War On Geometry: Super Hexagon Coming To PC

By Andrew Smee on September 10th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million sides of circling hexagons in wafer thin layers that fill my thoughts. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for Terry Cavanagh at this micro-instant. For you. Hate. Hate.

With his new iOS game, Super Hexagon, I’ve just realised that Terry “VVVVVV” Cavanagh has a plan, and it’s to achieve immortality through drinking the tears of broken souls, bent over electronic torture devices screaming his name in fear and fury. I hate him. I hate him. I hate him. Super Hexagon will be coming out on PC. You will hate him too. Hate. There’s a trailer after the jump. Hate.

How’s your Monday morning going?

See that triangle in the middle? That’s you. Avoid hitting walls for high score.

Yeah.

Cavanagh took some time out of his busy schedule to answer questions from the reddit hivemind yesterday afternoon. In the IAmA subreddit, an informal interview arena where any redditor can field a question, Cavanagh revealed that Super Hexagon has been a success on the iPhone, selling 10,000 copies in three days, and that he has plans to bring the currently iOS-only hate generator to other platforms, including Android, PC and Mac, with the PC version coming in as soon as in a fortnight’s time.

That is two weeks. Two weeks to prepare.

Super Hexagon is currently occupying a frankly bizarre space in gaming as the game’s creator is currently highest on the leaderboard by a relatively large distance. With the infinite amount of time and talent the internet throws at these things, that may give some indication at just how challenging the task at hand is. After all my wittering, it’s still a fascinating thing to torture yourself with, the short form attempts perfect for an iPhone game – as long as you tap out before you snap the thing in half. It’s also one of those exercises in patience that rewards you through ace music, which as always is a good a carrot as any to keep playing.

One of the reddit questions, about the previously hate-inducing Veni, Vidi, Vici room from VVVVVV that drove Kieron to develop psychic powers all that time ago, has a particularly telling response:

Veni Vidi Vici had to exist, basically. I didn’t make it because I thought it would be fun, or because I thought anyone would honestly want to do it. I made it because the world demanded it; because it was a logical place for the design to extend. It’s funny; I kinda thought of it as the worst part of the game when I released VVVVVV. Now I think it’s probably the best.

I hate him again.

Super Hexagon is currently out on iPhone and iPad at the knock down price of $0.99.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Jackablade says:

You can play the original Hexagon here. If you can last more than about 20 seconds you’ve got better spacial awareness than me.

2. bsplines says:

My god, just looking at the trailer makes me feel nauseous.

• baby snot says:

I think there might be a trick to it by relaxing your eyes if that makes sense. I wonder if part of the difficulty is in the choice of soundtrack that accompanies the gameplay.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

No, the soundtrack was the least brain-melting part of it. I, a person who never gets motion-sickness, am now nauseous and have a horrifying headache. I think someone slipped a fractal basilisk into the trailer.

3. EPICTHEFAIL says:

Andrew is so angry he can break physics. Andrew is therefore the Hulk. QED.

4. Bhazor says:

Let me tell you about hate…

5. DickSocrates says:

I played about 10 seconds of some version of this he linked to on his Twitter about 3 weeks ago. I thought “well, that wasn’t in the least bit fun” and wrote it off. Now the gaming press is trying to tell me it’s a work of genius.

• Terragot says:

Yes, and why are RPS promoting Iphone games. Is reading Reddit Journalism now?

• baby snot says:

Because it’s coming to PC in two weeks?

• Crazy Horse says:

The game is coming to Pc. And a new game by Terry Cavanagh easily is worth a youtube link at the least.
        That said this game looks like less fun than poking ones own eye out with a stick. I loved collecting all the trophies in VVVVVV but this is just… no.

• chiefnewo says:

I give it an eh out of eh personally, but due to Terry being a big name it’s not really unsurprising that RPS would mention it. Were it someone else’s 1982 arcade game (exaggeration and hyperbole alert) it’d probably be a different story.

I do wonder how much it will cost on the PC though.

• razorramone says:

So what you’re saying is that when someone famous does a thing, it gets more coverage than when someone unknown does a thing? Interesting, please tell me more…

• chiefnewo says:

Sure, other interesting information: the sky is blue, it’s safer to look both ways before crossing the street, always check which reply button to use on RPS comment thread to avoid looking like you’re talking to the wrong person, and always always remember it’s not worth your time to pooh-pooh an indie darling’s latest less-than-interesting efforts.

6. aepervius says:

That video should have come with an epilepsy warning…

7. Raiyan 1.0 says:

*sees trailer*

Fuck you Terry. Just… fuck you.

8. Fazer says:

Super Hexagon soundtrack can be bought from the current Game Music Bundle – http://www.gamemusicbundle.com

Don’t know why RPS didn’t write about it yet, unless I missed something.

9. misterT0AST says:

Nice work Terry. NOW GO BACK TO WORKING ON INTERESTING STUFF!
    *Whip crack sound*

10. Urthman says:

I thought I saw a review that said the controls were analog. Is that true? If so, how will it work on PC?

• Andrew Smee says:

Mouse?

• HilariousCow says:

Nope. Digital. Zero momentum.

My first thought trying it at a bar was “maybe there should be a liiitle momentum, it’s quite twitchy” and terry was like “NO.”.

I was a little taken aback, but now that I’m at 77:16, i think he’s totally right, and I’m glad he knew so clearly what he wanted from it.

11. DeathCarrot says:

Veni, Vidi, Vici did something strange to my brain. I spent ages on it during my first playthrough, but on my second playthrough half a year or so later I got it first time :S Muscle memory I guess.

I always thought the trinket right after VVV where you have to avoid the checkpoints was more annoying as it took a lot longer to complete a single attempt; VVV just took a few seconds per attempt.

I hope Super Hexagon gets a demo as it looks pretty cool but I might end up rage quitting after a few attempts.

• Pliqu3011 says:

“the trinket right after VVV where you have to avoid the checkpoints”

O god I spent ages trying to get that one. Possibly the hardest part of the game.

12. Pliqu3011 says:

I loved Veni, Vidi, Vici, and it’s mostly the only reason I replay VVVVVV once in a while.
    While it was bloody hard, I thought it felt fair, because if I died, it was because of my own mistake, not because of the game.
    If I were to replay the game right now I think I could get through V,V,V in 5 tries or less. It’s been hard-wired into my brain I think…

13. Metalfish says:

ALT Text gold medal there.

14. hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

I paused listening to Machinae Supremacy to watch that video- weird going from SID chip to SID chip.

That said, I rather like the sound in it! I can’t ever imagine getting to hear much of the soundtrack due to deathyness though.

15. eleven0911 says:

screw oil press
    Glad to be here and see this.

Comment on this story