Now People With Expensive Silver PCs Can Play GW2 Too

By Alec Meer on September 18th, 2012 at 10:00 pm.

If you've got one of those retina macbook pros, don't expect this to run well at native res, eh?

Are you moderately to incredibly affluent? Then chances are high that you own a Macintosh computer. There is a slimmer chance beyond this that you have installed Boot Camp and thus Windows on your Macintosh computer, in turn allowing you to play whatever PC games you so wish. More likely you think it too complicated by half, or are like the guy who visibly recoiled, started shaking in fury/grief and needed consolation from his girlfriend upon seeing Windows running on my own Macbook.* Apple people. Whatever the reason you don’t also have Windows on your Mac, you might be happy to hear that Ncsoft’s jolly good subscription-free MMO Guild Wars 2 has just released a beta client for Macintosh computers.

Word is the Mac version accesses the same servers as the PC version, so you don’t need to worry about being whisked off to a separate universe, and if you own a Mac and PC in some form (or, again, a Mac with Boot Camp) and have bought the game, you can access either or both versions. Just like WoW, basically. Arenanet have used TransGaming’s Cider tech, which means it’s a sort of Windows translation rather than a native client per se. I believe when employed carefully this means no meaningful performance hit, but I am quite sure comments will lead to a more fulsome discussion of the issues around this. One definite boon of it is that all updates will be simultaneously available on both platforms.

You can get the OSX client by logging into your GW2 account management page, and there’s an FAQ about this whole posh PC shebang right here. Here’s the system requirements, for people who don’t rush out to buy the latest model every year to ascertain whether the MMO will run on their Jobsmachine.

Mac OSX 10.7.X or later
Intel Core i5 or better
4 GB Ram or better
NVIDIA GeForce 320M, ATI Radeon HD 6630M, Intel HD 3000 or better
25 GB available HDD space

That means it will run on my Macbook Air*, though whenever I run any 3D games on that its fans become loud enough to deafen the dead and its base hot enough to flay the skin from my genitals. That’s why I mostly only play the Binding of Isaac and Avernum on it. I wish I’d bought a different laptop :(

Anyway! Hopefully you have something meatier, but do dear in mind the current OSX client is billed as a beta – so if you hit issues they might well be resolved in the ‘final’ version, as and when that crops us.

* Hey, don’t look at me like that: it’s tax deductible when you’re self-employed.

, , .

1. Brun says:

Referring to Macs as “expensive silver PCs” is insulting to the PC.

Also, affluence has nothing to do with whether you own a Mac or not. Mac ownership correlates most strongly with hipster factor.

lasikbear says:

That made sense maybe 6 years ago (you know, when hipster used to mean something)

• Shralla says:

Hipster meant just as much six years ago as it does now.

• TheXand says:

Only a hipster would claim that hipster means nothing now.

• vinina6515 says:

Ha ha!Great! Malata T2 10.1 “Android 2.2 Tablet! 10.1″ Capacitive screen, Multi-touch, Nvidia Tegra 2 Dual Core 1.0GHz CPU, 512M DDR2 RAM, 16GB SSD Hard Disk, now only $ 159.99! Even made holster valued at $ 9.9! http://163.am/730

• Aedrill says:

Oh, that’s clever, spambot! We’re having a hipster conversation here, so you give us Android tablets to start a flame war over “iOS vs Android” and we’ll be buying stuff from your link just to prove our point!

Well played.

• JademusSreg says:

It’s older than you might think; first recorded usage of the word “hipster” dates to 1941, and Kerouac used it in On The Road in 1951. So it’s not clear here in what sense it has ceased to mean something.

Reference: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=hipster

• iainl says:

Well, with prices meaningfully starting around the £900 mark and going up to far more if you want something that actually counts as a GPU worth the name, it’s jolly difficult to justify being a Mac owner if you’re not affluent.

Once that hurdle’s leapt, of course, it’s down to how much you wish to pay for a very nice piece of hardware design and an operating system that some find really nice to use. Personally, while I’d love one (not least because iTunes runs so much better on OSX, and I’m tied into that via my iPhone), I can’t justify it when I’m a desktop guy rather than a laptop one.

• hatseflats says:

In fact, there is a correlation between Apple ownership (not specifically mac ownership) and wealth but it is opposite to the one presented here: people who own Apple products are twice as likely to be in debt as the average person.

Of course, that is to be expected, for someone who pays twice as much for the exact same product isn’t very good at handling money.

• Merus says:

Again, this is a 6 year old argument, back before Apple had the market clout they do now; nearly every breakdown of Mac hardware these days concludes that their computers are quite reasonably priced for what’s in them, compared to PCs.

Is it cheaper to buy the components separately and assemble them yourself? Absolutely; but you are very unlikely to assemble something with the fit and finish of your average Mac ever since they really started caring about that.

It’s not for nothing most developers I know have Mac laptops.

• LionsPhil says:

Plenty of developers flocked to them because they liked UNIX, but loathed having to try to get X11/ALSA/PulseAudio/wpa_supplicant/NetworkManager/whatever to play ball and let them get the hell on with developing.

This is something that’s wavering the more Apple pull away from UNIX and into App Stores.

• abandonhope says:

Their laptops, sure. Mac Pro? I guess, if you’re into IKEA design. I’ll keep buying from Antec’s P line.

• vandinz says:

@merus BOLLOCKS!

• dontnormally says:

the cheap mac:

• neolith says:

The mac mini comes with a Radeon mobile with 256MB IIRC. Considering the price that isn’t really good.

• ArthurBarnhouse says:

Did I walk into an Engadget thread by mistake?

• Hoaxfish says:

The proper term is “Magical electronic fruit”

• Phasma Felis says:

[/puts on professor hat]

In my experience, Mac ownership correlates most strongly with a personal preference for Mac aesthetics, software, and other criteria, balanced against Windows’ game libraries and increasingly high-quality design, and Linux’s power and openness.

The compulsion to reflexively hate anything you don’t love, on the other hand, correlates strongly with personal insecurity and not at all with relative merits and downsides.

• Tatourmi says:

I’ve not posted yet but I think that there are other reasons not to like mac except “insecurity”. They, for some people, basically represent all that is wrong with modern marketting and commercial decisions.

I couldn’t stand owning a computer with a HUGE logo on the back for the same reason I couldn’t stand wearing nike shoes, I don’t like brands and companies and I don’t want to be advertising them unless they did something meaningfull in my opinion. I don’t like the way Apple are going with their OS, creating a more and more enclosed platform. Sure, windows isn’t perfect, but there is still a huge difference. (That being said I’d use lynux if only it was a little bit more user friendly.) The paying more for less and the massive advertisement campaigns that aim at making it “cool” don’t help too.
        Some of these things may not be as true now as they were some years ago, sure, but I still couldn’t bring myself to buy Apple, because I don’t like the brand.

Not liking apple’s products is, for a lot of people, an ideological statement more than anything else I think.

• Morley83 says:

Actually, Microsoft spend more on advertising than Apple fairly significantly (approximately 200%)*, both in terms of overall spend and % against profits. The difference is that Apple just do it more successfully. In terms of your ‘closed platform’ argument, OSX has never been a closed platform. You need only look to Windows 8 ARM to see how Microsoft themselves are probably further down that road.

It’s all well and good to say you don’ t like conforming to brands so you won’t buy a mac computer, but you say that from a windows machine, which is equally branded, by an equally corporate company (one with a worse ethical and environmental footprint, if you care about that). The only difference is that Microsoft don’t make the cases themselves, otherwise I’m sure they would have a massive logo on it.

If you care about user experience as you say, Mountain Lion has what critics call the best UX of any current gen OS. I guess you should just go buy a mac, and put it in a custom case then?

*source on spending:

• Phasma Felis says:

“I couldn’t stand owning a computer with a HUGE logo on the back for the same reason I couldn’t stand wearing nike shoes, I don’t like brands and companies and I don’t want to be advertising them unless they did something meaningfull in my opinion.”

That’s hardly unique to Apple. Almost all laptops have a prominent manufacturer’s logo on the back.

“I don’t like the way Apple are going with their OS, creating a more and more enclosed platform. Sure, windows isn’t perfect, but there is still a huge difference.”

Why does everyone think that OS X is a closed platform?

OS X and iOS are different things. iOS, Apple’s mobile OS, is closed and locked down to a really annoying extent. I don’t own an iOS device; my phone is an Android. OS X, Apple’s desktop/laptop OS, is at least as open as Windows. You can run anything you want on it; Apple will not try to stop you. If that changes in the future–and it may–I promise you I will reconsider my MacBook preference.

There are perfectly good reasons to not own Apple. You do not need to make up new ones or blindly parrot lies.

• Snids says:

Listen to this man, he’s a professor.

Rikard Peterson says:

In my experience, it’s not so much “hipster factor” (I don’t have that, whatever it is), as what you’re using your computer for. Among music people Macs are more common, partly because of tradition (there was a time when good music software didn’t exist for Windows), and partly because it’s cheaper and better than a Windows alternative. Yes, that’s right, I said cheaper. A Mac with Logic costs less than an equivalent Windows computer with another professional studio software on it. Same goes for the hobbyist use and Garageband, except that there is no real competition in that area. OS upgrades are also considerably less expensive than Windows, and iWork cost less than MS Office (at least if you buy it separately – I know that Office often is bundled with new computers, but I don’t think those computers are the ones that people compare with when they say that Macs are expensive).

I don’t know enough about hardware to be able to argue with the common idea that Macs are more expensive than other computers if you only look at the hardware part of it, but a computer without software is no use, and if I look at the software that I have on my Mac that I consider essential, the whole package is certainly not more expensive than it’d have been with a different logotype than the apple on it. That I much prefer how the OS works is a bonus.

So could we please stop it with the “affluent” or “hipster” Mac owner stereotypes?

(I have an aging Windows desktop for gaming on too. If I could afford to, I’d replace that one. Sounds like it’d be a good idea to do that while you can still get Win7 on a new one.)

• LionsPhil says:

OS upgrades are also considerably less expensive than Windows

They’re also considerably more frequent.

In the time XP went from RTM to SP3 (all free and in-place), OS X went from 10.1 to 10.5. Even if you don’t skip Vista, by its release, OS X was up three versions relative to XP to 10.4. By the time 7 was out, OS X was on 10.6. By the time 8 is out, OS X will be on at least 10.8, because it already is.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

But you can skip upgrades if you don’t want to pay each time.

• LionsPhil says:

But that’s true for either side. I went straight from XP to 7; my experience with Vista is limited to someone else’s laptop (where it ran like treacle and tried to commit seppuku several times by randomly shedding drivers).

Unless you’re actually talking in-place upgrading, but it’s bloody rare that that actually works (on any platform)—the local osx-users list generally advises against it, and they’re the kind of people getting excited about ordering iPhone 5s. Bear in mind we’re talking skipping versions in the process, too.

• mike2R says:

As someone who booked several thousand pounds profit simply by buying copies of 10.5 before it was discontinued, and selling them over the next year or two at twice the retail price, I think I’m qualified to warn against getting behind on your OSX version…

And now Apple have moved to downloads for their OS, you don’t even have the option of enriching someone like me if you leave your upgrades too long. Miss the wrong upgrade and you are now stuck.

Say you have a pre-2008 Mac Pro and you need to be on 10.7 or later. You are shit out of luck. Apple discontinued 10.7 the day they released 10.8. Your Mac Pro won’t run 10.8. And 10.7 was not sold on disk, it was done through the App store. You have 3 choices: pirate (not sure if even that would work if you want to upgrade rather than clean install), hunt for a second hand copy of the extremely rare version that was sold on a USB stick, or buy a new Mac.

• Hoaxfish says:

Windows Service Packs are basically free, and often include new features which would make them roughly equivalent to the “new versions” of Mac OS X that you have to pay for.

on top of that, Windows 8 is actually very cheap both as upgrade, and straight purchase), to combat that perception that Mac updates are “cheaper” .

• mixvio says:

But, to be pedantic, Windows 8 is the first time Microsoft has used this much cheaper OS pricing (upgrade or otherwise) at all in its long history, and the price of buying the full version after a set date is still more expensive than OS X tends to be.

Rikard Peterson says:

Ok, point taken.

My main point still stands, though.

• Zombie Jesus says:

This.
        It has been my personal experience that whether people have Windows or Mac is primarily determined by what they’re using the computer for – music (Logic), video (Final Cut), and pretty much everything else except games is Mac if they can afford it, whereas literally all the PC gamers I know, including myself, either have a Windows computer or a Mac with bootcamp.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Yeah, but now that Final Cut is goofed up I think my current Mac will be my last. Final Cut used to mean access to loads of freelance work that could justify the hardware price, but once my FCS package has completed its journey to obsolescence, I’m out.

• vandinz says:

Music, Pro Tools. Video, Sony Vegas. Art, Photoshop. Games, everything. You don’t need a Mac to be productive. In fact Pro Tools is the best there is in DAW software, used in MANY high end studios. Sony Vegas is as good as any video production software out there and Photoshop, well, need I say more? So, explain to me again why you’d need a Mac?

Rikard Peterson says:

Pro Tools cost about four times as much as Logic Pro, which makes it too expensive for me. In other words, the Mac is the budget alternative. :)

• f1x says:

Well, something I was thinking about:

Regarding iMacs for example, if you are about to open a design office, and you are about to work with illustrator, photoshop and the likes, doing graphic design and managing big images but not extremely huge (with this I mean that you dont need THAT MUCH horsepower)
        Then iMac is definitely an awesome choice, mostly because its quite efficient, not so expensive and dosnt take much space, its not actually about being a hipster designer but the iMac is definitely clever for office work,
        The same thing in the PC world.. I dont think it exists, afaik Sony and HP tried to do a similar thing but it was even more expensive and with poor perfomance (also those touch screen pcs from HP… argh)

• Kaira- says:

Well, Macs are PCs. Now more than ever (using x86 instead of PowerPC).

• Sakkura says:

x64 more likely.

• vorvek says:

By “x64″ you probably mean x86-64, which also happens to be part of the x86 architecture as the name suggests.

Now you look like a smart arse.

jrodman says:

*is tempted to nitpick further. Mostly resists.*

• Sakkura says:

Except they’re completely different in a fundamental way. You’re referring to the instruction set, which is similar but still changed. There is also the physical side of things where the whole processor is changed to a 64-bit architecture instead of a 32-bit one.

Harlander says:

Someone needed to say that, and in those exact words.

Also “in every sense of the term other than the thoughtless common use”

• HKZ says:

Man, thanks so much for letting me know that I’m a hipster for liking the Mac I bought with my hard earned money. I’d have never known if you didn’t tell me.

• Brigand says:

Awh damn! I’ve been a hipster since I was eight! Time to write formal letters of apology to all my friends and family for living a life of deceit!

I always get this unsettling feeling when people pull out the (whatever relevant at the time) subculture card to discredit something. No one really wants to be associated with a stereotype, especially when said stereotype is the universal whipping boy of the internet alongside Justin Bieber.
      It’s gotten to the point that the term Hipster carries so many negative connotations that just mentioning near kickstarts the apocalypse. Of course, the people shouting the loudest are the ones who fear being called it the most.

So yeah, this final sentence will make it look like this comment was well structured and have a conclusion that somewhat solidifies the points I may or may not have made.

• Fincher says:

Is it even an issue of prejudice?

I thought it was because PCs offer greater freedom and more cash value than the locked down, relatively expensive Mac does. Because of that degree of “exclusivity” there are people who do flock to it because of the logo.

• shaydeeadi says:

Don’t get iOS and OSX confused. OSX is not locked down in the slightest aside from only running Mac software. You can do what you want with them and can completely ignore the App Store.

It’s now hipster to hate Macs. Hipsters.

drewski says:

Nah. Hipsters still = Macs.

When Apple stop being cool, hipsters will move on. Until then, the Mac will be right up there with skinny jeans and flannel.

• Fincher says:

We’d be hipsters if we hated Macs because they were popular.

As it is, there are many other reasons to hate Macs.

• Scarves says:

Actually all Mac system updates are now done through the App Store, so it’s locking down more and more.

• kael13 says:

/dons Hipster hat

Do you remember being that kid in school, too? No one even knew what a Mac was back then!

• ukpanik says:

Apple users do seem to be obsessed with social status.

• Caiman says:

I’m not sure what this thread says about PC users, but it’s not good either.

• MiKHEILL says:

Oh go back to Kotaku you twat.

• frightlever says:

Hear about the hipster who burned their mouth on a pop tart? They wanted to get into it before it was cool.

2. mixvio says:

I downloaded it on my retina MacBook Pro, but can’t get above 30 FPS with everything set to low no matter what. I get vastly better performance via bootcamp, so it’s probably Cider’s fault. Although when I tried to run GW2 under Parallels I got even worse performance and graphical glitches, so at least that’s improved. Dunno if the performance will also get better when it stops being beta, but while neat to have the experience wasn’t enough to keep it on the OS X end of things for more than a few minutes.

• shaydeeadi says:

Cider and Aspyr are horrible in my experience. Native port or bust really.

• FuzzyPuffin says:

Aspyr’s ports are native, but I agree they are not that great most of the time. Feral’s are better.

3. Metalfish says:

*Off topic irrelevance warning*

What the hell is going on with that torchlight robot’s left, erm, “hand” in the background advert?

• Lawful Evil says:

Don’t worry, it’s not his hand. He holds some sort of staff, but you can’t see that in the advert banner. I’ve downloaded the picture, which has clarified the mystery to me…

4. x1501 says:

Yes, the only reason I don’t own a shiny silver Mac is not because it’s practically useless compared to its considerably more versatile smarter brother, but because it’s just too goddamn expensive.

Alec, please stop trolling.

• TheRealHankHill says:

I have more use for my Macbook than I have for my desktop rig. All I do on my desktop is game, everything else is done on my MBP. I do my schoolwork, dick around on the internet, code, write, and produce music on my Macbook. Fuck me for having money and spending it on what I want, right?

5. MarigoldFleur says:

I’m just going to eat some popcorn and watch the out of date Mac vs. PC arguments wash over the comments section.

• Brun says:

I doubt we’ll see very much of that on this website because being a PC gamer usually means being firmly grounded in the PC realm.

• dontnormally says:

PC’s running MacOS are PC’s. PC’s running Windows are PC’s.

Hey, pass the popcorn.

• Switch625 says:

Oh yeah? Well you don’t use apostrophes for pluralisation. No, not even when you’re pluralising abbreviations. Now who’s the correctiest corrector?

*munches popcorn*

• vandinz says:

Really? So what are the “I’m a PC, I’m a Mac” adverts all about?

• Hoaxfish says:

It’s people like you holding back Linux!

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Even the pricing thing is mostly out of date. MacBook Airs are comparable in price to competing ultrabooks. Generation after generation, the $500 iPad is by far the best deal you’ll get for a quality 10″ tablet.

Anyway, it’s hilarious how nerd hate for Apple/Mac has moved from sneering at an inferior niche OS in the 90s to hating the new giant of the computing world since the late 2000s – only it’s all about mobile now. Apple is the new Microsoft, who were the new IBM. Years pass, fanboyism remains tediously annoying.

• orionstar says:

The King is dead, long live the the King.

Or,

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Naum says:

Does that indicate that Macs are reasonably priced these days or that the term “ultrabook” is an excuse for overpricing normal laptops as well? (This question is at least half genuine since I don’t have any experience with either.)

• airmikee says:

Apple is not a giant in the computing world, never has been, and it’s doubtful it ever will be. Apple is a giant in the consumer electronics world, and while that may have some overlap with the computing world, Apple’s measly 15% market share of the computer world makes it a minor player.

Phones? Portable music? Tablets? Sure, you can call Apple a giant in those fields, but when it comes to computers it’s doubtful that Apple will ever be able to catch up.

• Reapy says:

I’m a gamer so == Windows over mac / linux.

Received an ipad2 as a gift recently. Tablets are nice, use it a lot for surfing the web. I wanted to code for it, but not having a mac, you are reduced to weird work arounds, which isn’t really something I wanted to get into. Not only that but you have to either jailbreak your ipad or pay 100 dollars to even put your own stuff on it.

Moreover, the mac culture is one of PAY ME PAY ME PAY MEEEEEEEE much more so than on the PC. There is a huge proliferation of amazing open source and free applications. On the iPad, every time I wanted to do something which I thought would be standard, I had to buy a 5 dollar app.

This may be good for developers I guess, you have people more willing to pay for what would normally be freely available in the PC world, but all in all is not for me.

Still, the ipad makes a good read on the crapper.

• BluElement says:

I have nothing against Apple. I still disagree with your pricing argument, though. Compare the hardware, and it’s obvious that you’re also paying much more for the Apple name. This is true still today. But I don’t care. They can charge whatever they want.

What I hate is the Apple fanboys, which are much more prominent than PC fanboys. Most PC fanboys are gamers or tech geeks. Apple fanboys can be absolutely anyone and usually they are the most ignorant since they’re just normal people who buy the product because it comes from Apple.

• vandinz says:

Did he just say the iPad is the best 10 inch tablet there is? PMSL. Ooooookaaay.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

I was actually just thinking earlier that those arguments don’t happen very often any more. Well I’m now going to be proved wrong, aren’t I?

• sinister agent says:

Implying that those pissing contests are ever entertaining, rather than just embarassing.

c-Row says:

I actually own two silver PCs but only one has the fruity logo on it. There, problem solved.

7. LutherBlissett says:

I’ve been running GW2 in bootcamp on a 2008 Macbook Pro. I’ve got an 8600m gt GPU and still get between 20-40 gps running on medium graphics at 1280×800. And yes I mainly use it for music and visual stuff.
    Thinking of going the Hackintosh route soon – a beefy desktop!

8. Shooop says:

Are you moderately to incredibly pretentious and hopelessly incompetent when it comes to PCs? Then chances are high that you own a Macintosh computer.

Fixed. You’re wecome.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

I realise it’s almost certainly pointless to respond to this, but I use both. I happen to prefer Macs for many reasons, most of all the less-time-spent-dicking-around-with-crap quotient.

But I also don’t take it personally when someone else uses a computer that I’m not fond of.

• Zombie Jesus says:

Thank you.

• Shooop says:

Windows 7 would have you covered in that area, AND would allow you open its hood and tweak it however you wanted if you ever felt inclined.

Locking down the entire system, forcing users to use only specific pieces of hardware and software, and being even more prone to crashing than an equivalent PC sure doesn’t seem more user-friendly. If it’s not as easy on a Windows computer, then you’re doing it wrong.

• Crumpled Stiltskin says:

What are you talking about? Locking down the system? Its called root. In regards to forcing software, yes there is the app store but you can easily compile stuff from source code. MacPorts? Homebrew? Ever hear of them? I use both windows and mac and both have their advantages and disadvantages but you are coming across as just a hater for haters sake.

• vandinz says:

Prey tell, what ‘crap’ would this be?

• UncleLou says:

Yeah, yeah, and if you play games on a PC, you’re an overweight neckbeard dwelling in your parents’ cellar.

Rikard Peterson says:

I’m so hopelessly incompetent when it comes to PCs that I’m the person my friends ask for help with computer problems (Mac or Windows), that I’ve ported a game engine from Windows to Mac and currently maintain it on both platforms, that I’ve written (among other things) a piece of accounting software for Windows, that I’ve replaced various parts in many of the computers I’ve owned during the years.

Like some other commenters here, I have no problem with you using another OS than me. I have no problem with you not liking Mac OS for whatever reason. But… *sigh*. Please try to think before posting. I do. (Try, I mean. Sometimes I inevitably fail, but I do try.)

• Shooop says:

Well now I simply must know, what determined your preference for Apple’s computer and OS?

It’s user friendly, but so is Windows 7. Every Mac computer I’ve ever used has crashed and hanged more often than any equivalent IBM PC. And Apple’s iron fist control over every aspect of their products mean a lack of free third-party applications.

I see absolutely zero advantage in Apple’s products other than their easier to understand interface which explains why my fellow graphic artists are infatuated with them. But again, that comes at the price of being able to open its hood and tweak things to your own liking unless Apple tells you it’s OK. The only other well-known reason is Apple’s marketing which portrays them as hip and stylish – that your computer is a more a fashion statement than a tool.

• chackosan says:

As an artist, the best advantage is that my tablet seems to be better supported. In Windows, occasionally the pressure sensitivity doesn’t get activated when I go into Photoshop, and requires a program restart (or two) to get it working. In OSX, no such problems. Also file handling seems to be smoother as well, what with Expose, and a more advanced drag-n-drop than Windows has.

Ultimately, I use my home PC for work and gaming, so Windows is a necessity. But my time spent with OSX at office made me realise the appeal.

• UncleLou says:

“Well now I simply must know, ”

See, that’s the problem. Someone always must know, so we always end up with this “discussion”. The question you have to ask yourself is: if Mac fanboys would ask in every single PC thread how people can use Windows, you’d think they’d be massive idiots, no? Hmmmmmm.

Rikard Peterson says:

If you must know, you can find my answer in an earlier comment, but here’s the short version: My main reason is that I’m a musician. Another reason is that I like to program games in my spare time. A third is that I like the OS, and the consistency of its interface.

As far as crashes are concerned, Civ V does crash frequently on my Mac, but that’s the game’s fault and that only affects that game. The OS runs along just fine when Civ dies. Besides that, my Mac doesn’t crash. My first experience with Macs was what you describe though. When we had to use Macs at school to learn music software, I was not at all impressed. That was back in the 90s though, before OS X.

I’m not arguing that Macs are perfect, or even that Mac is superior to Windows. All I’m saying is that it suits me, and that the reasons for that does not involve looking cool. Also that it’s not more expensive than a Windows equivalent. (At least not for me, with the programs I use.)

• ResonanceCascade says:

Pot, meet Kettle, er, I mean Shooop.

9. webwielder says:

And RPS is one of the “mature” gaming sites!

10. Ninja Foodstuff says:

This is really really good news for us Mac gamers, and I’m pleased to see RPS giving it some coverage.

Cider is a bit of a mixed bag. With certain types of games it will run them pretty well. Psychonauts for example runs very well with Cider. I expect that AreaNet planned in advance to use it and so tested and perhaps even optimised their code in advance so it would run well.

• webwielder says:

A TransGaming release is rarely good news. This will have the same crappy performance as every other Cider-based “port”.

• soldant says:

I have a silver electronic fruitbook as well as a beefy desktop gaming PC, so I have no preference either way. But OS X is absolutely useless for anything beyond the most casual of gaming. Either you Bootcamp with Windows, or you don’t play.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

I respectfully disagree. Sure for AAA titles that may be the case, but over the course of the last 12 months I’ve found less reason to boot into Windows. My Steam library lists 108 Mac games, compared to 198 Windows-only.

I suspect the same will eventually be true for Linux

Lambchops says:

I discovered today that Apple have me by the short and curlies when it comes to MP3 player products.

After bad experiences with hard drive players I resolved to only ever by flash memory ones and alas Apple are the only fuckers who have a 64 gigabyte player. I’d imagine Cowon might work on an alternative but it’ll be just as expensive in the end and the decision would ultimately come down to sound quality (Cowon) vs ease of use (Apple).

• Delusibeta says:

Yeah, it’s a crying shame that Apple is literally the only makers of a dedicated MP3 player with memory space greater than 40Gb or so. And even then, they’re all but ignoring it.

• Shooop says:

Sadly it’s the only thing Apple’s good at. And that’s partially mitigated by the craptastic iTunes.

However, most Cowon players should have memory stick expansion. Hopefully this hasn’t changed recently?

• islisis says:

Sansa Clip+, Fuze can read 64GB sd cards

tomeoftom says:

I absolutely /loved/ the Sansa Clip+ until it mysteriously stopped working about a month in – so maybe just be careful with it despite the light weight (ie low fall momentum) and flash memory. It is phenomenally well-designed for doing its job as a dedicated music player, though. The customisation is ridiculous, and it just reeks of logic and good sense all over the place. Also, dirt cheap. Hopefully my mishap was an anomaly.

• rb2610 says:

Creative used to make a 64GB X-Fi mp3 player, I’ve got one, good sound quality, touch screen is a bit iffy but it cost £200, and you can write apps for it.

Sadly the new X-Fi’s only come in 32GB at the highest.

• Snids says:

You wanna get a Sansa Clip and put a massive sd in it mate.

• YourMessageHere says:

I’m in just the same boat, I detest apple stuff but I want an MP3 player that fits all my music, and have had the HD-based ones die on me one too many times. You hear this all over the place, the market gap is so huge I’m astounded no-one’s tried to fill it. However, this:

“Say what you like about Apple but they do seem to be pretty good at the old ease of use thing.”

is just wrong. Their control scheme makes no sense at all. I can’t understand why people rave about it. Whenever my wife wants me to unfuck her ipod I have to take a deep breath and restrain myself from ‘accidentally’ dropping it or standing on the damn thing. Literally every MP3 player I’ve ever had, Rios, Creatives, Sonys and that weird Korean thing I had that took Smartmedia cards and AA batteries was easier to use. Whether it’s the older clickwheel monstrosities or the touchscreen things (what bloody idiot decided you need a touchscreen on a music player? Expensive, fragile, unhygenic, inexact – the perfect technology for a portable music device. But now because Apple have them, every other manufacturer does too; originality in MP3 player design is like hens teeth), they are dreadful to use.

For the record, I went for a 16Gb Creative Zen M300 + periodic file juggling. Nice machine, if a little skittish. Wish it had four times the memory…

12. webwielder says:

Meanwhile, I’ll be enjoying the greatest DOSBox client in the world on my crappy old Mac: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/09/boxer-review-retro-gaming-on-the-mac-done-right/

c-Row says:

Yeah, it’s funny how the most comfortable way to install and run old DOS games is on a Mac.

• Snids says:

BRB off out to the bank, then off to buy a macbook pro.

UPDATE: Turned down for bank loan :(

13. Lemming says:

More mainstream stuff being released on Mac (and Linux!) is always a good thing.

14. DickSocrates says:

I’m insanely affluent and I refuse to own any Apple product on religious grounds (i.e. I am not eager to join a cult).

Now excuse me while I hang around bus stops looking for coins in the gutter.

jrodman says:

The products don’t require you to join the cult. It’s just the devices planted in them outgas substances that make you pliable likely to believe corporate image pitches.

• TheRealHankHill says:

In accusing Apple users constantly of being hipsters/cult members, windows fanboys have inadvertently made themselves seem more like hipsters/cult members. This cock measuring contest is great. Fuck world issues, I’m gonna dedicate my time to pissing about technology.

cairbre says:

I use both computers my mac for work and the pc for gaming. I like windows 7 and Mountain Lion. People defending one company over another is some form of weird 21st century nationalism expect even more pointless. They all want the same thing your cash!

Still this is good news pc gamers and mac gamers are brothers in arms against the console scum!

• Snids says:

For me, it squeezes both my class warrior gland and at the same time tickles my anti-consumerism nodule. That’s why I sometimes get worked up about it. To write it off as a “cult” or just selection preference brand squabbling is missing the point.

XBOX vs PS3 (as devices) is pointless fanboyism. Mac vs PC speaks to something else entirely.

16. Solidstate89 says:

I do in fact own a silver PC. But it ain’t no Mac. It’s a Dell Precision. Costs about as much as one of those fancy retina pros though. But with twice the computing power…

• UncleLou says:

And twice the weight.

• Fatrat says:

Do people care so much about weight? I tend to use my laptop while it’s sat on a desk, not while it’s held up by me. Do Mac owners walk around while holding their Macbook in their hand or something? If so i’m using my Macbook wrong at work.

Everything just seems to be so “meh” on OSX, even after i’ve been using it for a couple of months solid. It feels restrictive, unintuitive and im not a fan of having to close apps with a shortcut instead of being able to just “click the X” which seems second nature now.

I just got a Windows 7 machine from my boss so i’ll be using that now, thank goodness. I have a Debian machine too but again, Windows 7 is just simple, stable and every admin tool known to man is available on it.

Plus, i use it at home for gaming, naturally. It’s just a great all-rounder to me.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

See that’s funny, I find it exactly the opposite. Macs to me seem easier to navigate with the keyboard. CMD-Q is faster than clicking an X. The menu bar, being that it’s always at the top, means you can target it much faster. The application that made me permanently switch to Macs, Quicksilver, lets me do pretty much everything with a few definable keystrokes. I find administration easier because everything’s in a consistent place.

But hey, we both have something we use and can appreciate for its own merits, so that’s the important thing.

• LionsPhil says:

Build some upper-body strength, you hippie.

17. FuzzyPuffin says:

Hey, I take offense to the headline.

I have an inexpensive black PC that I’ve put OS X on (aka a hackintosh). So I also welcome this news.
    (I do also have an expensive silver laptop, but I doubt it could run this anyway.)

Cider is disappointing, though. It’s fine for older games. Not so much for newer titles when performance really matters.

18. Sakkura says:

I have an 80 plus silver-rated PSU in my PC, and my motherboard has over a thousand little legs made of gold. This is all so confusing.

19. Jamison Dance says:

The good part about this comment section is it is basically a litmus test for helping me identify people to block.

If the thought of someone using a different OS or hardware configuration makes you froth at the mouth with rage, no matter the OS or hardware, you should just go outside and sit in the sun while you think about what you have become.

20. mipearson says:

Response on seeing headline: “Yay!” Response on seeing minimum requirements: “Oh.”

I guess I’ll just play more FTL on the train, then, and keep GW2 for hometimes.

21. Robbenallies says:

Grepolis is the 3rd title of the browser games RTS released by German developers, MMO-PlayGames

jrodman says:

Hooray, now I can play guild wars 2 at work!

23. Valvarexart says:

It already works in GNU/Linux under Wine (thus presumably it did under Mac OS, too).

jrodman says:

Not all wine is created equal. The gl they rely on can have different behaviors, for starters.

24. Miltrivd says:

I came for the news, stayed for the sarcasm.

I’m pretty sure you can tax deduce any other laptop as well!

25. RegisteredUser says:

If the apple didn’t fall far from the tree, throw it out harder next time.

26. sincarne says:

Congratulations on the successful trolling, Alec. This comment section represents a new low for RPS.

To everyone else, note: “Hey, don’t look at me like that: it’s tax deductible when you’re self-employed.” That’s right, we use our Macs for work.

27. Enkinan says:

Wow, wasn’t expecting this type of idiotic back and forth on RPS.

All I want to know is if anyone has actually tried the beta and compared it to playing via bootcamp.

28. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Nice, very nice to hear they’re doing that. Sure, I can run it via Bootcamp if necessary. But I prefer not to, so it is a plus.