‘Experience’ Dishonored Without Experiencing Dishonored

By Nathan Grayson on September 14th, 2012 at 8:00 am.

Have you ever tried to explain your favorite game to a friend or family member who just didn’t get it? Did you then decide – for some reason – to do it partially in French? That’s the idea behind the latest in Dishonored‘s development documentary series, but thankfully with slightly more subtitles than real life. Also, heaps of gameplay footage, which is always nice. It’s Arkane’s attempt to paint a moving, talking, stabbing, rat-based-time-bomb-creating picture of Dishonored’s “experience.” But does it succeed? I’ll let you be the judge. But just this once.

So, in short, kill whenever you want, wherever you want. Or don’t kill anyone at all ever anywhere. You can do anything, basically. Well, short of the things you can’t do.

The best bits of the documentary, though, (aside from the French) come when Harvey Smith and Raph Colantonio discuss tricks players pulled off when the developers were certain there was nothing up their sleeves. I mean, I’d heard about the ability to break a multi-story fall by possessing someone, but it’s still pretty neat that some random player figured it out in the middle of a tense do-or-die situation. And the mobile rat grenade? Well, that’s just evil.

So right then, it’s out in a month. A torturous, awful month during which even the sunniest of days won’t be able to pierce the impatience-born gloom cloud over my head. I should probably stop watching these documentaries, too, seeing as spoiling the entire game for myself is beginning to look like a very real possibility – especially if Bethesda keeps releasing new episodes, er, every other day.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. SuperNashwanPower says:

Indeed. There are only so many times you can be told that you can possess a rat before studying your belly button fluff becomes more interesting.

The game will be incredible, this has been safely communicated. Now please release this game and shut down the over-serious-film-advert-o-tron. Ta.

• JackShandy says:

I hear people say this about a lot of ad campaigns, and – ads are made for people who don’t know what the game is. If you do know what the game is there is no reason why you should be watching the ads.

There is more internet, you know. There’s no reason why you need to look at this specific bit of it.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

A SMALL RED AND WHITE PUPPET MAN HAS WIRED ME TO MY COMPUTER AND I MUST WATCH ALL ADS OR THE CONTRAPTION WILL SHUT

• dee says:

Speak for yourself. My navel fluff is incredible

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I BET its blue. It is, isn’t it. All belly fluff is blue. Even if you’re wearing red.

• povu says:

Hey guys I just heard you can possess a fish and use it to get into places! Wow! News!

• SkittleDiddler says:

Any enthusiasm I once had for Dishonored is pretty much tempered now. The amount of advertising that Bethesda have been doing for this game is highly dubious, especially considering the fact that Beth’s track record with this kind of shotgun marketing will most likely lead to another Skyrim-level disappointment for me.

• ResonanceCascade says:

They seem to be erring on the side of caution when it comes to expressing what this game is. I don’t blame them, for months after the announcement, gamers were saying things like “oh, so it’s an open-world Assassins Creed game in first person” or “Oh, so it’s a Bioshock clone.”

• Haxavier says:

And other downright cringe-worthy comparisons like “A combination of TF2 and Skyrim!”

• SkittleDiddler says:

That all could have been easily cleared up with a few simple press releases combined with a handful of simple multimedia presentations. Instead, we get weekly updates that reek of redundant over-analyzing. I’ve seen absolutely everything I need to know about the game, to the point that finally playing it will feel like reliving every damned demo video they’ve offered to the media.

The approach that contemporary video game publishers take to this kind of marketing makes the “cautious consumer” part of my brain feel like it’s having an aneurysm.

• DonDrapersAcidTrip says:

Well uh, you don’t have to watch all this stuff you know? You could of stopped at the moment you were sure you were going to play the thing, like I did, which was after the first video I ever saw of the game.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Ah, DonDrapersAcidTrip, I’m already at that point. I stopped reading these Dishonored articles a while ago. That won’t stop me from commenting on them, however.

• Zedek says:

While it’s generally good to have that sort of mindset imo, I don’t think you will be disappointed at all.

You have the man that designed Half Life’s environment, you have the studio that created Dark Messiah, and some of the developers of Deus Ex: HR. It’s going to be GREAT.

That being said, these *repetative* videos have taken the monkey off my back. Which I actually kind of appreciate. However, I’m still very much looking forward to the game. I hope the combat is as good as Dark Messiah’s.

2. Haxavier says:

My fingers are crossed so hard I’m breaking them.

If this game is anywhere near as good as I’m anticipating it needs to win some kind of GOTY. We need more of…THIS in the AAA industry. Originality, fearless gameplay mechanics, willingness to risk single-player only to enhance quality, et cetera.

• El_Emmental says:

We should make a website where people would vote “What’s going to fail in this upcoming game ?”, and people would vote on their main concerns/most probable failed element – because there’s no such things as a good AAA game, it is not possible… right ?
      *I-want-to-believe*

• The Random One says:

I would join that website. I would get all the bad things right and be totally smug before I cried myself to sleep.

3. Maritz says:

Why oh why oh why does this have to come out on the same day as XCOM?

• Boothie says:

You think thats bad? im expecting Torchlight 2, Borderlands 2 and WarZ beta on the same day, me and my friends are clueless on what to play first

4. zeroskill says:

I love what Arkane is doing with this I have to admit. I was a bit dissapointed the cooperation between Valve and Arkane never came to a satisfying conclusion, whether it be with The Crossing or Return To Ravenholm.

Also Viktor Antonov doesn’t seem to have lost his touch when it comes to designing environments.

Looking forward to this.

5. YourMessageHere says:

“a multi-story fall”

I think you mean multi-storey. That way it makes sense.

6. BestFriends4Ever says:

Can you possess a tall boy? How comes there’s never anything about that in a video? This must be a trap.