The PC Is Undead: Guild Wars 2 Ascendant

By Alec Meer on September 3rd, 2012 at 1:00 pm.

Party!

Here’s the exciting news: Guild Wars 2, a PC-only videogame, is number one at UK retail this week. Eurogamer reckon it’s the first PC game to have that honour since Football Manager 2011 and StarCraft 2 both pulled it off in 2010. (Diablo III was held off by Max Payne 3, although, as has to be qualified every bloody time with these kinds of stories, digital sales were not included, therefore the entire chart is basically irrelevant anyway.)

Here’s the confusing news: apparently it sold less than Star Wars: The Old Republic did in launch week, despite being at least twelve times better than it. However, once again this does reflect retail-only sales, so means basically nothing – especially as NCSoft have been running a digital pre-purchase scheme for the game for yonks now.

So, all we can say is that Guild Wars 2 is indeed a hit – but we don’t know quite how big a hit it is.

I reckon GW2 will have the staying power that SWTOR, The Secret World etc didn’t – partially because it doesn’t require a subscription, and partially because it’s a damned sight better than pretty much any other post-WoW traditional MMO. Torrents of numbers it might be, but it’s an actual evolution of those core systems, and thus what the people have long wanted. I’m still playing it, or at least wishing I had time to play it, and I can’t think of any other MMO that’s wormed its way into my head in such a way for many years now.

So sad to see its stable-mate City of Heroes has gone the way of coherent DC plotting, though. More on that soon, however.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Flukie says:

Knew it would be big but there’s a trade off between server investment for potentially soon to be empty servers or stop sales reducing initial flow of income but showing support and stability to initial players.

Decisions decisions.

• Askeladd says:

Afaik they did good with Guild Wars. This is not their first MMO without subscription.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

I’m not sure why more MMOs don’t use cloud servers to deal with the early surge. No need to buy hardware when Amazon or Rackspace or whatever will let you rent as much as you need.

It gets expensive in the long term, of course, but for a few weeks? Probably worth it.

• Cooper says:

Placing all you proprietary software and game code and monetary transactions and the stability, accessibility and experience of your game on hardware you do not directly and immediately control and have direct, immediate physical and networked access to?

Yeah. Proper clever that would be.

• mondomau says:

You know, that would have been an interesting and illuminating counterpoint, if only you hadn’t phrased it like a sarcastic douchebag.

• Punchbowled says:

Your remark could have been a useful corrective to the manner of your interlocutor, had you not chosen to phrase it in the character of a condescending, pompous and humourless school-teacher.

• lordcooper says:

You smell funny.

• Droopy The Dog says:

Teachers say douchebag now? I feel old.

Other than that I have no particular issue with your or you predecessors, so no cutting personality judgements from me.

• Punchbowled says:

Douchebag. “Douchebag”. No, you’re right. Not a school teachery word at all. I don’t know what I was thinking. I’ll just go and stand over here.

• Ahtaps says:

Not a school teachery word unless you’re a teacher teaching feminine hygiene. It’s funny how over time people forget the original meanings of words that are more commonly used in slang.

• imavs18465 says:

Cell Phone, accessories! This is great! iPhone and Android phones accessories! They are classic, stylish and beautiful. I think you’ll love it here! All are the lowest! Also has a discount! Do not miss it! http://sqlit.be/m3Uz

• jrodman says:

Believe it or not, cloud services are actually selling reliability. It’s not like the server farms run by Amazon or whoever are magically worse than the ones you run yourself.

The only real problems with managed-server solutions are control, cost, and possibly a poor fit of application to the computing environment buildout.

Control can be a dealbreaker. I don’t want my bank using amazon servers to host my investment fund data. And neither do they, if they know what’s good for them. If they don’t, there are laws that prohobit this sort of nonsense. At least for banks.

Cost is always a concern. At large scales, you’re almost guaranteed to be able to do it cheaper yourself. However for short-term usage, it’s almost always going to be cheaper to rent.

Fittedness of problem to the compute environment is hard for me to say. I’ve never supported or troubleshot or whatever an MMO type workload.

Obviously you’d have to pay for reliable storage, and you might need a lot more IOps than most cloud buildouts can offer. But there are services that offer real IO for managed servers, they just cost more.

I think older MMOs like WOW would have a hard time, persuming storage local to a minor server cluster, and presuming that data is relatively static. But a game like Guild Wars 2 that seems to be willing to shuttle you from server to server all the time seems like it would be very possible to incorpoate temporary servers into. Of course, that might require implementing things you don’t need otherwise, like geo-local data cacheing and re-integration.

That’s probably the strongest reason against, really. If you’re not going to use temporary servers long-term, the complications of handling the code problems to make them work well may not be worth it.

• krixxor says:

I’m not sure cloud servers would be the answer here. But, renting servers would be the way to go. I worked as a Unix admin/San admin/TSM admin for 10 years. Our company primarily dealt with IBM for 90% of our server/software needs. We had a huge data center, and not one piece of hardware in it was purchased. They were all long term leased for a fraction of the price you could buy them for. The last thing I worked on were Power 5 servers. Some of them came with extra processors/ram that you could lease in the short term, then turn them back off when you didn’t want to pay for them anymore. They were also getting into blade servers, which were pretty cheap, and could have SAN storage attached, etc.

I don’t know what they are running for sure. But, they probably already had some infrastructure from GW1…maybe a SAN, a fiber optic network, and certainly an enterprise backup solution. But, there are all sorts of ways to rent servers that most folks aren’t even aware of, if they haven’t worked in a data center. We filled an entire data center for a little over a million dollars a year, which included 24hr support. But, we managed, setup, installed, and handled all the server maintenance ourselves. We only had support for OS problems and hardware failures. Given how much money GW2 has made, and will continue to make, I don’t think server costs will be much of an issue, if they’ve done things right. Let’s hope they have. The only downside to renting like this though, was that it did take some time to add new servers, if they were needed. You had to negotiate the contract, order the hardware, wait for it to be delivered and setup, then you had to install and setup your software and storage space on it. We aren’t talking about tiny little hand carried systems either…these things were huge. I’m guessing, since they have stopped digital sales, they have reached capacity, and are either waiting for the intial surge of players to die down, or are waiting for more servers to arrive. I would lean towards the latter, though. Doesn’t make much sense to limit how much money you can make. Anyway, alot of educated guesses in there…but my 2 cents worth nonetheless.

• Hypocee says:

Isn’t that what they did, really? Overflow instance servers?

• Azradesh says:

What the hell is a “cloud” server? You mean a normal server? Like any other? It’s a meaningless term.

• jrodman says:

Cloud doesn’t refer to the machinery or the architecture of the datacenter, or even the network aspect. It refers to the business model. Cloud means rented computing resources in a data center style, at scale. The requirement is basically “rented”. Unless you start introducing words like “private cloud”, in which case yeah it becomes pretty meaningless, and just says “bunch of replaceable servers”.

But anyone with a background in computing knows these things already, of course. Cloud is just the latest buzzword for things we already knew. Hardware as service, platform as service, software as service would be the real ideas, though we already knew them as things like “hosted server”, “app hosting”, and “web site”. And the best part is it’s these variety of things all muddled up into one content-light term. Talking heads love this kind of vagueness. It brings synergy to the enterprise!

2. Shivoa says:

PC only title not available on the largest (?) software distribution platform for PC (Steam) does well in legacy chart of sales that does not track modern distribution/sales platforms.

I hope this game has legs (to keep the servers up and ongoing content & fixes going between expansions) but I’m not sure how that is indicated by a tracking chart that thinks a game that has sold hundred of thousands of copies sold better than one that hit 10 million (globally). I don’t think the UK market was that keen on Max Payne 3 to skew that far from the global data which seems to call into question how these charts actually reflect total sales.

• frightlever says:

You can buy the original GW on Steam. So if you want to play it all you have to do is click the GW button and wait while Steam loads and does its stuff before GW does the same. Why would you want that?

Once you have your GW2 key you can download the client any time you want.

I’m a Steam fanboy but I just don’t see the point here.

• Khazyr says:

I think having your game on the store-front in steam probably helps with sales, but otherwise this game doesn’t need steam as with WoW.

• Malk_Content says:

I think they’ll be alright as they probably did sales projections to work out how many the needed to keep servers and content going between expansion packs. That they far outsold their best estimates in pre-orders alone indicates they’ll be fine.

• Hug_dealer says:

Blame steam for guild wars 2 not on Steam.

Steam requires all in game content to also be sold on steam. Steam is greedy and wants every cent they can get.

So in fact when designing a game with the ability to purchase products with money in the game. If you ever intend to use steam, you have to design your game around the fact that if you want it on Steam, you will have to design it in a way that steam gets to sell those products also.

Which is total bullshit. I don’t care who you are, you will never tell me how I am going to design or sell my product, unless you happen to own my business. Steam is a terrible system that is attempting a complete monopoly on PC gaming, and in the long run will be bad for us, as Steam will have say in how a game gets created. WE DO NOT WANT THAT. We want a digital platform that sells products, and perhaps provides additional benefits, but we do not need a retailer telling developers how to make games.

Seriously, can you imagine Gamestop or Best buy telling developers gtfo if we cannot sell your DLC. That what Steam is doing, and will continue to do. People are ok since its the PC saving CRAZE known as steam, but if word ever got out that bestbuy did that, then its a freaking crime!

• UncleLou says:

“Which is total bullshit. I don’t care who you are, you will never tell me how I am going to design or sell my product, unless you happen to own my business.

But aren’t you basically doing the same thing just now, telling Valve how they have to run Steam?

It’s pretty easy to see where Steam is coming from, they want to earn money (obviously), but they also want to offer a full service. I would be pretty annoyed if I bought a game on Steam and then had to buy (and download) DLC, addons or whatever through yet another account.

3. lizzardborn says:

I liked their model for GW very much – the horizontal scaling and selling of content. And I never regretted the money i gave even for the Eye of the North which I didn’t play at all ( time constraints). Compare this to wow where on every resub or expansion I felt blackmailed or extorted.

4. Reapy says:

You know, there is still something to a good wow raid. Granted I am raided and holy trinitied out, but there is still something to that gameplay that I hope won’t ever die. So I don’t know if id call gw2 an evolution more so than an attempt at something different. Of coarse that was the point of gw 1 when it came out as well.

Either way, gw2 a fun game, I might actually learn how to pvp since we all come in equally and I don’t have to think my failures depend on a gear grind.

• Obc says:

tequatel and the shatterer are great looking event, but the mechanics are nowhere near as awesome as LKHM or Raggi2.0 HM (or even many other wow bosses). though the WoW bosses arent as magnitude in size, the mechanics of the fight and the sheer skill with which you have to tackel them is far greater than these 2 zerg fest. they remind me of a overgrown hogger. i did tequatel 3 times yesterday and by the third time no one was even paying attention to the turrets and the npcs. they just zerged the boss down. (well i was trying to put the walls down and free some turrets, but you cant really do that with just 3-4 people so i just let them be). so yeah it looks amazing but it plays very simple. i hope the next zones event will be more challenging. i know this is a “casual” game but i also want to be able to fail such events. sofar, as long as enough people gather the boss goes down one way or the other.

so yeah i am gonna subscribe back to wow at some point to do all the dungeons and raids atleast on normal just to have some challange, coz GW2 as fun as it is, is not very challenging so far (i am lvl 69 now)

• Grygus says:

To be fair, WoW raids wouldn’t take any skill either if you could bring as many people as you wanted.

• Bremze says:

If you’re looking for challenge in pve, it’s dungeons not events. Exploration mode is tough as nails and you need strategy, timing and knowledge to clear even trash.

• Dominic White says:

Yeah, another GW2 fact that needs to be repeated: The dungeons are specifically there for guild/raiding type players. And they come in two flavours: Hard (story mode) and Brutal (explorable mode). The former requires a good team that understands how to play their classes. The latter requires a bunch of players with optimal gear, perfect understanding of each others roles, and a battle-plan. A lot of players have tried dungeons, gotten wiped in the very first room and given up already.

There are 8 dungeons at launch, and each of them has a regular difficulty ‘story’ mode with more cutscenes, and an ‘explorable’ mode which has three main variants and various random events. So, lots of dungeons.

5. Grim_22 says:

It’s strange – I found the actual systems of GW2 and the way it was made from a design standpoint to be brilliant, but I found the actual game to be horribly boring. At the same time, I found SWTOR to be horribly traditional and dull in design, but incredibly fun to play.

• doherz says:

Depends on what your after. The games great fun but its not the holy grail of MMOs.

I love it but I still found myself torn away by Planetside 2 on launch day even.

• ComplexConf says:

From a design standpoint on paper, yes, it does sound quite cool. But in practice it falls flat. (at least for me)

I totally agree with your comment honestly. SWTOR was way more traditional and dull and that did disappoint me but I still had way more fun with SWTOR and played it loads.

I have logged 1 hour in 4 days in GW2 and have no urge to log back in. I am not feeling it!

• Yosharian says:

GW2 can be boring, but SWTOR was a lot worse.

• dE says:

Maybe not boring but it’s that weird half-way spot where it is neither an action game nor a RPG. Combat in GW2 (to me) is dull and repetitive. It’s not as responsive as it would need to be for an action game. At the same time, since it is more actionlike than typical RPGs, it need to adhere to typical Action Game Clichés. Like telegraphed attacks.
      Ironically, despite not having as direct a control as GW2, the first Guild Wars did much better for combat. It was based on a system of action versus reaction and most importantly: on knowledge. Combat in GW2 is just uh…shiny? Yeah that’s the word, it’s shiny.

• Bremze says:

How far into the game are you and what class are you playing?

• gunny1993 says:

See i love the combat, actually having a dodge makes it so much more fun than all other mmos(that i’ve played).

• FriendlyFire says:

Telegraphed attacks are there specifically so you can dodge out of the way. If mobs just instantly unleashed super powerful attacks, you’d be toast.

They’ve already said that that’s the reason why charged attacks work this way. They always use the same particle effect so you can recognize it as a GTFO signal. From the way you’re speaking, though, it seems like you haven’t really had to dodge or use combat abilities.

Anybody who thinks the combat is boring and not very complicated needs to spec as an elementalist. Dodge or die.

• Grim_22 says:

But like dE says, that’s not a good thing in everyones eyes. I agree with him; either make an action game with underlying RPG mechanics like, say, Skyrim (I’d love this in an MMO) – or make a straight up RPG without some half-assed twitch mechanics thrown in just so that you can say that your combat is more fast paced than that of other games.

Honestly, I kept making new characters because I thought there was something wrong with me, since everyone said the game was so amazing and I wasn’t having fun at all. After two days I gave up. Still, I hope the game keeps selling good so that the great ideas that are in it can be adopted by another developer into an MMO more to my liking.

• d34thm0nk3y says:

For me GW2 shoots itself in the foot by forcing 5 slots in your skill bar to be determined by the weapon in use. Not only that but of the 5 skill slots I get to fill myself, 1 is taken by a self-healing spell and another by an elite spell. So I really just have 3 skill slots to try and differentiate myself in my class and it just doesn’t cut it for me =/

I’m liking the other aspects of the game though. The way I can progress through the game just exploring at will and questing where I want is amazing to me. I just feel really disappointed by my role in building my character. I have nothing to fiddle with :(

• Vorphalack says:

”So I really just have 3 skill slots to try and differentiate myself in my class and it just doesn’t cut it for me =/”

Each class gets 3 heals to pick from, and 7 Elite skills. Combine that with the 5 (30 point) trait lines, each with 3 sets of 5 optional perks, weapon swap (or the class equivalent), weapon / ability specific cool downs, and then your gear stats, and suddenly the class variety is enormous.

Of all the MMOs i’ve tried, only GW1 offered a bigger pool of skills, but you were still limited by build themes. Throwing any old 8 skills on your bar just didn’t work, and by the time EotN came out the skill pool was so massive it was almost impossible to keep track of every ability across all classes. In contrast to that, having the weapon skills fixed and letting you customise with support skills is a welcome alternative. It keeps the depth but looses some of the volume.

• d34thm0nk3y says:

It’s because I keep comparing it to GW 1 that I feel disappointed.

Yes there are many choices (relatively speaking) for the skill slots but, from my experience on my warrior and engineer, the skills for the most part don’t change up how you play too much. Especially as a warrior, the skills are a range stat buffs and a few knockbacks and stuns with such huge cooldowns that 90% of the time you are still just using only your weapon skills. My problem is that because of this, 90% of my time is spent using skills that I can’t change (the weapon-based ones).

• Kazang says:

This is exactly how I feel!

All the pieces are there, and they are all good, but it somehow doesn’t mesh as a whole or grab me in the way a mmo normally does.

6. DickSocrates says:

How does one have a sales chart that doesn’t take into account where most of the sales are coming from?

• Revolving Ocelot says:

It’s possibly compiled by a politician.

• Kid_A says:

Because it suits devs like Ubisoft, EA and Activision to keep digital sales out of the way so their console mega-billion blockbusters don’t start being shown up by digital retail. Therefore, there’s no significant pressure to change the system apart from one dev/platform (Valve) so nothing happens.

• iucounu says:

Digital sales figures are always hard to come by, possibly because it’d be inconvenient for retailers or publishers to have things like market share or rate of sale become known. I work in ebooks and we still don’t have industry-standard charts like we’ve had for print books for years. You don’t get app downloads figures from iTunes or Google Play; we’ve only had music download figures for a while; it’s all emerging. I suspect the reticence is about big imbalances in the market (Steam, Amazon etc.)

• Carra says:

If steam doesn’t want to tell you their sales numbers how will you make a serious graph?

7. Vorphalack says:

The great thing about GW2 is that I don’t feel bothered about putting it down for a while to go do something else, despite being a persistent game with masses of content. I think it will have staying power precisely because it doesn’t waste, or make excessive demands on, players time. Past MMOs have been so much more demanding if you wanted to get anything meaningful done, and it burns you out in the end, like eating the same meal 3 – 4 days out of 7 for years.

• paravrais says:

Totally agree. I’m finding GW2 to be the perfect game to drop in and out of at will. I don’t feel like I *need* to play for 6 hours a day but every time I do play it I have a blast without the danger of burning out. Definitely think it’ll be a game I keep coming back to over the months, maybe years to follow.

• Punchbowled says:

I feel the same. Can happily play for a couple of hours, reach a waypoint of some kind, and switch the thing off, with none of that compulsive feeling attached, none of the guilt and greed of other gaming experiences: still looking forward to firing it up again and exploring some more of the game. It’s terrific.

• Malk_Content says:

I think the no threat of looming resubbing and the fact that the first hour of game-play is more profitable than the rest has me most exciting long term by this. Right now I’m using all my gaming time on it, but by the end of the month (with Torchlight and Borderlands 2 coming for out co-op pleasure) I’ll see myself only playing it for the hour of the day when me and my buddies eating schedules aren’t synced up (I eat a 6, they eat at 7) and I’ll still me progressing nicely. Months down the line when the expansion is still half a year away I can still log on once or twice a week and not be penalized at all. Perfect

• fish99 says:

This is why I never subbed to WoW, despite trying a 10-day pass, enjoying it and then (foolishly) buying the game. I just knew I wasn’t going to play it enough for it to be worth £9 (or whatever) per month. The old MMO pricing model just doesn’t work if you want to play a game just a few hours here and there. I wish you could buy actual hours instead, like 100 hours for £10 or something. MMOs need more pricing options.

Needless to say I’m buying GW2.

• d34thm0nk3y says:

APB had that when it came out… then it went bankrupt :P

• fish99 says:

Yeah but APB also let you earn playtime through playing IIRC, which wasn’t the brightest idea :p And from what I read it was also a buggy unfinished mess.

I do think future MMOs should offer a cheaper option for players who use the servers less though. The result of all these past MMOs having monthly fees is that none of them got any money from me. I’d like to think SWTOR, TSW and TERA would be the last sub MMOs, but I fancy blizzards next MMO will still have a monthly fee and WoW will retain its for many years.

8. ColonelClaw says:

So far I am finding it to be very good, for the first time in many years the hype was justified. I’m pleasantly surprised.

In comparison, it makes me angry when I think of how much money the developers of SWTOR went through to produce such an utterly average game. If I was an EA/Bioware shareholder right now I would be very angry that such enormous resources were squandered. Their incompetence has done the entire MMO genre no favours whatsoever, I can only hope that GW2 has done something to restore the faith of those people who actually stump up the cash required to make an MMO.

• Edradour says:

Just that their shareholders dont care one bit how average it was, all they care about is how much they invested and how much it returned and im not so sure if it failed in that regard.

9. malkav11 says:

I tend to assume that most people that own GW2 right now prepurchased it, and since you only got the real prepurchase rewards for buying online (digital distributors or Amazon), most people would have gone with that option. None of which shows up on the sales charts.

10. Victuz says:

It will definitely have more staying power than the other mentioned MMO’s due to the lack of subscribtions.

I still come back to the original GW every few months or so just to hang around an play a bit. The fact that you’re not forced to milk as much as possible out of the month that you are subscribed to it allows for more relaxed play time.
    For me is usually the reason I ditch MMO’s, in case of the old republic I was so worried about that that I got two characters up to lvl 50 in the space of 2 weeks. I got so burned out that I don’t think I’ll ever touch the game again.

And hey even if you get bored of it you can lay it down for a month or two and than come back. I wish Rift followed that model, I would still be playing it if the monthly fee wasn’t so ridiculous.

11. Truth says:

Sure looks like someone changed their mind on this game ey Alec?

12. Foosnark says:

GW2 is also intentionally gating its download sales for population control. You can’t get either the standard download edition on either guildwars2.com or Amazon right now, and you can’t get the Digital Deluxe edition on guildwars2.com.

So basically, they have sold as much as they want to for the moment; first-week sales figures are kind of meaningless to them really.

13. Ninja Foodstuff says:

Where’s the best (translation: cheapest) place to buy it? Or should I wait until they’ve “restocked” them on their website?

• Malk_Content says:

I think right now, unless you have people you explicitly want to be playing with, it will be better to wait. You’ll know that the server populations are more reasonable and the overflows more stable when they allow sales again. That way you’ll be getting the best initial experience and be without all the frustrations.

• Lemming says:

If you’re in the UK, I’d say Tesco online as they are the same price as Amazon and have it in stock.

• fish99 says:

Wasn’t it something like £45 on their website? That alone is reason to get it elsewhere if I’m remembering correctly.

• Anders Wrist says:

Something around that amount. Even so, a good 90% of the guild I’m in, of around 180 players, bought the game digitally, and most of those did so through the main GW2 website. So yeah, those retail sales lists really don’t paint the whole picture. :p

14. vandinz says:

I like GW2 – It’s just taking me time to get used to it. SWTOR is superb, I absolutely love it. OK, it’s a WoW clone but it’s a WoW clone based in the Star Wars Universe! Playing both atm, loving my gaming life.

15. Hug_dealer says:

Gw2 will definately be game of the year. Every inch of the game shows just how important this game is to Arenanet’s heart. This wasnt a game about money, it was about them making the game they wanted deep down inside. Most developers never get that option, or they try but lack the funds to do it. Arenanet has proven that making a good game shouldnt be rushed, and I hope more games are not forced to release just to make a schedule.

Sure we have done it all before, but GW2 simply does it better, and more interestingly. It’s not like WoW actually invented anything either, everything WoW did, was done before it, but WoW did it better, and this is the first MMO to release and actually do everything better than the games before it. An Evolution, not revolution.

I am proud to say GW2 is finally a game that lived up to the hype. I havent been so amazed by a game in a long time. Just last night i jumped into the water and found an entire village of underwater fish people, and it was alien in design, and incredibly interested. Most games wouldnt even bother with something like this, they would say thats to much work. GW2 says I’ll do it, and blow your minds.

16. Midroc says:

What i don’t understand is how they, after this many days, still haven’t got their official forum up and running. There is alot of things i’d like addressed like dueling, being able to inspect, arenas, addons etc.

• nuronv says:

Quite frankly they don’t need them up for the moment. They know have major issues which they are trying to deal with. Once they are dealt with they can start taking request.

17. Betamax says:

It’s a fantastic game, although every now and then it does feel to me that something hard to put into words is… missing somehow. I need to play more before I can put my finger on it, although I definitely don’t think it does the personal story better than TOR (can’t speak for Secret World). There -are- some really nice touches though.

My biggest concern is one I think I saw expressed on here actually, that should the player population dry up in certain sections of the (huge) game (I’m more worried about some of the mid level areas rather than low level) then it’s focus on dynamic events will be a double edged sword.

I’ve played a fair bit in the early hours, and sometimes even in the low level zones there simply aren’t many other people around to dive into the events with, sometimes resulting in much harder events (or impossible group ones) but more meaningfully leaving a certain emptiness to the whole experience.

Right now that is certainly irrelevant, as at most times the servers are booming. But in the long term I definitely see it as an issue, because when the events work oh how they work well.

• Hug_dealer says:

they plan on adding events all over in level range. so high levels will come back to lower level areas to experience the content, and have it be a challenge because of the level scaling.

I highly doubt the player base will dry up though, considering the game has extremely little cost investment from an MMO standpoint. People go in knowing that they have to only spend a set amount for the lifetime.

18. ghoststalker194 says:

With you on the CoH bit. Really pisses me off :P

19. running fungus says:

And, after checking digital retailers last night, all of whom have stopped sales, I hit the brick and mortar retailer to find them sold out (and unaware of the digital pause). Oh well. Sleep for me tonight.

20. KilgoreTrout_XL says:

I’m really enjoying it so far, but wish my tiger-warrior chap ran a bit faster than 3mph.

p.s. No idea what 3mph means in your language. “Tosser”, probably.

Comment on this story