Dour Defence: Sang-Froid – Tale Of Werewolves

By Adam Smith on September 18th, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

There are probably few folk that I have less in common with than heroic, rugged, manly Canadian lumberjacks. I talk my way out of trouble instead of admonishing it with shovel-sized fists, I’m softer than freshly fallen snow, you couldn’t fill a thimble with my daily testosterone output and I’d rather write a poem about a tree than chop one down. Oh, and even though I really like Canada, I’m definitely not Canadian and don’t live there. Sang-Froid doesn’t care about that though, it’s going to plant me in the boots of an outdoorsman anyway and then it’s going to ask me to kill werewolves and other devilish denizens of the night. Part defence game, part action, it looks rather spiffy. Look at the lengthy video below and see if you agree.

The planning area, for the laying of traps and distractions, looks to be a good size and the setting is at least fourteen million times more interesting than The Dreadful Goblin Castle of Goblin-Castle Mountain. Castle.

Two things make the idea stand out to me, apart from the setting and characters. First is the ‘fear factor’, captured in the scene where the hero reloads by a fire, knowing that the wolves won’t be intimidated by its flames for long. Because he is weaker than his enemies, as well as outnumbered, the traps must not only kill, but frighten and maim. The nightmares must believe you are stronger than them.

Then there’s the senses of the creatures, which should add to the hunter/hunted dynamic. Sound, smell and sight can all be used to lure the monsters toward traps, and all can give away the player’s position at an inopportune moment.

There are more videos and details at the game’s site and it’s also made an appearance on Steam Greenlight. It’s looking good to me, the only disappointment being that there are two brothers but no co-op. Maybe later?

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Gap Gen says:

“…must protect their sister Josephine from the devil, who is trying to kidnap her.” Awesome.

• Ultra Superior says:

Native american pagan magic should negate the effects of christian blessings and wayside crosses. Devil knows.

AmateurScience says:

But, do you put on women’s clothing, and hang around in bars?

3. smeaa mario says:

Well, I am convinced. This one looks quite handsome and is bound to become more awesome upon implementation of more fluid animations (-some).

4. Mr. Mister says:

It’s Canadian Guy from the webcomic “Manly Guys Doin’ Manly Things!” http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/1221

5. MrWolf says:

Love the look of this. Love the idea of this. Love what I can see of the implementation (though it does look a bit overwhelming in the details).

More than anything, I love that the developers are all Canadian and they are all wearing flannel in the group photo.

Also, in Amurika, we’re going to call this “Sang Freud”, so, you know, there’s that.

Gap Gen says:

I guess calling it “Songfwa” in Anglophone countries could work.

• Hoaxfish says:

Sang Frodd

Ninja Dodo says:

They should really just call it “Cold Blood” and get it over with, unless there are copyright issues there. Having a name that most of your players can’t pronounce is probably not advisable.

Title aside, really liking the look of this game.

6. mrd says:

Ok absolutely love the look of that. Definitely keeping an eye out for this one.

7. barichnikov says:

Just want to say that Sang-Froid in french does literally mean “cold blood” but it’s an expression that means “unwavering courage”. These lumberjacks have “sang-froid”!

• lionheart says:

Here in the UK at least, the phrase is well known enough that it shouldn’t really require an explanation. If they used it as the title of their game it’s also safe to assume the meaning is common knowledge in most of the English speaking world.

• Anabasis says:

Not to presume to speak for every single Anglophone in North America, but I don’t think it’s a particularly common phrase here. In my experience the term “cold blooded”in American English usually refers to cruelty. The concept of “cold blood= courageous” isn’t totally unfamiliar though, hence phrases like “he’s got ice water in his veins” and so forth.

8. Caiman says:

I stumbled across this on Greenlight the other day, and it’s one of those wonderful moments where you begin thinking “What rubbish is this that’s being foisted upon me?”, which is a thought never too far from your mind when trawling Greenlight, and suddenly realise you’ve found a gem. For some reason I absolutely love this and will be supporting it by throwing money in its general direction when it is released.

• Hoaxfish says:

Unfortunately, even when you find a gem, it’s still hard to distinguish it from the junk. The mix of good games with “indie” graphics, crap games with “AAA” screenshots, “ideas”, and a wholesale smear of vague information means I’ve often looked at apparent gems (according to other people) and not seem the merit.

That there is so much crap just reinforces the idea that what you’re looking at, at any specific time, is probably crap.

9. matty_gibbon says:

I came here for a poem about trees! I demand satisfaction!

• smiler says:

I know a poem about a werewolf if that’s any compensation

A Boat by Richard Brautigan

He looked
      like a boat
      out on the dark
      water.

Feel any better now?

• wu wei says:

I know I am, the poem is fantastic, thank you for mentioning it.

10. viibii says:

They have only 6% on Greenlight, it’s taking forever ;-) !
    They need more vote!

• iniudan says:

Already did my part quite a bit ago, actually on first day greenlight was up, guess I came to notice it easily for I am French Canadian like the dev, so for me it nice to see a game based on local folklore. =)

jrodman says:

Me 2! It was one of the very few titles on greenlight that sold itself without appealing to my genre preferences.

11. Hunchback says:

Looks awesome! Really love the art style, the idea, how it’s done… everything.

I hope they polish it well and it will definitely rock! Finally something fresh!

12. Hoaxfish says:

The guys behind Castle Story endorsed this as well, which is how I ended up on their greenlight page.

• b0rsuk says:

In fact, devs of this game taught game design at university. They were Castle Story guys’ mentors.

13. Sp4rkR4t says:

Found this on GreenLight earlier, it does look like it could be something very special and I hope it reaches the target.

14. Superpat says:

Always excited to see indy’s from my homeland! Coop would be a good idea for this as well

15. EPICTHEFAIL says:

Well, now i`ve got the Lumberjack Song looping through my head. Certainly considering this. These guys get a thumbs up.

16. SuperNashwanPower says:

Watching this guy play it is almost poetic. I wish I had the patience for strategy games. Where can I download some?

17. Lilliput King says:

This looks a lot of fun, and I appreciate the 10-minutes-of-gameplay style trailer. Thumbs up from me, definitely.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Agreed! Trailers should definitely include More Of This Sort Of Thing. The game just sells itself, admittedly in the hands of an expert player.

18. Easy says:

How delightfully refreshing. I’m sold.

19. demonalcohol says:

This game looks very well made with a style of it’s own. I love the style of this trailer as well, actually showing the gameplay through an example level instead of a CGI trailer or bad electronic music with CAPITAL LETTERED CATCH PHRASES!!!.

20. Freud says:

Folksey orcs must die.

21. viibii says:

Cool intro for that game also : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfOnv2vmYkU&hd=1

22. GunnerMcCaffrey says:

Aaaaand First Nations stereotype within the first minute. Sorry, pass.

• darkath says:

Because the ol’ canadian lumberjack is not a big fat stereotype as well ?

23. Reapy says:

I hope they tighten up the animation/fighting going down. I know they mentioned some improvements there, but the fight itself with the axe looked a bit sloppy which I think would turn me off the game.

Despite that the concept and theme is super awesome. It’s kinda like a more gritty ‘realistic’ take on orcs must die with a lot of their own variations etc. Really hope this game succeeds!

24. hypercrisis says:

Everything about this is fantastic. Love it.

25. sabrage says:

I wasn’t too impressed until I saw “Watchtower and zipline” and suddenly, instantly needed this game.

26. Bobtree says:

If that was the in-game music, it’s a bit more jovial than I’d expect for this kind of subject matter.

27. Canadave says:

As a Canadian, I’m not sure that I want to play a game that’s so close to my every day life.

28. Arglebargle says:

How charming! Got me to go greenlight it immediately.

I wonder if they are going to have some form of monstrous Newfies??

29. Edgar the Peaceful says:

This reminds me of the wonderful Siege of Sukiskyn, from B10 Night’s Dark Terror: