BioWare Teases ‘All-New’ Mystery Project, Next Mass Effect

By Nathan Grayson on September 19th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

Mysteries abound. WoooooOOOoooooOOO! For instance, who is this man? You *think* it's Shepard, but you can't see his face. You don't know. You know nothing. WoooOOOooooOOO.

After hearing the news that both members of BioWare’s doctoral duo are headed for greener (or beerer) pastures, you might have worried that the studio would lose its flair for role-playing epics and start churning out farming sims, 1990s FMV adventures, or tasteful ballroom gowns. In a shocking twist, however, it’s instead going to make more Dragon Age and Mass Effect. On top of that, though, Mass Effect lead Casey Hudson and some members of his team are putting together “an all new game set in a fictional universe.” Which could mean just about anything, but anything is better than nothing. Or something. Words!

In the wake of the doctors’ departure, general manager Aaryn Flynn wrote a lengthy letter discussing where exactly BioWare’s headed next. Here, however, are the key bits:

“Executive Producer Casey Hudson and his team are coming off an amazing eight-year run with the Mass Effect trilogy. But they’re not done yet. We are releasing more multiplayer content and we have more single-player stories coming throughout the next six months, including Omega which is coming in the Fall. But the Mass Effect universe is vast, and Casey and our teams have plans for another full game. ‘Where to go next?’ with such a project has been a question a lot of us have been asking, and we’d all love to hear your ideas.”

“Both Dragon Age and Mass Effect started as single games but grew into vast universes. But we aren’t stopping there. While Casey continues to oversee the development of our new Mass Effect project, he and his leads are putting together their vision for an all new game set in a fictional universe, built from the bottom-up with all new gaming technology.”

So that’s good to hear – if not exactly unexpected. The mystery game sounds like it’ll kick off a brand new franchise, but the wording is just vague enough that it could also be licensed product (ala Baldur’s Gate or KOTOR) or a sequel to, say, Jade Empire. Fingers crossed for something completely (or at least mostly) novel, but who really knows at this point? If nothing else, the “new technology” bit implies new consoles, and new consoles usually lead to new franchises. But we’ll see.

As for Mass Effect, speculation very confidently pointed to an MMO a short few months ago. But times have changed, and SWTOR didn’t exactly have the most graceful landing. So once again, the range of possibilities is wide open. That in mind – beyond the obvious beats of “outer space, no elevators, and an ending that’s both bullet-proof and willing to take a bullet for you” – what would you like out of a new Mass Effect game? Heck, do you even want another Mass Effect game?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Keneb says:

I feel like I really shouldn’t want another Mass Effect.

But I do, I really do.

• Tritagonist says:

I have the same feeling. For all the mess that ME3 created with its ending, the often bland game-play and the largely adolescent story-lines – I feel BioWare really nailed the art-design, atmosphere, and some of the other peripheral aspects of world creation with their Mass Effect games. I may not pre-order or buy at launch, but I am indeed still very much interested in Mass Effect games.

• darkrenown says:

perhaps now you see the reason for the mediocre ending. If they want to do a game set further in the future, the canon ending has to be at least similar to the ending you experienced in mass effect.

• RobinOttens says:

But the Final Hours of Mass Effect 3 article/app-thing and some interviews seemed to say at least Casey Hudson himself had no interest to place any new ME games chronologically after the end of ME3. The end of ME3 will remain the end of the timeline for now.

And even with the original three CG ending cutscenes looking similar, they still implied three very different futures for the ME world. It would require a big timeskip or some huge retconning to say those three endings led to the same ‘canon’ ending.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

Yes, this exactly. You’d get the whole Deus Ex 2 mess all over again where when they can’t decide which ending to make cannon, somehow three mutually exclusive options are now ALL canon.

• Bhazor says:

Badly written games with bland gameplay? Sign me up!

Anyone else think Bioware only has fans because there is so little competition in the “Big Budget almost an RPG” field?

• ferdy says:

That’s true, but can you think of a major company that deserves its fans?

• mouton says:

They do some things very well, though, like dialogues and characters. Sadly, they tend to lack in the grand scale of things.

• x1501 says:

True, the overall storyline is a tired cliche, but calling the Mass Effect trilogy badly written is just disingenuous. As far as we’re talking strictly about games and not literature, it actually has some of the best writing out there. If you want to see what really bad writing looks like, try playing a JPRG or one of Bethesda’s games.

• obie191970 says:

Agreed. In terms of writing and story for WRPG’s, nobody compares to Bioware and Obisdian. And Obsidian has probably taken the lead in that department.

• Ztroskotanec says:

Just because the standard for writing in games is absymally low doesn’t make the writing good. And Bioware’s not even at the top of the games pile–Rockstar and Naughty Dog, for example, have put out stuff that’s worlds better.

• Hoaxfish says:

I want a decent Sci-Fi RPG, non-Grimdark, non-Post Apocalyptic… however I’m not really sure the existing Mass Effects provide anything but the most basic level of that.

Another Mass Effect might get there, but it also might just become a horrible bland cash-cow series.

• Kollega says:

I just have to say that this person is right. Mass Effect, at least the first part, was great because it has shown us an interplanetary future society that is not atrociously evil and not barely scraping by, but more or less prospers.

• Bhazor says:

Apart from the evil corporations breeding super weapons, massive race wars and three existential threats in the last 100 years.

Star Trek it aint.

• mouton says:

Hardly grimdark either.

• The Random One says:

Mass Effect most certainly IS Star Trek. They even have aliens that are obviously people in rubber suits!

• Stromko says:

Hey don’t single out the Asari, everybody’s wearing rubber clothing in the future!

• Mad Hamish says:

and it started out so well. I still remember hearing the classic scifi synth for the first time on the ME title screen. I thought science fiction had returned to the game space. It kinda did. If only briefly and superficially. Then came the all encompassing drama, the “epicness”, the Clint Mansell, the apocalypse and all the other fads that already had their hand in ruining sci fi in film. Maybe some day.

• Edradour says:

I’d like a game in the vein of Mass Effect ( Sci-fi third person but with more role playing ) just with an entirely new universe, thats what hooked me in the first ME :/

• The Random One says:

I want a new Mass Effect that’s a sequel to the first one. Y’ know, that one game in which you’d scour a planet for weird stuff and one of the rewards was a two-page storylet.

• Insurgence says:

My initial reaction was that I did not want another Mass Effect after the 3 one, but then I looked back, and realized how much I fun I ultimately had with the ME series as a whole. Hell, I even went back and played ME3 multiple times, just never completing it after my first run through (in which I just selected the different endings so that I could see the main ones). Although it is my hope that they do not go back and break their promises and make the same mistakes.

2. Brodo Swaggins says:

How would Bioware incorporate a new story into the Mass Effect universe, unless they set it before/during the events with Shepard? I mean, color-coded endings aside, the potential consequences of each were pretty apocalyptic… would they just choose a single canon ending?

• TechnicalBen says:

I really wish they’d just go with exploding EVERYTHING just to troll people. You walk in, save a kitten from a tree, then a reaper explodes the whole planet as you fly away.

• Lars Westergren says:

Also, the kitten explodes. Adorably.

• Gap Gen says:

Yeah, something genuinely mean-spirited and bleak could be fun. Kinda like how in Warhammer 40K everyone is screwed, and the “protagonists” are a racist, militant theocracy.

One thing about Mass Effect is that it never really made you take hard choices, with a few exceptions; there was usually a route that saved everyone (indeed, taking a risk that someone else was equally well-meaning usually paid off in the end). How about if you take the Renegade option, people die because of you, and if you take the Paragon option, more people die because of your misplaced idealism, that kind of thing. And every ending ends in your abject failure.

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

It would actually be pretty great if they set it during the Reaper Wars. While Shepard is off being a glamorous hero, saving the universe, you’re just an average solider/citizen desperately trying to survive, and in the end you don’t even make that much of a difference (at least, compared to Shepard).

• Kollega says:

Don’t you think that the game, or any other form of media, saying “hahaha you can’t change anything for the better and will fail no matter what” is not good entertainment or good anything else on the whole? If it seriously seems like a good option, you obviously don’t pay enough attention to all the bad things that happen in the world.

(The point: i don’t need abjectly miserable “entertainment” because real life is bad enough.)

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

There is definitely a fine line between good “gritty-realism” (I hate that phrase) and stupid hopeless, soul-suckingly depressing “gritty-realism”. This can come about as creators finding “The Good Guy Always Wins” as boring and predictable, and thus do the exact opposite of “The Bad Guy Always Wins” which is just as predictable, and also potentially depressing.

• Gap Gen says:

I meant it would be a good trolling opportunity but sure, in reality there are some things you can’t achieve. Many of the things Shephard pulls off are a little unrealistic – for example, a UN spec ops agent parachutes into the West Bank, and by teatime the Palestinians and Israelis have put aside their differences and are building a new world together.

• lijenstina says:

The problem is that the good guys are the bad guys at the same time. Seeing the world and people’s actions as binary segfaults the brain. :)

• Grygus says:

They did that with the very first DLC for the first game, called Bring Down the Sky. I won’t recount any spoilers here, but if you haven’t already played it, you should; you will like it.

• Hoaxfish says:

In a world of constant repetitive endless explosions, one man… doesn’t explode.

player character slowly walks away from explosion.

• Lars Westergren says:

> unless they set it before/during the events with Shepard?

I read “the rumored ME prequel” in some article talking about the doctors leaving.

• MichaelPalin says:

I bet it starts with an old guy explaining the Mass Effect trilogy to a smaller clone of his.

3. Lars Westergren says:

> what would you like out of a new Mass Effect game?

Less Michael Bay, more Joss Wheadon.

• Furius says:

Less Wheadon please.

• Grim_22 says:

I support this. More Whedon!

• MichaelPalin says:

More sci-fi please. Wheadon is nice, but there is always a bit of “not even myself can take this script seriously” on all his works. I want sci-fi that takes itself seriously.

Less thermal clips!

• Hoaxfish says:

Moon, District 9, and Sunshine

(I would’ve liked to add Prometheus)

• kael13 says:

Yes, more of this. Whedon can be fun and whimsical in his dialogue – great material for games – but nothing really ground-breaking.

• malkav11 says:

Being funny and taking things seriously are not incompatible. For all that Whedon productions are invariably full of witty dialogue and snark, they’re perfectly capable of being serious about their story and setting – Firefly and Dollhouse both were, for example. Even Buffy and Angel were to a degree, though they were openly playing with the absurdity of the setting.

• pilouuuu says:

More Star Trek, more Star Wars

I felt like it was half-baked.

The quests were formulaic. Go there, talk to some people, kill enemies, some more dialogues, kill enemies, cut-scene and dialogues.

It could have had more varied missions. Like real exploration (but no Mako, please) and meeting interesting new civilizations. Some quests could not involve violence too!

I’d rather have a game about an space archeologist instead of another game about saving the galaxy.

And more Star Wars, because while it may seem like a contradiction with what I said before, the ending included some amazing space battles cut-scenes which looked even better than the best Star Wars space battles! I’d like to play that at some point of the game!

4. Gap Gen says:

I do not want another Mass Effect. You finished the story, guys. Twice. Give up already. It’s not even that good a universe.

• coffeetable says:

This is the thing – Mass Effect is as bland a scifi setting as Dragon Age is a fantasy setting. It’s only through the lack of comparable games that it’s achieved any success at all j:

• mouton says:

Dragon Age setting is not that bad. It has some quite interesting elements, it’s just that Bioware has problems with writing stories nowadays.

• RobinOttens says:

Baldur’s Gate 2 possibly being an exception, but I don’t see that much of a decline in Bioware’s quality of writing from BG to NWN to all their newer games. They’ve always written kinda simple, sort of clichéd but fun adventury storylines, characters and world.

ME3′s dialogue, themes and world are written just as well as Baldur’s Gate’s or Jade Empire’s were. Despite the modern games obviously having to make certain changes to allow for all the voice acting and production values. Opinions, they differ.

• malkav11 says:

The Dragon Age setting is more original and compelling, imho. That said, I still liked the Mass Effect games a lot….and I don’t want more of them. They’ve told the story they were going to tell. More is blatantly just milking a proven franchise, and they’ve painted themselves into a narrative corner as far as doing it to boot.

• zeekthegeek says:

Dragon Age is basically a straight up clone of the universe of the Witcher (from the novels, not the games)

• malkav11 says:

Having read the two English-translated books in that series, I can confidently say that that is nonsense. There are certain similarities (primarily the way elves are treated), but also plenty of significant differences. And hell, even if they were much more closely related than that, I’d rather have a Witcher pastiche than yet another Tolkien pastiche, which is what most people accuse Dragon Age of being (which I also think is unfair and glossing over some pretty major differences).

• S Jay says:

The whole transformation into darkspawn slayer (I forgot the name…) is pretty brilliant. I really like the lore. And let’s face it: Morrigan was an awesome character.

• ferdy says:

Morrigan was just an empty husk to be filled by the mightiest and fairest of all creatures in Thedas. Oh how i wish they’d base a game on Flemeth.

• Zanchito says:

Lovely! The same approach Dungeon Keeper had, but in an RPG: you’re not the lowly guy destined to be a hero, you are the goddam Emperor/Lich Lord/Legendary Commander and being an Emperor/Lich Lord/Legendary Commanderis difficult, you know?

Oh, well, I guess I’ll go back to KOTOR.

• ferdy says:

I meant as the archenemy or such, not as the protagonist.

• Zanchito says:

No matter, both options would be good.

• Gap Gen says:

I think part of it is that the mass market doesn’t want hard science fiction. Star Wars was a raging success, and apparently 2001 only didn’t flop because people would watch it, take LSD and time their trips to sync with the wormhole scene.

Then again, I think it’s possible to do more interesting universes well. A lot of it is down to good writing and design, and I’m sure it’s possible to take a hard SF setting and make it relatable to the Star Wars crowd. Sure, writing something like Red Mars takes a lot of work, and it’s easier to hire some fresh journalism students to make up some backstory for generic blue alien humanoids #43, but it’s certainly possible. Of course, there’s still the standard problem of companies treating writing as a secondary aspect to a game rather than the core of the design process.

• noodlecake says:

Really? Really really?

It trumps anything I’ve seen on TV or in any other sci fi video game, methinks. I’d quite like some examples of what you think is better.

• Narzhul says:

Farscape and Firefly. If you didn’t like either of them or thought they were inferior, then your space scifi opinion is invalid.

• x1501 says:

I watched it because I used to be a huge sci-fi fan, but let’s face it, Farscape was no less primitive than the Mass Effect games were.

• Narzhul says:

Er, no? It was a solid scifi on every count, characters, story and setting. Not sure what you mean by primitive either.

• x1501 says:

A cocky earthman finds himself in another part of the the galaxy where he joins and soon becomes a de facto leader of a seemingly haphazard but surprisingly effective alien crew of a conveniently placed spaceship, whose unique abilities allow him to escape and later to confront a ruthless supervillain bent on his destruction, all while journeying across various planets and developing a romantic relationship with a hot female crew member?

If only Mass Effect’s overarching storyline had featured this kind of complexity and creativeness in its setting.

• 8th_Pacifist says:

But the devil’s in the details. In Farscape, there are multiple factions of bad guys who all hate each other, and Crichton’s the hero because he knows how to make wormholes which could destroy the universe and needs to stop them from finding out. In Mass Effect, some robot Cthulhus want to kill everyone for no adequately explored reason, and Shepard’s the hero ’cause the game says he is.

I would also venture that Battlestar Galactica did a lot more with its setting than Mass Effect did, despite having an ending almost as shitty.

• Gap Gen says:

I dunno, I haven’t seen a sci-fi TV series that I’ve particularly thought was excellent – BSG was great TV (until it dropped the ball half-way through), but I don’t know if the universe particularly compared to the best stuff in SF books.

In terms of games, Alpha Centauri is pretty good at presenting its universe. Warhammer 40K isn’t bad in terms of concept, but 40K games tend to soften the nastiness of the universe and everyone in it somewhat, which is the whole point.

Books – well, plenty. Red Mars if you want a very detailed, well-researched character-based universe; Iain M Banks if you want space opera stuff; Alastair Reynolds if you want more sciencey space-opera (I prefer his stand-alone works, but his main series is kinda interesting in concept); plenty of interesting near-future stuff; Ursula Le Guin if you want more social, personal stuff (she’s one of my favourite authors, incidentally); lots of classic stuff like Asimov and Clarke have many interesting ideas even if they’re not great literature; Dune for scope. I don’t think Mass Effect really compares to anything in this list. Sure, it’s easier to write something than it is to build a visual, interactive universe, and a genuinely futuristic setting would be alien and bewildering (imagine someone from 1000AD walking around a modern city), but even so, there’s scope for something more adventurous than Mass Effect is.

• Wut The Melon says:

Really, the only reasons for BioWare to make more Mass Effect games are laziness and franchise-milking. They need to step it up anyway, CD Projekt Red is going to beat them on all fronts. Arguably, they already do on all except for the financial aspect.

• The Random One says:

“CD Projekt Red is going to beat them on all fronts”

Nuff said.

• Chronos1985 says:

I would be curious to see how successful CD Projekt would be with Kickstarting a project. I bet their new Sci-fi would have been successful. However, for all I know they may have a much better relationship with their publisher than say…Obsidian and everyone else.

5. Worcanna says:

All i want to say is that in the comments about the good doctors leaving. I said that they might be leaving over the fact that the lack of quality and the “This isn’t what i started” feelings might be creeping in now. Me thinks i wasn’t far off if this is the timing they picked to announce more of ME and DA like this. Hmm.

6. Merlkir says:

*not a single fuck was given that day*

7. c-Row says:

what would you like out of a new Mass Effect game?

A Freelander/Elite style game in the Mass Effect universe. Preferrably set around some point between ME2 and ME3.

• Lambchops says:

That would have a lot of potential. You could have several mini campaigns with several of the races, which would be neat.

• c-Row says:

On second thought, a turn based strategy game like XCOM doesn’t sound too bad either.

Or even better, a remake of Mean Ugly Dirty Sport with races from the ME universe. Krogan blockers, Asari runners, and a Hanar referee.

8. Wololo says:

Hopefully MDK3.
    Also, whatever they do, let’s hope they include Brandon Keenan in it.

EDIT: Freelancer styled game set in ME wouldn’t be bad either.
    And a CoH style RTS also set in ME uni could be fun.

9. JackShandy says:

Well, at least we’ll always have Mass Effect 2.

10. bodydomelight says:

what would you like out of a new Mass Effect game?

Mordin Solus – The STG Years

Sorted.

11. Rao Dao Zao says:

“Both Dragon Age and Mass Effect started as single games but grew into vast universes.”

I was under the impression that Mass Effect was “always going to be a trilogy”? Hell, I’m sure I heard a rumour there were 7 or 8 games planned. Still, the continuity between ME1 and ME2 always felt totally broken to me.

• Gap Gen says:

I imagine they’ll milk the franchise until its nipples fall off, going by this announcement.

• BobbyDylan says:

Yeah, Killing off the main character (humanity’s greatest hero), and totally switching his allegiance will kinda do that. A similar situation would be Neil Armstrong, resurrected 2 years from now, takes up a job on the mafia’s payroll to fight off terrorists.
      *facepalm*

That said, the Game structure in ME2 was my favourite of the 3. I liked being able to do anything in any order, but it still mattering. (IE, recruit Legion, next mission the crew is abducted. Faff around, or go rescue them unprepared).

• hello_mr.Trout says:

” A similar situation would be Neil Armstrong, resurrected 2 years from now, takes up a job on the mafia’s payroll to fight off terrorists.”

i would play that game! buzz aldarin could be on the terrorist payroll for added intrigue!

• f1x says:

In the hands of EA, maybe it was planned to be a twentology

Yeah lets keep spawning them like Duncan Idahos

12. Belua says:

A proper Knights Of The Old Republic 3, with a remade KOTOR2 with all the content that was supposed to be in it as a teaser / preorder bonus.

13. rocketman71 says:

Please, keep Casey Hudson’s dirty hands out of the ending. Or, better yet, deservedly fire his ass!.

14. HisMastersVoice says:

Hudson kept his job? Seriously? Not like I was going to buy another ME game, but if that kind of mess doesn’t get you fired, I wonder what do you have to do to lose your job at EA…

15. jellydonut says:

You killed the Mass Effect universe. I’d give you props for actually ending a franchise, if you weren’t too busy milking it by making more DLC set *before* the end.

Make something new. And get Casey Hudson to finger-paint in a corner while you do so. Don’t let him near it!

16. equatorian says:

A Mass Effect game where you play as a non-human race would be interesting. A Turian protagonist during the Turian-Human war, anyone? A Quarian going through the the Pilgrimage and ending up on the wrong side of law? That sort of thing?

Unfortunately chances of that are kind of slim, because FUCK YEAH HUMANITY. And I don’t know, humanity’s kind of explored its role during the trilogy, didn’t it?

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

I think a lot of people would like to play an alien, and they know that, especially after seeing the stats for multiplayer. The main problems that might prevent is 1) they would need to have a much wider range of looks for that species and 2) in can harder to make a sympathetic protagonist when they really are not human, tough still doable.

• Narzhul says:

Impossible, can’t make a game with a female Turian protagonist because they never leave their kitchens. Sexist? Well have you seen one in-game before?

17. DHP says:

Grand Theft Mako

But seriously, a little less corridor-y, some more open level design with multiple pathings/solutions and a char system more akin to VtMB with that ME aesthetic.

oh….and no origin exclusivity….

18. Nim says:

Err… hm… I dunno. Pass. Got hit pretty hard by disappointment in DA2, ME2 DLC, ME3 and SWTOR.

19. markside says:

I’d love a Mass Effect where character creation is also race creation, and throughout the game your not only dcied who your character is, but what the major traits and policies of your race are in relation to the res of the galaxy.

20. TheFlyingWooly says:

Would enjoy a Mass Effect game where you could be a Salarian/Turian/Asari Spectre agent doing….you know…spectrey things. Stopping space terrorists from detonating space bombs in space.

That or one where the protagonist can be a Krogan bounty hunter and every confrontational conversation has a ‘head butt’ option.

A smaller scale story, rather than ‘only you can save the galaxy’ types, might be nice for a change.

• Kollega says:

I second this. I always thought Mass Effect looked too lifelike for a “evil life-destroying super-enemies from outer space that only you can stop” cliche. Give me something more grounded in the (fictional) reality any day.

• JiminyJickers says:

I like it, that is a very good idea. I’m a bit tired of being the chosen one all the time.

21. MichaelPalin says:

I want another Mass Effect 2, one with an interesting main quest, everything else intact. Something about knowing the Reapers better so the only solution to the Reaper problem is not full direct combat. And something about the galaxy acknowledging that that enormous and exotic spaceship in the middle of the citadel may be something to discuss about. Then I want another Mass Effect 3 in which that knowledge is used to interesting and compelling results. Basically, I want the concept laid by the first game to be used for an intelligent and subtle story and not an excuse for a couple of action games. Also, no thermal clips.

22. yurusei says:

Mass Effect : Reflected

Where you play as Harbinger. And fight puny monkeys.

23. Ritashi says:

I’ve not played the ME games, but what I’d really like to see is them not just trying to milk a franchise so hard… I mean, hell, they went and did something really different with their ending, didn’t leave any “to be continued” sort of strings attached to it, and then they refuse to just let it go. It’s the same thing you see with popular but merely average (for a professional) Fantasy authors. They just keep churning out more content that’s perfectly fine, but never new or fresh. Eventually, once you step back and take a look, you realize how pointless it’s all been. Sometimes, stories need to just end. Sure, you never want a good thing to end, but what that means in practice is that every good thing will become bad before ending. And that’s a horrifying thought – that every single really cool franchise will end not with a bang, but with a whimper. Let ME stand as a generally well-received Sci-fi RPG trilogy. Don’t force it to stick around until it dies, with once-loyal fans questioning what the hell happened. Make something new, and let it stand as good or bad on its own.

24. pakoito says:

Milk ALL the franchises.

25. makute says:

- what would you like out of a new Mass Effect game?

A game worth playing?

26. Bobka says:

With high-level EA employees recently making clear that they did not intend for any of their games to be single-player-only experiences, I’m finding it a bit hard to get excited about a new RPG from an EA-owned studio.

27. Stense says:

I’m on a bit of a Mass Effect high right now after finally getting around to playing the third game. Despite all the negativity I’d heard about it, especially the ending, I really really enjoyed it. Its a series that I’ve loved over the past few years and I think the ending worked well to round off the trilogy. A fresh single-player story within the universe would be a very welcome one in my opinion.

28. Lanfranc says:

I want to see a strategy game based on negotiating breeding contracts for a Salarian house. It would combine all the breathless action of a stock market simulator with the political depth of The Political Machine and the good taste and aesthetics of a dating simulator. It would be awesome.

29. AmateurScience says:

I would quite like them to retrofit the combat/levelling engine of ME3 over 2 and 1 and release the whole trilogy with DLC as one contiguous Shepard nerdgasm.

That’ll do.

30. newc0253 says:

What would I like out of a new Mass Effect game?

Something that allows me to continue to play in the Mass Effect universe without (a) the threat of Reapers hanging over my head and (b) having to remember any of the horrible, stupid endings from ME3.

The problem is, of course, that – despite that they just changed the colour of the explosions – each ME3 ending has radically different consequences for the galaxy. So there’s no way they could fudge it; they’d just have to pick one and make it canon. And they’re all terrible in their own right, although Destruct is probably the least bad of the three.

Failing that, they could do a Knights of the Old Mass Effect prequel series about the early days of the humans meeting the Turians, etc. Kind of like Enterprise without the beagle.

31. D3xter says:

They truly couldn’t have left a more worthy successor for the legacy of BioWare: http://www.gatheryourparty.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/FlynnTweet.png

32. skyturnedred says:

“From there I went on to Jade Empire (which still holds a special place in my heart as a game)”

I really like this part. Jade Empire 2 needs to happen.

33. Jason Moyer says:

I’m not sure the Mass Effect universe could handle a second ancient evil awakening and a chosen one player character being tasked with defeating it.

34. PsychoWedge says:

“what would you like out of a new Mass Effect game?”

Well, there can only be one answer to that: A Mass Effect RTS in which we play the godchild in his role as a commander and harvest the galaxy to build the first reaper. It would include all the mind blowing stupidity Bioware created with the ME3 (EC) ending but also would go even further in forcing us to switch into the child’s head and listening to all the reasoning in a first person pov.

It would be the best game ever! A game one could only play while on an acid trip…

35. Lemming says:

You know, it actually feels quite nice being able to disregard Bioware now that all the proper RPGs are coming via Kickstarter. After what they did with Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic they’ve lost their good will with me. And it’s rather refreshing not to have to rely on them, hoping they’ll get it finally right.

36. noodlecake says:

I will remain optimistic on this one. I’ve liked most of their other games, despite their flaws. Good luck to them. Hope they do a good job and don’t fall into the trap of trying to please gamers stuck in the 90′s.

• djim says:

I do not understand all this bile directed at Bioware. Their games are good and people that cite the ME3 ending conveniently forget how awsome the rest of the game is. I also like SWTOR and still have a subscription on it (will remove it when it goes ftp). I even thought DA2 was a fun game, although i agree it was a quick money grab, hope the new one is back on track.

• Kadayi says:

Heh some of them are stuck in the 1890s I’d hazard. :)

37. Kadayi says:

I’d like to see them maybe tackle a hard sci-fi game and perhaps lose the morality meter & MOR nature of their products.

38. Vinraith says:

Mass Effect 3 was lovely (multiplayer integration aside), but there’s nowhere for that series to go from here. Leave it be.

• djim says:

I agree for now. They should concentrate their resources in crafting a new world for their new franchise. I think taking a few years off Mass Effect will also help them gather new ideas. The game has enough fanbase that they will make new games in the Mass Effect universe.

• TormDK says:

The multiplayer was,and remains great!

Sure, there’s the odd bug and balance issues, but it’s a good way to Waste some time with your friends.

Plus, it’s like pokemon with all the different classes and guns to get. I must have spent at least the purchase sum on ME3 on Bioware points because I don’t have the patience to grind as much as I’d like.

So it’s a good Cash sink as well.

• Vinraith says:

I didn’t say it wasn’t, I said the integration was problematic. I don’t care about the multiplayer, and I don’t much appreciate any attempt to force me to care about the multiplayer. Later patching pretty much resolved the issue, but it was still a horrible idea in the first place to tie MP and SP together that way.

39. MarigoldFleur says:

I don’t know if I want a new Bioware game, let alone a new Mass Effect game. After Dragon Age 2, SWTOR, and Mass Effect 3 for all but a handful of missions I don’t think I have enough consumer confidence to give them any more of my money.

40. Bluerps says:

A new ME could be a great thing, as long as they don’t make a prequel. I hate prequels in general, but a ME-prequel would be even worse. I think I’d just shout in the face of every NPC “You are most likely going to explode in a couple of years! Do you hear me? EXPLODE! And your puppy too!”

No, what I would like is a game about how the galaxy rebuilds after the reaper invasion. A really large-scale game, that covers decades, or even a century of time.
    That would be a challenge for Bioware, because they’d have to figure out some way to deal with the endings of ME3, but I don’t think it would be impossible.

41. Sparkasaurusmex says:

What will make me want a new Mass Effect?
    Lead on PC, port to console.

42. Grim_22 says:

I love both Mass Effect and Dragon Age, but in this time of (assumed) uncertainty within the company, I feel that we don’t need more of those franchises. There’s too much controversy around them, and frankly it would be good for Bioware to go back to something nostalgic, like a single-player KotOR or Baldur’s Gate. I’m confident that they’d be too scared to fuck one of those up, and maybe it would win some of their intended target audience back.

43. yoggesothothe says:

I haven’t gone through all the comments yet, maybe someone mentioned this, but the only way a new Mass Effect game would make sense is if it was placed in a completely different time line situated several millennia away so that a conflict just as dire and pressing could once again come into play.

Perhaps the original story of the Protheans, and this time we would all already know that everyone is screwed from the get go, adding an even further fatalistic element to an already bleak situation.

Full disclosure: I loved the original ending to ME3 because it depressed the hell out of me. For days. Not too many games around these days that generates that kind of lasting emotional searching.

44. Rhalle says:

Bioware is done.

Mass Effect 3 showed that– and not just the horrendous ending.

They might live on in name and make more consoletard Gears of War and gay-romance-mongering LARPer fans, but short of those fine folks, it’s over.

What old-timer is left, now? D. Gaider?

• Trevoresque says:

I think appealing to gaymongers was one of Bioware’s better moves, since I was getting sick of heteromancing all the time. I otherwise agree.

45. Popcornicus says:

A fictional universe? God damnit why can’t they set it in the real universe?

46. Iliya Moroumetz says:

The best way to make a Mass Effect 4?

Hand wave away the endings.

Just say ‘We Beat Reapers.” and say nothing more about the matters. No explanation. No allusions to those craptastic endings. No nothing!

Just hop into the story and you’ll be fine. (It’s better to cut off a bad story thread than let it continue.)

47. TimMc says:

Bioware haven’t written an interesting story since KOTOR, and even that was outdone by Obsidian in KOTOR2. All bioware has going for it is good character writing.

48. yuri999 says:

No matter how badly Bioware screws up some stuff in their games now the two things they always do great is making every game atmospheric and using great music.

The main menu music for Mass Effect 3 is just so…. haunting and depressing not to mention the music which plays after making the final choice.

49. cassus says:

I think their flair for role playing epics dwindled quite some time before the doctors left. The last good epic rpg they made was DA1. I’m sure mass effect has its fans for a reason, but I’m fairly sure that the guys who play the ME games care very little for what RPG’s in the olden days were known for, which was complexity and flexibility in addition to story. ME is so stripped down and basic it might as well be a really lengthy CoD game with a good (depending on who you talk to) and engrossing story.

Not to bring up the BioWare lady that wanted skippable gameplay, but she’s absolutely right when it comes to the bioware games. I’d actually watch that whole story unfold if it meant I didn’t have to play any of the gameplay bits, cause they are absolute garbage if you’re expecting an RPG. If you’re expecting a shooter, it’s probably still garbage.. Actually have no idea why people would play those games aside from the story..

Comment on this story