An Unexpected Treatment: Dementium II Coming To PC

By Adam Smith on August 31st, 2012 at 10:00 am.

PSYCHOLOGICAL HORROR

The DS doesn’t seem like a particularly fitting home for first-person horror and that has nothing to do with the fact that Nintendo is the name on that particular domicile’s lease. Controls, screen size and unsuitability for public play all seem as though they might make a handheld an unnatural home for unnatural happenings. Dementium II’s decent combat and ‘orrible noises did draw a smattering of applause from some corners though, and the story of madness and murder is considered an improvement over the original. Welcome and surprising news of a port reaches us this morning, and perhaps the mighty PCs and Macs of the world will provide better living quarters for the institutionalised terror. Trailer below.

Short and to the point. This is a game about sneaking up on people and startling them, only to realise that their general demeanour is even more startling than an unexpected tap on the shoulder. I doubt the game will look quite as dingily dapper as the trailer, unless a great deal of work has gone into updating every single asset, and there’s no information yet as to what (if any) changes the port will bring. Apparently it’ll be released in Fall.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Jackablade says:

That fellow looks oddly cheerful given that he’s got nails banged through his hands.

2. Hatsworth says:

That’s really odd. Almost as odd as the original dev’s newest game not getting accepted to Steam. They’re going through greenlight despite a great reception on the 3DS:

3. Tridae says:

I don’t know about this one hey. . . The cinematics are deceptive and very different to actual gameplay, as in – this is their big shiny CGI trailer to their gameplay.

Not sure DS gameplay will transfer over to the pc well. I’ve seen some of this game in action. Imagine the original DS game with slightly sharper textures and higher resolution. Models look near exactly the same to the original (polycount) which scares me more than the monsters themselves. It’s a straight poly for poly port.

Maybe they pull it together last second, maybe not, I just see no passion behind this from the team involved so hold onto your wallets for now. .

4. DaftPunk says:

Its a DS port men,what do you expect,crysis graphics..I think game looks quite interesting,and on pc it will look better,even if they don’t give as settings,we can force them via our gpu.

• mashakos says:

that looks… wore than Silent Hill 1 running on a PSX emulator…
      “Action” Horror is the only genre I feel does not age well with time (try playing Code Veronica X today and prepare to laugh/cry).
      The game looks and feels like it’s for pre-teens – who else plas obscure DS games? – not very exciting. The only game I was impressed by on the DS was Ghost Trick, probably because it’s vector graphics and music reminded me a lot of the old Amiga adventure titles I was so fond of in my pre-teens (a long loooong time ago). Anyway, no ned to keep on goin about this, the game must have a following to ge ta PC port.

If like me you were not very impressed by this game, I’ve found this little gem while at the trailer page: Haunting Ground running on PCSX2:

This is delightfully campy and immature (scratches a little itch I have of playing games with horrible style) and it’s by the people who made Clock Tower on the PSX, so looking forward to some epic vibrations coming off my controller when the big baddie comes lumbering by the hiding girl.
      Plus PS2 games haven’t reached that threshold where they are unbearably ugly yet – the way low-poly DS and PSX games are now. Especially when you’re using a powerful PC to run the games at 1080p.

Is this game cheap on ebay? Don’t want to be a 30 year old PS2 game pirate… sounds too embarrassing.

5. Jenks says: