Borderlands 2 Is Allowed To Launch Now

By Nathan Grayson on September 18th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

Not pictured: No one. This is everyone. Everyone ever.

Not because I’ve given it permission, mind you. No, no – I don’t possess that kind of power. I can, however, pave the way for the final domino in the promotional procession – that most mighty of Silver Surfers: the launch trailer. Without it, the delicate videogame hype ecosystem would crumble, and we’d have no way of knowing that our games were coming out tomorrow, or a few days from now, or in, like, two months sometimes. It’d be total pandemonium. Countless lives would almost certainly be lost in the chaos. We need this structure, is what I’m saying. Launch trailers are totally and completely necessary. So here’s one for Borderlands 2. This one tosses wub-wubs and wimowehs in favor of in-your-face “epic”-ness, but it’s still quite a sight.

I kind of despise the word “epic” in all its overused-to-the-point-of-meaninglessness glory, but this pretty much fits the bill. It all looks very elaborate and grandiose and even a bit cinematic. By comparison, the original Borderlands’ more basic “go to a brown place and kill all of the things because guns” structure seems like a rickety scaffolding for a much grander idea. Hopefully, then, Borderlands 2 is, well, pretty much exactly what a sequel should be: the better, fuller, smarter realization of an idea that was only just finding its footing the first time around. Borderlands was good. Here’s hoping Borderlands 2 can cross the border into “great” territory.

It’s out today in the US and Friday in the UK. Jim has secluded himself in the Fortress of Jimitude for many long days and nights to put it through its paces, so you’ll be hearing from him very, very soon. Until then, though, what classes will you fine folks be starting out with? I’ll be trying the Assassin, I think, because apparently I’m the sort of person who attempts to get his sword fix from a game about 87 bazillion guns.

, , .

Naum says:

In fact, we already heard from Jim right here. He says you might want to reevaluate your character choice, because guns.

• Shooop says:

You could always fill out some of the sniper tree. Especially if you’re playing alone.

2. Antar says:

People should also be aware that while it is possible to pretend you’re in America through the magic of VPNs that Steam have explicitly disallowed this in the latest update to their subscriber agreement.

Just a heads up in case people try this to activate it early over here.

• shivars says:

I think this was also disallowed in the previous versions as well – any use of a VPN or proxy to access Steam. (which seems a little rediculous / over-harsh, but there you go. also i’m not aware of anyone actually being banned for this).

• BobbyDylan says:

Yeah. What would be the result of doing it (And I presume being caught)? Would they lock you game again, or stop you from playing all your games (al-la EA)?

DarkLiberator says:

You would be locked out of your account.

• BobbyDylan says:

That seems unusually harsh.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Yeah, coming from the company that says they need to release everywhere simultaneously to combat piracy… I don’t see why they’d have a problem with VPN. You could always pirate it instead?

• Smarag says:

That’s pretty usual harsh from steam. That’s what steam does all the time.

Vandelay says:

Not sure this is accurate now; I thought that Steam bans prevented you from buying new games from that account and from multiplayer, maybe even only VAC protected games. Single player games you already own would be unaffected. I believe it was changed after the fuss around EA issuing perma-bans for multiple mild offences.

Might be getting muddled with a particular type of ban though and circumventing region restrictions might carry harsher penalties.

3. Donncha O Caoimh says:

I’ll tell you what classes I’ll be playing on Friday. *grumble*

4. PatrickSwayze says:

Can we get some RPS action on No oceans please.

Although its too late for Borderlands, maybe it might be that we could get X-COM to unlock on the same day as the americans?

• Kollega says:

I think i have to mention that this time, the Oceans of the Internet have played in the hands of the consumer (or in my hands, at least). If the game was out on 18th all around the world, i wouldn’t be able to cancel my Steam preorder of a cut-down Borderlands 2 RU and re-preorder the international key so that i can play the version i want to with all the pre-order doodads.

• Askeladd says:

Lame generic pre-order stuff ftw…

• Sp4rkR4t says:

Erm this pre-order stuff isn’t exactly lame, especially when you consider one of them is a whole new freaking class of character.

• darkrenown says:

Don’t forget the mandatory dlc addons (how long will it be till the original borderlands classes are in the game playable?).

5. JBantha says:

Mordecai.

6. Jayson82 says:

Here in the UK and I suppose the rest of the EU all the physical retailers update there stock with new releases on a Friday so everything must be released then, part of the distribution deal publisher sign over here. It sucks for me as I bought over steam but have to wait till the stores release there’s :(

7. KDR_11k says:

Space Marine was released on a Tuesday. Retailers didn’t care and put the game boxes on shelves the moment they got them. Because of Steamworks that just meant people had to wait for the official release.

I kinda doubt that the header image there is a game scene though that would be nice. Guess we have to wait for EDF4 to see scenes like that in gameplay again.

8. Tayh says:

Ffs, this game requires steam?
    Damnit.

• aliksy says:

I don’t know why you don’t like steam (legitimate reasons? crazy reasons?), but you could always create a separate steam account just for borderlands2. Then it’s just like they made their own proprietary DRM instead of using a trusted, in place, convenient, actually-adds-useful-features system.

ata says:

Steam can only be a good thing for the co-op side of it, it wasn’t fun trying to get co-op working in the first one due to GameSpy.

9. FullMetalMonkey says:

Now, where did I leave my VPN Client laying around?

10. Grim_22 says:

I do so enjoy reading the words of the Grayson.

11. bit_crusherrr says:

Can’t decide weather I should use a VPN to unlock Borderlands, which means I wont be able to use Steam online till Friday, or try to pretend it doesn’t exist.

hellboy says:

Actually it works just fine after you unlock and put Steam back online…

• AngoraFish says:

confirmed

edit: to clarify: will only launch while VPN is active. If I turn off VPN after activating and reload Steam the ‘play’ button reverts to “pre-load”… no biggie.

mrwonko says:

Can’t confirm. What am I missing?

• AngoraFish says:

ummm… a VPN?

hint – google: “Your Freedom” ProxyCap Steam

mrwonko says:

I can play it with VPN just fine, I just interpreted that previous comment as “once unlocked via VPN, it can be played without it”, which I can’t.

12. Davee says:

I just want to know why all the bad guys are all leaning to the right (left on the pic)… It must be the devs implying we’re shooting up Pandoran right-wing extremists or something!

Carra says:

Still busy with Black Mesa, FTL and Guild Wars 2. Oh, and Pandaria next week.

Borderlands 2 will have to wait.

14. TormDK says:

Yeah, RPS – Can’t you go bite some Publishers ankles on why they continue to cateer to those silly brick and mortar shops in such a degree that law abiding Citizens such as myself not only have to pay more for the same product due to the magic that is the 1USD=1EU conversion, but on top of that additional Price, I have to wait longer. (And thats not even taking the poor aussies into considerations, because damn – they have it rough)

I mean, If I was a filthy pirate, I’d be playing it right now.

• Zanchito says:

Yep, and don’t swallow that crap about VAT. VAT is different in every EU country yet you don’t see different country pricing. And they have the tools for that.

PoulWrist says:

The VAT you pay on steam is 15% and it’s a EU country only thing. Countries not in the EU pay the same you did, except they don’t pay VAT, meaning to them the game is actually more expensive… the flat rate price is bullshit and is likely hurting business. I hardly ever shop anything online if it’s not GOG… even shops here, with our 25% VAT, are cheaper than steam…. I don’t get why anyone buys from there. Ever.

• Lolmasaurus says:

As an afore mentioned ‘poor Aussie’ I am thoroughly bitter about having to pay AU $90 for a game which is US $60, even though our dollar is actually worth more than theirs at the moment, New Zealanders have it even worse I’m afraid. Mind you, that’s in retail. Steam and paypal have perfectly reasonable exchange rates, sort of. I payed AU $70 for Borderlands 2 on steam. If only I could play it.

• AngoraFish says:

As a fellow Aussie, I can only say, learn to shop around and VPN dude. I paid US$37.50 for the game on GMG and am playing now. :)

• yogibbear says:

I’m an aussie. Didn’t use VPN. And paid $37.50 on GMG too. But cannot play the game right now… GRRRRRR @ 2K.

PoulWrist says:

Uh, so when is it out in mainland europe?

16. Phinor says:

Friday release so bargain bin it is.

17. SuperNashwanPower says:

Victoria Beckham finally made it into a videogame. Go, Posh.

18. deadly.by.design says:

I’d just like to say how much more I’ve enjoyed RPS since they hired Nathan Grayson.

That’s not to say that it was bad before, but that it has since improved. Not only does his writing style blend perfectly with his co-contributors, but it is additionally splendid that he’s an American and tends to post at times relevant to my perusal.

19. Strangerator says:

Today is a day I am proud to be an American.

Now if only I could convince myself that my Biochemistry exam tomorrow is less important than popping in BL2. This is brutal.

• x1501 says:

Get your priorities straight. The entire planet of Pandora is under threat from the evil CEO of the Hyperion corporation and you’re worrying about some stupid exam? What is wrong with you?

20. Ruffian says:

What would be really cool for endgame in this type of game, is if they cranked up the enemy count and difficulty past 11, I mean just throw a ton of shit at you, but let you team up with an extra group or two of people. Like in the trailer. That would be radical.