Guild Wars Celebrates Sales Reopening With This… Thing

By Nathan Grayson on September 11th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

Guild Wars 2, obviously.

We like Guild Wars 2 quite a lot, and evidently, so does everyone else on Earth. Servers began to collapse under the sheer ferocity of unquenchable purchase-lust, so ArenaNet made a rather uncommon business decision and stopped letting people give them money. At least, directly. But now, Guild Wars 2 is back up for download, order has been restored, and I need a new excuse to riot in the streets and take more than one free sample at the grocery store. ArenaNet, meanwhile, is celebrating with a launch trailer that’s, er… hm. Maybe you should just watch it.

I’m convinced that the first two-thirds of that trailer were originally intended for The Secret World, but there was some sort of catastrophic mix-up at the trailer factory. Basically, if The Secret World’s vision of New York ends up having a few more medieval castles and adorable cartoon gnome people than you remember, that’s probably why.

In seriousness, this video touts the supposed talents of James McTeigue, who apparently also worked on The Matrix and V For Vendetta. He was aiming to “capture the revolutionary spirit of Guild Wars 2 and put forth a call-to-arms for gamers everywhere.” I would not be surprised if he’d never actually played Guild Wars 2.

I mean, don’t get me wrong: I think there’s tremendous value in an ad that can capture the feeling behind a game – especially in the case of something like Guild Wars 2, where standing out in a chainmail-clinking crowd of me-too fantasy universes is pretty damn hard as is. But this is also problematic, insofar as it takes the new-age philosophy of “live-action footage that’s only tangentially relevant to the game in question” to near-parodic levels. Sure, you and I know that Guild Wars 2 is great, but if that chokingly chunky thematic soup was your first exposure to it, how would you even react? I feel like I’d probably be doing pretty much what I am right now: gagging. There’s got to be a more effective way to communicate why we should, you know, care – not just about GW2, but about major games in general. Less glitz and glamour – more substance.

AT ANY RATE. You can now resume downloading Guild Wars 2 from this place, because it is – spotty advertising aside – really, really excellent and actually not about gas-mask-wearing youths and their crazy coal-walking parties at all. So, if you haven’t already, do that.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. StranaMente says:

Who was the idiot that approved this thing?!

• Lemming says:

You’re right it is insanely over the top, but I appreciate Arena-net wanting to differentiate themselves from the pack. I mean how many CGI-heavy fantasy trailers are there for games on TV? All of them?

This evokes the fact they are something different. It’s arty bollocks, but it might actually work.

Besides, there are bound to be some quick tv-spots that just show the gameplay and shout “GUILD WARS 2 OUT NOW!” at the end.

• Godwhacker says:

Not sure about that. Every game advert on TV is live action these days, including a really bizarre one I saw last night for Borderlands 2 that looked almost exactly like the closing ceremony of the Paralympics.

• MordeaniisChaos says:

What? A live action Borderlands trailer? I NEED THIS!

• x1501 says:

You really don’t, but here you go anyway:

• HothMonster says:

It’s a throwback to that COD trailer from a couple years ago. It made me laugh while surrounded by surly-manly-american-football watchers, I almost blew my cover. Link

• Torgen says:

I *liked* that BL2 trailer…

• socrate says:

aaaaaaah MY EYES!!!!

wth was that…i…i…why not just show gameplay!

ooohhh first bad thing ive seen of borderland 2…and its really bad

• ran93r says:

Not in game footage

• StranaMente says:

That advert reminds of old cringeworthy 1984 Macintosh advert, to be fair: http://youtu.be/OYecfV3ubP8

• MordeaniisChaos says:

I dunno, this just felt like a hate ad towards WoW. What the hell do you think the “shadow” is? The whole reason people seem to hate CGI trailers is because it gets further from the actual game, which isn’t CG. This is even MORE removed, in that it has FUCKING NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GAME. If your only reason to like a trailer is “hey this was intriguing” then I guess we’ll have to disagree on what makes a worthwhile trailer.
        But seriously. What did I just watch?

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

Boss: I want a really good trailer. Go hire someone famous.

Worker: OK

———2 weeks later———

Worker: *shows boss advert*

Boss: This is terrible. There is no way I could ever approv-

Worker: It cost 300 thousand dollars.

Boss: Approved.

• Aggressor says:

Pretty much this.

• StranaMente says:

This, agreed. :-)

• Sheng-ji says:

I’m not so sure, here’s my take:

INT.Arenanet Corner Office, painted white view over a nice green park, office is decked in luxury trinkets – DAY

BOSS, wearing a $20,000 suit, throws a signed baseball in the air and catches it throughout
        “Jenkins, there you are. I’ve written the script for the new advert myself!”

JENKINS, wearing shirt and tie, Sighs
        “Are you sure you wouldn’t rather hire a good writer”

BOSS, dismissive
        “Waste money on those layabouts, no chance. Anyway, screenwriter looks great on my CV”

JENKINS, resigned but ever hopeful he can avoid disaster
        “Should I look it over?”

BOSS “I have been working on this all night! It’s the best I’ve ever written. It’s to be delivered to the producer sealed. No-one gets to see it until its finished, Understand”

JENKINS “Whatever you say….. I know some great producers who would really get our industry and the atmosphere we would want to convey. In fact one was shown at Cannes last year, he won’t be this cheap for long”

BOSS “Cheap, CHEAP! Good god Jenkins, I want Hollywood on this! No expense spared. Get the guy who did the Matrix for crying out loud”

Thinks to himself “I loved the matrix, it proved I was more intelligent than those who didn’t get it.”

JENKINS “Er… Hollywood production values don’t necess…. You know what, I’m on it.”
        Mutters “Not my funeral”

• The Least Fun Human Being On Earth says:

Suits, shirts and ties in a video game studio?

• Sheng-ji says:

I was more thinking the publishing/PR wing, but you may have a good point there, it’s been 15 years since I worked in the industry, things may well have changed!

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Movies don’t portray reality. They make it. The reason people in the finance industry dress the way they do is because the art director for Wall Street decided that’s how they should look and people in real life starting imitating it. We’re trying to change the way game devs dress here!

• ThTa says:

Somehow, I read JENKINS as JENSEN and ended up reading everything in Sarif and his voices. It just about made my day, thanks for that.

• Sheng-ji says:

If I wasn’t on an iPad ( editing comments doesn’t work on them) I would change that!

• Phantoon says:

Wait, that wasn’t intentional?

• Foxfoxfox says:

You can imagine the pitch meeting:
      ‘Then this awesome dude in black starts graffing a wall with a revolutionary slogan, then he turns around and he has a RAD GAS MASK on, then he takes off the mask and he’s A HOT BABE

• The Least Fun Human Being On Earth says:

With her nose pierced, ’cause she’s such a rebel!

• Spengbab says:

I think thats a stab at the reverse gender phenomenon in MMOs – All the girls are actually men. Very clever, really.

Or it’s a terrible ad thats desperately trying to be edgy and radical and cooler than the bottom of a pillow in a hot summer night. I never felt it, though you probably need to be 13 and confused and totally non-comformist.

particlese says:

“cooler than the bottom of a pillow in a hot summer night”

That just made my day. I’ll have to remember that one.

• tobecooper says:

And then everyone in the meeting start HIGH-FIVING each other. God, this is MAGICAL.

• mnem says:

I really like Guildwars 1 and Guildwars 2 but this trailer is…

:facepalm:

• f1x says:

I actually like the add
      Reminds me of those old school adds that aswell didnt show anything about the game, but to be honest you are supposed to know the game already and a one minute add aint gonna add any real information, so the add focusing on the concept of the experience and inmersion is not a bad idea,

• Perlmuxxed says:

At 0:49 mark you can see that she is using blue spray paint… It’s magic!

• Lobotomist says:

First i thought its a good trailer for TSW…hehe

But anyway. Let look at GW2

You have Steampunk (Charr) , SciFi (Asura) , High Fantasy (Sylvari) , Dark Fantasy (Humans) , Vikings (Norn)

Its such a blend of styles that the trailer kind of fits ;)

• Wulf says:

Eh, not exactly.

Charr (clockpunk industrialism), asura (magic masquerading as technology), sylvari (weird phosphorescent xenobiology), humans (high fantasy), norn (well… nords, really).

• Dominic White says:

Norn: Half-Giant Werebear vikings who’s idea of a good day involves waking up, eating meat, killing stuff, boasting about killing stuff, drinking while boasting, passing out and repeating it the next day.

2. tlarn says:

It’s like one of those bait and switch commercials where a woman is taking a shower, and you think it’s a commercial for shampoo or body wash. Then it turns out that it’s really a commercial for sandwich spread.

• Lemming says:

I…..I want to see that commercial.

• Phantoon says:

What, like Mexican ads? Just a bunch of sex appeal and then at the end someone shouts “KRAFT MACARONI AND CHEESE!”

3. AngoraFish says:

What did I just watch?

tumbleworld says:

Something saying “We’re really, deeply embarrassed about the fact we’ve made a fantasy game. Please let us join the glam jocks. PLEASE.”

• Phantoon says:

That makes way more sense. David Bowie totally should’ve made the trailer.

4. The_Great_Skratsby says:

Money well spent, clearly. Oh well.

5. razgon says:

The ad works quite well actually. Ask yourselves what it sets out to accomplish, where it is being used, and whether that works for it. Its also quite provocative, asking you to do, instead of just watch. Nicely done!

• Roshin says:

Vandalise your city, burn your feet horribly, and take a swim.

Then there was some GW2 footage.

• Innovacious says:

For people who already know about gw2 and the MMO scene, it accomplishes nothing other than making them go “what?” or “cool metaphor”. I really don’t see either of those statements being a turning point to realisation that they should now get the game. They would already know more about the game to base their opinions on than the trailer gives (even if all they knew was “its an MMO”). To people who see this on TV with no prior knowledge, i can imagine it coming across as some game with a mixture of modern day and fantasy stuff. Also, it doesn’t even mention what type of game it is to those people (or even that its a game past the rating and small print).

• Bhazor says:

No it isn’t.

6. DickSocrates says:

The revolution looks alot like what it’s rebelling against. Maybe it’s some type of meta-coment on the health of MMOs in general?

7. The Least Fun Human Being On Earth says:

What the actual fuck. Worst trailer of the year?

• Butler says:

Haha. Words out my mouth.

Can’t believe someone signed this off.

8. jha4ceb says:

Wow, that trailer is … wow.

I’m sure this has been discussed before, but I’m baffled by the economics of ArenaNet trying to sell GW2 for £50 on their site. It’s been consistently available for at least 30% less elsewhere. It seems like a bad joke at the customer’s expense.

• vee41 says:

I recall reading that there is some mumbojumbo going on how ANet can’t sell the game cheaper than their partners as it would not be good for the partners or something.

9. Hazzard65 says:

Retarded marketing departments… they are in a world of their own.

10. zeekthegeek says:

Love the game but this is ridiculous and stupid. Also the game is not about a rebellion/revolution at all making it more than a little confusing.

• Mattressi says:

Having no interest in GW2, I’d assumed that it must be a game about a fantasy-setting revolution, which had me moderately interested. Then the last part of the trailer showed and it looked the same as WoW. I’m sure there’s a difference between them, but the trailer simply contrast GW2 with games that I’m actually interested in, making it look like a generic WoW clone, to me.

I’m very amused to find out that after all that, the game isn’t even about a revolution.

11. Headwuend says:

You can be a parkour-running, graffiti-spraying, gasmask-wearing hot babe, but you’ll NEVER be as radical as in Guild Wars 2!

Seriously, that’s gotta be the stupidest most bullshit trailer I’ve ever seen. It even makes me a little bit mad actually.

• AngoraFish says:

Yeah, the fact that the game is nowhere near as cool or hip as the live action part of the trailer tuns me off a game I’ve been enjoying up to now, by making the whole thing feel desperately nerdy in contrast.

12. downgrade says:

That spot seems to cater to a TV audience. It would fit perfectly between CSI and whatever else the kids are watching these days.

Also: the whole stand together thing is a big part of the personal quest, no? I think they wanted to capture that and of course the good ol’ “It’s you but in a game”-theme.

And yeah, of course i think the the trailer is dreadfull.

• Bhazor says:

A tv audience? Since when have adverts been three minutes long?

• L3TUC3 says:

I remember some bizarre faux soap opera/arthouse esque virals (weird shit happening in and around a house with different rooms and characters with a light sepia filter) that were along five to ten minutes. I thought it was a new show or a movie I hadn’t seen until the commercial break ending jingle came up (blocks are longer but less frequent in europe). Then a different one with the same style and setting came on during a show I was watching some time later.

They confused me as there was no clear reference to what it was actually supposed to be highlight. I think it was to promote (the announcement of) the ps3 or something along those lines. I tried a quick google but couldn’t find it anymore.

13. Unaco says:

That was terrible. No chance I’m giving them money if they’re going to spend it on stuff like that.

Dunbine says:

Hm. I hope my employer doesn’t start thinking the same way!

• Lemming says:

This comment was the only thing more ridiculous than that trailer.

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

It could be worse, he could have said that this gave him the right to pirate GW2. Somehow.

• Unaco says:

Why did you post it then? And why post it in reply to my comment?

• Ritashi says:

I do hope you’re aware that what you said makes absolutely no sense. I mean, it’s not like that trailer was costly, relative to the revenues they’re getting from the game. And it’s not like this was made by the same people that are making the game itself. However much money was spent on this trailer was going to be spent on some trailer, or I guess on some other aspect of marketing maybe. It’s silly, sure, but it doesn’t hurt anything, particularly the game that you would receive for your money.

14. Inzimus says:

this was my first exposure to Guild Wars 2 – and being a former Guild Wars 1 player I can safely say that if ever I had any plans of looking further into Guild Wars 2, then this trailer and this alone has made up my mind
    never in the existence of mankind will I ever spend money on any game in any way related to this over-the-top/generic-lightly-clad-ladies piece of shit excuse of a trailer for anything

I am deeply appalled by just about everything in this trailer – from the sexual innuendos to the voice speaking in a tone and of things which would better fit a generic Hollywood flick

this is an insult to gamers world-wide.

• vee41 says:

*clapclap*

Best reaction ever. To anything.

But yeah, it was a bad trailer.

• eks says:

I can’t even tell if this is an actual angry Internet post or a parody of one. It’s a bit of an overreaction to a shitty (and boy is it shitty) game trailer isn’t it?

• mnem says:

This trailer is the reason why there is poverty in the world!!!!

• Myros says:

This trailer is the reason why my wife divorced me, my dog bit me and the IRS audited me!

• MordeaniisChaos says:

Actually, I’m your dog, stole your wife, and turned you in to the IRS for laundering money through my Kibbles and Bits!

15. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Wow. Are we really sure this isn’t Anet just playing a prank or something? An elaborate fan spoof?

I still have trouble believing this is serious.

16. DestructibleEnvironments says:

So this video is telling us that gamers are filthy anarchists that can’t see the difference between game and reality? The youth today sure is scary.

17. Yosharian says:

OK, that wasn’t so good.

18. vee41 says:

I think I’ve found magical equation to MMORPG’s.

Good trailer equals bad games.
    Bad trailer equals good games.
    True story.

That trailer was… odd? Wannabe artsy? Overall I’d say it was bad though.

19. yurusei says:

Meanwhile, in a parallel universe, this is the trailer for Farmville 2.

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

Comment of the week?

• Lemming says:

Someone needs to cut that. I can see the first minute or so of this trailer being the start of a new meme.

• AngoraFish says:

It will only be meme-able if the reference is widely recognisable, and I can’t see any potential for this to do anything but sink like a stone.

• Groove says:

That’s actually perfect.

It’s like reverse rick-rolling.

lurkalisk says:

I think I might be alone in thinking that it was… Generally unremarkable. I’m a bit confused absolutely baffled by the caustic reactions I’m seeing here. I mean, it definitely wasn’t good, nor terrible (as advertisements go), just odd, but not even to an extent that I might have commented were it not for what I saw after the article…

• MD says:

Yeah, you’re not alone. It didn’t seem any stupider to me than most games, let alone their marketing.

At a guess, I’d say that there are a lot of people with a lot of affection to GW2 who are particularly unimpressed by this kind of marketing. So, understandably, they’re keen to disassociate themselves from it, and defend the game against anyone who would see it as representative.

• Grygus says:

On the Internet, many people exaggerate their position in order to stand out and receive attention. It is the downside to all that anonymity.

21. MOKKA says:

As much as I dislike this video, I think we need to know that most of us here are not the target audience for this trailer. It goes without saying that I don’t really want to meet the target audience. Be it in the game itself, or outside.

• Lemming says:

You mean you don’t want to meet some dude-bro who gets his rocks off by burning his feet on hot coals in front of his impossibly good-looking friends? Say it isn’t so!

• AngoraFish says:

As many of us have actually bought the game, surely people like us are exactly the target audience? Who else are they aiming to attract, Glee fans?

tigerfort says:

Surely the target audience for an advert consists of people who haven’t already bought the product advertised?

• AngoraFish says:

Generally, marketing is aimed at people likely to buy your product who haven’t heard about it yet, or who enjoy similar products but have not yet found a reason to prioritize your product over other similar products in the marketplace. People likely to buy your product are generally pretty similar to those who have purchased your product in the past.

It is very rare indeed for marketing to actually expand the market itself. (The market in this case being gaming-PC owners interested in RPG MMOs.)

There is practically never a time when Chick Lit is going to be marketed to guys, Mars Bars are going to be marketed to health freaks, console gamers are going to be approached to buy a PC just to play GW2, or where a well produced trailer is going to entice PC FPS players to spend $35 on an online RPG MMO.

Even under the most optimistic scenario, all this trailer for GW2 is going to achieve is to encourage more WoW and TSW players to abandon those games for GW2.

22. The Godzilla Hunter says:

It’s OK guys, I’ve fixed it:

• sbs says:

I know it’s in inside joke and all, but I watched through each one of those I’ve seen since that Dragon Age trailer, and I’m amazed every time how damn well it works.

23. Rapkannibale says:

I also found this trailer…weird. However I appreciate that they seem to have put more effort into making the actual game good rather than the trailer. Don’t you hate games with awesome trailers that then have disappointing game play?

• dE says:

Have you seen the endgame?
      I haven’t. Not for lack of trying to find one though.

• Vorphalack says:

PvP, explorable mode dungeons, crafting, having fun without being tied to 24 other nerds 3-4 nights a week. You obviously weren’t looking very hard.

• dE says:

None of these things are anywhere close to endgame content. PVP is an entirely different and to me irrelevant Gamemode. Explorable Dungeons are lacking finesse and are extremely boring due to way too high enemy hitpoints. Also the majority of dungeons is for levels lower than 80. Crafting can’t even remotely be considered endgame, something you can max out in 4 hours is far from endgame.

• Vorphalack says:

Ugh where to start……

> ”PVP is an entirely different and to me irrelevant Gamemode.”

It’s endgame content, you just don’t like it. Does not mean that it does not exist.

> ”Explorable Dungeons are lacking finesse and are extremely boring due to way too high enemy hitpoints.”

I disagree with them lacking finesse, but that’s personal opinion. The fact remains that they are end game content, but you just don’t like them. Does no mean that they do not exist.

> ”Also the majority of dungeons is for levels lower than 80.”

They all, without exception, scale your level down to the level of the dungeon. Also loot is dropped proportionate to your current level. So that was just factually wrong.

> ”Crafting can’t even remotely be considered endgame, something you can max out in 4 hours is far from endgame.”

Maxed out in 4 hours? You have all the rare recipes learned and are making a profit from your craft with 4 hours work? Calling bullshit right there. It might not be something you are interested in doing, but that is content for endgame.

I think we can conclude that this simply isn’t the game for you.

• Grygus says:

Have you actually tried PvP? I’m not a fan of PvP in any MMO (almost-exception: the original version of Alterac Valley in World of Warcraft,) but I have had some fun in WvW. I just hit the level cap a couple of days ago, so I’m not really arguing with your core assertion because I’m still very busy doing things like wrapping up Weaponsmithing, finishing my personal quest, and trying earn enough cash to buy the stuff I want, and have not even looked for end-game content yet, but if you’ve dismissed Guild Wars 2’s PvP out-of-hand, you should consider checking it out.

• Phantoon says:

What a shame you need the game to tell you what to do when you hit level cap.

But, that’s fine. We’ll continue to enjoy the game despite you complaining about how it doesn’t hold your hand.

• Highstorm says:

If you rushed through the game looking for “endgame” content (raids, I presume?), then it’s safe to say you completely missed the point of GW2 all together.

24. Dizzard says:

I came into this thinking surely it can’t be as bad the comments were saying….

I don’t know what they were thinking. What does any of that have to do with anything? The game is great fun but you wouldn’t know that watching this. Embarrassing to watch.

Can we just sweep this under the carpet and never speak of it again?

25. eleven0911 says:

whirlston food processing machinery
    Glad to be here and see this. Thank you very much for sharing.

26. Krabman says:

FROZENFACE

27. apocraphyn says:

Uhm, okay. Very artsy and “2 deep 4 u”, focusing on metaphors about the state of the MMO industry and what they consider themselves to be doing, rather than on in-game footage and suchlike. Still, Zhaitan seemed to be quite happy at the end. Whee!

28. psychoconductor says:

Anyone else irritated that the digital download is 49.99 while the DVD is 34.99 elsewhere?

• AngoraFish says:

Retailers will simply stop carrying the product if their supplier undercuts them.

Feel free to buy the DVD. Either way, it’s the same game and distribution method.

29. Cryo says:

My god this is embarrassing to even watch. You are not a fucking rebel for playing an MMO! Gahhhh!

30. Dominic White says:

I’m reminded of when Sony hired David Lynch to make a series of PS2 TV ads.

Sure, they were really memorable, visually striking ads, but after watching them, nobody had any clue what a PS2 was.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Chris Cunningham did a PS ad as well, I remember. They just like to give money to cool directors, it seems.

31. JD Ogre says:

This trailer saddens me, having nothing at all to do with the game for the first minute and a half or so. I’d so hoped that they would have made something awesome, like the Factions trailer. Whoever greenlit this GW2 trailer and hired this McTeigue fellow should definitely lose their job over it. Gives their game a very bad name.

• Lemming says:

“Whoever greenlit this GW2 trailer and hired this McTeigue fellow should definitely lose their job over it. Gives their game a very bad name.”

Oh come off it, it does nothing of the sort.

• Mattressi says:

If you say so, but to me, this trailer makes GW2 seem tacky. If it was some indie studio that was making a truly revolutionary MMO (one that is, say, interesting…), then I could sort of understand the trailer. This, however, just seems like a big company trying to pretend it’s one of the little guys breaking from the mould, and all who follow it will be fellow rebels. Which is made abundantly clear to be untrue in the final part of the trailer, showing every MMO ever made.

• DiamondDog says:

Well, I can tell you I’m shocked. Shocked and appalled. Does evil know no bounds?

• Mattressi says:

I think it’s fair enough to say that when I said “tacky” I meant “tacky” and not “evil”. But please, straw man away.

People aren’t saying someone should lose their job for being evil, but because their job was, undoubtedly, marketing – and it seems they haven’t done a great job of it (at least for most gamers on here).

• DiamondDog says:

When the reaction to a 2 minute trailer is this absurd, all that’s left is to just join in.

• Mattressi says:

I’m still not sure where you’re getting the absurdity from. Again, I simply said it made the game seem tacky. If that’s a really extreme statement to you, I’ll try to only say things like “this trailer gave me a slightly less than double-rainbow happy reaction”.

I’ve paid no attention to this game in the past and only came here to see what the trailer was like. I don’t have any prior knowledge and now what I “know” of the game from the trailer is that it’s tacky and a WoW clone. It’s probably an “absurd” point of view, but, again, I have not paid any attention to this game previously, so this trailer is all I know of it.

32. rb2610 says:

It’s perfect, they are struggling with server overpopulation, but don’t want to cut off sales permanently, the obvious solution, put it back up for sale so people don’t complain, then make a terrible trailer so fewer people want to buy it, keeping the servers nice and empty.

Genius!

33. GernauMorat says:

Anyone else notice that the spray can says BLUE on it? at about 0:48.

You think somebody might have spotted it

34. demonarm says:

Is this the New Shit?

35. Quine says:

Our time is now!

Come circle-zerg Stonemist for easy xp and 1337 gearz!

felisc says:

Meanwhile at the arenanet audio department, someone came up with an actually interesting video. http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/sv-interview-guild-wars-2-audio-director-james-ackley

Scroll down at the bottom.
    Weeeeee fire ball.

37. Barberetti says:

What a load of codswallop. I’ve a friend who’s into GW2, and he’ll no doubt laugh his arse off when he sees this thing.

38. Hunchback says:

Shit, this must have cost a ton to make… o.O Overkill much?

39. tungstenHead says:

Makes me really, really want to play The Secret World.

I think that means it’s a legendary backfire.

40. Alfius says:

You’re all talking about it …

• Dominic White says:

Yes, people are talking about it. And a not-insignificant proportion of people are saying that the trailer is so bad it actually changed their mind about getting the game.

The whole ‘no publicity is bad publicity’ thing is bullshit. Remember that ‘viral’ PSP ad campaign that Sony ran which went so disastrously that they pulled the whole thing? Yeah, that stuff doesn’t exactly help sales.

41. BarneyL says:

Only now their online shop is broken and you can’t buy it again.
    I suspect this whole thing will have costed them a sale or two, I visited every game selling store in my town looking for a copy at the weekend. After finding none I bought my way in to the Planetside 2 beta instead.

42. briktal says:

The spray paint can says Blue but it sprays red.

43. Sheng-ji says:

As someone who makes short films as an ameteur, I think the cinematography was incredible, the skill and talent shown was up there with the very best in the world. Shame then that it was meaningless fluff with nothing to do with the game, for the most part. Before you go blaming McTeigue though, remember, most directors and producers do not write scripts. This script smacks of novice writing and I would bet money that Arenanet wrote the script in house and sent that to McTeigue and asked him to produce it.

particlese says:

As confused as I am right now, I know I enjoyed the fake Inception music.

45. sonson says:

For anyone who hasn’t bought the game yet:

This advert is almost the perfect Antithesis of what Guild Wars 2 actually is. GW2 is noble and dignfied and friendly and helpful and without pretension. It is a charming and ambitious Victroian gentleman in a hat of a game, not this po-faced down with the kids youth wankery suggested above.

There is also no good reason to posit as being a game for young people at all, it’s qualities will appeal to anyone who can understand it irrespective of age.

46. neolith says:

Oh, that’s bad.

I love the game to bits so far, but it pains me to see what they do with my money…

47. Theda3g0 says:

How unfortunate.

48. Zanchito says:

It’s so bad it’s actually good. I’ll watch it again, drunk with friends. It’d be even better stoned, but I’m not into that.

I’m happy it won’t be aired here, I’d feel embarrassed to be related to anything regarding that video.

49. frosty2oo2 says:

it worked on me, till I realised the ringing in my ears was from its empty promise.

50. Tyranny says:

That video has put me right off GW2, for a while.