Now: You Could Come And Play Sub Rosa

By Jim Rossignol on September 12th, 2012 at 1:00 pm.

A bunch of us are playing Sub Rosa, which was one of the 7-Day FPS games, right now. It’s about agents pursuing cars across a city, and attempting to intercept couriers as they race about. You can download the demo here for Linux, Mac, and PC. There’s only one dedicated server up, but it looks like starting a new one is pretty straightforward if anyone wants to do that. No one seems to know how to play. So that’s interesting. I think you have to get the package and take it to the building marked with a ring of your team’s colour. That seems to be it. Hmm.

Video below.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. flaillomanz says:

Ah yes, I fell out of the server and couldn’t rejoin. And VOIP doesnt seem to work.
    We did, however, manage to re-enact a certain “What Is Love” scene on the way to a deal.

2. Kemipso says:

Unimportant detail:
    You can download the deom here for Linux, Mac, and PC.
    It should be “demo”, unless I did not understand a pun.

3. SooSiaal says:

I wish Cryptic Sea would come with a new version of A New Zero. This does look interesting tho.

• JB says:

I’m pretty sure Mr Cryptic Sea said that the stuff he’s learning while doing Sub Rosa is helping with the new ANZ stuff. Driving, and so on.

More ANZ would be great though.

4. dontnormally says:

“Sub Rosa was inspired by videos and descriptions of a ShackTac OpFlash/ArmA mission called Dark Business.”

5. Gpig says:

Was going to say it reminds me of Golf? but I see that it’s the same people. Kind of cool, but I would rather they just put guns and briefcases full of money into Golf? instead. That or put strange, hilly terrain into Sub Rosa.

6. flaillomanz says:

Man, it’s almost impossible to tell at a glance who is on your team. Why not have vaguely-tinted pinstripe suits instead of easy-to-miss ties?

• dontnormally says:

It seems like a deliberate design decision – you don’t know that the team arriving is the combative one until they’re too close.

7. Morello says:

I’ve got a server up, should be easy to tell which one it is. I’ll also be streaming some gameplay throughout the day at http://www.twitch.tv/afromorello – if I have enough bandwidth to do so (I should).

• AlexClockwork says:

I’ve just been playing there, and had an incredibly fun time… ^^

• Morello says:

Glad to hear it – I saw you on there. I’ll be back for a bit later, the server will stay up for at least the next 6 hours, if not overnight.

• Germo says:

Got recorded in one of your streams, seeing what everyone else was doing while I played is really interesting :D. Oh, and sorry about that betrayal, I really couldn’t bear to watch that guy walk away with the floppy. No hard feelings?

8. deadly.by.design says:

This is giving me warm, fuzzy Action Quake 2 flashbacks.

• YourMessageHere says:

Was on the fence. Getting it now.

• deadly.by.design says:

I hope you like it, but I should’ve specified that the *video* was giving me those warm fuzzies…

9. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

It reminds me of Black Shades by Wolfire Games, which is a good thing….I am off to try out the last version of Black Shades! Thanks, dudes.

• Magnetude says:

I was trying to remember the name, it looks *exactly* like it visually. I think Black Shades was also a sprint-developed game if I remember right, really great little game and the only decent FPS I could play on my awful Dell lappy at the time

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

It took me a while to remember as well…

10. Zankmam says:

Fantastic game, I play it every day.

I hope RPS will eventually post more about it, as the game progresses (when the VoiP starts working, for example).

Also, it isn’t true that “no one knows how to play”. It’s quite simple. Just take 2 minutes to read some info on the website and that’s it.

Also, just press TAB when you are playing to see the mission objectives.

11. Hoaxfish says:

Just to point out, this is another game on Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=95405750

12. barelyhomosapien says:

Great game :D

13. njursten says:

Played it for quite a few hours. Quite fun, but sometimes a bit annoying when you have no money and the server round after round puts you in the “just go kill one of the teams” mode.

• anotherman7 says:

haha I was with you. fun as hell besides the fucking tunnel missions

14. Petethegoat says:

this is awesome, yeah.

15. Sparkasaurusmex says:

I think it’s awesome that I clicked the download link and started playing in a server all in under a minute.

16. MacTheGeek says:

When you play this game, do you get money for nothing? And your chicks for free?

17. Amstrad says:

Just played the hell out of this for a few hours, it’s incredible.

18. Robubie says:

I have to say, I just checked the clock and I had been playing the game for 12 hours, non-stop. Haven’t even eaten yet. I can’t believe how much fun this is.