T-Rexellent: Fall Of Cybertron Excavates Dinobot DLC

By Jim Rossignol on September 12th, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

I've got something stuck in my teeth...
Hmm, this looks like old news, since the DLC has been out for a bit, but since we are the PC’s premier site for Transformers news, I feel duty-bound to post it: below is a trailer for Fall Of Cybertron‘s Dinobot DLC. As you might expect, it allows you to play the lizardly Transformers in multiplayer. It also contains retro Optimus Prime, insecticons (I think? – I originally mistyped that as “invectobots”, which would a different type of transformer entirely) and some other robo-stuff.

For a transformative opinion on the game’s multiplayer, you can read Alec’s verdict here. He also held forth on the single player.

Dinobiff! They just need Death’s Head DLC and Alec will truly be in heaven.

1. BooleanBob says:

“(I think? – I originally mistyped that as “invectobots”, which would a different type of transformer entirely)”

I think I still have Vituperon and Castigatrix in the attic somewhere.

2. AshEnke says:

That’s a shitload of fun content a 10€ dlc

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Ehh.. the content shown in the trailer is spread out over the dlc packs. Approximately 10 of each local currency each.

That’s hardly a ‘load’ of content and certainly hardly a bargain. All of that for 10 USD? Certainly. That would be far more reasonable. But hey, Activision.

3. Ian says:

Sales will saur. Everybody loves dinobots.

4. Antsy says:

I thought it was a Zoids game and got all excited :(

Keymonk says:

This pack only contains the dinobots. The insectbots are in the next DLC pack to be released, I believe.

6. kevmscotland says:

Guessing no ones noticed yet since I see no outrage in the comments, but this DLC pack costs £8.99 ($10)
    There is also a second DLC pack with other characters also costing £8.99.

For what is effectively multi player skins, this seems like a ridiculous amount to charge.

• Neurotic says:

They’re not just skins though, most of them are entirely new models too, with all the re-balancing that makes them MP-friendly.

• kevmscotland says:

I wouldnt say ‘new’ models.

Their just converted over from the Single Player.
        There used to be a time in gaming where you would just unlock this stuff.

• TormDK says:

Times change.

If no one were buying it, they wouldn’t be making it.

• arccos says:

There used to be a time before that when you wouldn’t even have to unlock it, all of the content would be available from the start.

7. Triangulon says:

I really enjoyed it, but got constantly irritated by the renaming of Slag as ‘Slug’, Bombshell as ‘Hardshell’ and Shrapnel as ‘Sharpshot’. Grr. Other than that, great nod to G1 and the movie.

• Neurotic says:

Well, Bombshell is Hardshell in all elements of the Aligned Continuity, which is what the games, novels and T Prime cartoon are in. Annoying I know, but it’s been well established now. But yes, the re-naming of Slag and Shrapnel seems a bit unnecessary .

• Werthead says:

The renaming of certain Transformers in more recent continuities is apparently to allow Hasbro to trademark the names. Certain of the older names were too generic to be trademarked (Slag, Shrapnel, Hot Rod etc). Not that it ever really mattered, but Hasbro seems to have a policy these days of putting legal control over everything they possibly can.

• MSJ says:

There’s also this thing that “slag” is an offensive word in the UK, isn’t there? Just last year there was a Transformers toy named “Spastic” that had to to be renamed for this reason as well.

8. Jake says:

If they release a DLC that lets you play the campaign co-op I’ll be interested, can’t believe that got cut out.

9. Tiller says:

All the “DLC” is locked anyway. You’re just paying for an unlock code like typical on disk DLC stuff. Every single character pack is already there, and I think two maps. The 5 Multiplayer Mayham characters, the dinobots, the insecticons, hound, and the g1 skins are all on there and locked via a variable in the .ini

Oh and they’re going to charge you $10 per pack. So that’s going to be $30 for stuff you already got.

10. Optimaximal says:

Hmm, this looks like old news, since the DLC has been out for a bit

DLC Available 09/11/12

I’d say this is pretty new news :)

11. zebramatt says:

£2 a character model unlock really SHOULD be too expensive.

But I just can’t get enough of these Transformers!

<—Part of the problem.

*sigh*

12. SelfEsteemFund says:

Pun thread opportunities aside I really wish RPS stop posting about DLC. If its Valve adding a huge update to Portal 2 or whatever you should totally post and tell the world, but DLC rape from Activision in which you’re paying the equivalent of 2-3 indie or sale games for just an activation code.. That’s really shitty

13. Turkey says:

Oh man, does anybody remember Transformers?

14. airmikee says:

I’m so sick of this DLC scam going on. I really want to play this game, but I refuse to pay for a game when I’m being asked to pay even more on top of the initial purchase just to access all the content. This is just cementing my decision to never buy another new game. Instead of paying $60 to play this right now, plus having to pay even more to get the DLC’s, I’ll just wait a couple years until a GOTY edition is released with all of the DLC for $60, and if I wait even longer, I can pick it up on sale for even less.

Rockstar could have had $60 from me to purchase LA Noire, but because they did the same retarded DLC scam, I waited until a few weeks ago to purchase the complete edition on sale for $7.50. Rockstar could have easily got my $60 if they had sold me the game with free updates, but instead they wanted $96 for everything, so I wanted and gave them a whole lot less. It’s a great game that’s loads of fun, but Rockstar’s money grubbing greed for an additional $36 in DLC cost them $52.50.