Planet Of The Japes: Plan M

By Adam Smith on September 3rd, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

Get a few more of them together and eventually they'll play Giant Steps

We’ve already hosted a brilliant collection of Ludum Dare games but Indiegames.com have spotted another that I feel compelled to share. I know there are probably hundreds that I’d feel compelled to share if I played them all but sadly this is the first Ludum Dare for ages that I haven’t been able to dig into properly. On to Project M though, which is a fairly lengthy point and click adventure about mad science and not-dead detectives. Grab the competition version or an enhanced release with tweaks and soundtrack here.

It reminds me of Ben There, Dan That but that might just be a case of the two being comedic adventures with a lead duo and janky animations. The enhanced version comes with this update note, which makes the entire project worthwhile in and of itself – “The size of Nixon’s nose was increased in the Enhanced Edition”.

I’m willing to admit that I haven’t finished it because one puzzle has stumped me but I’m not going to say which one it is because I’d probably expose myself as a cretin of the highest order. Can’t have that. If anyone finishes the game, do let me know and I’ll pick your vastly superior brain.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , , , .

1. savagegump says:

Short and sweet, certainly made me chuckle a few times :)

Also I managed to finish it (which is rare for me these days) Which bit are you stuck on Adam?

2. Aerothorn says:

I loved subAtomic, so looking forward to this.

3. JamesTheNumberless says:

Double Fine is no longer the only hope, there is another.

Puts my LD entry to shame ;)

Unnatural Selection

(Oh come on, they did it first.)

4. Andy_Panthro says:

Pretty good so far (got 2/3 crystals), but got stuck. Can’t quite figure out what to do, but it involves the pirate monkey (?) in the playground. I assume I need his hook, but haven’t got a clue how to get him down.

• spcd says:

Click on the hood of your car, it will open. Then click somewhere on the engine. The monkey will be electrocuted and you can take his hook.

• Andy_Panthro says:

Ah, thanks!

Not the most obvious of puzzles though, I didn’t even realise you could interact with the car except to leave. I’m sure I tried pixel-hunting too!

• spcd says:

I solved this puzzle by accident! I was planning to leave the scene, but then I electrocuted the monkey :)

5. spcd says:

I had more fun with this than I could imagine. Wow! excellent :D

SENOR BANANA YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME!!!

• Andy_Panthro says:

Senor Banana was truly the defining character of the game.

I’m hoping for a sequel! (although it does seem unlikely).

6. MurrayL says:

Thanks for the coverage, Adam! It’s awesome, if peculiar, to see a game I made on a site I read ‘for realsies’.

I’m sure the other RPS readers can help you finish Plan M, but I’m aware that some of the puzzles can seem a little… arcane. I’m not difficult to reach if anyone really needs the ‘official tip line’ (charges may apply)!