Space Skulk: Steam Marines

By Adam Smith on September 7th, 2012 at 8:00 pm.

Here’s a wee free dram of roguelike-like for those who enjoy such things of an evening. Steam Marines is a squad-based, turn-based space-based game in which four tiny doomed people wander through a starstriding vessel and get killed by robots. Even though they do die a lot they’re not weaklings, able to smash through metal walls just for the sake of it. Covering entrances and exits seems to be the best way to advance, luring enemies into crossfire. Different weapons and speeds make it important to know each squad member, and there are movement units within each turn, which along with the multiple characters is reason for the extra ‘like’ on roguelike. Trailer with glorious music below.

The alpha is for Windows and Mac, and the Steam Marines are trying to breach Steam via Greenlight. Having its name in your name won’t help, tiny marines, Steam itself is not alive and doesn’t have a vote, and even if it did it might not be so easily won over.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Jesse L says:

Squee!

2. tobecooper says:

It looks like a cute mix of Space Hulk and Incubation with some lovely music.
    I voted them on Greenlight.
    But whenever they’re ready with a full version, my body’s ready, and I have prepared a little bucket with money inside to throw at them, and/or my monitor.

3. Greggh says:

I can only say thanks for pointing this out; Steam’s Greenlight doesn’t show stuff I’m interested in so often

4. squareking says:

I demand squishy enemies!

5. Sakkura says:

“Thanks for helping this game get closer to release on Steam!”

“This game has attained 1% of necessary positive ratings so far”

Bleh… Well I did my part. Now RPS just needs to run this story 3 times a day for a month or so and we should be good to go.

6. AmateurScience says:

That looks great! Despite liking the concept of greenlight, I’ve basically given up on it until it settles down a bit, but I shall be up voting this straight away.

7. JiminyJickers says:

Yeah this one is a definite buy for me.

8. Arathian says:

For those that don’t know:
    The game was originally named space hulk: space marine, and was in warhammer 40000. But then they got a nice seize and desist by games workshop to stop using their name, so they changed the name to this.

Basically, it is the game based on the space hulk rule book for warhammer. Very interesting alternative to the normal battles.

9. mckertis says:

I must say, alpha is pretty bare-boned right now. Too much so. You have to scour the dev’s forum to even learn the controls and basic rules !!! (yes, not all controls are listed in the actual game, and not even readme is provided).

10. Ian says:

Well, that looks a little bit splendid.

Comment on this story