Cor-Op: Realms Of Ancient War Need Not Be Lonely

By Jim Rossignol on September 12th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt! [Ten points for posting the source of that reference in the comments.]
As Adam observed just last night, 2012 – Year Of The ARPG, marches ever onward. As well as Diablo III, Path Of Exile, Torchlight 2, and a Grim Dawn Kickstarter, we also have Focus’ offering due up at the start of October, and that’s the bloodthirsty Realms Of Ancient War. And… Hmm. After literally minutes of research I can’t find anything unique of interesting about RAW, but at least it has co-op play, which you can witness with your eyes, below. Yeah, year of the ARPG is all very well, but I hope next year is Year Of The Terrifying Complex Open-Ended RPG With Previously Unimagined Multiplayer Aspects Year. That would be a year to remember.

Exciting music, eh? That’s the music I play when I am sleeping.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. MeatMan says:

In reponse to the alt text: http://youtu.be/j_ekugPKqFw

2. golem09 says:

RAWFACE?
    or
    ECAFRAW?

3. wodin says:

The problem with ARPG’s is it’s pretty hard I think to make one stand out from the others.

Hopefully out of this flood of ARPG’s we end up with at least one classic.

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

I finished only one Diablo-like ARPG…Diablo. Torchlight came close, but I am far from finishing it as well…

4. Drinking with Skeletons says:

So is this online only? More and more ARPGs are going in that direction and it seems only those which are sequels to previously offline-possible titles are going to be criticized for it. What about those of us who even just occasionally want to play a game without dealing with server queues, hacked accounts, spammers, in-game stores, etc.?

• jrodman says:

These games are being designed by a master race of alien invaders who grow strong on the emotional power of the gnashing of teeth, and that is exactly how you are expected to react!

5. SandmanXC says:

It may be the lack of sleep, but the graphic style seems to remind me of Nox a little bit.

6. Freud says:

How am I supposed to have time to play any other genre of games?

7. Severian says:

Wow. I feel like the guy in the Memorex commercial. Sadly, I was somewhat attracted to that gameplay, but I tend to get excited by simple shiny games with lightning bolts and floating numbers.

8. MadTinkerer says:

“Multiplayer Aspects” So you want more F2P MMOs?

I believe 1992 was the Year Of The Terrifying Complex Open-Ended RPG With Previously Unimagined Sinlgeplayer Aspects. I’d like more of that, please. Someone just has to murder every EA exec, pry the Ultima rights from their next of kin, and form a team made of former Origin Systems, Sir-Tech, Sierra, Looking Glass Studios, and Black Isle employees. Then call that game Ultima VIII: The Other “Ultima VIII” Was Just A Joke.

And then make Wizardry IX.

And then establish a base on in Antarctica where marketing execs are shot on sight if caught.

And fuck multiplayer.

• jrodman says:

( ) Column
      ( ) Blog
      (x) Newsletter
      ( ) Circular

9. fish99 says:

I remember asking these guys on their forums if they were planning LAN or online co-op on PC and getting a ‘probably not’ answer. At the time they were planning only ‘co-op on the same screen’ (aka local co-op) for both PC and PS3 versions but things may have changed since then.

Anyone know?

10. scatterbrainless says:

More like year of the ARGH-PG, amiright? Eh?

Classic….