Rebound: Binding Of Isaac Being Completely Remade

By Nathan Grayson on August 30th, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

You would cry too if this happened to you.

No, no, it’s not what it sounds like. Edmund McMillen hasn’t suddenly decided to beat the record for fastest “HD” remake treatment ever. This remake, to hear McMillen tell it, is very, very necessary. In short, have you ever noticed how Binding of Isaac occasionally chugs even on machines powered by blazing tech and unholy sacrifices to Shan’thulex, bloodlord of the night (and a small chain of mom ‘n’ pop PC hardware stores)? Well, that’s because it runs on Flash, and McMillen thinks it’s high-time that changed. That, however, is only the beginning of this remake.

“The whole game will be remade and rebalanced,” McMillen wrote on Formspring. “The remake will be more than just an expansion, it will be a new game with all new graphics, music, etc. It will also feature an expansion sized pack of all new content, bosses, characters enemies, items, etc. And yes, in about a year, if/when it comes out, the Flash version of the game will appear obsolete for sure… The goal is to also keep the cost of the remake as close to Isaac+wrath as possible as well.”

He added, however, that he’s hoping to discount the remake for previous owners of Binding of Isaac and Wrath of the Lamb on PC, but – given that he’s working with a (still unnamed) publisher this time around – it’s not entirely his call. Further, it sounds like McMillen’s only doing some of the developmental heavy lifting on this version of his ode to all things roguelikes, Legend of Zelda, and, er, poop. “I will handle all aspects of design, character, items, story levels bosses, but another team will be doing art/animation for these new things,” he explained.

Among other things, there’s also talk of co-op – though currently in an offline-only state for the remake’s console version. Even so, as someone who still has trouble wrenching my mouse away from Binding of Isaac’s oh-so-sexy gore-and-excrement-coated play button, this sounds like quite the treat. Granted, between Super Meat Boy’s iOS release and this, that’s two remake projects now occupying McMillen’s time. But then, he’s also apparently considering spinning a Ludum Dare project off into a more robust product, so hopefully we’ll see something new from his bald-cat-powered mad science factory before too much longer.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Kaira- says:

Brilliant, I can’t wait to play the game without suffering the slowdowns when there’s even a bit more action on the screen.

FhnuZoag says:

Oh no, without the slowdowns, how the hell am I going to dodge those bullets?!

• Teovald says:

yeah, Flash allows me to play this game in a slightly easier difficulty setting.

In others news, Super Meat Boy on iOS ? Wow I think it is truly a terrible idea. This kind of game needs perfect controls & platformer + touchscreen as input, that just does not work well.
      edit : I just did my homework. Apparently Android is also targeted, which is pretty good… only releasing on iOS is incredibly stupid.
      Also it is not a port but a new game so we can hope for controls that are not totally bonkers.

3. LMN8R says:

I am OK with any additional opportunity to give Edmund McMillen my money. Especially if it means more Binding of Isaac :-D

4. Hoaxfish says:

He’s seriously suggesting people pay twice for the same game? And not even calling it a sequel!

VVVVVV spoilt me.

• ANeM says:

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! did the same thing, For the Awesome is just Reckless Disregard for Gravity, ported to Unity and with some extra levels.. Yet they cost the exact same amount.

• El_Emmental says:

“It will also feature an expansion sized pack of all new content, bosses, characters enemies, items, etc.”

just sayin’

Jackablade says:

It’s also a 5 dollar game which I’m getting to around the 150 hour mark on. Complaining about price may be a little churlish.

• Derppy says:

It’s one of the best indie games out there and costs next to nothing.

I’d pay 20 bucks for the remake/expansion and still consider it getting a great value for my money, buy I’m sure Edmund will be awesome with the pricing and I’ll end up paying like 5 bucks instead.

The only thing I’d want is an improvement to the way you spend currency.

Binding of Isaac runs are pretty quick and the pace is pretty fast, but it gets broken when you run into an arcade with lots of coins. To play optimally, it can take like 15 minutes to just poke the machines, getting more health to spend on blood donation and more coins to spend on slot machines. It’s extremely boring and mostly I just wish the machines would blow up soon, so I don’t “have to” do it.

• Baboonanza says:

I couldn’t agree more. The slot machines really ruin the pace of the game. It’s especially annoying when you spend ages milking them only to get killed almost immediately afterwards.

PoulWrist says:

But it’s not the same game, it says so in the article.

5. KDR_11k says:

Only worry might be that a publisher may decide to restrict the game’s content to increase the mass appeal or allow it on a console or something.

Even paying twice comes out to less money spent than BoI is worth.

BubuIIC says:

I don’t think Edmund McMillen would have agreed to it being ‘censored’. He said that Isaac was a very personal project for him… and it’s not that he needs the money either.

• Phasma Felis says:

Censored BoI would just be a solid black screen with nothing visible. I don’t think you have much to worry about.

6. finegrind says:

I have more hours logged playing binding of Isaac than any recent AAA title. An apples to oranges comparison for sure , but somewhat telling of it’s greatness.

The “HD” remake is very welcome, considering the issues the flash version has. More specifically, performance issues when many sprites are on screen and the hobbled graphics settings that make playing full screen less than ideal.

Also using a controller is doable and often a better way to play as it’ plays like a twin stick shooter. So hopefully we’ll see analog movement with the sticks added and some way of better using charged items like brimstone with the firing stick.

7. caddyB says:

I love this game, even though I’ve beat it twice or something.

• Prokroustis says:

I don’t think “beating it” twice is quite the same as with most games. I’ve “beaten” it some 20 times and there’s still much left to do..

• caddyB says:

I know,that’s what I’ve been trying to say. Didn’t unlock much of anything so there’s so much to do. I’m just not very good at it.

8. Mr. Mister says:

That’s NOT just “because it runs on Flash”. Intrusion 2 runs on Flash too and it’s as smooth as [/metaphore].

It’s sluggy as hell because it’s based almost entirely on vectorial graphics.

• Jake Albano says:

Ummm no.

Flash started off as a vector graphics platform, with limited bitmap support. Even today using vector animation is much faster and less memory-intensive than bitmap graphics. I don’t know where you got your information from.

• Salt says:

Although historically Flash has been vector based, its actual rendering performance is better when using bitmaps. Greater still using textured quads through the Stage3D API. (The performance picture gets a little more complex if you’re using AIR to run on mobile devices.)

There are almost certainly two main causes for Binding of Isaac’s poor performance:

Directly rendering large amounts of vector graphics is pretty slow. The game could “pre-draw” all the vector assets to a generated spritesheet and just blit those during play. The game uses quite a lot of transform effects, so it would be wise to dynamically generate that spritesheet depending on what is going to be encountered in a level (otherwise you’d need a spritesheet with dozens of variations of the fly sprite at slightly different sizes and tints).

Creating new objects, especially display objects which are added to the scene graph is fairly intensive. This accounts for the brief stuttering experienced when several bombs go off at once, or another “spawn lots of entities” event happens. The performance hit associated with creating new objects is due to the garbage collector nature of Flash’s memory management, which is kept mostly out of the control of the programmer. The need to create new objects during play can be reduced by using some simple pooling – rather than discarding the “smoke cloud” entity after a bomb has gone off, you keep it in memory ready for the next explosion. The need to be adding/removing objects from the scene graph can be avoided as part of the conversion from vector to bitmap based rendering outlined above, as you only need a single bitmap display object on the scene graph.

It’s quite possible to make a Flash game with good performance. It’s just that it’s very easy to make one with bad performance.

blind_boy_grunt says:

you seem to know flash quite a bit, so i think this will blow your mind.
          ready?
          here goes:
          it’s made with actionscript2 is what it is

• Salt says:

Oh my.
            You’re quite right, my mind is now blown.

• The First Door says:

Please, please, please tell me that isn’t true. AS2 runs like an utter dog! You know… a slightly elderly dog which has seen better days.

If that is the case he could get huge speed up just from porting it to AS3!

• dalejwilliams says:

Nope. Binding of Isaac is Actionscript, not Actionscript 2.

Actionscript 2 is a variant of ECMAScript 3rd Edition (like Javascript) and is often incorrectly used to describe anything before Actionscript 3 (draft of ECMAScript 4th Edition).

AS2 has strict type-checking at compilation and appears strongly-typed and class-based in nature, even though it generates the same bytecode.

Binding of Isaac has untyped Actionscript (first edition) applied directly to frames and movieclips. It’s a mess of horrible, spidering, non-inheriting code. My apologies to Florian Himsl.

Source: Sothink SWF Decompiler :)

• bakaohki says:

Oh god. Anyone still programming in as2 is better off going back to his qbasic years :(

blind_boy_grunt says:

i heard it from refenes/mcmillen in an interview. He probably used the term as you described, anything before as3.

• pepper says:

Oh dear, the horrors of the AS3 garbage collector. Never again! It just never seems to work quite right.

• Mctittles says:

Vectors are MUCH slower, as are movieclips.
        Bitmapdata, using lock/unlock with Timer class is how to make games in flash. No “onenterframe” timers, No “movieclip.x=” animation.

If you draw your graphics in flash convert the movieclips to bitmap objects at runtime and bitmapdata.copy() them in your game loop. Keep your item position math separate and clean, then just use a very small plotting loop to draw them onto the bitmapdata scene. You can get thousands of sprites working no problem with this method.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Heh vectorial graphics.

Actually it’s bitmipulations of pixomobobs.

• Mr. Mister says:

Congratulations, this comment is the only result for a Google search of any of those terms. That’s not something you do everyday.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

That’s strange, they’re veriticiferous words, down our way.

• The Random One says:

Gentlemen, please! RPS is a fine website. Please use more cromulent words.

• pepper says:

I offer you gentleman my contrafibularities

• Aatch says:

The option of buying pix—-bobs as a guaranteed high-hit domain is fighting my want to keep the current search results being only this page.

I’m not sure what to do…

Bought it, it will redirect to this comment until I do something with it.

EDIT: bitmipulations is open. I’m not greedy.

9. MrTambourineMan says:

Bought, as easy as that. BOI is one of the best games I’ve played in years, incredible replay value, I’d buy it at full price since I’ve sunk more hours into it than in 80% of AAA titles.

• djbriandamage says:

Ditto. I bought the game, then I bought it for friends, and then I bought the expansion. It’s a great game I paid peanuts for and would unquestionably pay more for an even better version.

• JustAPigeon says:

Same. Bought it for less than the price of a pint of beer, provided more hours of fun than most full-price games I’ve got. Very pleased with this news.

10. scorcher24 says:

This is selling a much needed patch for money.
    I am disgusted by Edmund McMillen.
    He can sell the new content as DLC, I don’t care. But if I don’t get the (much needed) base remake of the game for free, I am not gonna buy any new game from him. Because on my PC this flash game runs like shit and I never completed it due to the slowdowns.
    I know, I am gonna get flamed because the game is soooo goooooooood, but this is more than shady business.

• lordcooper says:

Remaking an entire game from scratch is hardly a patch. I’m honestly not a fan of the game, but the temptation to flame you is still pretty damn high. Ignorance has that effect on many people.

• scorcher24 says:

It is called doing it right. There are many people out there that suffer from the slowdowns. My PC can run Guild Wars 2 well with a lot of people around but I can hardly play BoI.

• povu says:

I have slowdowns, but it’s playable. I don’t feel left out by not getting this for free.

It’s not like the game was expensive to begin with.

• Jahkaivah says:

“And btw they did the same with Super Meat Boy. Go figure. First Released it with Flash, then remade it in C++.”

…wait are you seriously talking should about the original Meat Boy? Are you seriously suggesting that free flash games shouldn’t get non-flash sequels when they prove popular enough?

• malkav11 says:

Yeah, recoding an entire game -and- expansion from scratch with all new assets, and then adding roughly another expansion’s worth of content is simply not patch territory. If he wanted to cut previous owners in on that for free, I would applaud him. But I’m certainly not going to bitch about being charged for it, especially not if it winds up being close to the $8 complete BoI currently costs, and especially especially not if the discount he mentions for current owners does in fact happen.

• Bonedwarf says:

Arcen did it for free with AI War. Rewrote the whole thing in Unity. And released it for free. Arcen is a company that almost went under financially, and as has been stated, Edmund doesn’t NEED the money…

I grow weary of seeing unpopular but valid opinions shouted down on here. There are certain deities who you don’t dare criticize because the zealots will crowd around you and beat you for being different.

It’s getting old.

• Brun says:

This.

I personally have zero interest in BOI as I don’t particularly like Indie games in general. Therefore, as a detached observer, I can say that this does indeed seem a bit shady.

Imagine the hate and flames that would happen if EA or Activision did this with one of their AAA titles. If EA and DICE said “Sorry guys, BF3 isn’t running as well as we’d like it to, so we’ve recoded it and are rereleasing it as an ‘HD’ remake for $59.99!” it would immediately be decried as a shameless money-grab and a shining example of publisher greed in a 200 comment thread on RPS. An indie does it and all we get are comments about how awesome the game is.

It’s pretty clear (and has been for a while) that Indies – hell, pretty much anyone not named EA, Ubisoft, or Activision/Blizzard – get a free pass to do pretty much whatever the hell they want in the eyes of the RPS community, regardless of who they’re screwing in the process. They can do no wrong.

• Jahkaivah says:

Only BOI is a small fraction of the price of a AAA game, and has hours of playability that most AAA games only manage a fraction of.

• Barnaby says:

“I personally have zero interest in BOI as I don’t particularly like Indie games in general.”

You are a terrible person and I hate you. How can you even comment about this decision as you obviously have no interest in the game. Also, if you haven’t even played the game how can you even speak on the point of it being a good/bad decision?

If you don’t understand the reason why indies deserve more slack than a AAA studio… Let’s just stick with you are a terrible person and I hate you.

• Parthon says:

Technically isn’t BF3 just an upgrade on BF2 with HD graphics and a few more guns and stuff?

And it’s not like EA need the money. They should give BF3 away for free!

• 12345678987654321 says:

1. He’s not selling it for $59.99 as EA would.

2. It’s not an “HD remake” It is a much needed remake from scratch that includes co-op, new items, new art style, new music, and a faster system for better gameplay. It will be surely $10 or less and worth the price of orginal BoI and the remake combined.

• finegrind says:

Well, saying “I am disgusted by Edmund McMillen.” is inflammatory, which is likely what is getting people riled up. Shouting someone down because their opinion is unpopular is only looking at half the story.

phlebas says:

Saying “I am disgusted by Edmund McMillen” is almost redundant, shurely? He seems to aim quite hard for that response to his games, anyway.

• twig_reads says:

Scorcher did start it by saying “I know, I am gonna get flamed because the game is soooo goooooooood”. Being open to others goes two-ways, telling your point and then saying that everyone who disagrees with me are stuuuupid, well, that’s the very point you now were againt too, now weren’t you? And why is me having my oppinion equal to being a zealot? If you really have to know I’m not that huge of a Team Meat fan, but I love Binding of Isaac because of the genre – roguelikes.

Also, this remake is not made by the same team/person per se (unlike Arcen), it’s outsourced with McMillen having the creative control. You honestly expect people who haven’t previously worked on it and for whom this remake basically making a new game should be unpaid? Oh, but sorry, I’m just a stupid zealot, expressing my oppinion, unlike Scorcher, the one who expresses his oppinion.

• malkav11 says:

You seem to have gotten things backwards. You are taking a company that’s gone far and away above and beyond the reasonable expectations of product support and casting them as the minimum bar any other developer must clear. That is in no way reasonable.

• Parthon says:

You grow weary of seeing unpopular opinions get shouted down ……

Doctor, my brain!

ps. For the viewers that require the explanation, unpopular opinions get shouted down because they are unpopular! That’s what unpopular means. It might be ‘valid’, but it doesn’t mean it’s correct, accurate or even welcome at all.

FhnuZoag says:

I agree. Still though, I think McMillen would avoid this sort of backlash better if he simply called it BoI 2.

• twig_reads says:

Because redoing a game from sratch has no developing costs at all, especially as this now has a bigger team behind it (a bigger team, that enables to create a lot of new content too, or didn’t you read that part?). I’m amazed how you’re able to call doing a a new game a ‘patch’. But ofcourse, I must be a “blind fan”, there’s no other way I could defend the move. And just you know, because of the flash my Binding of Isaac is constantly in slow-mo and crash-prone (crashes, that delete all made progress I had in the run). Not everyone has a brandnew gaming PC, so I only welcome this new version.

• Bonedwarf says:

Arcen did it with AI War. Rewrote the entire thing, arguably a much more complex game, in Unity, and did it for free.

• scorcher24 says:

Thanks for the good example.

• lordcooper says:

So? Warren Buffet has given an estimated $30.7 billion to charitable causes. Are we all expected to do the same?

• Ruffian says:

didn’t someone just say that almost put them under, though?

Malibu Stacey says:

If they did, they’re wrong. Tidalis not selling as well as they expected it to caused them financial difficulties but AI War has always been a steady revenue stream for them as they’ve stated multiple times (AI War revenue has been the reason why they’ve been able to continue making more games like A Valley Without Wind). Although they had the Unity 3D licence in place for Tidalis which allowed them to remake AI War in Unity so swings and roundabouts I guess.

• SexualHarassmentPanda says:

The thing is the game was made originally in very short span of time(5 weeks IIRC). Hell, it didn’t even come with a save feature(no excuses). A re-write for free is more than reasonable considering how quickly/cheaply it was made and the number of units sold.

BubuIIC says:

Err, what? More than reasonable? It was made quick and cheap because for Edmund McMillen this was just a ‘fuck you all’ project that he thought nobody would buy anyway. Then it got incredibly popular despite it’s technical flaws. Why should he now somehow be obligated to rework the entire game… just because a lot of people bought it? If it does not work on systems as advertised it has to be fixed or you can probably get a refund (anyone knows what’s the actual policy here, regarding steam?). But it doesn’t change a thing whether 20 or 200.000 people bought the game.

And don’t forget he’s selling it for $5… it’s not that this is some kind of huge investment that would imply some sort of AAA professional game production.

BubuIIC says:

Mmh, thinking further about this: I think you should regard the game as what it was, a very low budget, experimental (but complete) game. It was not some kind of beta funding a game in development and expecting to get constant updates for the next years. Some games work that way but not all, projects get completed, developers move on. TBoI was a finished product as it launched, got it’s bug-fixes, even got an expansion and now they can’t do much else because the platform and their code is broken…

It’s a bit sad that they have to stop supporting it because of technical limitations, but well, that’s the way it is.

I think I’ll stop writing about this now… ^^

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

The lack of a save feature IS a feature doh.

• MondSemmel says:

I don’t get this attitude. You are free not to buy any more games from the dev, and you are free to demand to (and deserve to) get your money back if the game doesn’t run well/at all. That’s not entitlement, that’s your rights as a consumer. But anything above that _does_ seem like entitlement. You are “disgusted” by the dev? Really? “Shady business”? Really? So making a game in Flash (which he knows best – he’s not a programmer, after all), and then later fixing this when it turned out to be a mistake, invalidates him as a human being?
      And recreating the entire game in a programming language more suited for it, plus adding extra content, doesn’t warrant selling said remake/recreation for money?
      Mind-boggling.

• scorcher24 says:

I would have less an issue if the game would run well and would be bug free.
        But in fact it is riddled by bugs and he said he can’t touch the code anymore because it breaks something else.

Now they go and remake it to get it bug free and run well. And they ask money for it.
        So yes, this is shady business and I am disgusted because he sells a patch for money essentially.

edit:
        If they would release the base patch for free, I would buy the new additional content in a hearts beat btw.

• Shuck says:

It’s not a patch – why are you calling it a patch? The first game was what it was; it had its problems, but personally I’m fine with that. This is a completely new game (with much greater development costs). Let’s call it sequel – would that make you feel better?

• Kaira- says:

I have to agree that this is shady. They could have done it right from the beginning (and I’m sure they knew beforehand that Flash would prove troublesome down the way), but they didn’t, and now they want us to pay for it.

• twig_reads says:

Ed McMillen is an animator, not a programmer, I think you overestimate his deeper knowledge of Flash. And he said in Formspring that after doign The Binding of Isaac he saw the limits of it are so great that he will not develop a game on it again. Or do you propose he did make it on Flash knowingly so he could make a remake afterwards to double the income? Come on!

• Kaira- says:

He had an actual programmer do the programming. One would think that he at least would understand the limitations of the platform and would inform Edmund of it. Well, guess it’s still better to learn late than never.

Lambchops says:

You would have expected that he’d have learned from Super Meatboy, which for me suffered from far worse slowdown than the occasional episode in BoI!

Although re-reading that sentence makes me wonder if maybe he did learn but perhaps not quite learn just enough!

BubuIIC says:

Super Meatboy isn’t a flash game. The engine was coded from scratch in C++ by Tommy Refenes. There shouldn’t be any slowdown on a reasonably capable PC. It certainly runs waay more fluid then TBoI.

Lambchops says:

Ah my bad, assumed because the original Meat Boy was flash so was SMB. I think the problem was the slowdown in SMB made one or two levels way too frustrating or indeed nigh on impossible whereas the odd bit of slowdown in BoI was beneficial if anything.

No problems with either on the new laptop I got since then though!

• Ruffian says:

I’m sorry, but I completely disagree with the people who are saying this is shady and here’s why.
        1) Mcmillen has said quite a few times that when he made the game originally it was because he wanted to and he didn’t think anyone would like it.
        2) It barely cost anything to begin with, half of the people with it most likely got it for under 5$. He’s got to pay the team who will remake it and it will probably look and play better. And if he Does indeed give people who already own the original a discount, it’ll most likely once again be less than 5$. 10$ for a game that all of us who do play it, probably play more or on par with other games that cost 60$ is not a bad deal at all. Why would anyone complain about supporting a creator who prices his (quality) games like that?

I mean, yeah it sucks that the original slows so bad, but we all work within the mediums we know, he had to make it with something, and it was something not so great. I’d rather have the game than not. Programming isn’t easy. Now that he is more aware of the popularity of his work though, I’m hopeful we’ll see more from him in the future on a faster medium. No one else does games in the style he does.

• psyk says:

“Now that he is more aware of the popularity of his work though, I’m hopeful we’ll see more from him in the future on a faster medium. No one else does games in the style he does.”

His work has been liked for more than 10 years and he knows this he even sold a CD which from the description was basically his old site that he had “deleted”……. DEAD BABIES FTW

• 12345678987654321 says:

Well he made this game for himself, and he’s not a programmer. He didn’t think this game would be popular. So why would he waste his time trying to learn programming out of flash just for a game that he figured no one would play? (btw his programmer was on vacation so he made boi for fun)

PoulWrist says:

Oh, a game that works just fine for people with something other than a netbook being remade is now a disgusting thing?

• Deano2099 says:

How come when you got the game, and found it to be unplayably bad, you didn’t ask for a refund? I’m sure you’d have got one. Then you could have bought this new version when it came out at no extra cost.

11. flang says:

Why does he need a publisher for this? That makes me very nervous, not just that they may insist McMillen tone down the more controversial bits, but also now worrying about potential DRM or registration or some other crap.

Surely the original game sold more than well enough to fund the remake all by itself?

• The JG Man says:

I think the publisher is mainly for help having it be released on the consoles. Sony were interested in getting it too the PS3 (and I’m sure the Vita wouldn’t harm from having access to it) whilst I can’t think of any reason Microsoft wouldn’t want it, other than some bad words said against them. Nintendo, however, have seemingly refused to have it on the 3DS, which is a bit of a shame.

• Phantoon says:

Can’t blame Nintendo.

The game is completely disgusting.

12. MondSemmel says:

Notes:
    – It’s three separate remakes/thingies: The Basement Collection is another one which should come out very soon (some link said tomorrow).
    – It’s fair to complain that you’d have to pay again despite already owning the original BoI, but remember that BoI was extraordinarily cheap: It cost 5 $ since release and another 3 $ for the expansion. Considering I got almost 100 hours out of that, and bought these games in sales, that’s amazingly cheap. (But I do realize, again, that the price in € is inflated T_T)
    – On the flash issue, this seems to be the most direct answer as to why the game cannot be changed in flash anymore: http://www.formspring.me/EdmundM/q/362162514739351835

13. MadMatty says:

“oh-so-sexy gore-and-excrement-coated play button” i will have to quote RPS on this quite a lot. without context, ofcourse.

14. Oneironaut says:

With all of the changes mentioned, it should just be called Binding of Isaac 2.

15. mehteh says:

Excited, but concerned at the same time. Hopefully this publisher doesnt ruin the game(many publishers dictate the creative process, design, and mechanics too much these days which is why i like Paradox) and i hope this team doing the heavy lifting is a competent one

Lambchops says:

I loved Binding of Isaac and put an almost stupid number of hours into it that have perhaps been surmounted only by Spelunky and Audiosurf. One of the few games out there I ever got close to 100 % completing.

Funnily enough despite looking forward new content I stopped playing the expanded content pretty sharp though. There was nothing wrong with it per se, it just made what was a nice length of game a little bloated and the addition of a whole other bunch of items only seemed to add to the chances of the game turning out somewhat imbalanced (even though some of them were pretty cool).

So, not really sure whether I’ll bother with a remake or not but I strongly recommend the original unexpanded game, it’s oh so very good.

17. Brun says:

So reading through the comments here, I’m struggling to understand why this is acceptable but paid DLC for a AAA game apparently isn’t. Someone care to enlighten me?

• MrTambourineMan says:

I’ll enlighten you. Game costs $5 + $3 for DLC with significant additions to the game. You pay twice that price for a single map in BF3.

• Parthon says:

Because Binding of Isaac is $5+$3, less that the cost of a meal, and was created by a tiny team. The remake, not patch but a full remake from the ground up, will also include new content. Most other games companies would consider a new remake as a new product, ie: a sequel.

On the other hand: AAA games cost $60, sell millions of copies, and still feel justified by releasing DLC on the disk, which you have to pay even more for. And the DLC on the disc takes storage space away from the real game. We only have a limited amount of Gigabytes. And most of the time the sequel to a $60 game is another $60 game on the same engine with no improvements, and only new content and graphics; and DLC; lots of expensive DLC.

For the price of one AAA DLC, I can buy multiple indie games that are more fun and last longer.

18. Kid_A says:

So you released a buggy game… and then released DLC which made the game buggier to the point where you can’t fix it… and now you’re going to charge us for the privilege of having you make the game properly and add some more DLC.
    Yeah, no thanks.

• twig_reads says:

So you’re getting the whole game and new content for the price of the dlc? And that would be different from just doing the DLC for the old version for the same price in what ways? I mean, what do you lose when you get from a dlc price the basic game + all the extra content? Really?

I know I’m looking like an Ed McMillen apologist now but this is getting ridiculous, there are perfectly good reasons for doing that and like with all new steps done by music/movie/games/whatever-makers: you don’t have to get the new movie, album or game and the old one you liked isn’t going to go anywhere. There, that simple, or should I go demand that the new Spelunky version should be free because the original version also was freeware?

19. smeaa mario says:

This is seriously great news. Honestly, the fun and replay value BoI offers cannot be found in many of those pretentious and expensive games out there.

20. Jahkaivah says:

“given that he’s working with a (still unnamed) publisher this time around ”

Oh what I would give to have been there when he was pitching the game to them.

Malibu Stacey says:

I suspect it pretty much went “I made this game & it sold this much and now I want to remake it in proper code instead of flash so how’s about some moneys then?”

21. daf says:

I honestly don’t get why devs still pick Flash to make games of this size, sure it’s easy and fast at the start but then it becomes extremely hard to support basic hardware like gamepads something I found a must to make BoI playable for me, you get issues with saves that are deleted by privacy apps for browsers (they delete the flash cache were flash saves end up), you get the performance issues all too common to flash games specially when you increase the window size and as a comment above mentioned it seems even the development become impossible with flash randomly causing problems with the game…

Maybe I’m being naive but wouldn’t it have been more cost effective to do it “right” from the start and saving themselves the work of starting over to make the console port and additional expansions?

• Dominic White says:

Binding of Isaac was originally just meant to be a quick-developed ‘vacation’ project between larger games. It ended up growing beyond the original plan and becoming more successful than anyone could have predicted, but the idea from the start was basically ‘Let’s make a quick flash game in a month or two’.

• The First Door says:

I think it is because you normally start a game as this silly little idea in your head and you want to prototype it quickly, which Flash is fantastic for. Then you get to a stage where you’ve invested weeks of time into it and don’t really want to change it. Although that is exactly the stage you should port, because you can reuse all your assets and logic. But, you know, people are crap at thinking ahead because they are people.

22. Metonymy says:

How much of the enthusiasm is fake?

I often wonder about this. I mean games like this and darksiders obviously have qualities. They’re not junk. A young person might enjoy them a lot.

But those of who played the original versions of these games 10 to 20 years ago: are you actually able to enjoy them for more than a few minutes? They don’t bring enough of a cleanup or revision to the original idea to capture my attention, so I get confused by the seeming scope of the interest.

• Salt says:

What is the “original version” of Binding of Isaac?
      It’s a bit like the 2d Zelda games, a bit like Smash TV and a little bit like Nethack. The fact that those games are so different from one another tells us that that Isaac is far from being a clone of any of them.

Newblade says:

Darksiders may be derivative, but Isaac isn’t.

blind_boy_grunt says:

Don’t leave us hanging. Name names. A game just like isaac but better? What is it? I need it in my life.

Lambchops says:

Anyway, there’s nothing wrong with being derivative if you offer a fresh lick of paint and a slightly different slant on things. Plus it doesn’t even need to be as good as what it was derivative from to still be enjoyable.

Different people have different points where things become a problem and these are gloriously arbitrary. For example I rather enjoy and make a point of watching Burnistoun (derivative and not quite as good as the Fast Show but with Scottish accents) but thought the Catherine Tate Show (derivative and nowhere near as good as the Fast show but with . . . err . . . Catherine Tate) was utterly tedious. I’m sure there are people who would say the exact opposite!

So yeah, feel free to not enjoy it, but to dismiss it just because it’s derivative of previous work seems somewhat foolish. Though I can certainly see where you are coming from and that everybody should play the earlier games if possible because well . . . everyone should watch The Fast Show!

• Pointless Puppies says:

I’m sure you think this is derivative simply because it looks like 2D Zelda. I assure you in that it couldn’t be further from the truth.

I also have to call into question your point about “fake enthusiasm”. Are you implying that people here are truly not interested in the game but pretend to be simply to support some kind of principle? Because I find the very idea in gaming communities, which are notorious for bitching and spewing vitriol over the tiniest imperfections in a game, preposterous. Nobody has really any real reason to feign interest. To suggest that the scope of the interest for this game is only due to many people “faking it” is pretty disingenuous.

Lorewin says:

I’m sorry the games don’t appeal to you personally.

Perhaps you’ve lost your enthusiasm for new games altogether?

Don’t make the mistake of generalising from your experience though. I’m 41. I’ve been gaming for 3 decades. I’ve sunk more than 300 hours in BoI. I love Darksiders (and have, unusually for me, played it through twice). Darksiders 2 was one of my most anticipated games (second only to Bioshock Infinite) for this year and it’s more than lived up to my hopes.

Incidentally, I also read new novels. Astonishing really, given that really many of them are just ripoffs of stories that have been told before!

HermitUK says:

Best. News. Ever. Only put about 20 hours into Isaac; loved the game, but the slowdown eventually put me off . I’d happily buy the game again if the performance is fixed.

24. Zankmam says:

This actually sounds pretty wicked.
    Great to hear, can’t wait.

25. Daryl says:

I’ll check into it. I loved Binding of Isaac and put about 50 hours into it. I did not play the DLC, and sadly I lost all my game info when I had a hard drive crash. I was almost finished with the game too.

26. ShineyBlueShoes says:

I love his games and love this one most of all but really? This is an ugly decision that really needed to be made a year ago when Super Meat Boy, which suffered from the same problem, got moved to an entirely new engine FOR FREE. Not now when we’ve bought an expansion pack.

Too bad he’s practically a hermit in internet terms and we his devoted fans aren’t able to easily have a dialog with him over this.

27. The Random One says:

This is great news, but the fact that he’s not making art for it gives me pause. His drawing style is as unique, strong and brilliant as his game design.

28. Jenks says:

Oh thank god, no flash means possible gamepad support.

Call me old fashioned, but I like twin sticks in my twin stick shooters.

• Wedge says:

Not that it took much effort to do this as is… but still, would be nice to not have to use a third party app. I do hope it is fully customizable though, as the fact you could only fire 4 directions made me eventually start using the 4 face buttons for my firing directions instead of a second analogue stick, because it was more accurate, and you could use shoulder buttons for the only other keys you needed in the game.

29. Wedge says:

Works for me. The original was so cheap and offered so much value, I don’t really see how you can complain. I mean you could’ve paid like $3 total for the game and the expansion if you got them on sales. And a whopping $8 if you didn’t. Seriously, it’s not like it was a $50 game originally.

I’ve beaten the majority of the content in the original + expansion now anyways (just haven’t gotten the items for beating with all the characters and a couple others), so I’m totally down for this.

Jackablade says:

I think if he was a little clearer on what the purpose of this port actually is, people might be slightly less inclined to whine.

As I remember it, McMillen said that he wouldn’t do any more work on the game unless he managed to sign the game up for release on the PSP (Vita now, I guess), in which case he’d necessarily rebuild the game from the ground up with a new engine and release a version on PC. That’s evidently what’s happened here, the reason why there’s now a publisher involved and the reason why the new version of the game will need to be paid for.

In the mean time, you can circumvent any slowdown issues by reducing the game’s resolution. It’s not an ideal solution, but given how simple and iconic the graphics are, it doesn’t make much of a difference to the fidelity.

31. matty_gibbon says:

I don’t really understand some of the anger here. Maybe people aren’t reading it properly, so let me put it in shouty caps:

HE IS ADDING AN EXPANSION’S WORTH OF CONTENT
    AND POSSIBLY DOING A DISCOUNT FOR BOI OWNERS

There is that better? Now it remains to be seen what he means by “expansion”. Is it a normal kind of expansion, or a Wrath of the Lamb type expansion (i.e. a whole game’s worth of content)?

If you like the game, you likely would have bought another expansion anyway, so try thinking of it this way: you are getting an expansion, that also improves the base game a helluva lot.

If you don’t like the game enough to want an expansion, I don’t know why you’re getting so hot under the collar. Yeah the game slows, but it still represents amazingly value for money in my opinion.

(edited for spelling)

32. NickAbc423 says:

Can’t wait to play this! Sounds like nothing but improvement. :D

33. Post-Internet Syndrome says:

A stupid comment was here. Ignore.

34. Pemptus says:

But… the signature McMillen art is what made this game so disgustingly special! Sadness.

Jackablade says:

I think you can be safe in assuming that that will remain the case.

• MrTambourineMan says:

In TBOI I didn’t really care about art, because gameplay was so fantastic (the only con was that collision detection seems to be a “little” off).

35. zairekaboom says:

Fix controls and remove scat porn and I just might give it another go!