ArenaNet: Guild Wars 2 Takes The ‘End’ Out Of Endgame

By Nathan Grayson on September 15th, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

Wait, they told me this is where I'd find the whale buffet. Well damn. This is awkward.

I am a shameful, loathsome creature. Unlike the rest of the world, I’m not even within awkward-glancing-because-you-think-it’s-someone-you-know-but-you’re-not-entirely-sure distance of Guild Wars 2‘s level cap yet. On some level, though, I think I only feel bad because other MMOs have taught me to feel bad. Moreso than just about any other MMO to date, ArenaNet’s latest gingerly ties the carrot to a stick, sets the treadmill on low (with only a bit of incline), and funnels a syrupy slick of smooth jazz through the loudspeakers. “Relax,” it says in a soothing growl. “Take your time.” And that, explains ArenaNet, was a very intentional design goal – which is why Guild Wars 2′s endgame, well, isn’t.

Some players might be a bit miffed that the tippity top peak of Guild Wars mountain isn’t all that different from the rest of it. But, in a new blog post, ArenaNet explained its reasoning.

“We didn’t want the endgame to be something you could only experience after a hundred hours of gameplay or after you reached some arbitrary number. We wanted it to be something that players got to experience every step along the way, spread out across the entire world of Tyria, so we’ve introduced game elements that you’d normally associate with ‘endgame’ at every level and every possible opportunity.”

“Sure, once your character reaches max level, we’ve created new and interesting ways to challenge you as a player, but we didn’t want to force you to master an entirely new subset of the game… As players reach the max level of 80, the dynamic events become larger, the battles more spectacular, the circumstances more dire. Each of the high-level maps in the corrupted land of Orr contain battles on a grand scale against Zhaitan’s forces, an epic war with shifting fortunes and frontlines.”

Don’t think, however, that ArenaNet’s attempting to talk its away around a lack of content. According to the developer, there’s plenty to do once you reach the end – it specifically listed dungeons’ explorable mode, heaps of giant world bosses, legendary crafting, and world completion (which doesn’t become a total cakewalk thanks to level scaling), among others – but now the stakes are much, much higher.

I like that philosophy a lot, too. I’ve never really understood the concept of endgames morphing into these unwieldy, inaccessible behemoths that require completely different skillsets than the rest of the game. You’re not cannon-balling into the deep end so much as you’re awkwardly falling off the diving board and belly-flopping with a sickening slap. Then it’s sink or swim for a while, until eventually you’re allowed to have fun again. That’s weird. ArenaNet’s approach, in my opinion, is a far more natural way of thinking about it.

Happily, there’s also apparently quite a bit more to look forward to. ”The launch of Guild Wars 2 is just the start. With the game now out in the hands of the players, we can focus our efforts to adding new types of events, new dungeons, new bosses, new rewards, and new places for players to explore,” the post concluded.

So hooray for guilds! And also hooray for wars, but only in this context. War in general – I have heard from a few people – is kind of a not-great thing.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Dominic White says:

‘Endgame’ is a terrible concept, and MMOs for the past decade or so have been built almost exclusively around it. The path to the level cap is a 100-hour tutorial, and then you get the ‘fun’ part, which is repeating the same five raid instances again and again in the vain hope of getting rare drops.

Yes, there are optional grinds in GW2, but they literally only get you rare equipment skins. Stat-maxed gear is very cheap and easily found. Unless you feel a horrible compulsion to be the prettiest princess, then you’ve got no reason to repeat things endlessly. Instead, you just play beacuse it’s fun and because there’s stuff you haven’t seen/done yet.

• Iceman346 says:

Stat maxed gear (80 Exotics) is actually neither easy to find nor cheap in GW2. I was hoping that that was the case but it just isn’t.
      There are basically 4 options of getting 80 exotics:
      - Crafting. Aside from the farming and time sink this usually involves for 80 exotics you need ectoplasm which you can get from harvesting 70+ rare items or buying it on the trading post which isn’t cheap.
      - WvW Badges: Probably the fastest way. ~250 Badges net you an 80 exotic, in 2 hours of WvW you can get about 10-30 of them, depending on the frequency of killing enemies. Downside is, that there is just one type of set available (power, toughness, vitality). If you want something else you’re out of luck.
      - Dungeon Badges: You get 15 or 20 (don’t remember exactly) badges for a complete explorable dungeon run and each piece costs ~250 badges. Have fun grinding!
      - Karma: These sets are available at Karma vendors in the various Orr highlevel zones. Each set costs 252.000 Karma. An 80 Event normally gives you 300-400 karma.

So yeah, getting stat maxed gear is quite a grind in GW2.

• Tacroy says:

Thing is though that nearly-stat-maxed gear is incredibly cheap and almost as good as the stat maxed stuff. The TP has level 79 equipment for a fraction of the price of level 80, and it’s got about 95% of the stats of the maxed out stuff.

• Iceman346 says:

79 Exotics are not that much cheaper on the TP than 80 exotics, even the price for lower exotics has risen quite a bit. I got to 80 with my main last weekend and I was able to buy a set of 74-78 exotics for about 2,5G, paying 40-55 Silver per item. At this moment exotics in that level range are at about 75+ silver.

The advantage is, that lower level exotics have better stats than 80 rares (even 74 exotics already do) and you can still get them for a halfway decent price. But saying that stat maxed gear is cheap and easy to aquire is just plain wrong.

• Yanahma says:

You can complete maps to get random exotic armor, crafting is pretty easy and fast (Already mastered nearly 3 crafts), and earning gold and karma in game is a breeze, to spend on either exotic karma pieces or just buying stuff on the TP. I’m 90% of the way to having full level 80 exotic stats, and I’ve played 200 hours. Compare that to how much you have to put into WoW to get best stats, and then yes, it is very quick and easy to get best stats.

• Iceman346 says:

@Yanahma

Map completion is also a kind of grind ;) Additionally at least on my server quite a lot of the skillpoints in Orr are bugged and can’t be completed. So getting 100% is a no go. Granted this is something patches will fix but at the moment it hampers progress.

Crafting is just something I can’t endure, but thats a personal preference. Sitting in front of a crafting screen watching bars go up just is absolutely no fun for me. There are only 2 MMO crafting systems where I got to max so far. WoW because I was raiding quite hardcore in WotLK and the stat bonuses were a must and SWTOR because it was the most unintrusive und least grindy crafting system ever.

To earn gold and karma you basically have to do events. And getting the 252k karma for a full set requires 700+ events at level 80.

The grind might not be as bad as in WoW or similar titles. But there is quite a lot of it.

• Vorphalack says:

”Map completion is also a kind of grind ;)”

When you view playing the core game as a grind you should probably move on to something else.

• Iceman346 says:

Last I checked “You will explore maps! Hundreds of them!” was not one of the advertising blurbs of GW2. Map completion is not the core game, it’s deliberately going out of your way to find vista X or poi Z.

In regards to moving on: While the PvE in GW2 leaves much to be desired and is no where near as good or groundbreaking as the advertising wants you to believe the WvW actually is very well designed and the first decent large scale PvP implementation I have seen since DAoC. It still has some technical issues but I’m enjoying it quite a lot. Also as there are no monthly fees I can hardly cancel my account ;)

• Vorphalack says:

It’s not deliberately going out of your way at all. All the map completion points are within a few minutes of a heart event, which are the core of the pve no matter what you claim. As I said before, if you finding this sort of game play a grind, go and do something else. There is no point in rushing through and getting burned out.

• Utnac says:

@Vorphalack

Except that the core of the PvE is the events, not the hearts, it’s entirely possible to hit 80 having explored less than half the map and without having completed any zones, in which case going back to low level zones with their much smaller rewards and simpler events could very easily be seen as a grind.

• cocome6515 says:

If you say this: http://karldrinkwater.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/stories-in-games.html
            Finish the game before you blow it off that it’s all the same. I mean it literally takes 5-6 days to go from 1-80 lol.

• jrodman says:

It would seem far less grindy if you could get map completion across a number of characters.

To me, anyway.

• aliksy says:

It’s important to keep in mind that the “best” isn’t really a big leap from the second-best gear. Like maybe 10 stat points, which doesn’t translate into a big difference.

You’re not going to run into a situation where content is locked because your gear isn’t nice enough.

Hell, I went from 59 to 80 without updating a piece of armor I liked. Didn’t make a noticeable difference.

• Marth Reynolds says:

Actually you will, not perse of the 10 stat difference.
          But because of how dungeons & condition stacking work: (Mind you these are examples i know of, there’s bound to be far more out there)
          -CoF explorable requires to survive for x time on a certain path, healing power builds are very good here.
          -AC explorable & CoF explorable both have stages which are dps races, the longer it takes the more minions spawn and the more likely it is you’re going to fail.
          -Arah explorable requires a good health/defense minimum so the hared boss weakest attacks won’t 1hit everyone.
          -And condition dmg basically works only for 1 person at dynamic events.

Meaning you need to get a survival/healing power set, a power/precision/tough with vit set and a full out power/precision/crit dmg set.
          And of course there’s the explorer set as well which increase the amount of drops you get, not mandatory but some research suggests it at least triples your droprate.

Granted you can pick how to earn gold for it (Orr, frostgorge sound, map completion, wvw(not for win xp users) or dungeons) but it will take several weeks per character and personally this feels a whole lot like grind to me before i can properly enjoy dungeons.

• BluElement says:

So you list all of these different ways to gather the resources you need, and then continue to label it as “grinding”. Why don’t you just go ahead and say that playing video games is a grind and be done with it?

• Utnac says:

You’re overestimating the cost of crafting gear, get a friendly crafter in your guild to make it for you if you can’t be assed with crafting yourself (like me).

Even buying all the mats from the TP, it’s really no more than 10g or so for a full set of exotic armour with stats of your choice, which is not a lot of money.

• orcane says:

I’d argue 10g is still plenty of money at that stage of the game.

• Ateius says:

As of level 64, I’ve gathered slightly over 9 gold, not including expenses incurred for repairs and vendor craftings mats. I haven’t kept that 9 gold, because I’m not at all concerned about having super max stat gear at 80 and so kept converting it all into gems to buy bank/inventory/character space, but there’s nothing stopping me from saving that up and having well over 10g by level 80.

There are actually very few goldsinks in the game if you want to play it that way. As a warrior that forges my own armour and weapons, I only ever have to spend money for trait manuals (three one-time purchases), armour repair and vendor-only crafting mats. Everything else is pure profit.

• Utnac says:

I’d disagree, it’s a couple of days of focused play or a week of just doing anything productive, it pales in comparison to the hundreds of gold needed to make legendaries.

• Yuri says:

Stat min-maxing is the one element that eventually got completely and totally boring for me in any and all kinds of games.

Probably burned out after hundreds of hours in MMO’s, ARPG’s and various other games.

Nevermore stat-maxing, nevermore.

• Domino says:

I’m burned out myself having 100% map and world completion, all thats left is WvW (don’t get me started on that mess) followed by sPvP/tPvP lastly ‘farming’ the explorable dungeons.

I must say I’ve got my enjoyment out of it, but now is a time for a break from it – there is nothing to do other than what I’ve already stated, and leveling alts won’t make a difference because all the personal story quests are more or less the same past level 30.

Did I get my monies worth? Yes. So with various other games to keep me occupied, Borderlands 2 on the horizon being one of them it will make a nice change and coming back to GW2 with a fresh start to finish my legendary item when everyone else has already spent the time and money trying to figure out what remaining materials I need. I’m even tempted to go back to GW1 as I have plenty to do there.

• Carra says:

You had your money from it so that’s what counts.

Plenty of other games to play instead of doing nothing but GW2.

• mouton says:

Congratulations, you have finished the game! You can move on.

And the cool thing is, the game doesn’t really mind, it having no subscriptions.

• Dominic White says:

Really, if you’ve completed every single event as you go, and the game says that you have seen literally 100% of the world, then you’ve completed the game. It’s okay to stop now. There’s no subscription telling you to milk the game for everything it’s worth months on end. Stop playing, find something else, and maybe come back in a few months to see what new content and balance tweaks they’ve made.

2. Spengbab says:

Wars. Wars never changes. Except when it does. But this is a good change, I guess. Not that I play MMOs anymore.

Though pre-WotLK WoW definately had something going for it, when you were into the raid-thing, having the unwashed masses look upon your mighty tiered armorset. It did mean that the largest part of the game was just spent rushing through quests, zones and clownclothes, giving fuckall about the content. And the endgame was just gathering materials, waiting on others, rinse and repeat…

3. Lagwolf says:

Ah yes the infamous “wait until the level-cap then it gets fun” in response to being bored senseless at level 20.

• Gnoupi says:

I actually liked the approach of GW1 (more specifically present in the expansion packs): catapult the player to max level (20) in a matter of hours. Then the rest of the game is played like this. Everything is tailored for the max level. No need to grind and come back, it’s all a matter of team composition and skill.

4. Didden says:

As much as I’m loving Guild Wars 2 (And I’m loving it a LOT) I still sort of wish there were dedicated raid size instances, because that is a chance to focus on teamwork within the guild.

• Chris D says:

I think this is probably one of the things WvW is for.

• ElDaDeus says:

Yeah, that is I think one of the things they were going for with it, but it isn’t really a strong replacement. They also meant for world bosses at the end of meta chains to replace raid bosses, but when you get around to facing raid scale monsters, many times, you get to just man a turret to win and it really isn’t all that great — for instance, take Zhaitan, the most direct part of fighting him was while he clung to life and you spammed the turret, the end. I think the content is even more diminished that way than if you were to be in a huge group where maybe you aren’t necessarily making a noticeable difference. Maybe I am completely off base and no one else really feels this way, but from what I’ve seen so far, they either need to step up the PvE or they are going to lose a good portion of that player base to other games that simply have more to offer in that regard.

5. JD Ogre says:

Meh. GW2 endgame is three things:

1) PvP (with only a single match type and 3 maps)/WvWvW (ie, hoping you can reach your side’s zerg in time to get participation credit).
    2) Running dungeons over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over…
    3) Either wandering around randomly praying something actually happens OR fall in with a zerg, praying you get enough participation in the events their movements trigger to get even a bronze (I’ve been in several where, even if I’m constantly pounding away at enemies, not taking time out to rez players or anything else but fighting event-specific foes from start to finish where I’ve not gotten *anything*).

• Vorphalack says:

While I think you are mostly being unnecessarily negative, they really should give you participation credit for reviving people inside an event area. That would most defiantly not suck.

• AngoraFish says:

Yes, lack of credit for reviving people is something I’ve noticed as well and is a fairly jarring omission that needs fixing.

• Gnoupi says:

Participation for healing would be nice too. If you play a water elementalist, specializing in healing, you have to damage the enemy to actually get experience and event rewards. Group healing doesn’t count as assisting, apparently.

• Phantoon says:

Or in WvW, move with a small group, strategically hitting poorly defended areas and bolting before their zerg can respond.

Like Stonemist.

6. AngoraFish says:

Why is it that there are no actual guild wars in Guild Wars?

• Hoaxfish says:

If I remember correctly, Guild Wars is named after some event in the Lore called “the guild wars“.

• dE says:

Yeah but it also had actual guild wars. As in Guilds PVPing against each other.
        I guess in a way you still have that as guilds can claim structures in the WvW Areas for themselves. Some Guilds are doing nightshifts to have them permanently guarded.

• Vorphalack says:

Pretty sure they are going to add PvP tournaments again that will let guilds compete against other guilds.

• zeroskill says:

I want them to put GvG in like they had it pretty much in the first game. That was a ton of fun. Well maybe in the future.

• jamesgecko says:

The guild wars in Guild Wars were the best things. PvE was ok, the other sorts of PvP were passable. But at launch, the guild wars were where all the design decisions in the game came out and sang. It was so much fun.

Alas, it’s a quite a bit harder to experience them properly these days.

7. Tolkfan says:

Anyone remember the rage from a few months ago when Diablo 3 didn’t have a “sustainable endgame”? How many Guild Wars fans were among those raging I wonder :)

• Fincher says:

Was there ever much complaint about that? There’s a cacophony of other glaring issues that attracted everyone’s ire.

• stillunverified says:

Considering the only people bitching about that were WoW fanboys, I’m going to guess “none”

• zeroskill says:

Taking into consideration most of the “endgame” in Guild Wars consisted of gathering fancy looking armors and gear that had the same stats like basic lv20 gear, trading and PvP, assuming that “Guild Wars fans” where raging about the lack of endgame content is a bit far fetched. I could imagine them bitching about the lack of PvP though. That would make sense.

I’m with stillunverified on this. Wow players.

8. Hoaxfish says:

I think the whole “Endgame” thing developed from the “storyline” part of RPGs which MMORPGs derive from.

You go through the story, your power “progresses” as you fight bigger or stronger enemies, and then it ends…. then the developers have to work out how to keep you playing.

9. CletusVanDamme says:

I’m mid 30′s and already I feel like I’ve seen everything the game has to offer. It’s so repetitive even by this point I can safely say that this isn’t the game to “bring me back” to MMOs. I like the way they’ve gone with this though – at least I’ve seen the game now and am not under the impression that it gets any better at level cap. It’s a much more honest approach I think.

• Wreckdum says:

lol the game definitely gets better/more intense 60+ saying the whole game is the same from start to finish is them trying to say their early game content is good. It’s not. Later in the game you actually get to do REAL outdoor boss fights. Not like the one from the tutorial but actual 20+ players vs boss with raid mechanics.

Use crafting while you level. I went from level 38-45 in about 8 minutes leveling my armorsmithing.

• Grey Ganado says:

How long did it take to get the materials?

• CletusVanDamme says:

I’m sure I’ll eventually see the content you’re referring to but the first 35 levels haven’t gripped me enough that that will be any time soon. The combat is the same old hotbar combat and rather than “exploring” I’m just moving from point of interest to skill point to heart. There’s just stuff out there that I enjoy much more. So yeah, it’ll be a while before I reach a level where the game “suddenly becomes good” (although judging by some of the other comments I’ll take it as it comes because it doesn’t sound like it ever really changes, which restores some confidence in my initial impression).

• aliksy says:

I think the constant movement and dodging is enough to distinguish it from “same old hotkey combat”. It’s doesn’t have like manual targeting and locational damage, but it’s more involved than most MMOs I’ve played.

I’m pretty sure people would whine a lot if the combat got more twitchy. A surprising amount of people want to play MMOs with one hand while watching a movie.

• CletusVanDamme says:

I don’t think it does distinguish it though. I would move around a lot while playing other hotbar games anyway so the movement didn’t really add anything new there as far as I was concerned. I think mileage will vary on that though and I do agree with you in that a lot of MMO players don’t necessarily want to be engaged too much by the gameplay.

• FriendlyFire says:

Ah, so you’re just following the little dots in the map and missing out on the most amazing bits of exploration the game has to offer.

Do tell when you’ve found places like Weyandt’s Revenge or Demongrub Pits.

• sokolov22 says:

Just last night, I was exploring and found an organ that I could play. It replaced my hotbar with piano keys basically. This wasn’t at a Vista, or a Skillpoint, and I had to jump on rooftops to reach and served no purpose as far as I could tell, but it was there. The game is FULL of little stuff like this all over the place. Children playing, re-ancting story elements. Pirates singing pirate songs when they could just go “Ar.”

Even the mundane stuff like skill points is made fun because of the way they did things, like the Quaggan Rage one. It was short, but I loved it, and while it wasn’t the best gaming moment ever made or anything, that type of thing epitomizes GW2′s philosophy. And the Sharkmaw Cavern jumping puzzle? That has to be one of the coolest sequences in an MMO. Again, completely unnecessary from a mechanics/technical perspective, but it’s there for you to explore and enjoy.

So if you don’t enjoy this stuff, then I can see how the game might be boring and repetitive (it is, at its core, still an MMO), but if you enjoy an MMO that seems like a living world and has these hidden gems to find, then I think GW2 has a lot to offer.

• zakihashi says:

If you say this:

Then something is wrong. If it’s not fun from start to end, it’s just as bad as any other mmo’s. And my experience till 50, is run from event to event, over and over again. It’s just quests done without the need to talk ot a freaking NPC. I’ll still to the MMO’s that really change how mmo’s are played, like Planetside and such.

10. neolith says:

So far I’m having a blast with GW2. Never in an MMO I’ve had so much fun just walking around, stumbling upon secrets in the world and getting into trouble for walking too far into a direction because my curiosity got the better of me. I really enjoy that.

I am also quite fond of the way ArenaNet tries to bring as much ‘endgame’ as possible into all of the game, though I must admit that there is one thing that really bugs me: Fighting the large open world bosses is not fun, it’s boring.

My character is only lvl47 right now and I must admit, that I’ve only seen two bosses so far (if those even ARE two of the big ones, I am not quite sure, as the game won’t tell me) – the thing in the swamp in the human starter area and Kralkatorrik. Both have been rendered exceptionally beautiful and were unfortunately equally boring to fight.
    I encountered both bosses a few lvl too early and there were rather few other players present. Nevertheless both fights didn’t pose any problems at all. There was no movement involved, no tactics and not a single player got even downed. It was like getting loot for activating autoattack and watching a movie for two minutes. In comparison to what I’ve seen in WoW, both encounters were pathetic as fights.

Don’t get me wrong – I don’t want GW2 to do as WoW did and only offer the treadmill as endgame. But boy, did I have fun with some of the raid-encounters in WoW. So far, GW2 seems to lack a lot in that department. I hope this is going to change as I see more of the game. I DO enjoy GW2 so far and I hope I’ll find some big bosses that are actually worth fighting.

• mnem says:

There is a “champion giant” in charr starting area. He usually go to a small village there. I think it will give you a decent fight. :D

Also there is a “risen champion pirate” I forgot the name of the map, but its south of Lion’s Arch. A pain in the ass that one.

• neolith says:

I’ve been fighting the giant in the charr area, but since he didn’t leave a chest I assumed he is not one of the big outdoor bosses but only a champion with a shitload of health. Either way, that fight is just as boring as the ones I described earlier. As long as everyone just autoattacks with a ranged weapon, nothing ever causes problems. There is no tactic whatsoever involved. That fight only stands out because it lasts for more than 15 minutes – 15 minutes of boring autoattack that is… :(

11. alilsneaky says:

I like the part where the writer who hasn’t reached endgame is giving out his opinion on it.
    His opinion being a mouthpiece for the marketing department of the developer….

Here is the opinion from someone who has been 80 for two weeks.
    -No, the events don’t get bigger and more dramatic, events from 1-80 are 99 percent just killing some waves of mobs, bringing some items to the npc or clicking on sparkly items strewn around.
    The event chain bosses are generally just yet another champion mob, and in 3 cases you get to fight a dragon (whom is only interesting the first time).
    The events were HUGELY oversold by Anet (this is an observation made by everyone on my friends list ingame) , and you are just contributing to people’s dissapointment if they buy the game now.
    When people get to 80 most are or quickly will get very tired of filling bars with menial tasks and fighting generic npcs to complete them as they pop up.

-There isn’t much to do at endgame pve wise but to pick one of the dungeons and run it literally a hundred times if you want to get their gear sets.
    This makes wow’s token grind look benign.
    No, you don’t have to grind them (I didn’t run any more than 5 times) but again: there is nothing else to do for pve, and this bring me to the real problem: the dungeons are no fun. I’ve never seen anyone ingame at 80 compliment the dungeons, and everyone I know (people who love pve, loved SWG and apparently can even even put up with rift) has said the dungeons are extremely boring.
    No, this isn’t some ‘boo hoo don’t know how to make our own fun and need the trinity’ crap, the combat is shallow and dull in pve. You don’t ‘switch tasks on the fly’ like the marketing crap claims, you still spec just like in wow and just like in wow if you are specced dps you just hit the mob, do some warrior shout buffs (or banners here) and that is that.
    If you want to play support, or tank (tank specs are strictly a pvp thing as mobs don’t even have an aggro table) then you have to both gear and spec for it just the same as in every other mmo.

-wvw is just like warhammer: (but a lot worse since you don’t have the ability to physically block people in teamwork) : you zerg people down, pve down doors/oil/cannons and run from keep to keep to take them.
    As you take keeps your spawnpoint does not go any closer to the action so in that respect it is also much worse than warhammer, planetside 2 , bf1942 or any other conquest (call it wvw it’s still conquest) gamemode.

-spvp is the only decent aspect of the game (though imagine every broken/hilarious spec in wow history combined in one game and you are close) and provides some entertainment.

I started playing this game with a bunch of pve heroes and people who bought the game for wvw, and none of them have been online since they finished chasing their exotic set carrot (4-5 days ) and realised wvw was trash.

I went in with very low expectations (I just wanted to pvp with some friends) and even I got less than what little I expected out of this game.

It gets tiresome seeing the fanboy/mmo addict cycle each time on forums, people unwilling to recognise any problem for a few weeks until they peer pressure drops and they come back down to earth.

Sorry to interupt mister game journalist, please go on telling us in detail what the game you haven’t played is like.

• Grey Ganado says:

I’ve re-read the article three times now and I cannot see the part you are refering too. The only parts that come close are those where he voices his opinion about what the developer thinks about their endgame.

• dE says:

I have to agree with this post (Well not the jab at the Journalist, that’s just this opinion) but the general issue with the so called Endgame of Guild Wars 2. That issue is: There is none. They basic idea is nice, have an adventure all along the way. But it doesn’t work out in GW2.
      The Renown Quests are interesting until you realize they ALL can be completed by bashing whatever mob is nearby enough times for the bar to fill up. Events are even worse offenders. Some events have you defend an outpost for up to 20 minutes. You’d think the siege would get more hectic as it went along or include some actual variation whatsoever – but no.
      You sit there, ass planted firmly in a narrow space for 20 minutes and wait for the same respawn of the same 5 mobs over and over and over again. I’ve had time to completely re-arrange my inventory, set up 3 new chat channels with specific and very fiddly settings and toy around with dyeing my armor in several colours. At the 14th minute I was applying a new coating for each following wave. In the end, the last minute, I didn’t even look at the enemies, other windows were all over the screen while I popped the generic same sequence of keys. Press button that jumps to enemy. Wait until auto-attack is done and auto-loot with F. My my, what a blimey splendid dynamic event. Truely epic.
      /edit: And for anyone saying “wait til you get higher” this was a level 65 event. The level 80 events are just zergfests.

The “endgame is everywhere” idea essentially boils down to, you’ve seen every type of event by the time you’ve hit Level 20. Including a champion. Which was fine at the time but got old the second time around and then turned ancient by the 20th time – and that’s when you’ve barely hit level 40. And then the dungeons. They could be fun if the enemies wouldn’t have so goddamn many hp. Some of which you have to keep clobbering for 5 minutes with a team specced on damage and conditions. Not the bossmobs, they’re ridiculously low hp and easy in comparison – no the trash mob on the way to the boss. Of which there are dozens. At least you need to pay a bit more attention here because those enemies pack a punch and occasionally onehit a character.

• BloatedGuppy says:

I’m level 80. Still having fun. Here’s an opinion from someone who isn’t myopically obsessed with 12 year old MMO mechanics and doesn’t consider “progression” to be the soul of play.

- The events are a little “oversold”. None of them are truly dynamic in such a way that they reshape the world, “dynamic” basically translates into 3-4 stages, some of which are failure stages, and due to population those are seldom reached. They are an evolution of the public questing in Warhammer and Rift. This does not make them BAD. But it does make them something less than the breathlessly hype addled might have expected.

- There’s actually tons to do at “end game” insomuch as you want to bother identifying an “end game” at all, but there isn’t raiding, so a certain subclass of cat-assers is going to be dismayed. As always with MMOs, people set their own goals and make their own fun. It needs to be said very plainly here…the main divide on the question of GW2′s “end game” is between people who enjoy playing games, and people who enjoy progressing in games. If you play games to explore, kill monsters, do some PvP, and enjoy yourself, you will find all these activities are still available to you at 80, and there is a staggering amount of content on display. If you play games to watch numbers go up, then you will, indeed, protest that there is ‘nothing to do’ at level 80, and then bleat about it on forums.

- The WvWvW is fortunately not like Warhammer at all, partially because it has three sides, partially because population stacking has been limited, and partially because it actually works. Physically blocking an opponent was a wonderful idea, but the Gamebyro engine and the game’s servers couldn’t handle it. RvR with more than 50 people was a slide show, and instead of effectively blocking anyone they’d just lag warp/flicker past you. I don’t really need to explain this to anyone though, WAR was such a resounding financial success I’m guessing everyone here played it.

It gets tiresome seeing the same hatedumb/can only love one MMO at a time tribalism each time on forums, people who mistake their opinions as fact, magnify every tiny issue with hugely exaggerated hyperbole, spew bile, and have their head so hard up the ass of their own confirmation bias that trying to have a rational discussion with them is like pulling teeth.

I liked WoW. I liked EQ. I liked Warhammer, even. I liked Rift, and CoH, and UO. I liked TOR. I liked DAoC. I like MMOs. I like them all for different reasons. Imagine that! Liking things for different reasons, and recognizing not every game needs to be the same, and that different games can have different strengths.

Incredible, I know. By all means, though, don’t let that interrupt the caustic stream of your adolescent bile. There’s a new game out and some people like it and MAN, it’s important to set the record straight for those fools, amirite?

• dE says:

Congratulations, you win the Saturday Evening Stupid Award with that comment. Discussions (which form up the gist of comment sections) are made up of different opinions about a shared topic. You’ve just shown an incredibly astonishing lack of ability to cope with opinions other than yours.

• Vorphalack says:

One does not start a mature and rational discussion by stating lies as fact, as the OP did several times. You may not like the game, and you may agree with the guy, but he was talking out of his arse and deserved to be called out on it.

• Chuck84 says:

It looked like his issue was more with the hyperbolic nature of the criticism, rather than the criticism itself.

Also: “You’ve just shown an incredibly astonishing lack of ability to cope with opinions other than yours.” seems a little rich, considering that you opened your comment with an insult.

The thing is, there are some valid complaints, but they’re buried in the exaggerations. Be unhappy, be disappointed in the game, but keep your displeasure civil and coherent.

• BloatedGuppy says:

If your opinion on a topic is full of unsubstantiated rubbish, rampant hyperbole, lazy analysis and seething bias, then you can expect to have that opinion challenged, rebuked, or laughed at. That’s part of a discussion, didn’t ya know? If you want to air your opinion in a public space, you get to enjoy the public’s response to them. What kind of rational, intellectual conversation is being promoted here? Alilsneaky hates a thing, and he wants everyone to know how much he hates it! It’s stupid! It’s boring! It’s a piece of poo! Yes, clearly we’re going to have a really productive conversation on this issue.

This kind of raging, grade school explosion of angst is pretty commonplace in gaming discussions, where no one is ever satisfied to talk about how a certain element displeased them when they can imply just looking at it gave them herpes. It’s really a shame that he didn’t like the game, but it happens sometimes. Once in a while, *I* don’t like a game. Oddly, I don’t feel the need to enter conversations about that game to vomit up hate, attack everyone who enjoys it, claim any defense of it on any grounds is “fanboyism”, and imply that any journalists supporting it are on the take. It’s possible the reason I don’t do these things is that I am not eleven years old.

• airmikee says:

Funny how you get all uppity with someone dismissing anothers’ opinion, and then proceed to dismiss their opinion in the exact same way. That’s like punching someone for punching people too much, and that kind of reinforcement does wonders with humans, doesn’t it? Cause rejecting a behavior and then repeating the same behavior will always cure the rejected behavior, right?

Do as I say, not as I do.

• alilsneaky says:

Comprehensive reading, how does it work?

I clearly stated that there is plenty to ‘do’ , but that my problem is that none of it is fleshed out or enjoyable.

I spent hundred ++ hours in jc2 dicking about making my own fun, I entertained myself for weeks in bf1942 DC learning how to fly the helicopters, I enjoy myself in planetside 2, a game entirely about creating your own fun , there is no structure in that game other than what the players create.
        The main difference is that the gameplay in those games is highly entertaining and has a great learning curve.

You dismiss my complaints as being about not having ‘progression’ , when ironically that is all the game has to offer: you fill bars, gather gear sets, complete maps and rank up in pvp,
        GW2 is the most theme park game I have ever played by FAR, it is like those wii mini game compilations, and just like in those every minigame (vistas, event minigames, underwater combat, heart quests) is shallow and boring.
        I couldn’t care less about progression or the carrot. (and boy does the game have a big carrot from 1-80 then all the way up to exotics.), the gameplay is bad that is all that matters.

You also ignore and downplay that everything the developer brought up as selling points (and that the pr mouthpiece in this article apes) turned out to be really bad.
        -the PQs are simple and repetitive
        - the gameplay which was supposed to be so different is just autoattack + shallowness + don’t stand in the fire
        -the story and dialog is particularly cringeworthy , worst than B movie so bad it’s good bad. Everyone who played the game can tell you that.
        -the pick roles on the fly is a lie since you need to spec for your role just like in traditional mmos.

I didn’t care for any of this when I bought the game (only interested in pvp), but bring it up because some of it is hyped in this article once again.

You trash warhammer for low framerates in wvw , have you even played the wvw in gw2?
        If you don’t have a high end sandy bridge cpu you have no business in wvw in this game, everyone I know with a q2duo or amd cpu gets 10-20 fps in wvw, and EVERYONE gets horrible fps when it starts to snow.
        Even my friends with oc’ed i5 2500k cpus barely get 20-25 fps in wvw at keep fights…

Me personally: I get 40-60 fps in 64 player bf3 on high settings, between 25 and 60 fps in planetside 2 (a game that has much more going on with way more players on way bigger maps and way better graphics) and in gw2 I get 10-20 fps when fighting dragons or doing wvw… regardless of graphics settings being at low/none/off or ultra
        You trash gamebryo but the gw2 engine is just as hopeless… But you want to believe so badly so you ignore it for gw2.

You can’t dismiss my statements as opinion , because most of them are objective facts
        (performance, cringeworthy voice acting and throwaway story, events being the same with no substance), and some of it is the general opinion of the playerbase at 80 (dungeons being total poo and not fun, let alone fun enough to do 100 times for the gear carrot)

My response to the article was about correcting the misinformation and PR rubbish spouted by the writer, if you weren’t blinded by a haze of emotion over any negativity surrounding the escapist little world you are so desperate to embrace then maybe you would be able to process the information.

Alas, the MMO launch hype cycle is going to be repeated for every new mmo ever.
        Meanwhile rps can contribute to it some more.

• Runs With Foxes says:

Why did you play the game for 100+ hours in the first week of release if you didn’t enjoy it? Are you a masochist or just unemployed?

• bigblack says:

This, a thousand times, this. You know that gaping void you feel inside after grinding all those hours in a game you claim to hate, just in order to be the first person to hit the lvl cap on your server? Here’s a hint: that void cannot be filled by ANY video game, ever, MMO or otherwise.

• airmikee says:

You keep bringing up CPU speed as an indicator of how the machine will handle GW2. GW2 is a very GPU dependent game. It doesn’t matter what kind of i5 chip you or your friends have, if you’re only using an nvidia 8800 GT card, you’re going to be watching a slideshow in game. I run a hexcore 3.2 with an nvidia GTX 560, and even on max settings, I never dip below 45fps.

• Snakejuice says:

Hi, my name is alilsneaky. This game kept me playing for 2+ weeks all the way to max level, yet somehow I still think this is THE WORST GAME EVER!

• mouton says:

Then again, can you blame him? Grinding mindlessly in search for mythical “good stuff” – that’s what the MMOs taught him to do.

• Groove says:

Yeah, entirely this.

I played the game hard for 2 weeks, putting in dozens of hours and ultimately finishing the main game, but it’s boring and terrible. Huh?

Who does that? Who even has the time to do that?

12. Nevard says:

I just wish the dungeons were a bit better. I had high hopes going into Ascalon Catacombs but all the boss fights were chaotic and unfocused.
    They weren’t even hard, there was just a lack of choreography, not much that could apparently be reacted to and mechanics that seemed fairly bugged for some of them (specifically the lovers fight), it was far less satisfying than the more structured experience offered by WoW’s dungeons (admittedly not the ones it launched with seven years ago, I mean the newer and revamped ones, like the new Deadmines, but you shouldn’t be competing with the game as it USED to be).

Maybe it’s just because it’s the first dungeon of the game but I was hoping for better. I seriously hope it isn’t an inherent issue with the lack of tank/healer/dps structure because I otherwise love the game.

• Vorphalack says:

”I had high hopes going into Ascalon Catacombs but all the boss fights were chaotic and unfocused.”

Easy to make that judgement on your first pass, but it’s not really true. Once you learn the tells for each ability and learn to react quickly then the fights all play quite smoothly. I’ve been in a few groups for normal and explorer mode, and seen most fail because they don’t learn tells, don’t dodge, don’t revive party members, and only focus on skills that give dps over utility. I’ve been in a couple of groups with people who ”got it” and we murdered everything.

• Nevard says:

I’ve done it three times and it was all the same.
        It’s not HARD, maybe I’d like it more if it was hard! We wiped on literally none of the bosses on our first try (the trash pulls were deadlier, and this was as a warrior specced into precision and nothing but signets the first time), they just seemed like a mess.
        The bosses wandered around the room, AOE fields just popped up all over the place with literally no warning (you still had time to dodge but you’d always take at least a small hit). We defeated the lovers just by having someone stand there endlessly hurling rocks into the mesmer chap, and I’m not sure that’s how it’s meant to work but on subsequent runs with different people seemed to be the only viable strategy.

Someone above me also raised a good point in that everything has far too much health. The trash literally do nothing interesting but take minutes to kill, the bosses are even worse offenders with their one mechanic each and massive health pools.

You seem to think I’m angry because I FAILED, and that’s simply not true. The dungeon’s a piece of cake, it just doesn’t seem polished at all.

It’s just… a different and in my opinion vastly less enjoyable experience.

13. Myros says:

Ah so perhaps anything that takes effort, dedication and work is the bad stuff. Good news everyone we are all gold winning olympic athletes! And also you all graduated with a masters in everything! … except wouldnt I miss the feeling of accomplishment? If we are given everything do we accomplish anything?

Hmm, I hate the ‘grind’ in many games as much as anybody but I don’t think I would like a trend that goes to the opposite extreme. I havent played GW2, the mindless button mashing rainbow explosion detail obliterating ‘battles’ I have seen kind of put me off, so maybe Im misunderstanding but isnt it a little like just giving everyone the ‘easy’ button?

• Vorphalack says:

• alilsneaky says:

You haven’t played the game but you dismiss it as ‘too hard so people complain’…

It’s not too hard, my group has cof down to 17 minute runs after 5 runs (only 1 guy managed to do enough runs for the sword, me and the others were too bored to run it once a day)

It’s not the difficulty that turns people off (again, it really isn’t difficult, may be annoying to pug, I wouldn’t know I never pug) , it’s that it is boring as all hell gameplay wise.
      It’s a huge chore even on the first run, and normally first runs of any dungeons are supposed to be the most fun ones as you figure everything out.

By comparison, hardmodes in tera are significantly much harder but those were at least entertaining enough gameplay wise to run a dozen odd times and actually have fun.

Gw2 dungeons are boredom throughout.
      I’m not even big on pve, but the group I play with always do the endgame raids in top hardcore guilds (world firsts in Tor, server firsts in rift etc) and they normally eat this kind of shit up.
      They too were bored from the first moment.

• airmikee says:

Mindless button mashers don’t get very far in GW2. If you’re not dodging, ducking, diving, and dodging, you’re going to die very quick. If you’re not using knockbacks and snares at the right time, you’re going to die very quick. If you’re not paying attention to position and obstacles, you’re not going to be effective.

This isn’t WoW with a rotation of abilities you mindlessly click in order, there is actual strategy involved in even the most basic of fights.

14. shindakun says:

Man, I’m glad I haven’t burned my way from 1 to 80 in five days, been taking my time and enjoying the game. I’m at 43 right now I believe. I actually haven’t even done any of the dungeons yet. I should probably take care of that…

• Dominic White says:

I hit level 80 and had seen every zone before I’d even been in a single dungeon, and I’d only seen 34% of the world by the time I finished the solo story arc, too. How anyone can call this game ‘grindy’ when you can only see a third of the world in the course of *completing the damn game* is beyond me.

• Goker says:

I’ve completed 30% of the world and I’m only level 42. I just liked going into areas and not leaving until I talked to everyone or found every Vista, PoI. I’m enjoying myself so far.

15. Jenks says:

Endgame only exists for themepark MMOs. It’s one of the subgenre’s many, many flaws.

• alilsneaky says:

And gw2 is the very definition of a theme park mmo….
      Fill bars, do chores and tasks, complete maps, collect tokens for gear.

Everywhere you go there is a ride, and all the rides are kill x boars to fill a bar, kill x waves of undead to fill a bar (totally different from kill 10 boars! I swear, no number!, see?) or bring 10 pieces of boar shit strewn around the quest npc (who has a heart, not a ! mark, totally different,I swear) to the npc.

• Runs With Foxes says:

News at 11.

• airmikee says:

The difference between the GW2 grind and the kind of grind you described, is that most games will only give you one option to complete a quest. Most games, as you described, will give you one option to go kill 10 boars, the next quest will ask you to kill 10 undead, and the next quest will ask you to collect 10 pieces of boar shit. GW2 doesn’t do that, it says, “Go kill boars, undead, or collect boar shit.” to complete this quest. The next quest says, “Go kill undead, collect science reports, or dump water on passed our drunks.” The next quest says, “Pick up unexploded ordnance, repair fences, or kill bandits.” There’s almost always more than one way to complete the quest. That’s a huge difference to me.

16. Strangerator says:

I notice a lot of people complain about “grind” in MMOs, but really that’s the point of the genre and the reason people like playing them. You put in enough “work” (grind), and you earn rewards (loot, new areas, etc). Most MMOs seem to be in a rush to improve the reward end of the spectrum, giving players more and more reward for less work. Logically, this seems to make sense, but it’s very bad psychology. A hard-earned lesser reward will tend to be valued more than a greater reward that has been just handed out to everyone.

Modern MMOs cater to what “people believe they want” instead of what people actually want. People are after the “feeling” of earning rewards, but as games give more and more hand-outs, this feeling is watered down more and more. You need to improve the “grind” or “work” aspect of the game. Leveling up should NOT feel inevitable. Each outing to gain experience should have a chance of failure, where you are actually kicked backward a little bit. A game that improved the “grind” aspect enough could do away with stupid filler like kill quests and fetch quests. Don’t tell people where to go, and in what order. Let them explore and figure out where they can handle and where they can’t.

I don’t know, it seems like WoW has set the tone for entirely too long, and I’m waiting for someone to make an MMO that appeals to ME before I jump back in. It may or may not happen.

17. Sardukar says:

So I, too, have been 80 for two weeks. I’m with TRG, are with Titan Alliance, who are dominating in WVW currently. Henge of Denravi has yet to lose. As a result, our crazed guild of hardcores raced to 80 ASAP so we’d be more effective in WvW.
    So we’ve seen a few people with sneaky’s issues – they are having a hard time adjusting to GW2 endgame-lite. They are used to getting to endgame and then the trudge to good gear. Most of them are in heavy exotics and have been for awhile now. They have CoF down to 12 minutes. Etc.

Most of us at 80, though, are thoroughly enjoying ourselves. We spend a lot of time in WVW obviously. We spend a lot of time in SPvP. We finish our personal stories. The game is beautiful and we wander around in it. We mess around on the AH – one of our members had 200 gold a couple days ago and not from exploiting. We level alts in between hunting pugs in WvW or running comps in SPvP.

So a very satisfying game so far. No, it’s not revolutionary in any single sense. No, it’s not going to change your world. No, if you thought it was going to be perfect, it’s not.

But it’s well worth the money and time invested so far and still will be six months down the (didn’t pay monthly) road.

And all this before the expansions that are surely coming, from a company that runs multiple quick fix patches and rebalances.

-S

18. Hug_dealer says:

Grind. Its a funny word.

Do we grind everytime we load up starcraft and gather minerals so you can produce troops.

Do we grind everything we start up battlefield or counter strike, and shoot people.

How about every time we start a new game of Sim city, or when we play minecraft.

How about mass effect 3, where you literally take cover, pop out, shoot, get shot, take cover to recharge, and then pop out and shoot again.

Are you grinding in those games? Grind refers to doing the same task over, and over, and over.

The important thing is that “grind” is fun, so that it doesnt feel like “grinding”. Which is one thing most MMOS do not do well, they add way to much filler. Guild wars on the other hand, handles grind in a fun way, always giving you option tasks and things to fulfill, and do it in an enjoyable manor.

The game has more content than really any game before it, and to experience all will take forever, but to many people will float to lvl 80 and claim they have done it all, but not even come close. All we can hope is that Arenanet comes out with new events regularly.

19. Hmm-Hmm. says:

More of this. The ‘endgame’ idea is very detrimental to the MMO business. And it’s infectious, too. People used to MMOs start using concepts from them and apply them to other genres (watched someone from the Yogscast do that recently with the ‘endgame’ idea).

And sure, it’s good for MMOs to have lots to do. But what that is, and how it is spaced out should not be set. Such rigidity (like with the ‘holy trinity’) leads to stagnation.

20. hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

GUILDWARFACE?

21. RaffyS says:

Guild Wars 2 is the fastest I’ve ever uninstalled an mmo. 25 levels was all it took for me and my friends to realise we weren’t having fun at all. From what I’ve been reading of the comments, looks like I didn’t miss out on much.

• Hug_dealer says:

25 levels is hardly enough to even digest an MMO. You never even got your first dungeon done lol.

To each their own though, you might not have liked it but plenty of people do. Good luck with whatever you uninstall next.

22. Demiath says:

I have GW2 on my computer but zero interest in playing it. Coming after such ambitious but flawed story-oriented experiments as The Old Republic and The Secret World it seems supremely pointless to go back to yet another vaguely Korean-looking fetch quest compilation.

• Severian says:

I don’t understand – you shelled out ~$60 for a game that you installed and then decided not to play because it looks like other MMO’s? What am I missing?

Also, I’ve been following my personal story in GW2 for 30 levels now and find it moderately intriguing – a nice change of pace between all the exploration and random slaughter.

23. Shooop says:

The only major complaint I have are the boss fights – the champion enemies.

There’s no strategy or technique to them. You just swarm them like ants for 10 minutes until they die. If you’re a ranged player and there’s enough melee guys, you can just walk away from your computer because you’re not going to be missing anything important.

24. Iconik says:

Here we go again. This never gets old.

It should be grindy. There should be a carrot stick. It’s the nature of fucking progress. If you want completion, go play God of War. The truly good stuff should be elusive. ELUSIVE, mind you. Not impossible. And NONE of this shit is impossible. And it hasn’t been since BC in WoW where, before that, only 1% of the player base was seeing truly exotic gear.

And you know what? It should be like that still. If you want some good stuff, then work for it. If ANet made this shit too easy you’d be here griping about that. MMO devs can’t win. Communities absolutely ruin MMOs. If it’s not one thing, it’s another.

In before cardboard box response.

25. ghoststalker194 says:

I just wish there were a bit more community things going on. And with that I mean…. a server wide event that focuses on (for example) breaking a siege into a whole new area to explore.

Or allowing a guild to buy themselfs a castle on top of a floating island with enough effort / money and resources. Something you and a group of other people will really have to work for and feel great at the end when you finally have it.

26. NBates says:

I wouldn’t say this game is grindy. Of course, it has XP, progress, and levels. This means you can grind it. And many people do.

I find it funny that some people say “I’ve been level 80 for the last two weeks”. Ok, if that’s so then you grinded through the game. The game you experienced will be completely different than the game I experienced. You see, I’ve been there from beta weekend 2 and I’ve only reached level 55. I didn’t play the game to maximize the speed of progress but the enjoyment I get from playing.

Instead of camping on a zone waiting to repeat the same event once and again to get XP fast, I run through the world discovering new and cool things. Finding events, and how they interact. Finding new, secret zones, jumping puzzles, and exploring to find new scenery.

The game gives you lots of content to play. Lots of things to do in different ways. And most of those activities let you progress through the game to unlock new content. If you choose to play for the grind ok, you can play most games like that.

One problem is that if you have most of the people playing like that, the game suffers. As an example, there was an event where you had to kill Dredge Engineers to steal machinery plans and give the plans to an NPC. Would you believe me that I was the only person doing that? The rest was just running around killing Dredge, that’s all. Not a single person gave the plans to the NPC. I assume they didn’t even bother to read the instructions for the event. I completed the event on my own, and followed the NPC. The NPC went to a camp and assembled a dredge transport, then used the transport to help free two of the nearby cities. I think that’s quite cool and enjoyed it. I guess nobody else cared.

• Severian says:

This. I don’t want to speak for the complaining hordes, because they might have legitimate issues, but it seems to me that those whining loudest are approaching GW2 with the wrong mindset. Take your time, man. Smoke a j and enjoy the scenery…

27. TheXand says:

What a brilliant concept for a game.

Comment on this story