Play Computer Games With The RPS Community!

By Jim Rossignol on September 13th, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

Games!
RPS readers might spend quite a lot of their time reading, but they spend even more time playing games. Many of them even play multiplayer games, and you can join in. The centre for activity is over here on the forum, where threads for organisation of gaming abound. There are Guild Wars 2 guilds going on, and a thread for Planetside 2 outfits of various factions. Other regulars include Tribes Ascend and Arma 2. But there’s plenty more going on besides. It’s important to remember that there’s a community-run Mumble server which can be used for most games. There’s a billion channels on there, so if you need voice comms to get something organised you might as well hop in.

__________________

« | »

1. Morlock says:

What’s happening on the Day Z front? Haven’t played for at least a month, and never played with RPSers.

• purdz says:

At one point there were a load of us playing DayZ, easily enough for two good sized groups to run around. It was great fun, had some of the best DayZ times with the RPS crew.

There are still a few people playing but not regularly, most of us are waiting for the standalone to come out again and we will be back on.

In the meantime I’m playing minecraft again on the uRPS server and idling frequently in the minecraft mumble channel.

• Mr Wonderstuff says:

Yea I was part of the group until I got a bit bored…had some great times with the team including Purdz (or Snipes as he is known). I think the fact that some players jumped onboard with the Lingor map cut the group in two didn’t help. Will wait until the standalone version is released before I jump back in.

2. iGark says:

I’m playing the really-want-preorder-XCOM-but-never-predordered-anything-before game, plus the -really-want-to-play-Fallout-New-Vegas-but-have-to-do-schoolwork game.

And also beat Assassin’s Creed. That was a lame ending.

3. Tom De Roeck says:

Why do you always forget about the perps! WE STILL LOVE YOU, ZWISS!

4. mrwout says:

Will probably be joining the RPS Guild Wars 2 guild tomorrow. That is if they don’t stop selling the game all of a sudden at the exact moment I want to purchase it, again…

5. Revolving Ocelot says:

No Borderlands 2 thread? Harrumph! If I actually had a forum account and a reasonable number of posts, I’d make a topic myself, but right now that would just be presumptuous of me.

6. Skeletor68 says:

Join Rock, Paper, Sandvich on Steam for Team Fortress 2 games on Mondays and Thursdays. Airtekh may be along with more details. I joined as a complete noobie and have had lots of fun since.

7. Shortwave says:

A great way to bring people together.
    Honestly I never realized their was an epic mumble server.
    I can easily communicate with all the random, scary strangers who may or may not think I’m a nutter.
    I’ll give it a shot.. Thanks for the reminder.

I’ve been trying to build a community on one of the websites I’m a part of.
    It’s really quite difficult sometimes!

8. Morlock says:

Installed Fallout 3 with the FWE (Fallout Wanderers’ Edition) mod. It’s supposed to be an ultra-hardcore mod which changes pretty much every game mechanic. Really looking forward to giving this a spin later today.

• CaspianRoach says:

A tip: Work towards Silent Running perk. Helps immensely.

• baby snot says:

I got carried away installing mods. Take my advice, pick one or two and that’s it. Do not try to become a FOMM master. It is a black, black hole.

• sinister agent says:

FWE is excellent. I’d suggest a handful of other mods to complement it, but they’re not that necessary – FWE itself makes the game vastly better, and often terrifying. Especially if you’re really hard on yourself.

• Morlock says:

What are your suggestions? I only have Project Beauty HD to go with it so far. And of course Darn UI.

How much sense does it make to pick one of the alternative starts (e.g., as member of a faction)? I would like to always have the option to progress on the main quest…am I right to assume that this would not be possible or simply weird?

• sinister agent says:

I generally stick with this lot, plus one or two other very minor tweaks that aren’t really important. I also did something to increase all combat damage (on top of FWE’s changes), but I can’t remember what arcane combination of mods I used to do it with. FWE gives you lots of options anyway, though.

As for the alternative starts, I can’t really tell you to be honest – I like to play it as a ridiculously dangerous, uphill struggle, even setting up characters so that I’ll be priced out of buying most useful items, so even going into the city is borderline suicidal, main quest or not. I’ve not even finished the main quest in vanilla, actually – I’ve yet to bother getting far into a Bethesda main storyline.

I did play around as a raider once though, that was a lot of fun.

• Dominic White says:

I really wouldn’t describe FWE as super-hardcore. It makes the game more of a straight RPG/FPS blend ala STALKER, rather than an RPG with a pseudo-FPS combat engine. I find combat using FWE faster and more intuitive.

The New Vegas version of it, Project Nevada, is infinitely more polished, stable and consistent.

• sinister agent says:

I’m guessing you haven’t tried playing it with everything set to “absurdly hard”. You should try it sometime, it’s quite sadistic.

9. Berzee says:

Sadly all the games I’m playing right now are single player. Someday I will get sociable again =)

10. ChainsawHands says:

The Divisions of Death are about to start a new season if anyone wants to play Blood Bowl (greatest of all the bowls).

11. sinister agent says:

RPS people! Get yourselves on Air Buccaneers! It’s wonderfully balanced to reward co-operation without demanding that you come in knowing everyone already, have and use a microphone, or even talk all that much.

Also it’s loads of fun, and free.

• brulleks says:

After the Indie sale on Gamersgate I’m sure there must be quite a few of us with Air Buccaneers now.

Is there any way to organise a meet in-game other than by, you know, actually having to be really organised and all that?

• sinister agent says:

Not that I’m aware of. But I’ve yet to see more than 30-50 players online, tops, enough for two big games, and there are only four or five servers, so it shouldn’t be hard to find people if they’re on. You only need about seven or eight for a game to work, and barring the terminally doltish, most randoms are fine to play with.

Steam chat might be a good place to start, though I don’t know whether the regulars play it or not.

12. Bodge says:

It is worth mentioning that you should join the RPS steam chat group and ask in there. It is also the place to find admins for Mumble and Arma 2.

• MrWeed says:

Indeed. You always forget to mention that.
      Lots of people hang around there on a regular basis and it’s a great place to organise sessions for those more obscure games.

13. Xerian says:

Remember to stop by the unofficial RPS Minecraft server and take a sight-seeing trip! We’re a bunch of gentle, excellently excellent blokes, and we recently expanded our map! The server utilises a whitelist, so you wont be able to modify any blocks, but you *can* join and walk about, have a chat and have a look at our many builds. Getting whitelisted is easy though, all the necessary info is in the first few posts in our thread. Hope to see some newcomers! :]

http://bit.ly/UONAY4 <– A link to the forum-thread, and heres a link to our real-time dynamic map – Its badass!: http://bit.ly/RUlg6K

Oh and sorry for the bot-like bit.ly links, but I have no idea how to shorten the links with the current comment-system ._.'

14. beema says:

Anybody on here playing Red Orchestra 2? That’s the only multiplayer game I’m doing at the moment. Until BLands 2 comes out.

15. HexagonalBolts says:

There are two RPS DOTA 2 groups running, come join us!

Rock, DOTA, noob is for total beginners. Join us on steam and message other players (or me), write a comment on the page or join in with an event if you fancy a friendly game and some help with learning. We use the RPS mumble, have plenty of 5 v public games every day and regular 5v5 matches for all experience levels. If you’ve not yet played I can also provide a DOTA invite as long as you give out the invites you receive to more people wanting to join the community.

There’s also the main RPS DOTA group which seems to be for more experienced players (generally seem to be levels 10-12+) who we still play with plenty as well:

16. Fumarole says:

The Frozen Synapse league has recently upgraded to Dark Charge in case Dark Extermination was what was holding people back form joining. Come shoot rodeo in the face, he likes it!

17. D0zer says:

Ok, Sweet. I love playing MechWarrior Online (that’s me saying we should all go blow mechs up.).

18. RubyW says:

In these days, I spend more time reading RPS than playing video games.

19. banski83 says:

Is there an RPS corporation in Eve Online, I’d like to enquire? Recently got back into the game about a month ago, but thanks to real world obstacles like a job and stuff, I’m not looking to join a hardcore corp.

Do we have one, with a few familiar faces in it?

• Sweatypitts says:

There is a corporation “RPS Holdings”, we’re currently a small gang PVP corporation that’s new player friendly. As for “familiar faces”, I’m not quite sure, as most of the active guys that are here have been here about a year or so but we do occasionally have some older players, even some from StateCorp log on.

Join “RPS Community” if you have any questions!

20. Dragon Master says:

Is there, per chance, any Bloodline Champions RPS groups? Come on, it’s such a great game…

21. m0ntag says:

And don’t forget to pop into the Steam RPS Group chat! We’re a lovely bunch. We don’t bite…often. But, really, it’s great for organising sessions on the fly, chatting with some great people, and just an all around fun place to be.

22. Hyoscine says:

“RPS readers might spend quite a lot of their time reading, but they spend even more time playing games.”

Man, I wish. Stupid parenthood.

23. Chris says:

How does one join the RPS GW2 guild?