Guild Wars 2 Sells Two Million Copies In A Fortnight

By John Walker on September 13th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL.

There’s a lot of received wisdom when it comes to MMOs, with people quick to announce trends and patterns with very minimal data. “You can’t launch a full price MMO any more!” they’ll cry. “Free-to-play or bust!” And then along comes Guild Wars 2, and sells over 2 million copies in a fortnight. A fortnight where at some points they had to even stop selling the game.

I’m actually a bit disappointed that Guild Wars 2 hasn’t opted for a subscription model, because I’d be fascinated to see if it would still have done as well. As it is, what ArenaNet’s release demonstrates is that a box price is not an impassable barrier for the right MMO, and that there’s still a massive audience out there willing to part with cash. Which makes the matter of the relative lack of success for The Old Republic and The Secret World all the more interesting.

Of course GW2 is in the novel position of doing this without then adding on a subscription after. A one-time fee for a ‘lifetime’ of the game is certainly an intriguing offer, and it’ll be fascinating to see how many pundits now declare that this is the only way for MMOs to go. ArenaNet are reporting that they’re seeing 400,000 simultaneous players, which is testament to their servers, even if there were some wobbles at the start. But it’ll be interesting to see where those numbers are after the first month, and the second. Obviously that they’re not relying on subs makes a difference, but it’ll be worth keeping an eye on to see if that keeps climbing, levels, or drops off.

Also interesting will be whether this up-front fee model can make them their money back. Goodness knows how much has been spent in the many years it’s been developed, but it’ll be many tens of millions at least. Had all of those two million sales been direct through their own store, at the enormous starting price of £50, they’d have seen £100m come in by now. But of course most of it will have been through other online stores and retail, where the game can be found for £40, with a large proportion not reaching the publisher. So who knows. Maybe they’ll tell us? Either way, things are looking pretty decent for the project, so long as they can sustain interest until the first paid-for add-on appears. You can find out why Richard thought it was well worth the entry fee here.

So, if you bought GW2, would you have still done it if there had been a subscription?

, .

1. elevown says:

When people said you cant sell a full price mmo any more they are ofcourse refering to one that has subscription to lol! not one that is then free to play!

Personaly i wouldnt of bought it if it had a sub model- but i still would buy and pay for a full price subcription model mmo – if it was the right one and had what i wanted.

• ukpanik says:

“they are ofcourse refering to one that has subscription to lol!”
      This^…duh

• skittles says:

Actually they were indeed referring to this as well. This is not a f2p MMO, you are asked for money before you can jump in.

Some f2p MMOs did of course charge for the client at one point in time, but that was before they became f2p. The point of the matter is that pundits thought that an MMO asking for any entry price was no longer viable. This game would seem to prove them wrong, and show that f2p or subscription is not necessarily the only options out there.

• Ginga121 says:

I also wouldn’t have bought it if it had a subscription. I love the game, it’s the first MMO that has gripped me since WoW did years ago, but I would have missed it, without a doubt, if it had had a subscription fee along with it.

2. bit_crusherrr says:

I personally regret buying it. Wish I could resell the game or something.

• derbefrier says:

Yeah me too. It’s not a bad game or anything just more of the same delivered in a slightly different package. I will admit the only reason I bought it was the lack of a sub. I thought if anything I would get a month or so of fun out of it but I guess MMORPGs are just somethimg I am done with. It’s different but not different enough for me. It just time to admit to myself these type of games just don’t do ot for me anymore and I am sucker for hype.

• bit_crusherrr says:

Yeah I feel the same way. At first I was quite enjoying it but the magic wore off quickly. I think I’m just bored of that genre, even with Guild War’s improvements.

• AmateurScience says:

I think that’s key here. There’s limited risk with a one off purchase and no sub. Not as limited as an F2P game, but then having a box price also makes you (well, me) feel like I’m getting a premium product and not aggressively monetised shovelware.

• Brise Bonbons says:

I bought it with the understanding I was done with MMOs, but wanted to have an RPG I could dip into on a whim when I felt like just wandering around. Basically for me it’s serving the same “role” as Skyrim, with the NPCs replaced by other players.

As such, I wouldn’t have bought it if it required a subscription, but despite being “done” with MMORPGs, I’m quite content with my purchase, and know I will keep it installed and play it from time to time for many years.

It is very much the same old MMORPG stuff, though. It sort of makes me want to get into EvE that much more, because GW2′s MMORPG mechanics are so very timid and conservative in their vision.

• Wreckdum says:

300 hours /played and still no sign of slowing down.

The game is amazing. I’m not a fan of this single player story trend in MMOs but I finished it anyway and have to say they did superb job. Best story telling I’ve ever seen in an MMO environment.

The end game explorable mode dungeons have also had my butthole puckered more than any other MMO. The twitch based boss fights rather than running around a choreographed pattern dodging circles is a breath of fresh air to the genre. Last night I stepped back and realized how ridiculous I sounded to my room mates when I would try to help people in my group by telling them when to dodge. “DODGE! DODGE! DODGE! READY, DODGE!” lol

• HexagonalBolts says:

I think the story I’ve experienced so far by level 30 and quite a few hours of gameplay is sheer bile. It’s just absolute nonsense. The characters passionately bemoan all sorts of things that I have absolutely no connection to and often very little knowledge of. A vast majority of the scenarios are absurd and repetitive. To top it off they’re poorly thought out – my mage character, even when well equipped and above level requirements can still often be killed over and over by ridiculous scenarios.

Other than these story elements and some minor improvements that can’t possibly have taken ten years to work out since WoW was created, the game is barely distinguishable from any other bland MMO.

• Brun says:

If doing more than standing still and mashing buttons on a hotbar is too difficult for you, you can always go back to WoW. But this is the kind of thing we’ve been talking about in this thread – it’s times like that when you need to use the dodge button and think carefully about your skill and trait selection.

• Nick says:

I liked the original GW and chapters storylines, but GW2s by and large has been fairly shitty, hateful or uninteresting characters, irritating procalmations about how much of a hero you are, poor attempts at illiciting emotional response to characters you haven’t been with long enough to give a shit about.

Rather let down, although some bits are quite good.

Worst part is one of the key story characters is voiced by a guy who can’t deliver a line with the correct intonation to save his fucking life.

• FriendlyFire says:

Asura story is best story.

That is all.

• running fungus says:

Oh no. Bad voice acting is a killer.

• jrodman says:

Assuming someone that doesn’t appreciate some scenarios is “bad” is pretty churlish, and adding ‘go back to wow’ is definitely so.

In general combining “linear story elements” with likely failure is awkward. They’d be better placed in other segments. I find the main “challenge” to the story components is just avoiding fighting too many enemies at once, which largely relates to the scripting. Which you can’t know in advance. So overall not too impressed with that, but enjoying it anyway.

I haven’t encountered painfully bad voice acting so far. I imagine this varies by the path you take. But i’m certainly not blown away by the story quality. It’s good enough to entertain me in context though.

• chuckles73 says:

Similar story for me. I’m okay with the buy price, just to play with friends.

If it had a subscription, I still may have bought it, but I certainly wouldn’t still play it after the first month.

• aliksy says:

What would you want it to do differently?

To me, the fact that it makes it so seeing other players is (almost) always a good thing without worrying about officially forming groups or over leveled people is pretty significant.

How many times have you played other MMOs, been killing monsters, when someone else shows up and your first reaction is “Get out of here, these are my mobs!” ? Or had someone say that to you?

• J_C says:

What? I thought this is the best MMO ever, which revolutionized the genre, and made it much more fun. It is an evolution.

And you say that it is not? You are talking gibberish. :)

• AshEnke says:

Can’t you sell your account to someone else ? Is it absolutely forbidden and people who do this are hunted by ANet or is it only forbidden by the ToS and frowned upon like it is with any other game ?
      Is there a way to change the email adress associated with the account ?
      Is there a way to rid the account of every one of your personal information ? (unlike a Battlenet account)

• DiTH says:

I felt the same way.Then i joined a guild and we started doing wvw together and the game is now awesome again.

• Ragnar says:

Of course people can make any MMO fun. I played WoW for 4 years, and I assure you that wouldn’t have happened had it not been for my guild full of friends. Being fun with a guild doesn’t necessarily mean that the game is fun, just that hanging out with your friends / other people is fun.

At the same time, say you have a group of friends to make a guild. Which MMO should you go play together?

As a solo experience, only SWTOR managed to captivate me enough to want to keep playing (but not enough to pay the subscription), with TSW as runner up, while TERA and GW2 just bored me.

GW2 does a lot of things right, and I’d like to see it’s changes (like the fast-travel) make it to other MMOs, but the gameplay still felt to me as standard boring MMO busy-work and tedious chores.

• Kinth says:

I feel the same way. I keep trying to force myself to play it but I just can’t bring myself to it. There is nothing inherently bad about it, it just feels incomplete and the combat doesn’t live up to expectations at all. They touted it as being much more active and showed of all this dodging. But in the end it’s just WoW’s combat but you can dodge every now and again by pressing a button. here is no real skill within the PVP either. It’s just mash your buttons and wait for cool downs.

I’ve gone so far to inquiring about a refund though I doubt that I will get one. Still worth a try.

• Brun says:

If you haven’t run an Ascalonian Catacombs on Explorer Mode you’re judging the combat with *very* incomplete information. The combat tactics you use while leveling are very different from those you have to use in PvP and Dungeons.

• rawrty says:

Haha yeah. My first AC exp run I got whomped on before I learned how to use my skills effectively for the various bosses. Same with PvP, although I’m still learning there. Having been in my servers leading progression guild in WoW for the past 2 expansions, I think that there is way more skill involved in the PvE of GW2. And that’s just the first lvl 30 dungeon, compared to endgame WoW. PVP I always thought took more skill in wow than PvE. Since I’m still geting my ass handed to me in GW2 PVP, I think its the same here as well.

It’s just funny to read posts like the above because I feel that skill level required to be good at this game is much higher than most other MMOs. Sure you can grind through quests and levels with just about any build/mashing buttons, but GW was always more about PVP to me anyway…

• mnem says:

Err what?

PvP = mashing buttons? Are you sure you’re playing guildwars?

Edit:

Fix some lines for you

“I* have no real skill within the PVP either. I* just mash my* buttons and wait for cool downs.”

• Kinth says:

Here I fixed your comment for you as well.

“Oh no someone has formed a different opinion to me about a game I like, quick I better go and try to insult them instead of saying anything of actual substance. That will make me feel truly superior.”

• f1x says:

Any opinion is respetable,

but saying that PVP in GW2 is just mashing your buttons is so far from reality that it just sound like a joke or a trolling attempt

I’m not saying is all about “skillz”, but anyone standing still mashing buttons in one of those battlegrounds/scenarios is calling for a quick death and thats quite a fact

• mnem says:

Did you feel insulted because I told the truth?

You went to PvP, mash those buttons every after cooldown and you lose terribly. Then you declare that pvp in guildwars doesnt require skill.
            ———

“Just because you think the system requires skill doesn’t mean it actually does nor does it mean everyone who thinks it doesn’t require skill is crap at the game.”

I hate to tell this to you but if you cant formulate even a simple strategy besides “mashing your buttons” then you are crap at this game.

• Wynaut says:

You’re kidding, right? Go look at the GW2 subreddit. Go look at any discussion about GW2 PvP. They’re always talking about strategy and important things such as positioning and map/situational awareness.

How long did you actually try GW2 PvP? One match’s worth?

• Vorphalack says:

I’m not going to write an essay on this, but the combat really does involve skill. That dodge mechanic? Really fucking important to learn. If you miss time your dodge or just waste them on nothing you will get your arse handed to you by a skilled player / hard mob. It should also be obvious to anyone who can read that there is more to combat than smashing all buttons when they light up. Your weapon picks and support skills, even your choice of heal, have a huge impact on how you play and leave a lot of room for skillful execution.

• Highstorm says:

I’ve seen this attitude from so many people, some of my friends included, and it’s just tragic. They say things like this, then complain when they get destroyed by some “really tough mobs”. The combat is different than your standard MMO fare and that dodge button is not there just to watch a cute little tumble animation. Many weapon skills are situational and not “useless” (as friends have said), nor there to be mashed. It’s painful trying to get people out of the WoW mindset…

• Kinth says:

I haven’t been “destroyed” by a single mob, yes dodging is important, but overall the games action doesn’t feel any more active than WoW’s where instead of dodging you just activate a defensive cooldown a the right time, dodging is just too infrequent to make it feel like anything more than a reskin of the defensive cooldown system.

Just because I think there is no skill involved with the combat or the PvP system doesn’t mean I am a simpleton who doens’t know how to play the game as many people keep trying to suggest.

It just means I think there is no skill in the combat and PvP system. I bought the game just as you did. We formed different opinions, just because you wish to compliment the game does not mean you are right, nor does it mean everyone with a complaint doesn’t know how to play. If I was dying constantly I wouldn’t complain about the low skill required to master the system now would I? If your friends do that then they aren’t very bright.

• Brun says:

Again, run some Dungeons. Dodging and positioning are absolutely essential mechanics, to the point where those skills become more important than your build or weapon selections. The first boss in AC Explorer will literally one-shot you *every time* unless you and your entire party know how to dodge well.

You’re correct that the basic soloing and leveling content doesn’t really expose you to the depth of the combat – while I consider that a flaw it was probably intentional on Arenanet’s part to avoid immediately alienating people who couldn’t adapt to the new system.

Trust me, your first dungeon – and especially your first explorer mode dungeon – will be a rude awakening.

• FriendlyFire says:

Caudecus Manor explorable mode. Snipers.

Oh god.

• Grygus says:

There is quite a difference between a subjective statement, e.g., “Guild Wars 2 is not hard enough to hold my interest,” which can’t be effectively countered logically, and an objective statement, e.g., “Guild Wars 2 requires no more skill than WoW,” with which people can disagree with based on hard evidence, and if you do not seem to be aware of that evidence then it is legitimate for people to point out your ignorance.

• Highstorm says:

I didn’t mean to imply you were a simpleton, nor even unskilled, and my apologies if it came across that way. Probably because I mixed a response to you in with frustrations of dealing with certain friends. Friends who, yes, are sometimes not the brightest.

My point to you, and to them, has been that I think a lot of people struggle with understanding and then enjoying the combat, because they still approach it like they would other MMOs. You equated it to WoW’s combat, for example. While it certainly shares similarities like “Tab targetting”, hotbars and cooldowns, it does have a much more active component with dodging, positioning, precise timing and even combos. That may not be evident at first where you can survive trading blows to the face with creatures ala WoW, but you’d find it requires much more than that later in the game (particularly in the dungeons as others have said – absolutely brutal). This is the point where my friends get grouchy and complain about the difficulty, and where I try to explain to them that they can’t just sit there trading blows and button mashing, and expect to survive.

It may well be a failing of the game that it doesn’t teach those things to players early enough and it’s unfortunate that some will give up because of it.

• Eddy9000 says:

wish I could swap you for ‘Dark Souls’. That game is just no fun whatsoever, £30 down the drain.

• Kinth says:

If you didn’t find fun in Dark Souls then you wouldn’t find fun in Guild Wars 2. Well not if you’re comparing combat to combat.

Guild wars 2′s combat is kind of like a simplified version of Dark Souls. You have more buttons to press but you are generally less cautious about your positioning. Overall it’s less tactical than Dark Souls.

• Vorphalack says:

I smell a troll…….

• Eddy9000 says:

Bugger off Vorpalhack, we’re having a conversation.

My problem was being killed every 3 minutes and having to run for miles through the same stuff I’ve done 10 times already before dieing again. I’d sacrifice a little bit of combat tactics not to have to do that :)

• Vorphalack says:

You are having a conversation with a fairly obvious troll. Up to you if you want to take him seriously I guess.

• bit_crusherrr says:

I’d of happily swapped for Dark Souls. Currently waiting for it to be on sale as I have it on PS3 but want to play it on PC with a fresh start.

• d34thm0nk3y says:

I’m with you sir, I’m still playing the game in vain attempting to find it’s fun side. I’ve got such a huge list of gripes with this game. Don’t get me wrong, it’s done quite a lot of good but the core combat mechanics let it down for me.

Mainly it’s the limited skills in the game that get on my nerves. I’ve played GW1, I LIKED the 8 skill system, it was good and deep. GW 2 however only gives you 6 choices: weapon, healing, 3 utility and 1 elite. This doesn’t make it automatically bad, it becomes bad when you see how boring the choices are and how similar the weapons are in the end.

The healing skills will all heal you for roughly the same amount, with a few added effects that make minimal difference.

The utility skills (for the Engineer and Warrior atleast) are really underwhelming as well. They hardly make a difference to your play style. You’ll just be using your main weapon 90% of the time, just occasionally pressing the utility skills.

This brings me to the weapon choices. The fact they they FORCE those 5 weapon skills on you ruins it. All the weapons are pretty similar, not really changing your role too much. Those that could change your playstyle or role, it seems like the devs went out of their way to make sure they wouldn’t make a difference. As the engineer, I thought I could have fun using the elixir gun, seeing as it seemed to heal people and cause conditions. I found out however that the heal is VERY weak, it might as well not be there. It’s the same for any other heal I see classes with, they make next to no difference, barely heals the damage of a hit.

I can’t be bothered to carry on ranting. I’m hoping there’s just something I’m not seeing and that the game will be fun soon because it has so much potential.

• Punchbowled says:

You really need to stick with it. I’m mostly playing an Engineer, too. I very rarely use my rifle. All about switching between grenades, elixirs, healing packs, and flamethrower as quickly as possible. Rifle is nice to relax with in some of the more gentle PvE, and that’s about it.

But it sounds to me like you need to push yourself a bit harder. Most games, not just video games, distribute fun in direct correlation with the amount of fun we put into them. If you think it’d be more fun to make the game a bit more challenging for yourself, then do that, no-one’s going to stop you. I think it’s worth it.

• Naum says:

Same-ish here. I’ve been following this game extensively for the past two years or so (including fansite staff, trade shows, personal blog, pre-release guild etc.) and it is indeed a very good game — but unfortunately also still an MMORPG. I guess the lesson I’ve learned is that likely no member of that genre will ever reach the heights of storytelling, combat and other gameplay, or interactivity that I’ve experienced in great singleplayer games. Which is a genuine shame, because the promise of it — experience heroic things together with a bunch of friends — still sounds so damn good.

• CletusVanDamme says:

I wouldn’t say I regret buying it. I got much more for money out of it than I did Aion or Rift, or even WAR. But I’m kind of done with it already – it’s still an MMO, it’s still ridiculously repetitive and it’s still a hotbar game which I’m kind of sick of.

I was having fun running around in the WvW but since getting in the Planetside 2 beta I haven’t even logged into GW2. I’ll pick it up every now and then because I can without having to pay, which is great, but I dunno. I don’t think I “got” it.

3. EvOr says:

I wouldn’t have, one of the only thing that I refuse to do is to pay a subscription for a game. Any game. 15dollars a month is half my internet connection with which I can play FPS, STR, traditonnal RPGs, any game, which allowed me to find a job, even to work from home sometime, to watch movies, listen to music, to read the news, to speak with my friends…

Why would I pay that much for something I will not know up-front if I will spend enough time to not feel robbed or cheated ?

That’s why I’ve almost only played the Guild Wars game in the genre : no monthly fees

• Ragnar says:

If you have the time to play, subscription MMOs can be your biggest bang for the buck.

So assuming you like playing MMOs and non-MMOs equally, subscription MMOs range from a good value to an amazing value.

But if you greatly prefer the hours you spend playing non-MMO games to the time you spend playing MMOs, then that disqualifies just about everything.

And then there’s the whole question of whether entertainment should be judged for how much time you receive per $.

I don’t decide to buy food and drink based on how long it will take me to consume them, I don’t value movies based on how long they are, and I don’t judge books based on the font size and number of pages, so why should I do the same with games?

• abfinz says:

Okay, but would you buy a book for full price, and pay a quarter of the full price monthly to continue reading it? Okay , so maybe the author is going to fix typos and continuity issues within the story line, and every couple of weeks they may add a page or two. On top of that they’ll add a couple of new chapters every couple of years, but you have to pay full price for those. Oh, and if you decide to stop paying, you can no longer read it anymore. Also, the base book is large enough that reading it cover to cover in the first month would require all your waking hours more than a few of your sleeping ones.

Yeah, that doesn’t appeal to me at all. If I buy media, I want access to it without having to pay full price for it every 4 months.

• J_C says:

You are speaking like the sub-based MMOs are from the devil. 99% of MMOs have been sub-based from the beginning, and only a few years ago MMOs started to change that.

• Grygus says:

Whether there has been enough change often enough to justify the subscription has to be judged on a case-by-case basis, but the idea of a subscription isn’t that you’re paying for the same content over and over; you’re funding a constant stream of new stuff. For example, EverQuest looks and plays completely differently from the game released in 1999. Even World of Warcraft, with Blizzard’s glacial development pace, bears little resemblance in terms of gameplay to the original release. Those evolutions were made possible through subscriptions.

Not claiming that this is the only way to achieve that result; clearly it isn’t. But it’s a legitimate approach. I think books are an extraordinarily bad analogy; a better comparison would be a magazine or newspaper.

4. Meat Circus says:

Still, somebody has found a way to sell a WoW clone for yet another generation: by making a WoW clone, and then obfuscating its WoWness JUST ENOUGH so that 2m won’t realise for a few months until it’s too late.

Brilliant, frankly. Wish I’d thought of it.

• FriendlyFire says:

The same could be said of “Doom clones” and “Command & Conquer clones” and roguelikes and whatever. It’s entirely meaningless.

Is the game fun to play? That’s all that should matter.

• Gnoupi says:

“so that 2m won’t realise for a few months until it’s too late.” Which probably means they’ll have had fun during, if they kept playing. And that’s all that matters.

• SquareWheel says:

Having never played WoW, I’m enjoying GW2. And I don’t have to pay every single month, so I’m happy.

• DrGonzo says:

The game that they said was going to be like WoW 2, developed by some of the team behind WoW turns out to be similar to WoW.

No one was shocked, no one was misled.

• AmateurScience says:

And it will matter less because they haven’t paid anything to play the game in the intervening 2 months…

• JackShandy says:

Yes, those cunning bastards have managed to trick poor fools into having fun for a few months playing a game that took years and millions of dollars to make.

• TechnicalBen says:

How can it be “too late” when there is no subscription price. :/

• Shralla says:

Congratulations on talking crap about a game you clearly don’t know anything about. Remind me again when it was that WoW introduced weapon skills and got rid of skill trees, as well as reduced all of their cooldowns and durations to about an eighth of what they were before.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

Not to mention not having a quest system, being more forgiving of a player going on a few months` hiatus, not requiring a hundred hours of grinding to get to the fun part of the game, level scaling that means a level 80 isn`t limited to 2 zones… Shall I add further differences between this and WoW. The game is certainly not revolutionary, but it is an evolution of the tab-target skillbar MMO.

• Ragnar says:

Though I would argue that replacing the quest system with effectively a tedious chores system was not for the best.

The main thing, though, is the gameplay. I wouldn’t say that the gameplay is just like WoW’s (SWTOR is closer to WoW than anything else), but it feels just like standard MMO gameplay. If you’re bored of WoW style gameplay, GW2′s gameplay is not different enough to relieve your ennui.

• FriendlyFire says:

I beg to differ. The further you go in, the more different the combat is. If you think you can stand in place and mash buttons like in WoW… think again. You’re just still in forgiving zones.

• Brun says:

Agree with Friendly Fire. That kind of thinking will get you killed repeatedly in a Dungeon or WvW encounter. There’s a reason that almost every ability (even those with cast times) can be cast while moving.

• FunkyBadger3 says:

If circle-strafing is your big innovation, I wouldn’t go shouting too loudly about it.

• Grygus says:

Fight a world boss at level 80 and come back and tell me how far circle-strafing got you.

• FunkyBadger3 says:

How many hours before I get to that? Circle-strafe and kiting seems the order of the day so far…

• jrodman says:

I’ll agree that the circle strafing doesn’t seem to bring a lot to the party, but it’s well done enough that it doesn’t irritate me like TSW did.

So far I’m enjoying the “chores” a good deal. I think there could be more in the way of .. i dunno, “discoverable” activities. But as a game to play now and again, it satisfies.

• mnem says:

@jrodman

For discoveries, just wander off in every map and you will encounter unnamed quest, chest and some jumping puzzles.

Also, there is the mystic forge. There are still lots of undiscovered recipes for that.

• jrodman says:

Unnamed quest? I haven’t found any of these so far. The jumping puzzles seem generally clearly marked? Not that I mind too much. I’ve enjoyed them.

I’ve only done the sylvari starting area so far, but I *think* i’ve explored almost all of it and almost no unmarked activities so far. A lot of fun activities though, to be sure.

• Zanchito says:

jrodman: I think there are three unmarked activities in the starting Sylvari area. The one I’ve completed is the secret Asura lab with the holographic hexagonal platforms over the lava. Pretty cool.

• Nick says:

I hated WoW and I enjoy this. I don’t find them particularly similar to actually play.

• f1x says:

Actually, the game is a clone of Guild Wars 1, which launched in 2005, just a year after WoW Vanilla
      The limited skills setup and many of the systems are evolutions from GW1

But hey! biased opinions for the win

• malkav11 says:

GW2 plays -radically- different from GW1. Like, they’re almost polar opposites despite sharing a world, some classes, and a few design sensibilities.

• f1x says:

Of course,
        but the philosophy of the game when it comes to PVP and balancing is very much like in GW1 (when you go to the PVP area you are max level, etc),
        also the trademark which is swapable limited skill slots (I think it was 8 slots in GW1?)

But the main point is that the game is definitely not a wow clone, specially when it is a sequel to a very old and succesful MMO

5. MerseyMal says:

I probably would have but after a while I’d have stopped my subscription if I started feeling that I wasn’t playing it enough to be worth paying a monthly fee. At the moment I’m currently addicted to it though.

• Vorphalack says:

I think i’d have done the same. If there had been a sub i’d probably have played it to death for 2 months and quit until the next expansion. Without a sub I can take my time, play it along side other games, not get burned out, and probably spend more money on it. It’s a really good game but I hate being tied to monthly payments.

6. PiD says:

I wouldn’t have bought it if it had a regular subscription but I think that’s down to my gaming ADHD, I know I won’t stick with a game for more than a few weeks at a time so subscriptions are pretty much a waste of money to me.

• running fungus says:

I don’t really understand this. Say you want to try out Eve. Well, first of all you can try it for free. Then you can have a month for $15. If GW2 was subscription based, with a model like that one, I’d be playing it right now. What I’m not going to do is spend $60 (Cdn) to try it out, only to find out that I don’t like it. So in this respect, the non-sub model is a complete failure to me.

• malkav11 says:

MMOs never have a free trial right at launch (which is all kinds of screwed up, IMHO). And most of them charge the $50 (or recently, $60) up front and then -also- charge a subscription fee after the first month. GW2 is a better value proposition.

• running fungus says:

I guess I’ll wait for the price drop, then. A substantial one. Meanwhile, Eve emailed me today with a new free 20-day trial — I guess they’re a tad concerned — and being my own personal mother of all addictions I’ll probably go for that instead.

7. Brilhasti says:

Probably not.

8. MidoriChaos says:

I’d have played the free month, then quit. I’m not really a fan of pvp and I find the dungeons in GW2 terrible (far too flashy, too hard to see anything of what is going on) and I have to admit I *do* like healing and tanking. Exploration for a month would have kept me going though but not enough to pay past the free month unless I hadn’t finished the areas.

9. Kdansky says:

I would have bought The Secret World if it didn’t have a sub. I bought this because it didn’t have one. I’ve got a busy life, and no time to play dozens of hours every week.

The issue isn’t the money (I could afford WoW when I was poor, I can damn well afford 15$ a month now with a good job), it’s the game design behind it. When there is a sub, the developer has a huge incentive to drag out content to make you pay an extra month. In GW2, that’s not the case, and the differences are phenomenal. Leveling up is there because it’s a fun mechanic, not because it wastes my time.

That said, I wish they added a mouse look toggle button (with a crosshair in the center of the screen while active). During combat, RMB is held down nearly non-stop. That’s a waste of effort and bad for my RSI.

• Spinks says:

Ask yourself what they might be incentivised to get players to do instead, and dont’ be surprised if GW2 ends up with a very grindy endgame that you can speed up by spending real money on gems or whatever.

• FriendlyFire says:

And where exactly would that endgame be? I’m level 80 and I haven’t seen it.

• Spinks says:

I’m nowhere near max level but I gather legendary weapons are currently where its at.

• Shooop says:

Those don’t seem too far out of reach compared to some other games I’ve played like Vindictus.

I’ve just hit level 36 and I have 3 golds. Cultural level 80 weapons I think cost around 4 golds. Everything feels within reach of someone who doesn’t play 10 hours a day which is nice.

• FriendlyFire says:

Legendary weapons require a lot of work, that much is true, but there’s no way to boost yourself out of that work. The biggest work comes from acquiring the 300 skill points for a bloodstone shard, and that’s 300 skill points no matter how much money you throw at them.

The rest of the stuff can be acquired through gold (which is honestly far more efficient to get yourself than to exchange from gems) and some of it needs maxed crafting professions, which you also can’t get around by paying.

However, it’s worth keeping in mind that legendary weapons have the same stats as normal level 80 weapons. They’re not “ultimate” weapons, they just look nicer. That means if you can’t be bothered with them, you’re at no significant disadvantage. Further, it means you can just play normally with your standard weapons and then suddenly maybe 2, 3, 6 months down the line, you realize you can make a legendary weapon.

• mnem says:

Legendary weapons dont have godly stats, they are for aesthetics only. I bet most rare and exotics have more powerful stats than those weapons.

• socrate says:

no…no totally doesn’t,so many people talking out of their *** here

it as its problem like every game…but so far gold is just a grind and not THAT important anyway.

to me people that complain about a 1 time by and no monthly fee and then pay for the tons of DLC that aren’t even worth 10$ and say they are great is beyond me,this age of gaming is about stupidity and approving the exploitation of the market that exploit you.

10. AmateurScience says:

I haven’t bought it yet, but I probably will! And I definitely wouldn’t be getting it if it had a sub.

£9-12 actually buys a lot of game these days, when I was a regular WoW subscriber most games were still £20+ *and* there wasn’t the breadth and volume of games available. I dipped briefly into SWTOR when it came out and really didn’t click with it, and a lot of that was to do with the way I wanted to play being in total conflict with the way a subscription demands I play. I can dig a free to play model because (done right) then I’m under no pressure to play, I can play, and pay on my terms, but I still prefer the regular model of buy game play game.

11. Insurgence says:

You also forgot “PC is Dead”.

And I would like to mention that GW2 allows you to buy “Gems” with real money. Of course you can also buy those gems with in game money which is nice, but there will be a lot of people who take the “legit” short rout for gold.

• FriendlyFire says:

Considering how terribly expensive that is (try exchanging gold for gems and back and see how much you get back), I doubt many people will do it. If they do, well, good for them?

Gold’s not the most valuable commodity anyways. Just about all the top-tier items need more than that. Racial weapons need karma, which cannot be bought (at best you can buy boosters, but that still requires playing a fair bit). Legendary weapons need a lot of skill points and some account bound items that require 400 crafting levels.

What gold will net you is faster guild stuff and WvW stuff (like the commander book at 100g or influence tomes).

12. Rubyace says:

I wouldn’t have bought GW 2 if it would have subscription system. I don’t really like it that much anyway, though that might be the case with every mmorpg (I did buy gw2 so I can say I have played it)

13. Insurgence says:

I wonder if it is possible to block myself.

14. MOKKA says:

Wouldn’t have bought it if it had a sub. With the exeption of three months of Warhammer Online (which were a birthday present) I never played a subscription based MMO and I never will. I just don’t see the point in paying repeatedly for a game I already paid for.

• FriendlyFire says:

Exactly that. I also hate how sub games make me feel almost guilty for not playing them. “Look, you’re wasting valuable sub time doing OTHER THINGS!”

• zeroskill says:

This is basically why I refuse to pay for subscriptions. I always used to feel guilty for using my free time for something other the WoW, when I still used to play that game, which is now 5 years back. I switched over to Guild Wars and had a much better time overall.

It felt like being liberated.

15. neonshadow says:

I honestly wish it was subscription based. The free 2 play model just does not sit well with me. The fact that I can get a chest that requires me to pay real money to open is terrible, then add on to that things like xp bonuses, bank slots, bag slots, and immersion breaking boxing gloves/hats/sunglasses. All of those things are just bad and make you feel like you aren’t getting the “whole” experience. I would just want to pay a sub and get everything.

• FriendlyFire says:

Except that the keys drop in the world and are given as quest rewards for certain storyline missions. The chests then let you have all the utilities, boosters, tonics and transmutation stones with some luck. Dye packs are frankly expensive when dye drops are so frequent; all you get is the insurance that the dyes will have a certain value.

Bank slots have been around since GW1. If they follow their old model, they’ll probably give you new bank/bag slots for each “birthday” your characters go through, as well as gifts (GW1 were minipets). Character slots were given with expansions or bought separately.

Honestly, the only criticism I’d level at them is that the bank is very small initially. Otherwise, I’d say they’re pretty fair – if you want to pay for it, it’s available, otherwise you can just exchange gold for gems and get them that way. About 1.5g will net you a new bank slot right now.

• Brun says:

Not to mention the fact that the chests themselves often drop keys, allowing you to open multiple chests in succession.

• DrGonzo says:

I haven’t played a huge amount of the game. I’m at level 30 ish, I’ve found at least 3 chests which all had xp boosts in them, and I found the keys to go along with the chests shortly after.

I can’t see myself ever spending any more money on the game other than expansions.

• Xerian says:

Buying EVERYTHING YOU JUST MENTIONED would cost you about two months of a subscription, so please, I beg of you, pull your ignorant arse out of your rectum, you shouldnt stick it there in the first place… Nor in other peoples rectum, for that matter. And I currently have 11 boxes, but 15 keys. And really? You’ve got so little to whine abiout that you whine about fun cosmetic items? Get over yourself.

• Vorphalack says:

” pull your ignorant arse out of your rectum, ”

Dare I even ask…..

• FriendlyFire says:

I’m guessing you meant to reply to the parent?..

Outside of the insults, I’m pretty much agreeing with you.

• Nick says:

its not a new slot, its double the base amount, which is reasonable enough imo.

• Vorphalack says:

It’s not free to play unless you mugged someone for a box. Pay once is NOT free.

• wengart says:

Each month put $10-$15 dollars into the gem store just like a real subscription based game!

16. somberlain says:

I got the game because it was subs free. I would have gotten Star Wars and Secret World too, but paying a box + monthly fee is just too much. Either I pay monthly, either I only pay for the box.

17. soco says:

The payment model they picked seems to have been the right one. I know I probably wouldn’t have gotten the game if it had a sub. I’d probably not enjoy it as much as I do either as whenever I have a sub I feel like I NEED to be playing to get my money’s worth…then it just turns into a job more than a game.

With this one time up front cost and optional cost for cosmetic and convenience items I can play more relaxed, not feel the pressure to play, and in the end enjoy it more.

18. Cameron says:

I have stopped playing WoW partly because I don’t want to feel that I have to play as much as possible each month to get my money’s worth. I have more important things to do than play games. So to answer the question in the article, no, I wouldn’t. There is also the issue that you could take your monthly sub cost and pick up an innovative new (or slightly older AAA) title from digital distribution each month and still have money left over.

I think it’s fairly telling by looking at a post on the World of Warcraft forums by a user asking why no content updates or bug fixes were forthcoming though we are paying. It was answered by Blizzard saying that it’s because the team are working on Pandaria. Considering that Pandaria is a paid for expansion this should have raised a few eyebrows. So the actual outlay for Pandaira for people, taking the employees comment at face value, would be subscription costs since last content update + expansion price.

• Brun says:

To be fair to Blizzard, a substantial portion of the work they did for MoP arrived for free in patch 5.0.4. All users, regardless of whether they purchase the expansion or not, get access to that content.

• Cameron says:

Fair point, I can see how that could partly excuse the lack of content argument answer given by Blizzard. But let’s not go overboard and say Blizzard provided it for free.

• Brun says:

“For free.” ;-). Perhaps it should read “for no additional charge.” Really it’s for the cost of the subscriptions.

• Tomac says:

But will this “free” stuff matter when everyone else is level 90 and you choose not to buy the expansion leaving you alone at level 85?

19. Moraven says:

The big difference from GW is the inclusion of the real money exchange from the start. They will want their game to be enjoyable to retain people month to month so that some might put additional money into it.

I do like the idea of paying once and you can play as you please, taking a month off and able to come back with no additional payment.

20. deimonian says:

Honestly, I wouldn’t have bought Guild Wars 2 if there had been a subscription fee.

With subscription games it feels like I have an obligation to play everyday for a certain amount of time to get my moneys worth. It feels like work when you feel like you’re obligated to play.
    With Guild Wars 2, I paid just once, so I play when ever I feel like it, and it gives me time to play other games without ‘losing’ money or time doing so. Oh, and work, I have time for that too.

21. Brun says:

Well-deserved success, IMO. A lot of people complain that it’s too similar to WoW, and has just been “dressed up” enough to make it feel different, but you seem to forget that people said the same thing about WoW when comparing it to Everquest. It’s quite rare that successful products come from completely unique and new ideas, especially in an industry as mature as video games today.

The biggest and most noticeable difference to me is the combat – especially in Dungeons. The emphasis on situational awareness is exceptionally high, much higher even than in Vanilla WoW. It’s usually detrimental to build for straight damage and try to pump out as much DPS as possible – support and hybrid-y builds are extremely useful and most fights require you to focus more on avoiding attacks than pumping out DPS. That alone sets GW2 apart from most of its predecessors.

• FriendlyFire says:

Thing is, a lot of people think the combat feels too much like WoW, which couldn’t be further from the truth, because they’ve watched a few videos or played the game a bit.

The combat appears simple at first glance, with only 10 skills on your bar and some “gimmicks” on the F keys. For the first few levels, it’s fairly simple. Then you get weapon switching. Then you get utility skills. Then you get traits.

Honestly, I did not really come to realize the complexity and challenge of the combat system until roughly level 40. There’s a lot more to it than is apparent at first glance, and it’s worth giving it time to grow on you.

• Brun says:

Indeed. One of my complaints about the game is that the questing, dynamic events, and solo combat don’t really do a great job of preparing you for the dungeons and high-level PvP. Those things *do* legitimately feel like combat in WoW as you’re mostly standing still mashing buttons to kill things (which was pretty representative of what combat was like in WoW raids as well). But approaching combat that way *will* get you killed in GW2 Dungeons. Walking into the first dungeon at level 30 can be quite frustrating because you aren’t expecting to have to dodge attacks and booby traps, manage your weapon switching, and actually moving around while doing DPS.

• FriendlyFire says:

I don’t know what class/level you’re playing, but I definitely need to dodge and roll and use my skills to maximum efficiency in order to even survive. My elementalist is a ton of fun to play, but survivability is close to nil, and that’s with a focus on toughness. Most enemies can kill me in a few shots if I’m not careful, so I’m always applying blinds and knockdowns and dodging out of the way and using blocks and all that.

It’s also why I need to take much more frequent breaks than in most games, as the level of attention required is really quite high. I have however noticed that classes like the warrior seem to have a much easier time around thanks to their huge health pool and heavy armor.

• Brun says:

I play a Necromancer, with Power / Healing Power traits and a petless build, using Dagger+Dagger and a Staff. The Healing Power trait tree basically focuses on Health Siphoning (and boosts my Vitality) so I self-heal quite a bit when using daggers, which makes soloing quite easy unless I’m taking on particularly challenging mobs. Necromancers also have several “oh sh*t” buttons (Death Shroud and Lich Form) so survivability is good.

When soloing (up to level 50 so far) against same-level mobs I find that I rarely *need* to dodge attacks – I can certainly avoid some damage by doing so but I self-heal enough and have a large enough health pool (and do enough damage) that I rarely worry about survival. Obviously that doesn’t apply in Dungeons where many attacks will one-shot you if they aren’t dodged.

• DiTH says:

Yeah.The tactics needed for proper combat in WvW are really something special.Sure u can smash buttons around and see numbers thinking that you are doing something correctly but there is a lot more going on in combat that is more important than button smashing.

I wonder how many people will manage to last through the whole game to reach the point that they will see this and not quit early with the “Combat is like WoW” reason

• Brise Bonbons says:

My biggest complaint is that the combat doesn’t really push you early on, leading to a lot of people getting this impression it’s easy or mindless.

Then suddenly the difficulty spikes and folks start complaining that they die all the time. I just wish they threw a bit more at you before level 15 – if it’s too hard, you can always go to lower level areas and fight easier monsters until you figure things out.

• Struckd says:

in some of the starter areas i agree…but in most I completely disagree, wayfarer and snowden. Those were quite testing areas…its were I learnt to manage my endurance…cause i was dodging too much, and using conditions to their full effectiveness…

However i found plains of ashford and queensdale much easier…except for the giant champion mobs…those things are quite insane

• Ragnar says:

I’m glad to hear that the combat improves, but I’m sad that you don’t get to see the fun and interesting combat until lvl 30. By the time my elementalist was lvl 7, I was already bored to tears of the combat.

Also, Vanilla WoW required next to no situational awareness. Only C’Thun in AQ40 and the later parts of Naxx required you to mind your surroundings, and most people never saw them. BC, on the other hand, introduced it from the very first raids and dungeons, and I’ve been told that Wrath required even more.

22. Kaiji says:

I’m glad to hear GW2 is such a success. It may well be more of the same but Arenanet have definitely gone overboard to release it at a level of polish that says they respect their paying customers, which is curiously rare for a AAA MMO.

I won’t be buying it because I feel like Neo in the Matrix now whenever I play an MMO. The mechanics are too shallow, uninteresting and transparent.

Currently addicted to Path of Exile hardcore league where character building has a nice depth and I can’t just immediately jump back on my feet like a toddler being helped back up by Daddy if I die.

23. jack4cc says:

I guess people are now seeing MMOs as just another another type of game that you might play for a month or so and that’s it, instead of building their lives around them.

24. Groove says:

“A one-time fee for a ‘lifetime’ of the game is certainly an intriguing offer, and it’ll be fascinating to see how many pundits now declare that this is the only way for MMOs to go”

I saw the original GW then I was consistently amazed every MMO since didn’t follow the model.

A subscription and F2P are both really stressful. A subscription either feels like amazing value (if you’re young and can play for 8 hours a day and all your gaming needs are covered for 25p a day) or terrible value (if I go 1 week without playing I feel like the whole fee was a waste and I’ve been ripped off). With F2P I spend the whole time waiting for the other shoe to drop and ruin the experience, which is inevitably does. B2P seems like the only sensible way.

And to answer the question, probably. I’ve always been really excited about the game, but how can I say how much of that excitment would have been squashed by a sub? It’s hard to look back over 3 years and reshape it all.

25. Jimbo says:

Think everybody expected this to sell quite well didn’t they? I’m sure they’ll keep the extra content coming thick and fast, which is where they’ll hope to make their money. They can also make money from the ‘pay to uncripple mechanic x’ microtransactions.

• f1x says:

All mechanics can be “uncrippled” with a non-paying way,
      it just slower as paying is : instant
      But XP boosts can be done crafting food, (some are not as strong but still), and you can buy gems with in-game gold, which at a high level would allow you to easily unblock pretty much everything without spending much time,
      but you mean they make money with that aswell: definitely yes, I’ve seen lots of people with cosmetic sets from the gem store on the first days so definitely, paid with cash

To the other part of your post: Yes, they will release an expansion probably december/beginning of next year, thats where they make their major “money boost”

• Grygus says:

I like this game very much, but disagree. How do you unlock more inventory space in-game? How do you get more character slots? There are very good things to have that can only be obtained through the store. They aren’t game-breaking, but they do exist, and saying that the underlying mechanic is “crippled” is fair (five total characters is very low for an MMO; most games allow more than that per server.)

• General Twinkletoes says:

While you can only get those through the store, you can buy gems with gold for a very reasonable price. Everything in the gem store is fairly easy to get through spending time in the game.

• f1x says:

I agree with the characther slot, thats some annoying thing,

but for the rest, inventory space is not a problem, crafting 10 slots bags is quite easy at lower levels, plus with the “deposit collectible” feature you get infinite space for the crafting stuff
          the bank is a bit limited, but again unless you want to save a lot of useless low level items, there is not much that you need to put in there

Overall, I tend to look at it with good eyes, is clearly designed to say: “you can unlock this easily if you level up, or you can pay to unlock it right now” but in the long run aint really breaking the game for those who dont pay (because we do pay, for the box) and thats the most important thing

26. vipyr says:

If GW2 had a $50 a month subscription fee, I would pay it. Not because I could, but because the game is that incredible. Thats my 2 cents.

27. Dominic White says:

Did I buy GW2? Yes
    Is it a great game? Yes
    Have I gotten a good 80 hours of play out of it already? Yes
    Would I have bought it if it had a subscription? No. Not unless there was no box cost.

I like being able to pick up a game for a few hours on my own terms, without worrying about being quietly bled dry because I forgot to un-subscribe. I’ve never been the kind to play a game for months (or even weeks) on end. There’s always something new and interesting to check out, so I really don’t like the idea of subscriptions.

Fears that the in-game cash-shop would divide players between Haves and Have-Nots have been crushed by the trading post. You can get $10 of cash-shop gems for a little over 1 gold at the moment, and you can earn 1 gold in an hour of play – maybe less, if you’re in the right spot. I plan on getting a full set of character and bank slot upgrades for my account soon. Good value.

28. takfar says:

I don’t think they’ll have any problem covering their costs. Huge sales of the game are certainly going to help, but then the buying of gems with real money to unlock more character slots, bank space, and cosmetic items is going to net them a very good amount of cash, too. I have personally bought the digital deluxe edition (80 dollars), and then proceeded to spend another 50 dollars on character slots and bank space. I might buy more bank space in the future, and I’ll certainly buy whatever expansions they launch.

• Dominic White says:

The funny thing is that you can get all the Digital Deluxe perks in just a few hours of play.

• wengart says:

I plan to trade gold for gems for most of my purchases, but I know I’m going to buy at least a few things with real money. Essentially I feel like I owe ArenaNet a tip.

• takfar says:

Oh, absolutely. The Digital Deluxe is hardly “worth it”, money-wise. I bought it because I loved GW1, and really believed in what Anet is doing with GW2. Also, Deluxe does get an extra skill which is unique and, at least so far, is unavailable through other means.

29. aliksy says:

GW2 is now one of my favorite games of all time. They threw out a lot of MMO garbage, and made the first MMO where seeing other people is a good thing.

No subscription fee means I can play it like crazy now, then take a break for borderlands2 and torchlight2 without feeling like I’m wasting my sub time/money.

There’s a fair amount of high level content in Orr and that frostgorge place, plus the dungeons and world pvp. I expect that they’ll add stuff like GW1′s underworld and fissure of woe at some point to keep people going.

But given there’s like 8 very different character classes and 5 (?) very different races, with a huge world, I don’t expect I’ll be disappointed with the game before new content comes out.

• cyrenic says:

“They threw out a lot of MMO garbage, and made the first MMO where seeing other people is a good thing.”

That really is the best feature of the entire game. There’s some amazingly effective game design in regards to cooperation. Resurrecting other players and shared resource nodes being the two that jump immediately to mind.

30. Miltrivd says:

If this had a suscription model, I wouldn’t have bought, is that simple. The reason I bought wasn’t only all the innovation, but that I didn’t have to pay to play. I got lot of stuff to do, and many games that I like, if everytime I don’t play an MMO I feel like I’m wasting money, then I won’t spend on it to begin with.

31. Carra says:

I’d probably have bought it and played a ton for one month, two tops. More than, probably not, no game but WoW managed to do that.

I’m glad to see GW2 doing well, it’s a great mmorpg, it’s the best one I’ve played since WoW.

32. Ragnar says:

I will probably never pay for a subscription game again. Maybe it’s just me, but with a subscription game I feel pressure to play it at every opportunity, since otherwise I feel that I’m not getting the most value out of my investment. It’s like going to an all you can eat buffet, where you feel that you have to stuff yourself to maximize your investment.

I’d rather buy a $15 game and never play it than pay a $15 subscription fee and feel like I have to play it.

33. kevmscotland says:

I bought GW2. I have also paid for some of the in game content using their store, such as the extra character slot.

Normally I wouldn’t do this, but I found the fact I wasn’t paying a subscription fee already made it easier for me to justify paying for this service.

As such, they have already made more revenue from myself on top of my purchase price, and I suspect this is probably the same of others.

34. Suits says:

GW2 with subscription model, would not have been called Guild Wars

35. Enikuo says:

I don’t think I would have bought it if it had a subscription. I can certainly afford to pay for a subscription, but then I feel obligated to play X number of hours each week. I hate that.

That said, my play time in Guild Wars 2 is looking like a full time work schedule – I’m having that much fun.

36. Kemayo says:

Probably not, especially since MoP is coming out so soon. Since I see myself keeping my WoW subscription active for the foreseeable future, any other sub game will be a really tough sell.

37. Arglebargle says:

Wouldn’t have bought it at all, if NCSoft had closed down City of Heroes five days sooner.

My personal rule is only one MMO subscription at a time, so I probably wouldn’t have gotten GW2 at the beginning, had it had one.

Arenanet deserves many kudos for wonderful world and art design, developing their own interesting milieux without all the usual tropes, and stocking it to the brim with cool stuff. They’ve also done a good job getting rid of some pretty stale mechanics. They’ve come up with their own takes on things, or adapted ideas from other games.

Probably still wouldn’t have gotten the subscription buy though without loads of research or a demo.

38. goettel says:

100 hours in, just barely scratched its surface with 24% world complete, and haven’t done any PvP yet.

After WoW burnout and trying about seven other MMO’s, all of which were abysmal to distinctly meh, the sheer quality and quantity of content in GW2 is staggering, the combat is a blast, exploration is amazing, community spirit has been a breath of fresh air after years of having to deal with angry kids to get anything done.

GW2 is carrying the genre’s flag forward, and there isn’t any competition current or on the horizon that I’m aware of. It does compare with WoW, but comparisons with WoW are just not on-level (no pun) – GW2 has evolved passed that stage, and there finally seems to be a bright future ahead for the genre again.

/rant off, now excuse me, I gots me some exploring to do.

Edit: to answer the question post-rant though: yes, I would definitely sub to it, because I want to play it. I already spent 30 euro’s on gems, to unlock bank/inventory slots and stuff like that, and -ANet’s investors prick up their ears – I ENJOYED spending cash on it, becasue I do, at the end of the day, really want to throw my wallet at the people who evidently and obviously worked their damned asses off to deliver us from mehdom.. raaaaant / off..

39. Streambeta says:

I would NOT have bought GW2 if it had a subscription model. I know a lot of people that feel the same, how pretty much ALL mmos of the past have NEVER been worth playing because of 2 things. Those 2 things are Grind and Subscription.

Imo, if an MMO can meet those 2 requirements then it is not worth playing and a terrible game. Guild Wars 2 actually gives people who hate those 2 reasons a chance to actually play an MMO and actually like it.

40. Grygus says:

I have talked a few friends into buying the game using the argument that leveling up is fun, so even if they buy it and hate the end-game, they’ll get their money’s worth now and be able to come back for free should the end-game ever be changed to appeal to them more; kind of a win-win scenario that you can’t have with a subscription model.

41. ashario says:

I’m having an absolute ball playing this game.
    - love the way crafting isnt a huge time sink (make 10 of one item and each one after the first takes less time)
    - love those waypoints (no pointless trekking back and forth, or waiting for your ‘recall’ ability to cool down)
    - love the dodge mechanic. I admit I am generally rubbish at twitch skills but even I have worked out dodge is an important skill to at least become vaguely competent in
    - love the way that resource nodes are per player (no more ninja mining)
    - love the way the quests are are related to an area and you dont have to click on an NPC to begin the quest
    - love the way that mob kills are shared. No more frustration when you clear an area and are about to kill the ‘boss mob’ only for someone else to come in and tag it first

Overall I am really enjoying this game much more than any of the other MMOs I have tried over the past few years. I’ll qualify my comments by admitting I dont get into PvP at all, so I cant comment on that aspect of the game.

42. fish99 says:

Would I have bought it if there had been a subscription fee?

No chance. I’m yet to see an MMO that’s worth the subscription fee. Maybe if you’re an addict/nolifer who plays them 10+ hrs per day, every day, they’re worth the money, but they’re not for me. I probably average between 1 and 2 hrs gaming per day.

No sub was a major reason I bought GW2.

43. Caiman says:

No I would not have bought the game with a subscription fee. Ongoing fees have a way of making me feel like I should be playing the game constantly otherwise it’s sitting there being paid for without being used. I hate that pressure. With GW2 I can leave it for a week, for a month, whatever, and it hasn’t cost me anything other than the initial outlay which I was fully prepared to pay.

The game itself is excellent. I’m north of 100 hours on it now, all of it with a single character (Charr) whose voice acting and storyline is clearly better than some of the others from what I’ve seen! But what makes the game is not its storyline, but the fact it’s a huge treasure-trove full of awesome stuff to do. Combat is enormous fun which really is what counts, it’s active and requires a hell of a lot more than the tedious WoW button sequence. The way that quests work is so much more interesting, you end up getting sidelined into all kinds of interesting encounters you might have missed, and there’s nothing better than seeing a scrap happening in the distance and being able to simple run up to it and join in without having to go through the tedious notion of talking to the right guy to find the right quest, and then complete the preliminary steps before you can get to the interesting part. Screw all that, just join in the fun no matter what’s happening. It’s awesome. And that’s before you get to the WvW stuff which, with an organised guild, is perhaps the most MMO fun I’ve ever had.

44. Struckd says:

“long as they can sustain interest until the first paid-for add-on appears.”

just would like to direct you to this very recent post put up by one of the more known devs of the game

heres the link :) https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Guild-wars-2-content-update/first#post86706

and heres part of the post:
    “No need to buy them, Gw2 will feature consistent free content updates and in-game events going forward. Our goal is to make it so you get more from Gw2 for free than you get from a game you pay a subscription for.”

thats not so say they WONT have content you need to pay for, in forms of expansion packs or such. But otherwise it looks like alot of the continuously patched content, will indeed be free

45. OuterCrow says:

Amazing to see what a strong marketing campaign and hype engine will get you. A shiny MMO for the Angry Birds/COD generation. Good for you, NCSoft.

(Yes, I’ve played it. No, I’m not interested in slow motion running, spam bot combat, shallow character customization, tired fantasy setting and saving some fucking farmer’s crop for the millionth time.)

Oh how I wish that SWTOR was worth a damn.

• Nick says:

huh, I thought you said you had played it, because you sure as shit aren’t describing gw2

• jrodman says:

Some of the activity and setting stuff is cliche, but the other aspects seem off the mark to me. “Slow motion running” is just bizarre.

46. Naithin says:

Would I have purchased if it had a sub as well?

Hmm. Having a sub isn’t a deal breaker for me, I’ve been playing sub based MMOs since Asheron’s Call 1, but I must confess to being somewhat worn down on them now.

Having no sub made impulse buying GW2 that much easier; as rightly pointed out, it is like purchasing an MMO with a ‘free’ lifetime subscription and that is rather appealing, knowing that you can drop in and out at whim to check on updates whenever desired without cracking open the wallet again.

If a subscription element was present it’s entirely likely I wouldn’t have preordered and would have instead taken much more of a wait and see approach, potentially even with the good reviews then adopting a, ‘It’ll go on sale at some point’ view and waiting for that.

Until quite recently I suppose I was much more willing to make Day 1 purchases at full retail, but with the increasing commonness of $60 USD price point (or occasionally $80 or even $90 USD price point for the AU/NZ region) my threshold has been reached and unless a game is looking to be exceptional, I’ll just wait for a price drop or steam sale.

Case in point, Batman Arkam City came out at a whopping $89.90 USD for NZ/AU, now down at $29ish USD for the GoTY edition on steam. May end up picking it up at this price, but even now tempted to wait for a sale. ;)

47. Crosmando says:

I’ve got understood or “got” what the big deal with MMO’s is. I just don’t understand how spending your time and money on something you will never own, and will eventually die and never be playable again, is desirable. The turn-over rate in the MMO market is staggering, old MMO’s die and new one’s rise, and because they are always online when they do die you’ll never be able to play them again, no matter the time you spent building your character in the game, or the money you spent on subscription fees or the like. Just the concept of the always-online DRM inherent in all MMO’s, that lack of personal ownership of your own copy of the game which you own forever, turns me off, when I pay for a game I want to own it for good, not just for however long it remains popular.

I also don’t understand the “social” argument for MMO’s, are you seriously telling me you’d rather read the immersion-breaking text of some 14-year old moron gamer, than the text of an NPC that is well-written by a professional writer, something who’s job it is to write?

• jrodman says:

Well i think the issue is some people don’t want to be immersed, they want to “hang out”. I’m with you though.

48. Flank Sinatra says:

I’m loving this game so far and I’ve definitely gotten my 60 USD worth. My only complaint so far is with the tiny amount of bank space they give you at the start. I’m playing 2 characters right now, with 2 crafts each, and the shared bank instantly became stuffed with crafting sub-components and gear. I ended up buying gems for double the bank space before I even hit level 10. I’ve since started a third alt and I’m probably going to buy another bank expansion tonight.
    I don’t mind it that much, though. It makes crafting a little more challenging and managing inventory space is part of RPGs like this… a sort of a mini-game in itself. And I probably would have spent the money on a subscription fee anyway…maybe. It just feels like the game requires you to buy extra bank space from the start. Especially if you are an alt-a-holic and crafting junkie like me.

49. Azovyr says:

As cool and fun as this game is I still prefer WoW, I find it to still be the best MMO even after all these years. It’s the mistress that hurts me but I keep coming back for more. These days playing WoW is practically considered a crime though… sorry WoW haters!

50. cassus says:

I would have bought GW2 even if there was a subscription, yes. But it would have taken away from my enjoyment of the game. I now have an RPG I can play whenever I want, which is awesome. Reason I’d buy it even if there was a subscription is that Guild Wars 2 is the first mmo that’s come out for YEARS that hasn’t been just a pile of hot garbage. GW2 is an amazing game that does so many things right. Hard to fault them on anything, really. Right game, right business model = big sales.