Qbeh Is Cubey, Beautiful, And Free On Desura

By Jim Rossignol on September 12th, 2012 at 6:00 pm.

Pretty.
Qbeh is an exquisite little thing: a first-person puzzle game with shades of Minecraft. By removing and then replacing cubes you explore your way through its levels. The entire thing is quite brief – just a couple of maps, and it really feels like a proof of concept rather than a full-blown thing – but free and therefore worth a bite. The team are now developing another first-person puzzle game called Aetheris, based on Qbeh. They describe this new game as “serene” and claim that “We’re using Beyond Good and Evil, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Half-Life 2 and of course Minecraft and Portal as both reference and sources of inspiration.” That’s due next summer, and I am tipping it for greatness right here and right now.

Qbeh video below.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. MythArcana says:

And it’s worth every penny!

2. wccrawford says:

Looks like it could be interesting.

God, I love Indie gamedev. Looking forward to their other game, too.

3. SuperNashwanPower says:

If there is a bunneh, a bebeh and a kitteh in Qbeh, then it can have mah munneh.

4. Urthman says:

From that first screenshot, I thought sure this was that game that’s set on an infinite vertical wall.

(But no, that’s Against The Wall.)

5. beema says:

How many ways can indie puzzle games misspell “cube?” Personally, I cannot wait for Kūb to come out!

6. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

wow, I don’t think I played a game that runs this shitty on my PC since the Witcher 2!

At least it’s in good company.

7. Pamplemousse says:

Didn’t we all hate on Quantum Conundrum for having lots of first person jump puzzles? What makes this so good that it avoids similar treatment?

Definitely will see what the fuss is about, at least for the price of free.

• PseudoKnight says:

There are people in this world that actually like first person jumping, myself being one of them. I’ve had far more trouble with third person jumping, actually, but it really depends on if the movement mechanics are predictable. In this case, they’re using outlined cubes so that you have an accurate and consistent measurement tool. In Minecraft you know you can jump only so many cubes horizontally — 4 barely, 3 easily. As long as the movement is good, this game will be right down my alley.

• Cim says:

The problem with this game is that the movement feels “floaty”, which makes the first person jumping incredibly infuriating.

Comment on this story