Bioware Reveal SWTOR’s “Terror From Beyond”

By Jim Rossignol on September 12th, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

If only we could talk to the monsters.
SWTOR‘s fresh content mill continues to crank on the missions for light-saberists and chums. Speaking here, Bioware’s Austin bossbloke Matt Bromberg said: “We’re committed to: about every six weeks, doing a major update for the game — which would be a new Warzone, a new Operation, a new Flashpoint, a new event — and to doing that on a really frequent cadence, every six weeks.” So that’s EVERY SIX WEEKS. Got that? (Nice use of the word “cadence” there, Matt.) The upcoming 1.4 update is proof of this policy, because it contains a new operation called “Terror From Beyond”. This features the Gree planet of Asation, and a “hypergate”, which you can see in action below.

The hypergate which is like a normal gate, only it spews monsters onto the planet and glows a fashionable neon blue. In this preview video Bioware’s handsome writers and designers explain that the new not-a-dungeon consists in a bunch of esoteric missions, one of which is a puzzle in which the players must “debug a computer”, although they seem to do that by killing things. Seems like a theme in recent Bioware games… If only debugging were so satisfyingly explosive in the real world, eh programmers?

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. wodin says:

Does anyone still play this???

• Bostec says:

Indeed. Where is the F2P update? Surely that should of come first so you know, people would actually play this update.

• Simon Hawthorne says:

Exactly. I would’ve phrased the question “Does anyone play this yet?”

I’ll give it a go when it’s F2P…not expecting it to be as good as KOTOR2 with the restoration mod though!

• Pucho says:

Your mama does. (sorry, couldn’t resist)

• Tuskin38 says:

I still play it 2-3 times a week (since launch), I don’t find anything wrong with it.

• Flea says:

I still play this, and I don’t understand what all the fuss is about and why people are so critical about this game. Week after week it runs away with a box full of hours of my life that I will never get back, but I’m not complaining!

2. JFS says:

Warzone: Operation Flashpoint?

3. Oryon says:

Ominous gate? Monsters from the ‘beyond’ spewing through it?

If only i could remember where i’ve seen this before.

4. Warduke says:

I don’t play the game but the video seems full of spoilers??

• Aedrill says:

That was my thought as well. “OK, now I don’t have to play it at all, I know all the important bits!”

• RaytraceRat says:

I think they took lead from hollywood trailers lately.
        (read in a deep and dramatic voice)

There is a secret, that no one knows…
        [the secret is just shown on the screen]

Until the end, you would not suspect who is the bad guy…
        [there is an evil looking guy on the screen]

You would not believe how unexpected the plot twist is…
        [guess what is on the screen]

etc.

• Bhazor says:

Spoilers

“They’ll need to hack a computer. It’s something entirely new, players having done this before”
      Cuts to a bunch of characters hitting a computer with Mattel light sabers.

5. jackieo says:

Erm, uh, it’s just… content updates to SWTOR were plagued with delays when they were fully staffed… I feel a little bit (read: fantastically) skeptical that the studio can come up updates the size of flashpoints and raids but on a shorter timeline and with 30%+ fewer people post-layoffs. Call me crazy.

6. aldo_14 says:

Is that developers name ‘Charles Boyd’ or ‘Char Les Boyd’?

Carra says:

Dozens of wanna-be programmers who sign up at university after this video will be disappointed.

8. Tei says:

This remind me of The Secret World, …. maybe SWTOR is tryiing to steal the 12 TSW player?

9. f1x says:

I will resume the video for you guys,

Weird dudes speaking about very important mcguffins, bunch of guys running at a ridiculously fast speed, lasers, big ugly mob at the end

10. aliksy says:

Man, I hope they add more content onto the rotting skeleton of an outdated game model. Wait, no I don’t.

11. Lemming says:

Spend all that money on a Star Wars licensed game, then make non-Star Wars related content for it. Amazing.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

How is this a new thing? The Star Wars license has been slapped on random crap for decades now, to the point where the universe barely has any of its own flavour left. Let`s not even get into BioWare not knowing the difference between Star Wars and Dungeons & Dragons. At least making their own IP allowed them to make stuff that makes sense in-universe.

12. BooleanBob says:

Debugging a computer, you say? Sounds like a job for the towers of fucking Hanoi!

13. Beelzebud says:

I feel like an idiot for having bought this game at launch. There I said it. It feels good to get that off my chest. I’ll try to do better next time!

14. Tuskin38 says:

I tried this operation on the Test Server, its very fun.