The Poetry Of Squeaky Sneakers: NBA 2K13

By Adam Smith on September 10th, 2012 at 8:00 pm.

the feared headless shooting guard, his positional awareness is incredible considering his lack of eyes and indeed the rest of the cranial region

The billow of their shorts makes it seem as if I could reach out and touch the fabric. For a long time I thought basketball games were part of my childhood, never to be visited again. I hadn’t enjoyed a bout of ball-to-basket since the days when a particularly impressive dunk would cause the backboard to shatter into a thousand glittering celebrations and scoring streaks would cause my player to wear a halo of flames. One of 2K’s recent NBA releases rekindled some of my appreciation for the courtly conflict though, mainly due to its exceptional My Player Mode. With all that said, NBA 2K13 looks spectacular as you can see below.

In a few years, Jay-Z will be the most prolific man in games development. Well, after Tom Clancy.

NBA 2K13 is out October 2nd.

, , .

1. Mr Bismarck says:

I really don’t like basketball.

I have played more than 400 games of NBA 2k11 basketball.

This apparent contradiction is entirely down to the brilliant My Player mode you mention.

• sidhellfire says:

Same story man, same story. Shame that online mode had some kind of stuttering. I spend most of last year playing in FIFA Virtual Pro Clubs. Wish NBA had working online MyPlayer mode with active community.

2. Spider Jerusalem says:

every year it comes, every year i get it, and every year i am pleased.

3. Gerbick says:

How well do these games play on a pc? That trailer has me interested.

• Ultra-Humanite says:

As long as you are using a real controller it plays well, at least 2k11 did.

• Dromph says:

You´ll definitely need a gamepad. If you use one, it´s quite the same experience as on the consoles. Might even be slighly better, because its a lot easier to implement new rosters, sliders and other fanmade stuff.

Im gonna buy it and im gonna love it. Imo NBA 2K12 is by far the best sportsgame out there and I have no doubt 2K13 will be even better.

• rockman29 says:

It plays as good as on consoles. A controller is a must. Any controller is compatible with 2K11 and 2K12 from what I remember.

I just want to know what has changed since 2K11 and 12. Looks like more of the same since 2K10 to me. Any really special things about the 2K13 version?

• Dromph says:

Theres gonna be some funky stuff regarding the dribbling. Something about using the right stick for dribble moves while it still functions as the shot stick when you hold down the trigger.
        Then some minor tweaks: animations, collisions and so on.
        Oh, and you will be able to decide whether you do a lob- ,push- or bouncepass, which is huge and has been a myjor request from the fans last year.

• Spider Jerusalem says:

with a gamepad, there’s no real difference in gameplay (offline, the online for the pc is notoriously pointless).

the very active mod scene is also a huge plus. if you want to play online all the time, don’t buy the pc version. if you don’t care about that, the pc version is superior (factoring in mods + the price point).

• ZyloMarkIII says:

To me, the PC version of NBA 2K has always been a superior product compared to the console versions. Granted, a game pad is necessary and the online mode for PCs is lacking (though I hear ragequits are notorious), but the price point of $20-$30, the mod scene, My Player (I hear it’s being renamed to My Career) Mode, and the good gameplay mechanics make it a solid buy for anyone interested.

4. zeekthegeek says:

I always found it tough to play My Player because it seems to assume a knowledge of the inherent tactics of basketball. The tutorials only really cover specific actions, and not generally what is expected of a given position – making it hard to rank highly, for me anyway.

• Alex Hopkinson says:

Yeah the My Player can be somewhat more impenetrable if you don’t understand the sport. It was worse in 2K10 and 11 where you got penalised for being in the wrong position a lot. In 12 (and hopefully 13) the game is much less harsh on you as you bumble your way around the court. A lot of it didn’t really click for me until I watched 15+ full games of actual NBA play though.

5. Alex Hopkinson says:

I’ve played a lot of NBA2K12 on 360 and a bit on PC (making use of the excellent Ultimate Roster mod). Whilst the PC version runs at a much higher FPS, it doesn’t look any prettier and the UI is very controller orientated (which is fine for me but bugs a lot of people in console ports, I gather). The PC version, bizarrely, gets patched less often than the console versions. Despite it being free to patch. You get the same end product in March of the following year, but they tend to patch it much later than the consoles.

Both 2K11 and 2K12 were very good basketball games though, and hopefully 2K13 combines the best qualities of each and builds an even better experience. No more alphabetical drafts after the first year in My Player please (I’m looking at you 2K12).

6. TaroYamada says:

The whole Jay-Z thing really turned me off, I was kind of interested in it until that cross-promotion.

Hanban says:

A thousand curses on My Player Mode!

After not having played a sports game for around ten years I figured I’d play NBA 2K12 because of my love for basketball. So I decided to play My Player Mode and I was utterly beat down and tortured. You are punished for every mistake which just makes you feel terrible.

Great game either way though!

• Dromph says:

I play on superstar difficulty and after 30+ games I tend to get an A+ 75% of the time. Might be because i play 12 min/qtr though.

Hanban says:

Eventually I did get better and started getting A’s, but whenever I would suspect that I’d end up on a C my obsessive nature would make me restart the match. I did not play on superstart difficulty, however. Maybe I’m just terrible!

emotionengine says:

The last basketball game I played was EA’s NBA Live 2000. It had a nifty “scan a photo of your face and make yourself become a player in the game” feature. That was fun. You could also “buy back” historical players into the current roster, and I reinstated Michael Jordan and Scotty Pippin, restoring the Chicago Bulls to their former glory. (That was 12 years ago, holy crap.)

9. eleven0911 says:

Potato chips making machine
    This is a rather nice post. Thank you very much for sharing.

• thaumoradiance says:

I like to imagine that it’s a dialogue between this individual’s two personalities. “Good day to you too, sir”, I join in.