Food For Thought: Don’t Starve

By Adam Smith on September 4th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

This is essentially me as soon as I step outside the city limits

From Eets and Shank developers Klei Entertainment, Don’t Starve is the survival sim that Edward Gorey never quite managed to make. He was always plugging away at it, coding well into the night, but instead he sold out and made millions by selling macabre, morally-correcting pictures of dismembered children. I suppose whatever keeps the Dollars flowing was top priority for a man like Gorey, but Klei are following the path of art by releasing a demo and providing early access to the beta of their game for those who preorder. You can see why that might be a thing you’d like to do below.

Delicious. I might just hop into that beta and starve as soon as I can find the time.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. BambamCZ says:

Looks very interesting, might throw the lunch money at it to try it.

2. DestructibleEnvironments says:

Oh boy real time beard growth. This is a game for my tastes.

3. sk2k says:

Interesting game and nice artwork. Let me check the demo….

Click here to play. -> Click!
    Get Chrome.

Also, why just Google Wallet?

• sbs says:

Thing is, even with chrome I could not find access to any demo.

• frightlever says:

Demo is Chrome only. You need to follow the link to the Chrome store and install the app from there, then later if so minded use Google Wallet to unlock it. But it is a bit of hoop-jumping. Personally I found it pretty painless but I’ve been using the Internet for a while and am fabulously wealthy. Your mileage may vary.

Full app will be on Steam.

• sbs says:

Oh then I got confused. Don’t know what ‘Google wallet’ is.

• trjp says:

What’s wrong with Chrome – easily the best web browser there is…

Firefox is like some massive broken dinosaur of a thing these days – and Opera is a for hold-outs who are still living in 2004

• misterT0AST says:

Before someone else points out some awesome things of Firefox that I don’t know,
        I want to tell you just how much I HATE IT when games ask for other applications I wouldn’t normally use.
        I stopped playing Quake Live when they stopped working with Chrome and it ran only in Firefox, and I cringe every time I have to open Steam. (I do not want to argue about Steam now, I’m just pointing out a thing that really bothers me).
        Games can’t decide what browser I use, nor what other software I use. If they do they are being impolite. I feel like I’m being ordered around on my own PC.

• Sic says:

Look.

Some browsers can do what others can’t. Some browsers can even do that while actually being compliant with every standard there is.

That’s just the way it is.

If you like software that doesn’t do the job particularly good, or not at all, that’s not the fault of the people making the competing software (nor the people who make software running on that software).

Google Wallet is also the only real alternative you have online right now, barring direct money transfer (which can be a hassle, if you want to do it safe). The only reason PayPal is still around is because they have momentum (and, of course, eBay bought them).

Now, I’m not saying that alternatives isn’t a good thing, I’m just saying you are calling people out for using either the only alternative available, or the best available (having principles). That should be commended, not scoffed off as something bad.

4. Legion23 says:

Do not be so hard on Edward Gorey: He just did not want to starve.

5. torchedEARTH says:

A free demo? In this day and age? It’s a trap!

6. golem09 says:

by preordering, you don’t only pay half the price, you also get a second steam key and beta access. So basically the preorder ist only a quarter of the full price.

7. trjp says:

I really, really like this but Google Wallet charges heavily-in-debtbucks and my bank adds almost as much as a copy of the game in currency fees!

So…. – if anyone has a 2nd key, I’d happily throw you $4 in PayPal for it – which means you score a bit and the Halifax dies just a tiny bit .

There’s a Don’t Starve thread in the forums – I’ve posted in that – PM me there and I’ll send crazy money to you!

8. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Couldn’t play a game this grotesque. Would vomit, then starve.

9. Jackablade says:

Why am I “adding” a game to Chrome? What kind of madness is this?

EDIT: And now it wants access to my email. Are we sure this isn’t some kind of insidious viral wormish thing?

EDIT AGAIN: Oh, so it doesn’t even like my email and is giving an error. I’ll bet this is all some Canadian plot to seduce me with pretty graphics and then steal my internets the moment my back is turned.

• LTK says:

I got the same problem. Dev hasn’t responded to it yet. Games in Chrome is nothing new, you’ve been able to play things like Cut the Rope and Entanglement in Chrome for quite a while now. I guess Don’t Starve just wants your e-mail address so it can log your progress in case you decide to buy the game later.

• trjp says:

I’ve found it quite handy really – I spend a lot of my life staring at the Chrome startup screen so putting a couple of distraction games on there means I get even less work done.

In other news – some ‘games’ on Chrome are nothing more than web links *coughs*

10. Geen says:

Well, there goes my money.

11. Tergiver says:

Am I the only one seeing Bruce Campbell right now?