We Missed Tryst

By Alec Meer on September 18th, 2012 at 1:00 pm.

What a blizzard of bright colours eh, readers?

Blue Giant’s sorta-indie strategy title Tryst is on the list of Games I Am Somewhat Curious To Play, the trouble being that said list is currently longer than the longest thing you can think of. Having XCOM and FTL installed on my PC is really not helping. My curiousity stems from the fact that there are precious few traditionalish RTSes these days, and Tryst looks straight out of the early 2000s build’n’bash avalanche. At the same time, it’s clearly more than a little aware of StarCraft II, proudly bearing chubby buildings and billing itself as a ‘competitive RTS’. To be honest, I had been quietly expecting tons of post-SCII RTSes, but instead the industry headed DOTAwards and so Tryst stands somewhat alone. I can’t tell you if it’s good, bad or in that endless gulf in between the two, but as it’s out now I thought I’d better at least show a video and see if anyone of you fine folk have played it and could share some sentiments about it.

If I ever get round to playing this, I’m turning unit voices straight off, I tell you what.

Here’s some multiplayer too:

So yeah, looks rather familiar but maybe it handles very differently to what its appearance suggests. That’s out now for twenty Britisher pounds / 25 Americer dollars if you fancy it.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Cinek says:

I don’t know why but I don’t feel like I “missed” anything – that’s just… totally uninteresting. Yet another generic RTS using copy&paste of idea from some other title that I won’t mention in here.

• MadTinkerer says:

Yeah but HotS is taking too long. Also: I don’t owe anything to the Blizzard Hegemony, they owe me! I think I’ll try TRYst (ahem).

• dontnormally says:

wot is HotS ?

jrodman says:

Hamburglar of the Sevahteem.

(It is also the subtitle for the first starcraft2 expansion.)

• Ahtaps says:

You know, like when you have a crush on someone (like Kerrigan!). You have the “HotS for them”.

2. HexagonalBolts says:

From the trailer I have to say this looks like one of those games where units just move around in a big blob auto-attacking on terrain that is pretty much an open plane. Starcraft 2 is so brilliant because there’s all sorts of tactical maneuvering and positioning to think about that makes the game so much more alive than just knowing at which minute to build which building.

3. dE says:

My personal gripe with voice acting and I keep repeating it like a broken record:
    If you don’t have the budget for proper voice acting, don’t do it at all. Really, just skip it. Bad Voice Acting kicks me out of the game at the fastest possible speed. Something even gamebreaking bugs and savegame eating leviathans can’t do.

4. Crainey says:

Looks like a considerably less impressive StarCraft 2. I think I’ll continue playing the original.

5. KDR_11k says:

It’s from the developers of APOX or, as it’s commonly known, A POX on the developers’ houses!

6. Groove says:

“the trouble being that said list is currently longer than the longest thing you can think of”

It is blasphemous to consider the length of horace. To the pit at once.

Also:

“currently longer than the longest thing you can think of”

AND IN THE GAME

7. Kollega says:

I have at least two statements to make in relation to classic RTSes.

Statement 1: i’ve played Command & Conquer 3, Red Alert 3, and Starcraft 2, and compared to C&C3 both RA3 and SC2 were a step backwards. The build times in them compared to C&C3 are criminally long, and the reason to go back to single-unit infantry when squads work so well completely eludes me.

Statement 2: i think of all RTSes, the best one i played was either Red Alert 2 or Company of Heroes. RA2 had very well-made pixel art and gameplay simple and fast enough for me to enjoy (even if it was way too hard in places), and Company of Heroes is a micromanagement masterpiece: allowing the player to build fortifications and use supressive fire is infinitely better way of micromanagement than SC2’s build orders and unit abilities.

8. Moraven says:

The UI is setup the exact same as SC2.

9. Moraven says:

After reading this I think the developer does not know the SC2 community as well.

““If you look at StarCraft, it doesn’t have that many choices, and it has a very high barrier to enter. You need to be really good to get in.”

I have seen people never play RTS before and try SC2 and have fun. Good matchmaking and ladder system.

“We wanted it to be a fast-paced action game – always in combat, always in the moment. It’s a quick game, that actually you play around 20, 25 minutes if it’s a 2v2 game. Even the maximum, with supporting up to eight players in a 4v4 game, we would like to have finished by 35-40 minutes,” Reddy said. “We want it to be a quick fight, like LoL.”

How is 20 minutes quick? SC2 2v2 game can go from 7 minutes to 30 minutes. I would say they average 10-15 minutes. First 5 mins of LoL can be dull while people place passive (sometimes can be exciting but not always, can’t do much with one ability).

The game seems to have a resource system like Dawn of War, have to capture buildings outside your base. Having to manage the ability to try to control multiple places on the map early does not seem like such a easy learning curve.

Wonder if the Campaign is any good. Probably the only reason I would buy this at some point.

10. kwyjibo says:

Missed Tryst.

Myst.

11. Toberoth says:

I honestly thought that was a screenshot from Starcraft 2 when I first looked at it. Hrmm.

12. Retorrent says:

I saw this on steam the other day while the price is not bad , I already have a ton on my plate. I still have Black Mesa to finish, and then I just picked up Borderlands 2 yesterday and then on the 20th I have Torchlight 2 that I preordered . And just between Borderland2 and torchlight 2 my free time is going to be sucked up between those two games. Once I get through those games I will give it a go.

13. revokatt says:

No doubt there’s some room for a competitive RTS to duke it out vs Starcraft II, but this doesn’t look promising.

14. Bobtree says:

> said list is currently longer than the longest thing you can think of

Is it longer than Noby Noby Girl?

Talon says:

Honestly, it just doesn’t look interesting at all. It doesn’t have the dynamic feel of Starcraft, the nostalgia of AoE, or the heart/soul of C&C. Definitely not a buy for $25; I might consider it at $10.