Planet Of The Japes: Plan M

Get a few more of them together and eventually they'll play Giant Steps

We’ve already hosted a brilliant collection of Ludum Dare games but Indiegames.com have spotted another that I feel compelled to share. I know there are probably hundreds that I’d feel compelled to share if I played them all but sadly this is the first Ludum Dare for ages that I haven’t been able to dig into properly. On to Project M though, which is a fairly lengthy point and click adventure about mad science and not-dead detectives. Grab the competition version or an enhanced release with tweaks and soundtrack here.

It reminds me of Ben There, Dan That but that might just be a case of the two being comedic adventures with a lead duo and janky animations. The enhanced version comes with this update note, which makes the entire project worthwhile in and of itself – “The size of Nixon’s nose was increased in the Enhanced Edition”.

I’m willing to admit that I haven’t finished it because one puzzle has stumped me but I’m not going to say which one it is because I’d probably expose myself as a cretin of the highest order. Can’t have that. If anyone finishes the game, do let me know and I’ll pick your vastly superior brain.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. savagegump says:

Short and sweet, certainly made me chuckle a few times :)

Also I managed to finish it (which is rare for me these days) Which bit are you stuck on Adam?

Aerothorn says:

I loved subAtomic, so looking forward to this.

JamesTheNumberless says:

Double Fine is no longer the only hope, there is another.

Puts my LD entry to shame ;)

Unnatural Selection

(Oh come on, they did it first.)

Andy_Panthro says:

Pretty good so far (got 2/3 crystals), but got stuck. Can’t quite figure out what to do, but it involves the pirate monkey (?) in the playground. I assume I need his hook, but haven’t got a clue how to get him down.

• spcd says:

Click on the hood of your car, it will open. Then click somewhere on the engine. The monkey will be electrocuted and you can take his hook.

Andy_Panthro says:

Ah, thanks!

Not the most obvious of puzzles though, I didn’t even realise you could interact with the car except to leave. I’m sure I tried pixel-hunting too!

• spcd says:

I solved this puzzle by accident! I was planning to leave the scene, but then I electrocuted the monkey :)

5. spcd says:

I had more fun with this than I could imagine. Wow! excellent :D

SENOR BANANA YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME!!!

Andy_Panthro says:

Senor Banana was truly the defining character of the game.

I’m hoping for a sequel! (although it does seem unlikely).

6. MurrayL says:

Thanks for the coverage, Adam! It’s awesome, if peculiar, to see a game I made on a site I read ‘for realsies’.

I’m sure the other RPS readers can help you finish Plan M, but I’m aware that some of the puzzles can seem a little… arcane. I’m not difficult to reach if anyone really needs the ‘official tip line’ (charges may apply)!