Sir Hammerlock Takes Stock: Borderlands 2

By Adam Smith on August 31st, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

His moustache is almost certainly a gun

Borderlands 2 looks as barking mad as Cujo strapped to a chainsaw-juggling Salvador Dali in zero gravity and the latest video, a seven minute introduction to the game narrated by machinated manly man Sir Hammerlock, is quite deranged. Through all the mischief and mayhem there’s a remarkably decent outline of the game’s actual features, which is actually more surprising than the gun that further weaponises itself by blowing up whenever somebody reloads it. If all game trailers could be this entertaining and informative, I’d be much more inclined to say, ‘oh, look at this’. And that’s precisely what I’m saying right now. Oh, look at this!

Borderlands 2 is due September 18th in the US and the 21st here in Blighty. I predict bazillions of fun.

, , .

1. db1331 says:

I can’t wait for this. I just wish my friends didn’t play it like fucking dickheads.

• CaLe says:

At least you have friends…

Keymonk says:

Curious; what do you mean?

• grundus says:

He probably means they play it offline or on consoles.

I’ll be playing as Zero at first, he sounds like my sort of character; sneaky and backstabbing. Hmm. That says more about me than I’d like.

Also, just a thought, they mentioned a sort of progressive infinite levelling system that was tied to the player and not the characters, so if you start a new playthrough you’re not completely starting from scratch and everything you play counts towards something… Does this mean we may see DLC characters, I wonder? I’d love to see the original four come back as a DLC released further down the line, mainly because Mordecai is my favourite and apparently the only one without a pretty direct parallel. It would make things a little awkward if the character you’re using is interacting with themselves as an NPC though. And yes, I know about the Mechromancer, but more would be welcome. I also anticipate a hat store.

• db1331 says:

They only play shooters, and have no interest or clue about any stats or RPG elements. They basically played Borderlands like a co-op CoD campaign. So a sniper rifle could drop that would be great for our sniper to have, but then the guy who is specced into melee damage grabs it and won’t give it up because it does “Crazy damage.” Or I will be looking at the stats on a weapon on the ground to see if I want it, and they will run up and pick it up right in my face. Then I have to ask them what the stats are on it, and if it is something I want, ask them to drop it for me. Naturally that devolves into if you want to get a new item, you need to run around looting everything without even looking at it first, or someone else will. It’s just a huge clusterfuck. And to top it off, a couple of the guys have the attention span of a gnat, and will just wander off on their own constantly. So they jump into your game and make the enemies 2 or 3 times tougher, and then leave you on your own to deal with them.

I know the obvious solution is just “Don’t play with them”, but it’s not as simple as that, sadly.

• Ankheg says:

Than get friends who doesn’t play like dickheads.
      I mean – there are lots of nice guys for example, here, on RPS

2. gorzan says:

It’s nice to see at least one game wich allows splitscreen coop on the PC.

• TsunamiWombat says:

Sorry to be sad man bearing sad news, but read the bottom of the screen during that segment.

On Console Only.

• gorzan says:

Hell, I guessed that “monitor” meant computers could it do it too.

• Kollega says:

Actually, splitscreen co-op on PC just *might* be possible, in the form of an unofficial hack by one of the developers.

• MrStones says:

I hope it’s similar enough to the first one to be able to lan multiple copies on one machine, although i did read that the steam version of BL1 won’t allow multiple copies to be launched (i’ve had no problems with a retail disk) and with BL2 using steamworks who knows how it’ll work. News that a hack is already on the way is reassuring though.

I’m currently playing through the first one again with a mate on my modest Pc split across the tv and my screen both running 720p. Its fairly hassle free with 2 controllers but still a bodge job and i’d much rather a in game option

• gunny1993 says:

I want devs to start using some of the silly power our pcs give us, for instance running 2 games (like borderlands) onto 2 monitors with 2 sets of controllers/keyboard and mouse combos.

• Mctittles says:

That’s actually a really great idea gunny.

3. torchedEARTH says:

Yeah baby.

4. Mr. Mister says:

Why would I stop Handsome Jack? He’s a nice fella.

RedViv says:

Space Colonial Cyborg Sir. I’ll just call this the RPS trailer then.

6. hbarsquared says:

Wait, what? Local Co-op in an online game (Consoles only, sorry all)?!? Finally, I can play a game with my wife and my friends! It’s… it’s like the developers actually care about us. I’m sorry, I have something in my eye *sob*

• jikavak says:

They even give you a ‘girlfriend mode’ type character

• frightlever says:

Left4Dead2 (dunno about the original) had split-screen co-op on the 360, probably the PS3 as well. Worked well.

7. Moni says:

I will be playing as the Gunzerker, because his tiny legs are hilarious to me.

Is it some kind of reference to how first-person shooter bodies are kind of incorrectly proportioned?

AmateurScience says:

There is something deeply strange about how the word ‘badass’ sounds in that accent.

• libdab says:

Yep. Should be “badarse” …

• Moni says:

A bad arse is what you get after a dodgy curry.

A bad ass is a renegade pack mule, it doesn’t carry crap for the man.

9. 2late2die says:

Okay, so I never could get in into the first Borderlands (and I tried three times) but I think this trailer just convinced me to give Borderlands 2 a shot after all. It is so bad ass! :D

10. Commissar Choy says:

Agreed that this was surprisingly informative. Definitely liking the way BL2 has shaped up.

11. Pani says:

Don’t they know it’s already too late. I’ve already preordered it! And I NEVAH normally preorder games.

He sounded a little Fletcher from Defense Grid.

• jiaco says:

Had the same thought for 1/2 a second, but I have been playing DG far too much lately…

12. Inigo says:

I didn’t hear a single HEYOOO during that.

• Fierce says:

Exactly!

All of these Borderland 2 videos need more Steve and Claptrap. Preferably in that order.

13. jikavak says:

Unlimited badass.

14. tags 4 lyf says:

This article begs the question: how does one juggle in zero gravity?

15. McDan says:

“Only you can stop him, because you are a badass you see.” Straightforward and to the point explanation of my motives for killing handsome jack, I like it.

16. Shooop says:

Explosions!

This game is ridiculous in all the right ways.

17. rb2610 says:

What an excellent alt-text on the first image :D

Foosnark says:

I thought the trailer dragged on a little too long and explained a little too much. A 72% increase to some arbitrary number isn’t a lot more exciting than a 40% increase, except when you actually get it and notice a difference in firepower. Explosions and acid and fire and robots and swords? Sure.

“Badass” could have been said about 80% fewer times and had more weight. “Because you are a badass you see” was a great line, the rest not so much.

Despite my sourpuss reaction this is a day one… who am I kidding, I preordered it when they first announced it.

Thermal Ions says:

I’d imagine their aiming this video at the first two of the below groups:
      1. Never played Borderlands 1, not been following development of #2 so know very little about the game and would probably ask the question “Should I just buy BL1 and save a few bucks” if they did come across it.
      2. Played Borderlands 1, found it ok but wasn’t really their thing (maybe typically don’t play games with RPG elements). Not interested in paying for another game that they think is likely more of the same with very little new added. (See DarkNoghri’s comment a couple down).
      3. The remaining sensible people who pre-ordered months ago.

LTK says:

This is the most entertaining video tutorial I’ve ever seen, but I’d rather have watched something that’s less like a video tutorial.

20. DarkNoghri says:

I was not a huge fan of the first game, due to it being a bit boring and grindy. The sequel is looking like they’re trying to fix a lot of the things that were broken, and I’m now thinking about getting it at release.

Also, peer pressure.

Anyway, the fact that they actually have reasonable options on the PC version is heartening, as the first game was a shoddy port.

21. boy_vip_23790 says:

ha ha!!picture very nice
    people can see picture 4 http://www.hitechx.com/2012/09/18/borderlands-2-review/
    picture same