The Doctors Are Out: Zeschuk and Muzyka Leave BioWare

By Nathan Grayson on September 18th, 2012 at 8:57 pm.

It is Tuesday. You probably ate some cereal, went to work, and pretended to use the Force to open the automatic door at the grocery store – just like any other day. BioWare, meanwhile, ended an era. Specifically, Doctors Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka – the role-playing powerhouse’s co-founders – have left the building. Now then, I will briefly interrupt this message to read your mind. “Kickstarter, Kickstarter? Kickstarter! Kickstarterererer.” Congratulations, you’re thinking the same thing as everyone else on Earth. Unfortunately, based on their goodbye letters, the doctors seem to not only be done with BioWare, but videogames in general.

First up, Muzyka’s retiring from games altogether. He said exactly that in his letter, and then explained his next destination: social entrepreneurship.

“I feel the need now to move on to a new chapter in my career. With the growth of BioWare to multiple locations as part of a public company, following two decades of multiple successful product launches across many platforms and business models, I’ve largely personally achieved what I wanted in videogames; I now desire to take on a brand new entrepreneurial challenge. I believe strongly in the power of free enterprise to enable sustainable change, so my next ‘chapter’ will likely focus on an entirely new industry, something exciting, different and frankly downright scary – investing in and mentoring new entrepreneurs, and more specifically, the field of social/impact investing.”

He’s hoping to get involved with all sorts of charities and focus primarily on social liberties, human rights, education, healthcare, and animals. Obviously, his input at BioWare will be severely missed, but wow. Go get ‘em, Ray. I don’t think anyone can fault you for wanting to use your earnings to save the world.

Zeschuk, meanwhile, plans to take a bit of a breather. Among other things, his final word on game creation is a little less, er, final. “I’m not going to be working in games for a while,” he wrote – also noting, however, that “there’s a strong possibility that I won’t be back.” As for what he’ll be doing with those tiny slots in his schedule that used to read “Running one of the world’s most popular videogame companies,” well, in short, beer.

“This decision isn’t without significant pain and regret, but it’s also something I know I need to do, for myself and my family. I’ve reached an unexpected point in my life where I no longer have the passion that I once did for the company, for the games, and for the challenge of creation.”

“After my departure I’m going to be spending significant time with family and friends, as well as pursuing some personal passion-driven projects related to craft beer. The main project I will be working on is a web-based interview show called The Beer Diaries where I interview notable brewers and showcase their beers. If things go well, I’ll work on other beer-related shows, apps and projects. If not, I’ll have drunk a lot of tasty beers and may be back in games or even something else completely different. Ultimately time will tell.”

BEEROWARE.

Ahem. At any rate, BioWare’s obviously loaded with talent, so it’s not like Zeschuk and Muzyka just leaped off a sinking ship – SWTOR woes aside, anyway. But they have been steering the company since day one, and even-more-obviously, they were doing something very, very right. It’d be tempting to speculate that EA will start pulling the strings and take BioWare down the path from fan-loving Paragon to piggy-bank-bursting Renegade, but without knowing the internal politics of the company or how much pull the Doctors had in that respect, it’d be utterly baseless. So really, who knows what’s next for BioWare? Me, I’m pretty excited about Dragon Age III. And beyond that, well, I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Worcanna says:

When your company has become a started to become known for a “drop in consistent quality” then it might feel like its time to move on i guess. Granted, that is all fan bluster too.

• RandomEsa says:

When your company comes from “a most promising sci-fi title in video games” in to a “the most horrible ending in any gaming title” in just a span of 5 years I think it is time to call the quits. And this is not even how one of the ex-employees told that Da 2 was shipped in alpha state or how terrible life span Sw:tor has had.

Maybe they will come around and make a good sequel to Jade Empire without the influence of EA.

• Dark Nexus says:

Oh please.

If you think ME3 had “the most horrible ending in any gaming title”, I have to seriously question how many games you’ve reached the ending of.

“Most horrible ending compared to the average quality of the game” I might give you, though.

• Prokroustis says:

Pretty horrible, we can all consent.

• Prokroustis says:

Not all, but most. And many make very good points. http://jmstevenson.me/2012/03/22/all-that-matters-is-the-ending-part-2-mass-effect-3/

• Dark Nexus says:

Oh yeah, not trying to claim it was good or anything.

• Bhazor says:

@Rikard Peterson
            Thats an impressively long ass pull.

The problem is all points in the finale can be refuted with: “Dude, thats stupid”

“We’re killing billions to stop billions being killed”
            “Dude, thats stupid”

“Creations always destroy their creators”
            “Like the great hammer uprising? Dude, thats stupid”

The stuff about the whole thing game being about cycles? Nope. It wasn’t. If you’re going to cherry pick examples from your work to conform to your argument then you could make Hamlet be about holding on to dead people.

Really the whole rant is just “Wahhhh! Stop not liking something I like”.

The ending was terrible and honestly I thought most of the rest of it was as well.

• DonDrapersAcidTrip says:

No, it was actually a bold and interesting ending. Your relationship with this world and it’s characters are built up over three entire games and then at the end your basically asked to erase it all to save the future, or preserve it and doom it in the future. Gee, it turns out these god-like machines aren’t just mindlessly destroying shit like bad sci-fi villains, they’re going by some plan that is just incomprehensible to the ant-like in comparison mortals of the universe. Depressing sure, but not anywhere close to terrible or the worst anything of all time. Fans just threw a hissy fit because they couldn’t play out their shitty fan fiction they’d written in their head.

In fact the ending was the best part, the rest of the series is more or less a terribly written sci-fi eroge game. If it had actually ended with blue alien babies and white picket fences the way most people seemed to want, I wouldn’t have given it a second thought from any other game out there. Maybe it didn’t follow through on the promises of choices, I don’t know exactly what BioWare supposedly promised, I don’t hang out of forums and follow the word of every designer in interviews, but it should have been clear the game wasn’t going to actually do anything interesting with the consequences of your choices by the 2nd game to anyone paying attention anyway.

The reaction was hilarious too. The whole series Shepherd basically turns himself into a messiah and goes on this single minded crusade to take on something he never really understood just because he had “visions” from an artifact. At the end he’s sort of exposed as a fraud who didn’t really know what he was doing and the fans reacted just like you’d think they would “It’s a trick! A Lie! Shepherds been brainwashed and is hallucinating the ending! Why can’t the reapers go back to being black and white simplistic destructive bad guys!”

• Juan Carlo says:

No. I actually hold ME3′s endings as some of my favorite video game endings ever. In fact, when I originally finished it I was so excited by it that I ran to the internet to declare my love, only to be shocked to discover that everyone else hated it.

Mass Effect 3 is by far my favorite game this year so far and its ending plays a large part of that.

• AlwaysRight says:

I think I must be the only person on the planet who hated the vast majority of the story of mass effect 3 but liked the ending…

My favourite bits were the background npc’s stories; the asari commando in the hospital suffering from post traumatic stress, the lady trying to work up the courage to tell her husband who was at war that she was leaving him for another woman, the salarian who’s friend sold her sports speeder to buy him better armour anonymously.

The worst parts were shit like curing the genophage and ending the war between the quarians and geth, absolutely killed it for me.

• Kadayi says:

“Gee, it turns out these god-like machines aren’t just mindlessly destroying shit like bad sci-fi villains, they’re going by some plan that is just incomprehensible to the ant-like in comparison mortals of the universe”

But the problem is it’s not incomprehensible, it’s just plain dumb and it undermines much of what you’ve achieved as Shepard with regard to the Quarians & Geth.

Going with the original ‘dark energy’ plot line would of probably made a heap more sense and still allowed you as Shepard to make a tough choice.

• vinina6515 says:

The guy on the right looks suspiciously like the guy in the GRUM – Through The Night music video.

• yurusei says:

Please, is it that hard to understand?

We hated the ending because we grew attached to our characters. We grew attached to how Shepard manages to just bring about major victories when none were to be had. We grew attached to the fact that Shepard was special.

Everyone was expecting an epic fight with Harbinger and his gang. The whole scene setting in Earth was promising. Muster your troops? YEAAAH. Fight your way to the beam? DONE. Push for the final crazy charge? FOR OUR CHILDREEEENNNN.

Then they made us choose three endings. One dissolved Shepard into a disembodied voice, another outright made him a slave, and another confused us (was he alive or dead?)

Talk about anti climatic.

• Hanban says:

Having finished the game a couple of times for the ending now, and having let time pass enough for the initial chock to wear off I quite like the endings!

• jalf says:

Please, is it that hard to understand?

Speak for yourself, please. I hate the ending for completely different reasons.

I don’t care that it’s not “Hollywood Action-Movie” enough. I don’t mind that it tried to do more than just “big fight, and then they lived happily ever after”.

What I *do* care is that it’s an ending to a completely different game. I do mind that the ending relies on the most obvious literal deus ex machina I’ve ever seen. I do care that, after Shepard spending 3 years trying to fight the reapers, the whole business is resolved *by visiting the managers office and having a chat*

I do mind that said chat makes no goddamn sense, and I do mind that this supposedly nearly omnipotent deus ex machina is somehow suddenly willing to stop the reapers even though they were about to wipe everyone out successfully, and I do mind that while he’s willing to do that, he…. can’t…? unless Shepard performs the stupid ritual of choosing between three preconceived “options” which said Deus Ex Machina had, for some reason, made ready for you.

I dislike the ending for the same reason I’d have disliked the ending to LoTR or Harry Potter if they had ended with the tooth fairy suddenly appearing and taking all the bad guys away.

It makes no goddamn sense, and it has no connection to the rest of the games.

I’m not 14 years old, I can accept stories that don’t end with perfect closure. I don’t *need* a big epic battle at the end, and I don’t need to know exactly *how* each crewmember lived happily ever after. I am a grown up and I do understand grown-up stories.

But ME3′s ending was not one.

We’ve spent three games, and Shepard has spent around three years, basically getting confirmed again and again and again that the reapers are not interested in negotiating, there’s nothing they want to talk to us about and that they’re going to do everything they can to wipe us out.

And then, in the end, it turns out that oh, hey, they suddenly decided to not only negotiate, but basically surrender completely and let Shepard decide their fate. Why? Certainly not because they were losing. On the contrary, they must’ve been laughing. For the previous countless cycles, their victims have been trying to build a weapon to stop the reapers, which was at least an unknown, something that might have worried the reapers.

And now, it turns out that *the thing doesn’t work*, that it relies on the reapers and their starchild buddy to voluntarily and intentionally trigger it!

If I were the reapers, that’s the point where I’d start laughing uncontrollably. It certainly wouldn’t convince me that “we should invite their leader up for a chat and give him three options of how to end us”

• Sheng-ji says:

@Jalf – What about the giant eagles in LotR, surely they are Tolkeins version of the tooth fairy.

• drewski says:

Most of me wonders why Bhazor would bother getting to the end of a game he thought was mostly terrible.

• Pirateman3 says:

I don’t need somebody else’s words to try and explain why I don’t like ME3′s ending. To me, it was as if the writer of the original series suffered a fatal heart attack as they were making the last bit of the game, leaving a chimp with a typewriter to figure out the rest. I actually laughed at the ending.

I’m not about to knock somebody else for an opposing opinion of the game’s ending, nor am I going to assume that everybody thought it was terrible. Some have different tastes, and I respect that. One thing we must all remember is the atrocity that was Dragon Age 2. That hot sick was like being molested with a hot soldering iron tied to a honey badger on a broom handle.

• Hardmood says:

you remember “Dallas”? that smeary series about rich farts from texas?

bobby ewing died and the script let him wake up from his “dream” under a shower? hahaha

if u ever experienced THIS idiotic stuff u will bear evry shitty ending ever hahaha

• Yosharian says:

Not as bad as Bioshock 1′s ending, but not far off.

• LionsPhil says:

I wouldn’t really say Bioshock 1′s actual ending is stand-out bad, although the chapter leading up to it certainly drops the ball (as Tom Francis beautifully pointed out).

Kind of the inverse problem to System Shock 2, really, which went quite agreeably off the rails as SHODAN began to rewrite reality, only to give you a really crappy cutscene where the powerful, confident, perpetually condescending AI bargins for her life. “Nah”.

(Or to put it another way: Xen sucked, but the G-Man’s offer was more positively memorable.)

• Yosharian says:

I would say that it is. Bioshock’s ending is like a scene from a bad X-Men comic.

• Filden says:

Aw. I quite liked the Bioshock

(*spoiler*)……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

“good” ending, where the protagonist finds love and redemption with his adopted family. Not the tacked-on, not originally intended to exist “bad” ending. Unless you’re talking about the final boss encounter, which was forgettable.

I know that makes me a bad person with horrible taste.

• LionsPhil says:

God, I’d actually forgotten the boss fight after the escort sequence. I am purely talking about the good-end cutscene up above.

• RandomEsa says:

How about you give me an example of a game that has a budget even a quarter of me3 and dumps on it’s established lore from the first game in any of the sequels.

But seriously if you have a hours to spare you could check out Smudboy’s analysis on how mass effect 3′s ending is the worst ending in gaming history.

• Dark Nexus says:

Ah, now you’re adding qualifiers. Like budget, and “what came before”.

Most horrible ending when accounting for money spent? Maybe. Most horrible ending based on everything leading up to it? Quite possibly.

But no, your original statement was made without qualifiers. And thus, I reject your qualifiers.

• RandomEsa says:

But I posted a hour and 30 minutes long analysis by a guy ( more insightful than myself) on why the mass effect 3′s ending is the worst in gaming history and if you’re so thick that you’re just going to ignore it without even giving it a look it’s not going to make your argument better.

All right. I’ll give you a free one. Pick any game that has a worse ending and doesn’t make sense in it’s own universe than in mass effect 3.

• Prokroustis says:

Ultima 9?

• Wizardry says:

Prokroustis wins this contest. Ultima IX may not have had the budget of Mass Effect 3, but relatively speaking it certainly did. The ending of Mass Effect 3 was utterly brilliant in comparison to this entire game.

• RandomEsa says:

While Ultima 9′s ending was horrible and the whole game discarded everything in the series the ending still made sense. You had a magic shield that contained your armageddon spell which in turn killed you and the guardian. Not a happy ending but still made sense.

// Before you chime in, mass effect 3 still was a better game overall than ultima 9 ( for what its worth).

• gritz says:

I’m loving the comparisons between U9 and ME3, because this announcement feels like a flashback of Lord British leaving Origin after EA ran it into the ground.

• mashakos says:

All I’m hearing from these ME3 ending protestors is:
        “WAAAH! I WANTED A MEDAL!” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yixG8pfncOs&feature=related
        Grow up guys, the hero can’t always save his mom, his pals and the world. You want a happy ending? Go watch The Matrix Revolutions :)

• Styles says:

All I’m hearing from the bioware fanboys is “Everyone else is stupid for not worshipping the ground bioware employees walk on!!” …..there isn’t much middle ground. Seeing as how I finished the game last night I can absolutely agree that the standard endings were appallingly bad with next to no closure or explanation. THAT’s what people missed ….fanboys don’t seem to be able to grasp that. However the Extended Cut DLC did go a long way to fixing that. After finishing the game, I went to youtube and looked up the standard endings (Non-extended cut) to see what the difference was, and they really were pathetic.

• Shaun239 says:

Since I’m not really a big fan of Bioware I’ll respond:

You don’t have to be a Bioware fanboy to feel that those that started writing essays on how bad the ending to ME3 was were only doing it because it was mostly a ‘bad’ ending* and not a bad ending.

*As in, I don’t get my Star Wars party, Asari kiddies, a mansion and everyone proclaiming me as the bestest, bestest person in the world like my fan fiction says it does. Honestly, after the change to a much darker tone in ME2 I would’ve been disappointed had it ended with a cliche happy ending like 95% of games and movies out there. The ending of ME2 with its billions of Reapers made me realize there and then that the Universe was done for and all that could be done was to put up a fight.

Also, I never bothered playing the game again for the ‘new’ endings since I honestly don’t give enough of a crap to – so can’t comment on those.

• Lanfranc says:

Here’s something new for you, then: I don’t think the endings are dark enough. That is to say, they don’t show what the negative consequences of your decision are. They lack sufficient pathos.

Massive spoilers follow:

So you chose the Destroy ending, for instance? That means all synthetic life is destroyed. So if, as in my game, Joker and EDI had a romantic relationship, I bloody well want to see a heart-broken, destroyed Joker bent over the lifeless body of his girlfriend. And I don’t just want to see an entire advanced civilisation of trillions upon trillions of Geth wiped out in a heartbeat, if they made peace with the Quarians, I also want to see the new, hopeful Quarian settlement on their homeworld fail miserably because they couldn’t survive without assistance from the Geth.

Or you chose the symbiosis ending? Well, congratulations, everyone is now part synthetic, whether they want to or not. Here, I want to see soldiers committing suicide because they can’t stomach being turned into the enemy they have been desperately fighting for years, and I want to see the remnants of Cerberus cackling with glee because they got exactly what they wanted in the end.

This is the sort of pathos I want to see from these endings. Not just an abstract “yeah, a lot of people died, but we’ll rebuild”, but something that actually takes seriously this decision that you’re making on the behalf of everyone else in the galaxy; and specifically, the enormous sacrifices that you impose upon them so that they may survive.

The endings don’t really do that, which is why they’re bad endings (that and all the fridge logic).

• Vagrant says:

Mass Effect had an ending on par with 99% of other video games, I say (which isn’t saying much). It’s a tall task to both live up to all that buildup, and be able to satisfy an audience with wildly different experiences & characters. Most people would probably be unhappy with that ending, but it’s all that buildup that worked everyone into a fervor.

Sounds to me like they don’t really want to bother with the massiveness of modern games production, and are chasing more relaxed occupations.

For what it’s worth, ME3 is my 2nd favorite Bioware game, behind ME1. Didn’t really get into the rest.

• Yosharian says:

Essentially, you are a person who doesn’t really like Bioware games, but quite likes ME3 and ME1.

I think that says it all.

• CelticPixel says:

I agree with Vagrant. I just thought ‘yeah, that was a bit of a let down really, just like most other game endings’ and then I moved on.

• Deano2099 says:

ME3 had an ending, which puts it ahead of about 50% of AAA games that are more interesting in setting up a sequel hook than resolving anything.

If it’s the worst ending ever, well that depends. Which game has the worst ending, the one where it takes a 90-minute YouTube video to deconstruct exactly why it sucks on multiple levels, or the one where it can be explained simply by pointing at it and going “duh!”?

• DarkFenix says:

Fan bluster it may be to say that Bioware has had a consistent drop in quality these past few years, but it’s fans who buy the games. Fandom is what sold DA2 for example, not DA2′s own merits (just take one look at the sales/time graph and it’s quite apparent).

Personally, I’ve taken more to the impression that Bioware were in fact a one-hit-wonder (or at least one-time-wonder at any rate) that it took me a very long time to notice. When I think about their game releases, I think about the first ones like the BG series, which are peerless games even by today’s standards. Then we enter a period of ‘good’ games like Jade Empire, DA:O, the beginning of the Mass Effect series etc. where we get ‘almost but not quite’, good games, but nobody will be playing them in 10 years. Now we move on to the recent shit; ME3, DA2, SWTOR. Three piles of ass in quick succession, sorry Bioware but three strikes and you’re fucking out.

Edited for stupid.

• Prokroustis says:

PS:T is not a Bioware game, in fact.

• Artesia says:

Registered specially to say that PS:T wasn’t a Bioware game, so 10/10, would read again.

• DarkFenix says:

Hah, yes, I was under the impression it came from the same lot. Actually thinking about it now I’m not sure how I got under that idea stuck in my head. Serves me right for posting before I’ve actually read what I wrote, fortunately my point itself still stands.

• Bent Wooden Spoon says:

It’s a fairly common misconception, probably due to the fact that PS:T used the Infinity Engine. Conversely, you occasionally get people who think the BGs were made by Black Isle.

• frightlever says:

When Bioware was bought over the pair were probably tied down with a golden handcuffs deal obliging them to stay with the firm for a specified time. Now that time is up and they can enjoy their payday. Best of luck to them!

2. Andy_Panthro says:

I humbly request the “staring eyes” tag to be added.

3. Bhazor says:

Another career? How about being doctors?

• pakoito says:

One’s becoming a powerpointer with tutoring for entrepreneurs, the other is starting a talk show about beer.

• Hoaxfish says:

Then they’d have to call their clinic “Videogames Corp”

• Eddy9000 says:

Are they definitely medical doctors then?

• RagingLion says:

Yes, they are. “Bioware”: the company was originally built to develop software related to medical services I believe but then games turned out to be more fun.

• c-Row says:

“Games heal cancer. You heard it here first.”

• Hoaxfish says:

actually someone tried to Kickstart exactly that.

Basically a sort-of mini-MMO where you fight abstract cancer as a form of psychological healing/placebo therapy. It was a nice idea but failed to meet the kickstarer goal.

• frightlever says:

Being a doctor probably sucks, relatively speaking. Ill people, litigation, dealing with health insurance companies. Why would you put up with that if you had enough money to last a hundred lifetimes?

4. fish99 says:

On a kinda related subject, I can’t help noticing Sony shutting down their Liverpool studio (formerly Psygnosis, makers of Wipeout, G-Police and many an Amiga hit such as Lemmings) didn’t get much of a mention around here (unless I missed it). Hopefully they go down the kickstarter route.

5. Vorphalack says:

”It’d be tempting to speculate that EA will start pulling the strings and take BioWare down the path from fan-loving Paragon to piggy-bank-bursting Renegade”

What do you mean start? That’s probably why they left.

• Lars Westergren says:

A story and character driven RPG eh? Needs moar awesomeness and online multiplayer.

• DarkFenix says:

And lots of paid DLC. And at the end of it all Bioware’s office is destroyed, but we get to choose which colour the explosion is.

• NathaI3 says:

Agreed. With DA2, ME3′s ending and TOR, Bioware’s fan support seems to be waning

• Bhazor says:

They lost my support with ME1 whic was one of the blandest shooters I’ve ever played. Their continuing attempts to escape good gameplay at all costs in favour of generic corridor shooters or single player WoW clones was just the nails in the coffin.

Thats right I hated them before it was cool to hate them.

• LionsPhil says:

Indeed.

Japanese dating sim with chest-high-walls, etc.

• Bhazor says:

I don’t mind the romances, they’re usually avoidable and in Jade Empire there was an option for an incestous threesome with a princess*. In terms of characters their biggest failing is the fact they haven’t had a decent formidable villain since Irenicus.

*that is my fetish.

• B1A4 says:

@Bhazor: Since Sarevok. Irenicus was just… childish. But I also liked Glorious Strategist, he was the best ‘Evil’ man.

• bard says:

@B1A4

Gotta disagree with you about Irenicus.
            Actually I found him to be one of the most believeable ‘accidental’ villains in the history of gaming. You’ve got to realize that the character Irenicus is an incredibly powerful, near immortal spellcaster and sees you – the bhaalspawn – as just another method for him to achieve his goals.
            I could easily identify with Irenicus and his motives – but to get behind this I guess you need to have played any P&P (preferable AD&D or D&D 3rd ed) with epic level characters and have one of your mage buddies take the whole campaign on a hilarious 60 hour tangent trying to destroy some goddamn village in Sembia because of some trivial stuff.

Log story short – best villains are not the ‘I look evil therefore I am evil and do evil things’ variant who oppose you just because you need some opposing but the incidental or ’cause I can’ kind – doing their own thing, following their own plans with you just crossing paths.

And that’s Irenicus.

• Vorphalack says:

Irenicus was childish in that he had no sense of morality or conscience, the after effects of loosing his soul. So in that sense he was written and realised very well; a highly intelligent and very powerful individual with the selfish desires and motivations of a child. Quite creepy really.

• Yosharian says:

Irenicus is an outstanding villain. I felt sorry for the poor bastard, in a way.

• Filden says:

Irenicus was awesome by virtue of David Warner’s voicing alone.

• Screamer says:

Actually, the current cool trend is to have hate them before they even exited ;)

• Banana_Republic says:

There’s a pretty clear correlation between Bioware’s acquisition by EA and a commensurate drop in output quality. Suuuuure they haven’t been pulling any strings. It’s EA for f*** sake. It’s not like they don’t have a history of meddling with, and ultimately gutting and destroying, other top notch developers. Westwood, anyone? Is there a Bullfrog in the house?

• DarkFenix says:

Indeed, EA seem to run a bloody golden goose abbattoir. Bioware has already been slain, they’ll just jump on the corpse a few times hoping it plops out another egg or two before they devour it entirely.

• SiHy_ says:

Sigh. Rest in peace Bullfrog. Along with Looking Glass Studios you were one of my favourite developers.

• morgofborg says:

Don’t forget Origin Systems. In 10 years, EA will call their DRM/distribution platform BioWare.

• abandonhope says:

That could actually work, depending on where the technology goes.

• rei says:

Insertable rectal sensors it is then.

• c-Row says:

And then we will look back to a better time, where calling DRM a pain in the ass was merely figurative.

• BooleanBob says:

They’re going to start making thermometers? I guess it would make sense in a full circle sort of way.

• Kestilla says:

Don’t forget Pandemic, and arguably even the Battlefield and Medal of Honor series have taken hits of late, aping CoD as they are.

• Stromko says:

This is the first place my mind went when I read this article too. Not surprised at all by the doctors leaving. EA is not a culture for dreamers or the ambitious. “Not like rats fleeing a sinking ship”, well, yes, I agree with you they’re a lot more distinguished than rats, but Bioware’s been sinking since EA bought them.

Personally I thought Mass Effect was really quite excellent (though pretty short for a Bioware game I admit), once I got my expectations down to a reasonable level, and I believe the great majority of its conception and development came about before EA got involved. It’s the Dragon Age series that really marks the kind of decline that I would attribute to that corporate culture. Oodles of day-one DLC, that barely even worked (constant and mysterious deauthorization HO!) and was clumsily implemented (“save me! with your credit card”), and a sequel that was chopped down, short, and muddled. Mass Effect 1 may have been about 10 – 15 hours long, but at least it was a really good 10 – 15 hours, whereas I found Dragon Age way too boring and uninteresting to slog through. Baldur’s Gate 3 it was not.

6. d3vilsadvocate says:

Those guys are visionaries and anything they will do will be a success. I’m 100% certain his “beer” business is going to succeed. I’m mean, there is nothing comparable, and there are so many beer brewers around the world, yet everyone seems to be drinking the same Heineken crap.

Hell, ofc it will succeed.

• Prokroustis says:

This “beer business” seems to be an interview show, which is all too common for craft beer fans. Still, I’ll be checking it out for sure, though I’m more curious about what kind of “app” he has in mind. Hopefully not yet another mobile review one..
      And yes it is extremely sad the vast majority of one the most popular drinks’ drinkers believe the horrible macro ones actually represent what beer is.

• Vander says:

Hey, as a belgian i am offended: we don’t drink cat’s piss like the Heinneken sir! :D

And to be honnest, it is possible to find good beereven in USA, where a lot of micro-brewerie make damn good beer. Not as good as a trappist , mind you.. ;)

But it is like everything: most people don’t like good and lovingly crafted good: they buy crap. In videogames too…

7. JoeGuy says:

Guess BioWare is now officially just another studio under the EA umbrella, with EA fully steering the ship now. Just as a curiosity, how many of the original lead staff (pre- buyout) are still left after these departures?

• Xardas Kane says:

Everyone. Only one (key) writer and one designer have left, everyone else is there, including James Ohlen (lead of Baldur’s Gate 2), Casey Hudson (the man behind Mass Effect and KOTOR) and hundreds of other tallented people. I honestly don’t get the childish doom and gloom around these parts. One bad ending to an otherwise great game and one mediocre sequel suddenly means everyone hates BioWare? Really? Considering that the most dreadful single-player they’ve ever made remains Neverwinter Nights and Jade Empire I couldn’t for the life of me call an RPG? Considering that they are obviously taking their time with DA3, which was the biggest problem of DA2? I’m sorry, but you people are simply acting stupid.

• JoeGuy says:

My post said nothing about BioWare’s position as a studio, just that all the people at the top are now EA execs and their own people. How about stop being childish and jumping the gun because you can’t talk like a rational and level headed person when your opinion isn’t in the majority. My question was posed as ‘out of curiosity’, not something ridiculous like ‘OMG BioWare is a sinking ship, noooo! Is there any noteworthy names left to save my faith??’. Please mate, relax yourself.

• Xardas Kane says:

Your first sentence says otherwise in my eyes. Although I admit all the blinded hatred here contributed greatly.

• JoeGuy says:

They are a faceless developer under the EA umbrella now. Its just a studio owned by EA, no BioWare execs are left. That’s just a factual reality now. My tone showing I’m not happy about it is pretty natural. BioWare is the worse for it.

• NathanH says:

On the internet, the only possibilities are that something is the best, or something is the devil. Clearly, Bioware currently are not the best, hence…

• JoeGuy says:

I’m just wondering though, how has this become a debate on how sensible someone’s opinion is expressed on my particular post exactly? I was, as I can tell, far from unreasonable or ridiculous and I actually got a reply much more within the realm of overly passionate and opinionated than my own post was. Xardas Kane’s reply was far more to one end of the spectrum than my own.

• DoctorBrain says:

> One bad ending to an otherwise great game and one mediocre sequel suddenly means everyone hates BioWare?

It’s not just that Bioware is throwing out some bad games; it’s the fact that they just threw out three bad games in a row: Dragon Age 2, SW: TOR, and Mass Effect 3. DA2 was a completely unforgivable failure; SW: TOR was the game that never needed to be made; and Mass Effect 3 was a tasteless reimagining of the Mass Effect universe as a mindless, Michael Bay inspired action movie.

If it was just that Bioware made a bad ending, or put out one or two less-than-stellar titles, then I would understand your sentiment; however, they created three pretty awful games in rapid succession, and then stood by them and told off their fans when the fans disliked them. At this point I don’t really see a reason to actually like them.

• newc0253 says:

Huh, I can write very long emails about all the stupid flaws in both DA2 and ME3 but that is a very long way from saying that either game was an “unforgivable failure” or “pretty awful”.

On the contrary, what is maddening about both games is that Bioware got so much *right* before they got it wrong. Apart from its flash-mob swarming enemies and a tendency to reuse locations, DA2 is a fantastic game up until you reach its third act. Only then does the wheels fall off the story, and primarily due to the fact that the game begins to ignore most of your choices up until that point. DA2 is flawed, true, but hardly a travesty.

Similarly, the ending of ME3 *is* a travesty, but only because the rest of the game is so excellent right up until you meet Ghost Kid. As much as I hate what follows, I can’t deny that i loved the series until that point & I struggle to understand anyone who claims to hates the ending without being able to recognise all the things Bioware did right up beforehand.

I can’t really speak to TOR because MMORPGs aren’t my thing, but it sounds as though (i) it’s a hard market to break into, even with a major franchise behind you, and (ii) the story-driven approach comes across as more of an interesting failure. I don’t play MMORPGs isn’t just because i hate my fellow man but also because they ultimately are stat & grind-driven than about story.

As to the idea that DA2 or ME3 represent some kind of decline for Bioware, you obviously don’t remember the trainwreck that was Neverwinter Nights, which was meant to be its next big thing after the Baldur’s Gate saga had concluded. NWN might have been an innovative & ground-breaking game when it came to multiplayer but its single-player game on the initial launch was a sorry mess & it took several years worth of add-ons and sequels for them to finally redeem it. Judged against NWN, DA2 and ME3 aren’t failures so much as flawed masterpeices.

• DoctorBrain says:

DA2 was a measurable leap backwards compared to its predecessor in almost every way. Levels were constantly reused, the gameplay and setting were bland, character interactions were uninspired and the roleplaying elements were virtually gone. Instead of choosing from a list of varying responses that your character could give, you were provided a choice: was Hawke feeling happy, mad, snarky, or horny? DA2 was just bad all-around and a major disappointment.

ME3 I have a lot more to say about, since I was a major fan of the Mass Effect series. Unfortunately, ME3 was a rush job that did the entire series a disservice. There were a couple of things it actually improved on: combat, for instance, was much more fluid; the new equipment and inventory system was pretty good. Other than that, there aren’t really any redeeming qualities about the game. The plot was a haphazard mess. The Crucible was a full-on deus ex machina as it had never even been hinted at before. The storyline was very linear. You’d expect a game that represents the culmination of choices made over 60+ hours of gameplay over the course of two other games to have at least two branching storylines, but Mass Effect 3 did not have this. It was one storyline that did a hamfisted job at avoiding your past decisions. It almost completely ignored, for example, the saving or killing of the Council in ME1 and the saving or destroying of the Collector Base in ME2. Even disregarding past choices, the events of ME3 felt more like a predetermined path rather than a player-driven narrative. Decisions made in-game are usually relegated to laughably inconsequential war assets that hold little, if any, influence on how the story progresses.

Overall, the transition from ME2 to ME3 was incredibly jarring, even for those who played The Arrival DLC. Shepard is suddenly on Earth, has been for six months, and his entire team is gone. Characters were dropped in without proper introduction, and players were expected to know them. While the player is still wondering what happened, Reapers attack, everything explodes; no time to reflect on the plot, just go do the mission TO SAVE TEH EARF (not the galaxy, not all of known creation; no, just Earth). It’s like a Michael Bay movie: look at the big boom-booms, don’t ask questions. Without proper explanation, Shepard is completely against the Illusive Man and everything he stands for, even if the player consistently made pro-Cerberus decisions in ME2. TIM ends up being the main antagonist of the game, which makes little sense, as what he advocates ends up being a legitimate endgame choice.

The multitude of fetch quests was obnoxious and did nothing to help the story. The fact that they were more-or-less necessary to raise the player’s EMS to an acceptable rating was even worse. Other “sidequets” were little more than recycled multiplayer maps.

The actual writing and the dialogue ranged from good, to passable, to adolescent fanfiction. Many characters were written in completely different styles compared to their earlier iterations. Mordin, a staunch defender of the genophage’s necessity, suddenly feels remorseful enough to attempt to undo it – even if the player had wholeheartedly supported his past actions in ME2. Wrex, who was a world-weary, introspective warrior in ME1, is suddenly a typical Krogan meathead who just wants to smash-n-bash things. His “all Krogan women want to do is think and talk and think some more” conversation was really terrible and did the character a great disservice. Ashley was completely transformed from a don’t-take-anyone’s-shit, hardass soldier into a sexualized bimbo with no useful dialogue. She seemed more interested in bringing up Shepard’s supposed allegiance to Cerberus than contributing anything meaningful. Legion suddenly wants to use Reaper code to augment the Geth – even though significant portions of his ME2 dialogue focused on how the “true” Geth had systematically rejected using other’s technology to assist their advancement.

Interactions with squadmates was considerably dumbed down compared to previous ME titles. Whereas in ME1 and 2 you could have long, informative conversations with your squad members where you delved into their background, culture, and psychology, in ME3 you have a lot of “Press [Use] To Hear Character Say One Line of Dialogue.” There are significantly less conversations and significantly more standing around and listening until the one-liners start repeating themselves. As a friend of mine aptly put it, “It was like having a squad of Zaeed Massanis and Kasumi Gotos.”

Beloved squadmates from past games were sacrificed in illogical or nonsensical ways to force emotional responses from the player. Mordin died while curing the genophage – except Mordin would never want to actually cure the genophage completely, since he would realize that the Krogan would all-too-rapidly outgrow their limited resources and have to start invading other worlds for living space. Legion “died” in order to transfer the Reaper code to the rest of the Geth – despite the fact that he would never want to do that either, and even if he did, there would have been other options available to him (i.e., taking a shuttle back up to a Geth dreadnought and using its superior comm systems to transmit the code). The only ex-squadmate death that actually made sense was Thane, but he died to a cliche, poorly-developed anime ninja assassin who dressed like Bioware’s art department decided to rip off Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

On that subject, Kai Leng was possibly the worst character ever introduced into the Mass Effect universe. He was poorly designed from the start, and his plot armor was almost embarassing to behold. His e-mail to the player following the events on Thessia was childish and absurd.

And then, of course, there’s the ending. I have a lot to say about it, but I doubt I have anything to say that many, many others haven’t already said. By your own admission, it was terrible, so I’m not going to beat the dead horse.

8. zeekthegeek says:

I am still unsure what these guys actually did at Bioware. Executive Producer is kind of vague and I’ve never really heard of them being hands-on.

• Terragot says:

they ordered the pizzas.

• Xardas Kane says:

Dealing with the suits, basically.

• Sheng-ji says:

They would of had very, very powerful voices in every decision ever made by Bioware. Admittedly most of their days would have been dealing with issues not directly to do with game making, but you can bet they would have had their say in every meeting!

9. Tommando says:

BIOBEER. So long as you leave a little in the glass it regenerates itself..

10. Tuggy Tug says:

BEERFACE!

11. ReV_VAdAUL says:

Welp not a huge surprise really, Bioware has by this point been wholly subsumed by EA and I wouldn’t be surprised if EA didn’t want the founders of Bioware hanging around anymore, acting like they knew more than MBAs who’d manage to climb the corporate ladder.

It does make the jokes about DA3 being made in the frostbite engine because it is an FPS seem just a tiny little more plausible now.

12. HisMastersVoice says:

I do admire their ability to step down before everyone realize Bioware was killed, chopped up and cannibalized by EA, as they could surely suckle on the corporate tit for a while longer but I don’t think I’ll actually miss them all the much. It’s not like they were going to make another Baldur’s Gate or something…

• InternetBatman says:

If they are doing it because of EA’s decisions, why did they give a full six month notice, and why did they praise the leadership of EA?

• Snidesworth says:

They likely didn’t want to burn any bridges they didn’t have to. Very few people are willing to publicly badmouth someone in the realm of business.

• MarigoldFleur says:

Because burning bridges is a tasteless move that only makes you look petty.

• Baines says:

Burning bridges also makes it hard if you decide you want to do work related to the same field in the future.

Console developer Platinum Games has recently been receiving fan backlash that could have been somewhat alleviated if they’d been willing to speak out against other corporate entities (Sega in particular, but also possibly Sony and Microsoft as well). But P+ still played nice. They need to keep working with these organizations, after all.

(The incident in question was the announcement that Bayonetta 2 would be a Wii-U exclusive. P+ possibly overlooked how many “gamers” adamantly hate Nintendo, and flip out at the idea of a Nintendo console getting an exclusive on any game that they might want to play. As for why speaking out against other companies could have helped, Sega killed the game months ago. (Sega is having money troubles yet again. And P+ is suffering for it, with things like a one year delay added to the US release of an already finished different game.) While fans are ranting about how they’ve been betrayed by P+ for allying with Nintendo, the sequel that they are ranting about wouldn’t exist without Nintendo. As for possibly speaking out about Sony or Microsoft, that is a bit more debatable, but the simple fact is that neither Sony nor Microsoft is publishing the game.)

13. rocketman71 says:

Well, this is just the confirmation of what ME3 and DA2 were hinting: they may not be leaving a sinking ship, but EA has certainly opened a lot of holes in it.

• DoctorBrain says:

They’re leaving the ship that has already sunk. I hope they brought scuba gear.

14. derella says:

It’s hard not to be cynical about their “retirement…” It just strikes me as odd that both of them decided to leave at the exact same time.

• Henson says:

RAY: Hey, Greg?

GREG: Yeah, Ray?

RAY: I’ve…been thinking of calling it quits.

GREG: …Really?

RAY: Yeah.

GREG: Wow.

RAY: I mean…I love the games. I really do. But…well, it’s been a long time since they’ve been OUR games, you know? We handed off the reigns to a new generation years ago. I’ve been playing CEO and being the face of the company for a few years now, and…I think I’m done. I’m ready to move on.

GREG: Wow.

RAY: Yeah.

GREG: You know…I’ve been feeling the same way for a couple of years now.

RAY: Really? I mean, really? Why didn’t you say anything?

GREG: I didn’t know what the others would say. What you would say. As far as the gaming world is concerned, we ARE Bioware. There’s a lot of pressure to do my part. Besides, our big space trilogy was going to finally finish in a few years, so I thought I needed to at least see this through.

RAY: Hey, Greg?

GREG: Yes, Ray?

RAY: Let’s announce our retirement together. I mean it. Let’s figure out what we want to do next with our lives, and then in a couple of months, make a big announcement.

GREG: You know what? That’s a great idea. I like it. Let’s do it.

RAY: Well then…see you in a few months.

GREG: I love you, Ray.

RAY: I love you too, Greg.

• Brun says:

As far as the gaming world is concerned, we ARE Bioware.

Absolutely no way that’s true. Your average console gamer has no idea who either of these guys are because they picked up BioWare games starting with KOTOR or Dragon Age, and don’t know anything more about BioWare than the fact that it makes games that let you bang your party members.

• TsunamiWombat says:

“And that was the greatest tragedy of all,” said the narrator.

• Rimesmoker says:

Shush, don’t ruin the magic moment. *wipes tear*

• skyturnedred says:

Average console player isn’t part of the “gaming world” in my opinion. It’s people like us, who follow the industry a bit more closely.

• drewski says:

I’ll wager even people who are pretty big PC gaming and Bioware fans couldn’t name either of the doctors.

I mean, I’ve been playing Bioware games since Baldur’s Gate, I own every title they ever released pre-EA, and about half the ones since, and I had no idea what their names were or what actual ongoing role they had in Bioware. They could have left 15 years ago and I’d be none the wiser.

Much ado about not much, in my opinion.

• GettCouped says:

y u no put *hugs*?

15. Suits says:

I can hear the EA stocks crash

16. TimMc says:

Its been obvious to their fans that they’ve have been taking a backseat for a while, probably have lost interest in the company and finally decided to do something about it.

Visionaries perhaps, but no use being so if you don’t give a shit anymore.

17. Lydia says:

They did it wrong and it made them sick.

18. Hoaxfish says:

Bullfrog, Westwood, could you please open a space, Bioware needs to fit in that coffin with the rest of you guys.

Now, will EA continue naming every studio as “Bioware” or will there be a retreat?

19. JackDandy says:

Can’t say I’m surprised.
    Bioware has been going to the shitter in the last 5 years.

20. Darko Drako says:

With them both leaving at the same time, I would presume that this was planned years in advance. It is standard practice when you sell as business for a large part of the payment to be held back, contingent on certain conditions such as key employees continuing to carry out the same role and profit targets being hit. I presume that the Doctors have both just achieved full satisfaction of of their “earn out” clause.

• Hoaxfish says:

Ray Muzyka left SWTOR last month, so at a guess there was some move to keep him from making waves when it launched. Arguably the whole move might have been tied to SWTOR’s development schedule (“one last job” as it were)

• MikoSquiz says:

Apparently (i.e. I don’t know if it’s true but I heard it) it’s exactly five years since they signed some major contract or other, and that’s basically the default time for your wossnames to pay out once you’ve signed your baby over to OmniGloboCorp Incorporated, leaving you free to finally take the money and go.

21. The Sombrero Kid says:

They were promoted out of a position of influence a long time ago, EA has been running bioware ever since and in a lot of respects has simply rebranded all it’s rubbish as bioware to give it much needed relevance. They’ll be non compte agreemented up to thier ears so don’t expect to see anything for years

22. InternetBatman says:

It’s surprising that they’re quitting at the same time but not working together on another project. That almost makes it look like a corporate power play, but if that were true they wouldn’t have given six-months notice or have written the following:

The past five+ years at EA have been very good for me personally. I’ve learned a lot about navigating successfully within a larger publicly traded company, working with – and continually being inspired by – a large, passionate team across many locations. My teams and I have benefited tremendously from the mentorship, wisdom and continuous strong support of EA’s leadership team in EA’s President Frank Gibeau, COO Peter Moore and CEO John Riccitiello, among many others; the company and its management team have been consistently supportive of BioWare’s culture and commitment to quality and creativity.

• Hoaxfish says:

That’s a good point, normally you see one guy go, and then if others leave soon after it is usually to join the first person’s new company.

23. JFS says:

Bye, Coran. Bye, Ajantis. Good luck on your travels.

24. Jimbo says:

Thanks for always being there, Docs.

25. Petethegoat says:

26. Beelzebud says:

Bioware In Name Only. Well done EA, you completely ruined yet another classic development shop.

Good for them for finally coming to their senses, but they had a hand in all of this. Greed won the day, again.

• Inarborat says:

Not even close. EA is going to do EA and no one should be surprised by a gigantic publisher aquiring a studio then running it the way they want to. Bioware deserves 100% of the blame for selling their name and essentially the soul of their games in order to get a piece of that unattainable COD audience.

27. Nameless1 says:

“Me, I’m pretty excited about Dragon Age III.”
    Ok, I’m done reading your articles.

28. Malkara says:

Tycho (of PA) noted that it’s probably not a coincidence that this is the exact five year anniversary of EA’s buyout.

• Lacero says:

I came here to say it was almost five years exactly. That’s quite a long employment clause, though it’s not like I’ve run any companies to know about it :D

29. noodlecake says:

I’m not even gonna read any of these comments but just assume that there’s a lot of bashing of games that were expected to be outstanding but were only quite good and therefore the company is evil and some people aren’t going to buy their games any more. I really hope none of you guys start buying my art when I leave University because I can’t imagine my work will be consistently amazing…. Nobody’s is.

30. zeroskill says:

I’ve seen this all happen before. It will happen to every studio EA aquires. There is no question IF, but when… DICE, I’m looking at you.

31. Werthead says:

“So really, who knows what’s next for BioWare?”

Aaryn Flynn, who is General Manager of BioWare Montreal and Edmonton, addressed this very point:

Basically:

1) Dragon Age III.
    2) A new, full MASS EFFECT game (presumably one of the rumoured prequels).
    3) A brand-new IP and universe, using a new engine (I suspect for next-gen).

• Hoaxfish says:

Possibly the only thing I find “off” about this… people leave your company; use it to advertise your next games.

Somewhat better than the recent “comic artists dies; use it to sell the latest thing he worked on, and call it better than anything else he worked on

• Werthead says:

There is an element of that, perhaps, although it could also be seen as a way of boosting confidence to fans who might fear that this means the impending dissolution of the company. Dragon Age 3 was already announced, after all, and the other two games are presumably at least 2+ years away.

• zeroskill says:

Ask yourself this, what do you care more for, a brand (as in Bioware, a label) or the people that actually create games?

If it’s the former, you are playing right into EA’s cards. It’s not exactely a new thing they do. This all happend before. People leaving their companies behind and let EA milk the scraps for what it’s worth. They let you work as long as profits keep flying in. With Bioware, this was the case until the release of The Old Republic. Now the disintegration process has begun.

How does this boost your confidence in future “Bioware-in name” titles?

32. Tuor says:

Golden Parachutes…

Open!

(Don’t worry. EA’s got your backs!)

33. Solidstate89 says:

My unwavering trust in their games began wavering around DA II where it became the first Bioware game I never wanted to go back and play. Mass Effect 3 became the second Bioware game I haven’t felt the need to go back and play.

The only way they can re-earn my trust now is with releasing an absolutely mind-blowingly awesome sequel to Jade Empire that I have been hoping and wishing and dreaming for since I finished my 8th playthrough with that game. But with the future of Bioware firmly in EA’s hands – I’m not expecting shit.

34. S Jay says:

They are changing class.

35. GettCouped says:

More EA blame! MMMAAAAAOOORORRRRR!!!

36. Carra says:

Since the best beer in the world is created 40 kilometers from here, he should show up here soon then.

37. BPongo says:

Good luck to them both, I’m sure they will be successful in whatever they put their minds to.

Kind of lost interest in bioware in their recent efforts, but no doubt they made some of my favorite childhood games.

38. Jerakal says:

“It’d be tempting to speculate that EA will start pulling the strings and take BioWare down the path from fan-loving Paragon to piggy-bank-bursting Renegade…”

Implying this hasn’t already happened.

39. Frank says:

I don’t care about Bioware, but that was a surprisingly entertaining post.

BEEROWARE.

Ahem.

Golden

40. Bob says:

Well if no-one else is gonna do it; I’d like to say thanks for the great games and my favorite franchise in Mass Effect. The why now is kinda telling but that doesn’t detract from the fact they created something pretty damned good.

• Sheng-ji says:

Hear hear.

I’d like to thank them for Neverwinter Nights too. I know all the cool kids these days slam it, but it gave me and my roleplaying group more gaming hours than Minecraft – seriously, it was in the thousands of hours.

41. Wololo says:

ME discussion aside, MDK2 is probably the coolest game developed by Bioware imho.

42. Inarborat says:

SHOCKING NEWS

Sorry, I already thanked them enough for what they put out. All they really deserve is scorn for the uninspired and incomplete pieces of shit known as Dragon Age II and Mass Effect 3. EA might as well name them EA Canada. The real Bioware has been dead for a number of years.

43. wodin says:

Many films have had a different ending made for the American audience, usually one where the good guy\girl wins through and happy ever after. It seems Americnas don’t like #2bad” endings.

Talking of endings I got the “bad” ending in Bioshock 1 I didn’t know there was a good one. Though I wasn’t bothered I liked the twist.

Oh Spec Ops has a decent ending aswell.

44. flaming_sock says:

You mean, the same fan-loving paragon that went on a banning craze on its forums to anyone who had any critics to their games?

45. Reapy says:

“Core Values” Capitol Words Corporate Dushery At All Levels Even In Your Farewell Letter.

Either way, enjoyed your early games! Farewell!

46. jussipe says: