will get any attention from people, assuming there isn’t so much clutter that even those are impossible to find.
        I also think allowing people to post their “games” at the concept stage is a big mistake. It not only multiplies the amount of noise, but also Steam Greenlight isn’t the proper place for developers (especially would-be developers) to get a conversation started with potential players, at least not in its current form. It seems like Steam is trying to be an all-inclusive entity for building communities – between game developers and players from the earliest stages of game development and between players of finished games. The problem is that Steam isn’t set up for that sort of functionality (yet, anyways).

• zaphos says:

They encourage developers to submit work that’s just in the concept stage, on their about page. They also say to mark it as such — so their database should know what’s a concept and what’s playable. Hopefully they’ll let users filter content by that, soon?

• Shuck says:

There are a couple problems – you don’t have to be an actual developer (i.e. someone with the actual ability to make games) to submit a concept, and the concept work would have to be identified as such by the poster. Since it’s so easy to submit things, I foresee a lot of content put up by people who lack the experience (or perhaps the self-awareness) to recognize that all they have is a concept (“Hey, I made a model – it’s totally more than just an idea!”), or are just trolling/attention seeking.
        If it were possible, filtering out the concept work would be the least they should do. Systems that allow user submissions always run into problems. You either set up a system by which you can curate content (which would defeat the purpose of Greenlight, really), or you allow the audience to rank, describe and filter content. Problem is they haven’t created a system that allows for that yet.

• Tyraa Rane says:

It’s that way already, unfortunately. One of the first titles to go up was the white chamber…just not by the developers who actually, y’know, made the game. Instead it was someone who’d made some modifications to the game and was trying to distribute it (for sale or not, it wasn’t clear) under their own banner. Even though the game is already free from the original devs. And licensed under a version Creative Commons which doesn’t allow it to be distributed commercially (IE, for sale on Steam).

So many different levels of not kosher right there. It’s since disappeared, so either Steam yanked it or the poster finally saw sense after 7 pages of negative comments.

• Lemming says:

Why the ‘oh dear’? The game doesn’t get released on Steam until there is an actual game. I’m failing to see the risk/problem for the user here…

• Brun says:

The risk is that other games – complete games, ready-to-play – may get displaced by concepts that seem more appealing but whose creators ultimately can’t deliver.

• Shuck says:

Yeah. Concepts are basically worthless – it says nothing about the individual/team’s ability to deliver (given the low barrier to entry, most of these will be ideas by people with absolutely no ability to fulfill the vision). Every 14-year-old who thinks they have a brilliant idea will stick some crap on there and it’ll be impossible to find anything else in a couple months.
          I also generally question the notion of Steam being used to encourage would-be game developers by giving them feedback on their concepts. The infrastructure they’ve put in place is completely wrong for that, even if the notion was worthwhile. It’s like, on top of everything else, Steam is trying to be Kickstarter without any of the actual funding or even that minimal barrier to entry.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

Arguably the Mac App Store already has this problem, with the slight caveat that Apple will bar some games as they see fit, but really it doesn’t do much harm. They still decide what gets featured, and if anything it encourages competition (but also clones, sadly).

9. Mr. Mister says:

I bet McPixel’s gonna get the most votes just because it’s the only one with an animated gif as thumbnail.

EDIT: Also, I SO wanna Intrusion 2 in there, if possible. Just so the game gets more sales and the (only) dev more money, and me more hope of an Intrusion 3.

10. Zeewolf says:

This is a big disappointment. The concept is inherently stupid. I think Steam knows there’s a problem with the submission process, and just wants people to go away so to speak. This thing will not fix that problem and I doub’t it’s meant to either.

11. Zyrxil says:

I wish there were more options than just Thumbs Up / Thumbs Down, like:

3 Thumbs up; Grew an extra one just to say ‘Get this on Steam now!’

Reluctant thumbs up because the idea is solid, but the work done is rather shite, yeah? Non-parallax backgrounds? What century is this?

Half thumb up because the aesthetics are very well done, but damnit, there’s at least two dozen games with the same gameplay out there.

• LTK says:

That degree of nuance is lost on most people. If it were a five-star rating system, the vast majority of ratings would be either five or one star. Better to keep it simple. If the game doesn’t look like something you’d pay money for, I’d refrain from voting entirely, but if it looks like something that doesn’t even deserve to be made, go ahead and downvote. That would be my strategy.

• Optimaximal says:

To reiterate, these games already exist, either in Alpha/Beta or already on platforms such as Desura or sold via the devs website.

Greenlight is for getting them ON STEAM!

• Shuck says:

“these games already exist”
          But they don’t, necessarily. Right now most of these don’t seem to represent finished games. Steam is actually encouraging “developers” (or more accurately, in some cases, would-be developers) to submit entries for work in “any stage of development.” Unless you know about the work from somewhere else, you probably can’t even tell what stage of development it’s in. Steam makes no distinction between a completed game already commercially available and some drawings a kid made.

• trjp says:

This is the classic “people have no fucking idea what their vote means”

5 star systems are mostly bullshit – there’s a cartoon somewhere which says it neater but I can’t be bothered to find it – basically 5 stars is ‘I love it’ and everything else “I think my opinion is worth something and it isn’t”

Even with just Up/Down/Favourite, people may be missing the idea that the point is to GET ON STEAM – you’re not voting for games you LIKE, just games you want to be able to buy/play within Steam (if you already own them – would you buy them again and if not – should you not vote at all then?) :)

12. Paul says:

I do not think it would be humanly possible for Valve to release every single game that would want to get released on Steam. Some filtering is necessary.

13. rustybroomhandle says:

This is a horrible thing. As I commented on the filled-to-the-brim-with-stupid discussion forum – I can’t think of a reason why ALL those games just can’t go on Steam. If people don’t want em, they just won’t buy ‘em.

I realise that having too many shitty games on the platform will mean that it cuts into the amount of promotion-time games get, but sheesh.

• MarigoldFleur says:

Because that would make the Steam storefront akin to the utter disaster that is the Google Play storefront. Completely uncurated and full of shit nobody wants to buy.

• Baines says:

Do you want Steam packed with games that almost no one will care about?

Go to an Xbox 360 and look at the Indie Games section. There are actually some decent indie games, but there are so many titles… Most of which most people aren’t going to find to be worth a dollar. And that is with at least a measure of community gatekeeping.

Mind, half the time it seems Steam wants to carry everything anyway. Just recently I saw Steam listing Super Crate Box. Why in the world would Super Crate Box be on Steam? (No slight to the game, but it is a free single player game.)

14. Inigo says:

I think this is less about letting the masses choose and more about Valve saying “LOOK – LOOK AT THE SHIT WE HAVE TO PUT UP WITH”

• trjp says:

That…

• Tasloi says:

Yeah. It’s already approaching 200 games and counting, 95%+ of which are to put it politely nowhere near good enough to be released on Steam. It would completely dilute the Steam store.

Also this being the internet you get a whole slew of obnoxiously rude comments directed at lesser quality games to read. Not exactly fun either.

• RobF says:

Page owners can at least delete any of the more obnoxious comments if they choose. I’ve only used it to rid myself of a spam comment and generally, people are (so far, fingers crossed) playing fairly nice.

I think some of that is going to go down according to how you present yourself. Or maybe I’m just lucky?

• Shuck says:

This may or may not be its intended purpose, but I suspect it will be the primary use of the system.

15. PatrickSwayze says:

I do like the look of that Gear Up game.

16. BubuIIC says:

Pfft, someone has submitted Half-Life 3. So there are no checks to make sure you are, who you pretend you are…
    Well there won’t probably be much harm, except a few false hopes raised. (Probably for less obvious examples than hl3 though…)

Edit: Aaand… it’s gone already :D

17. nasenbluten says:

Vote up, vote down… seriously?

This shouldn’t be like Youtube. We may upvote everything so they all come out and actually buy whatever afterwards. Silly.

• Gnoupi says:

Exactly, we should have percentage ratings! “I want this game at 68.3% !!”

• nasenbluten says:

Not that either, its just as useless.

Maybe a preorder system or a way to value a game like “I would pay X for it”.

18. tyren says:

They need to explain in their FAQ whether downvotes actually count AGAINST a title releasing or not. The list is cluttered as hell already and still growing, and you can’t get a game off the list without voting, but I’m only indifferent to most of them and don’t want to actively hurt their chances of release.

• Lemming says:

I would think it must, because most games are going to get no votes just because they haven’t been seen. A thumbs down would suggest you not only saw it, you hated it.

19. tlarn says:

Two games I’ve spotted on Greenlight that weren’t submitted by the original creators; White Chamber and Soldat.

While I like the idea of Greenlight, it really needs to be tightened up.

EDIT: Aaand there’s a submission where the only picture is Bugs Bunny with half of Iron Man’s mask on. Are there really no checks or gateways to go through with submission?

• Alevice says:

Worst of all, it came from the infamous Dolan meme. I already reported it.

• Tyraa Rane says:

I’ve seen a couple of games blatantly using stolen assets as well. :/ I like the idea of Greenlight, but it reeeeally needs a tighter vetting system of some sort. Random stolen and/or troll-based junk is going to drown out the actual (non-plagiarized) games at this rate.

• Lemming says:

The point of Green Light is that we are the vetting system. The stupid or dodgy will quickly fall away.

• Tyraa Rane says:

Right. The problem is that there’s games being submitted currently that are flat out stolen from their original developers and submitted by someone else. Someone submitted “the white chamber,” for instance, and I just saw three SCP-based games, all created by different developers yet magically posted by the same person. What are the odds he’s the original author(s) of all three?

So…on one hand, you’ve got people giving games a thumbs up because they recognize the game from somewhere else and would legitimately like to see it on Steam. But on the other hand, there’s no way for your average Joe Greenlighter McVoter to easily verify they’re being posted by the game’s original authors. They may just upvote based on name/title recognition without realizing a game’s been stolen.

Speaking of which, looks like we’ve got Wolfenstein 3D up on Greenlight now. Oh good gravy.

20. Shadrach says:

Well so far the obvious choices for me are Zomboid, GIana and Air Buccaneers. But the list is growing by the minute, so many games!

21. Gnoupi says:

What is depressing is the discussion tab: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/discussions/?appid=765

“Bring BF3!!!”
    “Angry Bird!”
    “8-bit games are stupid, bring real games!!”

22. povu says:

I can see Steam greenlight turning into the iOS store but without the buy button. Ripoffs, here we go!

• InternetBatman says:

Steam already has to deal with ripoffs. I can’t remember where, but in an interview they said 90% of the things they get are things like Battlefield with a new icon and sometimes a new launch screen.

This is just to help the community separate games, and the fact that there are 200 “ripoff of Terraria” comments is an indicator that this could actually work. (Even if they might be being a bit unfair. Is Terraria the only 2D Minecraft allowed? Ever?)

• povu says:

Sure, it’s silly to say that nobody can do a 2D platformer/digging game because Terraria did it, but it can be done without making it look the exact same, and it should try to do something new gameplay mechanics wise and present it that way.

Many art assets in Diggles are nearly identical to Terraria’s, the animations in the video look exactly the same style, etc. So that just looks like a lazy copy.

The Terraria developer’s new game Starbound on the other hand, that’s the kind of innovation you need to come up with if you want to make a Terraria-like game. Bring something new.

• Shuck says:

“I can see Steam greenlight turning into the iOS store but without the buy button.”
      There’s a number of barriers to entry for the app store that don’t exist for Steam’s Greenlight, so it’s going to be a million times worse.

23. Rolpege says:

Just had a look at the discussions boards, and I’m really depressed. I pity the indies who have their games on there, cause they will have a hard time.

It’s basically full of people who want some commercial games like BF3 or Angry Birds, COD, etc. They don’t understand Greenlight is for Indie Games.

Then there’s the whole “indie game sux ima gon thumbs down all of em” crew. And the people who want Minecraft for Steam, etc.

Oh, well…

24. sonofsanta says:

So hypothetically speaking, what would be to stop me clicking upvote on every game because I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings?

…actually, on second glance, what’s stopping me is the fact there’s already 180 on there. Christ.

I suppose the essential other-half of this system is sites like this ‘un here telling us what is worth voting for, and creator campaigns to get noticed. The rest of the internet has to be a map to the chaos of Greenlight.

• sonofsanta says:

Also, Steam needs tabs more than ever now. Get on with that shit, seriously. I will even let you put HL3 down to get this sorted first.

• Xocrates says:

Yeah, considering how poorly organized the page seems to be, I suspect the idea is for people to head there knowing what to vote for, not browse through the (likely soon to be massive) list.

So yeah, it appears to me that devs are supposed to campaign online in order to draw votes.

• MJG says:

Agreed. It’s only been up a few hours and there is already more junk up than I’m willing to sort through. The only way I’ll realistically go back into Greenlight is if a developer I’m following outside the service asks me to.

25. trjp says:

Hmmm – not quite what I’d expected.

I thought there would be a lot of ‘junk’ – but I’d rather hoped their specification would have eliminated at least some of the crud which is already appearing on there.

22 games appeared in the time it took me to look through the 140-odd which were there when I started – and they’re not sorted in any order so I’ve NO idea which ones I’ve looked at and which I haven’t (which will deter people from bothering pretty quickly)

I also don’t like the mixed-messages which are ‘upvote’ and ‘downvote’ (why offer a downvote) and then also ‘favourite’ – I don’t really get that at all.

They’ve said they’ll adjust the votes required as they see what sort of traffic the games are getting – so I imagine they’re just set REALLY high to get things started slowly.

Still, I can easily see a few hundred games a day being submitted and the sheer NOISE being too much for anyone to find anything other than their already-known pet games.

p.s. I’m also unimpressed that you can submit ‘concepts’ – unfinished games – I think they need to separate that completely from this. I think a saleable (or ready to play for free if they’re supporting that) game should be a requirement before you start.

• Gnoupi says:

You can at least filter the ones you already voted on. But yeah, the interface is really the minimum, and messy, for now.

26. InternetBatman says:

Someone get Unepic on Steam.

27. namad says:

everything being sold on steam means that flash games I spent 1hour on that are awful could be sold on steam, it means people will buy a steam game ASSUMING it’s got the basic valve seal of “this at least runs on a computer and is playable even if you might not like it”…

if everything is sold on steam there’s gonna be some extremely weird stuff, there’s gonna be 1000s and 1000s of tiny games that might involve a lot of refunds, or lies, or scams, or… well it might turn into the android/ios/desura/steam combination behemoth store that no one really likes…

• trjp says:

I know what you’re getting at and I sort-of agree with it BUT

Don’t just knock a game based on it’s platform – there are some STELLAR Flash games (Binding of Isaac, 1000 Amps leap to mind) and some truly dreadful crap which isn’t Flash – on Steam already :)

Let’s not get platform and appearance and ‘complexity’ (as viewed by people who often have no idea about game development) get in the way of things eh?

Let’s just hope the system allows us to find the real gems and get them onto Steam for the greater good!!!! *waves flag of Gabe*

28. GSGregory says:

Many of these games are on desura and they are usually drm free there.

29. kwyjibo says:

Thomas Was Alone is not on there :(

30. Everlast says:

So curious if “Sir, You Are Being Hunted” will make an appearance within Steam Greenlight…

• trjp says:

I have a feeling that ‘proper’ studios (people with staff and business plans and stuff) will stick to the trad. submission model – which will work better because all of us ‘bedroom coders’ will be spamming the hell out of Greenlight.

I might be wrong – but I suspect that’s how it will pan-out.

That said – I know some ‘proper studio’ developers who’ve run into a brick wall with Steam before and they’re hoping Greenlight will help – but one already said to me that he looked at the games on there already and felt soiled at the idea of joining in! :)

• RobF says:

I believe they’re nuking the traditional submissions route for all but the big publishers so unless you’re with one of them, have a game already on Steam (although i’ve heard from reliable sources that this isn’t a given either) or they just plain take a fancy to you, Greenlight is the only route through.

I’m still not entirely sure why but I ended up putting my latest up. Probably because it was there.

31. trjp says:

Spelunky is on there now – as is Nitronic Rush, so I’m guessing ‘free’ games accepted!?

Towns just appeared too – tho as the list sorting is random it’s REALLY hard to keep up (over 200 games now).

There’s a lot of XBLA stuff there and I have to say I wonder if some of it is really ready for Steam? Am I being snobbish or is it OK to expect a slightly higher level of quality on Steam than I expect on XBLA – or Desura – or Kongregate :) ???

Example: Steam Heroes (ironic!) is a lovely idea wrapped up in graphical overload guaranteed to cause migraines. It might have been acceptable on XBLA (which many games look like your GPU is overheating – and it just MIGHT be!!) but here??

• trjp says:

Update: Nitronic Rush was posted by someone who finds reading a bit compllicated so I’d ignore it.

In fact a LOT of games appear to be being posted by people who don’t own them – and Valve thought it would make their lives easier eh?

Some sort of verification process might have been wise…

• trjp says:

I’m really talking to myself now – but with Super Crate Box appearing on Steam this week, I guess ‘free’ indie (as opposed to F2P games) on Steam are ‘go’ anyway now?

32. trjp says:

Hey, I found something I’ve never heard of before and I like the look of

So that’s a win then.

33. TechnicalBen says:

And Kinetic void!

34. ResonanceCascade says:

Yes, yes, Steam Greenlight. Now where’s the 10ft UI they announced a year ago?

I’ve been saving the rest of Arkham City for my living room.

35. RobF says:

Thrown up a collection of some of the more interesting stuff I’ve found (also a gratuitous entry for myself in there but hey ho ;)). There’s some corking stuff up already and some -interesting- if not exactly incredible stuff too.

36. baby snot says:

…Wouldn’t it make just as much sense to see EA and Activision’s games going head to head in the voting system if that’s the logic behind it? (That’s not the logic behind it, is it?)

I think just about everyone is missing the point here. Valve is a relatively small (in terms of personnel), privately owned company. They operate the most successful PC digital storefront for video games. They would not have the resources to remain commercially viable if every game was released without any vetting.

Valve is legally responsible for everything that gets sold through Steam. We can all gripe about the quality of the service (Steam support tickets anyone?) but at the end of the day if a product doesn’t work, if it’s shit, if you bought it and didn’t realise it was censored in your part of the world, or for any other number of reasons, it will usually be a Valve employee who is the first port of call. Not the game developer or publisher.

EA, Activision or any other large publisher/developer will get away with not having to go through public vetting because of the assumed commercial assurance that comes with being billion dollar industry behemoths (regardless of what we think of their games, services, motives etc). And I would expect there to be an entirely different set of commercial arrangements between Valve and these companies.

I have a feeling this relates to why a couple of big games that came bundled with separate publisher storefronts (even if ostensibly for DLC) were removed from Steam. The burden of commercial/legal support would still fall at the foot of the original storefront (Valve) without having accrued any further financial incentive/support to provide the resources (personnel/labour) from the sale of products through a second/third parties DD store.

37. firewatersun says:

Hey dudes, our game is up on Greenlight – we were also part of the closed beta beforehand, so if you guys have any questions, we’ll try to answer them!

Proof: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile…s/?id=92652185

The experience so far has been encouraging – this may well be due to the relatively small amount of games on there (which is exploding)

There does seem to be alot of confusion about what Greenlight is, people in the discussions are talking about getting Mass Effect, Halo on Steam etc. There is also definitely alot of games blatantly not created by the poster and stuff like that. I do not envy Valve their task with this, but so far, they seem to be doing a great job. At the very least, there are now way more people who have heard of our game who might never otherwise have, so I love this thing!

there also seems to be some confusion with the up/down votes – we have no idea how the rating system works, unfortunately. The issue being that only once you rate a game does it get moved to your “rated” folder, so people wishing to be indifferent about a game cannot. I don’t know if this is necessarily a bad thing, but it’s one of the issues.

38. Jerakal says:

At first I thought this was brilliant, and then I realized just how many votes would be necessary to actually get a game approved in this method. And then as I read the comments in the games I was upvoting, I realized the kinds of people who would be voting alongside me and downvoting any game that doesn’t contain guns, jets, or tits.

Then I was sad.

• Sisco says:

Right now it´s a ginormous clusterfuck. Lots of stupid russian trolls making up games, people on their personal hate crusade against this or that ( I saw “MW3 Source” because apparently VAC is better than Punkbuster, lol) and comment threads full of everything loathable on the internet.
      I´m very curious to see how this works out once Valve got a handle on things though

39. sharklaser says:

there is no puzzle genre :/

40. Lars Westergren says:

Looks like they turned it off again. Too much abuse.