The Colour Of Money: Trine 2 DLC And Sale

By Adam Smith on September 7th, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

I remember a review of Zhang Yimou’s Hero which claimed that almost any frame from the film would be worthy of hanging in a gallery. Hyperbolic perhaps but it was a motion picture not afraid to include all of the the colours, frequently in astonishing arrangements. Similarly rich in palette, Trine 2 brings a beauty all its own to the fields and frozen wastes that are so well-trodden by hordes of wizards and warriors. It’s truly fantastic fantasy art and I’d happily watch a slideshow of both its spectacles and subtleties for hours. All that beauty can be yours for £2.99 this weekend on Steam, which is less than you’d spend on a postcard of a hill. The Goblin Menace DLC is also available now and at £5.09 actually costs more than the game at the moment.

New skills, enemies and environments. The latter include “the insides of a giant sand worm”. I bet its sand-guts are somehow more colourful than the entirety of every other game.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. alundra says:

I know there was a hint of sarcasm somewhere, I just can’t point where.

2. The Godzilla Hunter says:

Trine 2 has to be one of the most beautiful games ever. It just goes to show how important an art direction is.

AlexClockwork says:

So… Buying Trine 2 + DLC is more expensive than buying them together with Trine. F*ck. >.<

• Avish says:

Plus the two shadowground games if you buy the Frozenbyte collection.

I understand they out the trine games on sale to promote the DLC but the pricing scheme is just silly.

Edit: Regardless of that. If you don’t own any of the trines, you must buy the Frozenbyte collection. NOW!!!

AlexClockwork says:

I bought the Frozenbyte bundle back in the day, so what I’m missing is Trine 2 and the DLC. Want to buy it, but… I’ll probably just buy Trine 2 and wait until the DLC gets cheaper.

4. Jurple says:

I have Trine-the-original sitting in my games backlog, unplayed. Is it gorgeous as well, or do I need Trine 2.0 to get to the prettiness?

• Kollega says:

No, you don’t. Trine 1 is as pretty, and arguably even prettier because it’s colors are a little less garish.

• Iceman346 says:

Trine the first is also a very good looking game but Frozenbyte outdone themselves with Trine 2.

• fish99 says:

Trine 1 is an amazing looking game, also has very nice music.

5. dE says:

The Truth is, it’s not always about Making Money. Some people are really Going Postal about this, simply because they’re asked to pay for more content. More content for an absolute fabulous game? What vile Sourcery is this?

In my opinion, this game is a true Thief of Time, it’s up to Snuff on all standards of Platform Puzzling, you know? It’s a fantastic little game and sometimes the discussions about Equal Rites to character choices in the Coop Mode are best solved with a little Thud. On the head preferably. I get to play the Rogue, you get to be the metal Chunk with Feet of Clay. And the wizard with his cheating boxes is nowhere to be seen. I love moments like these, they’re like Music to my Soul.

Yet some folks want to act like Small Gods, they raise their pitchforks and torches in such a rage you have to be Scouting the comment sections for Trolls to know whether they’re actually serious. Well, we’re living in Interesting times I guess.

6. empyrion says:

It might be a bit too early to ask, but is the DLC worth the price? How lengthy is the new campaign? The original campaign took me about 8 hours or so, taking my sweet time to look around everywhere.

Also, it looks like Pontius the Knight has finally become Olaf from The Lost Vikings now that he can use his shield as a parachute.

Oozo says:

And it’s about damn time he grows the beard, too!

• Xocrates says:

The DLC is 5 levels + 1 Boss fight, and according to Steam it took me 4.7 hours to beat it without getting all the xp orbs (though I did take my sweet time trying to get as many as possible).

So I would say in terms of content it’s a pretty good value for the money.

7. bill says:

My main memory of Hero is that the cinema in Swindon had a big warning sign stuck to their ticket booth window saying something like “Be careful! This movie is in Japanese with subtitles!”.

• seamoss says:

Thanks for the early morning gaffaw (8AM in Colorado)!

Oh, and it’s “Zhang Yimou” – nobody says “Yimou Zhang”.

• Adam Smith says:

Nobody says it but some fools copy and paste it from IMDB when they fail to remember the director’s name. Then those same fools correct themselves and apologise.

(oops)

8. lordfrikk says:

Hero was an amazing movie and although only thing it has in common with Trine is the colours, I still urge everyone to watch it.

• Rhin says:

Aren’t they both based on the same premise that the same story told from three different points of view (the first fictitious “heroic” account, the second “devious assassin” account, and the final “peaceful warrior” account) are completely different?

(INCEPTION SOUND)

• kickme22 says:

I guess you haven’t played trine…………….trine has 3 adventurers on a quest to save the world……same story happens to all of them….and if you do coop all 3 can be ingame at once.

9. Fartango says:

When do we get a new Shadowgrounds with online coop? I’d even settle for old Shadowgrounds with online coop!