Dare To Be Deadpool: Marvel Heroes

By Adam Smith on September 3rd, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

According to Daredevil if there are four hundred and fifty seven bajillion heroes, there are four hundred and fifty seven katchamatrillion villains

Given that Marvel Heroes is going to have something like four hundred and fifty seven bajillion comic book characters, I certainly won’t be posting a video for each and every one if that’s how Gazillion Entertainment choose to market the game. Maybe I’ve got the number wrong anyhow. Maybe it’s four hundred and fifty seven gazillion. Seeing as the Daredevil trailer shown at PAX has more footage of the actual game than I’ve seen before along with a gravelly voiceover, I reckon this one is worth watching for anyone interested in the free to play multiplayer ARPG.

An X-man! A Fantastic One! A Deadpool! An unhinged revengenancer (really NSFW or little ‘uns)! Unless I missed it, there’s no actual sighting of Squirrel Girl yet, who is bidding to be the least obscure obscure character in comics by being so prominently mentioned whenever Marvel Heroes is. Even I’m doing it now.

On to more important matters though – how about Daredevil’s shoulder dance as he waits on the rooftop? That’s quite the thing.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. int says:

But you can’t make your own character, I gather?

• Lemming says:

No that’s not what it’s about. You’ll be able to fiddle with talent trees but you pick Daredevil, you stay Daredevil.

• Arglebargle says:

In Game: “Wow, you’re Daredevil-245?? That’s so cool, you must’ve gotten in real early.” remarked Daredevil-11634.

2. squirrelrampage says:

Menu of the Day in the RPS canteen:
    Clunky MMO with stiff animations!
    Comes in two flavors (Marvel and D&D) and with an unhealthily big sidedish of F2P.

3. JohnP says:

It’s no City of Heroes :-(

4. FlowState says:

Their jump cuts weren’t jumpy enough, those animations are truly dreadpool.
    The Thing is, I can’t see too many people up in arms to play this. But then again, what do Rhino?

• Cyberpope says:

I think it looks pretty fantastic four what it is.

• S Jay says:

Do they expect this to succeed? That is a Longshot.

• Ancient Algae says:

Ugh, this’ll end up being a Baron Zemo if you– crap, that doesn’t work.

5. Didero says:

Am I the only one getting a bit tired of games where attacks don’t seem to do anything? Dudes are getting shot at in this trailer, and they don’t even flinch. Until their HP runs out, of course, then they suddenly drop dead. And this isn’t the only game to do this by far.
    It makes fighting look stupid and empty, like you’re fighting an HP bar instead of an (N)PC.

• Jupiah says:

Even more ridiculous than Daredevil tanking bullets like they are only mildly annoying; the Thing pounding on a normal human street thug and taking 4 punches to put him down.

Also, everyone but Spiderman standing exactly in one spot, politely trading punches/kicks/claws/bullets until one of them falls down. This has got to be the most boring, undynamic combat I’ve ever seen outside of a turn-based RPG.

• Ancient Algae says:

Where have we seen this before? Oh, that’s right: IN ALMOST ALL MMORPGs.

(I do sympathize with your annoyance with the bland combat in this games though)

6. jikavak says:

Wait,if it has a ton of different heroes all based on marvel,then most items would be class restricted,no?How do they manage loot then,with all the heroes?

• aepervius says:

Just guessing but there are probably classes of items/ herore , imangine item class “druid” “fighter” “cleric” “magician” but to a heroe class.

7. OJSlaughter says:

If it doesn’t have Captain Britain then I shall be pissed

8. Calabi says:

That looked hilariously unepic.

9. Freud says:

ARPG with slow and clunky looking combat. Hopefully it plays better than it looks.

10. kurtensen says:

I marvel at the the heroes brave enough to play this thing

11. CrookedLittleVein says:

Marvel have released an MMO? Should have seen it coming really.
    Obviously I’ll give it a go, but I’m not really expecting anything amazing or spectacular.
    DC Universe held my attention somewhat, but it was never quite the mighty beast that COH is/was.
    Only reason I’m really looking forward to this is for a brief few hours fun hanging around Marvel heroes.
    Kirby’s obscure stuff had better be in there. Also, that Daredevil dance was . . . uncanny.

• Torgen says:

Actually, Champions Online started as Marvel Superheroes Online, but Marvel looked at the quality of Cryptic’s work and pulled the plug. That’s when Cryptic bought the Champions license and wedded it to the half-finished game.

• Urthman says:

I have to say I’m loving DCUO mostly because they nailed the movement so well. Flying around the city is almost as fun as swinging around in a good Spider-Man game, and the acrobatic characters are even more fun: jumping, climbing, gliding, grappling (no swinging, unfortunately).

Super-Speed is not quite as good and more fiddly, but it’s the most amusing, because you r character goes fast in a straight line. If there’s a building in the way, you go straight up the building, over, and down the other side and keep going with no loss of speed. If there’s a car or box in the way, same thing – your character clings to almost any object in the world.

Which means that sometimes you hit a lamp post or something with a horizontal arm and your character just spins around the bar a dozen times before you can react an stop running. Annoying, but amusing. Also doing accidental hamster wheels inside a small room — you can go up the wall, back across the ceiling, down the wall that was behind you, back to where you started a couple times before you react and stop.

The combat is pretty dynamic too — for an MMO — lots of powers with knockback, melee moves where your character leaps to close the distance and connect rather than punching the air right in front of the enemy, ability for fliers to engage in melee from the air, swooping attacks, speedsters knocking enemies down in their wake, etc.

• Arglebargle says:

It was an attempt at an MMO for consoles. Unless they have changed things recently, the control scheme sucked on keyboard and mouse. The issues were even worse on those. It’s really an action game, with no staying power (for me, and apparantly a lot of others).

Plus, I could never get past Superman as an Ice Tanker….

12. mondomau says:

Oh. That looks terrible.

13. Pindie says:

I do not mean to sound insensitive but how would you go about making a Daredevil game? A fancy filter like in AvP or just forget about the whole blind thing and have normal graphics? I’d imagine making a game without graphics like the recent indie FPS horror experiment would not meet critical acclaim.

A text adventure?

• hypercrisis says:

you make it part spider-man, part tony hawks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bq_ZD465J4

• MikoSquiz says:

Webslinging around Ireland with a fridge?

• HadToLogin says:

He’s not asking what kind of game (which is obvious), but how to deal with character blindness. Because, in the end, this would have to be Batman. Question is whether a Batman with only detective vision mode (would say canon option), with both normal and detective (which would really need some good explanation why he can see normal and in other mode), or without detective at all (which would probably be worst choice for character-creation).

• hypercrisis says:

and i just linked footage of the (thankfully canned) daredevil videogame that exists.

• Bobsy says:

There was a HL2 mod that made you blind but navigate through sound.

THAT.

14. Hoaxfish says:

So, on a scale of 1 to Freedom Force, this look about Aquaman

15. DickSocrates says:

This seriously looks like a PS2 game. A PS2 game where all the characters were made in a Create-A-Wrestler mode.

16. lowprices says:

That link to Squirrel Girl’s character page made me very sad, as her stats aren’t all at maximum, which is surely missing the point of Squirrel Girl.

Also the trailer made the game look a bit shit, but for the low, low cost of No Moneys I will give it a punt.

• Ancient Algae says:

At the very least I’d like to see ‘Squirrel Barrage’ in her skill tree.

17. linorn says:

Love the ads for DC Universe Online on this page!

18. Bobsy says:

I guess playing as Squirrel Girl will cost moneys though?

SO BE IT.

19. stubarnes says:

Squirrel Girl is in the sequence with Thing, you did miss her.

Screenshots here: http://sketchcardsaloon.wordpress.com/2012/09/03/screenshots-of-squirrel-girl-in-the-marvel-heroes-mmo/

Can’t see any squirrels with her in the trailer, but she does have claws.

20. vertiboxgaming says:

Hey guys, lots of high quality leveling guides available here. Check it out!