Cube World: Now With More Hang Gliders (And Cubes)

By Nathan Grayson on September 19th, 2012 at 11:00 am.

I feel like tiny blocks are perhaps not the most aerodynamic materials from which to construct a hang glider. But clearly, it's working here, so to each their own.

If, for some reason, all the world’s game developers suddenly decided to drop whatever else they were doing, take up gleaming blades and blood-rusted cudgels, and engage in an orchestrally-scored melee brawl for the ages, I feel like the mighty Voxel Army would win based on sheer numbers alone. These days, there are zillions of the things, and of course, no one knows why. That said, Cube World continues to intrigue me – perhaps by way of loading itself down with incredibly specific things that I like. Puppies? Sure. Monster-Hunter-esque giganto-battles? Yup. And now hang gliders, because… well, let’s not question this idea, lest it become frightened and scamper back into the magical woodland from which it emerged.

So there are actually quite a few new things to keep an eye out for here – foremost among them, co-op multiplayer. As Wollay explains in a new blog post, sprinting’s now in, as is the oft-requested ability for blows to stun enemies. Full-fledged dungeons are also (naturally) part of the picture, and you can evidently hang glide inside them. Apparently rare zones with stronger enemies and better loot and zones with more varied terrain (for instance, lava) are also on the way.

Obviously, there’s a lot here. My biggest concern is whether or not it can all fit together coherently. I mean, I see voxel-shaped strokes of Monster Hunter, Zelda, Minecraft, and Diablo in this video alone. So hopefully, Wollay can stitch all those individual threads together – lest we end up with yet another diffuse, unfocused sandbox. (Which is not to say I don’t also appreciate those. I do, however, think we already have plenty of them.)

It’s still set to be playable by the public “when it’s done :)”, and Wollay seems pretty adamant about taking that road to release over, say, an open-to-the-public alpha. I’d pass the time by actually hang-gliding with a puppy, but I think you need some kind of permit for that.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Zanchito says:

I’ve been following this game since long ago, I hope it turns out as good as it looks!

2. Uglycat says:

I like the fact it has a humidity %.

3. timberhat says:

MMO games lists, game guides, unbiased reviews, exclusive videos, community ratings and Free MMORPG contests.

4. Miltrivd says:

This game keeps getting better and better each time, I’m just worried it’s never going to achieve a “finished” status, never to the author’s satisfaction since Wollay seems to have so many incredibly good ideas for it.

This game has been looking great from the very first videos and blog updates, but when co-op made it into the list, it was like a dream come true.

I keep both eyes and my torso on this, and many should be doing the same.

5. Gap Gen says:

One thing I like about Minecraft is how it’s made lo-fi graphics acceptable. Now well-considered programmer art is less of an impediment, and you don’t need to spend all your time making models to compete with Call of Shooty or Battlepasture.

• InternetBatman says:

Programmer art was acceptable before Minecraft. Think about VVVVV or Bittrip. But just like then the art needs to be stylized, uniform, and appropriate to be acceptable.

• MrLebanon says:

not so much “made lofi graphics acceptable,” More along the lines of “made indie developers realize their potential”

Minecrafts success,alongside the kickstarter/greenlighting is opening gamers up to a whole new realm of games and their developers that do not have AAA artists.

Plus, cube world is looking very bright and colourful, I’d say it’s better looking than a lot of games (AAA or otherwise)

• The Random One says:

Add a “the” to the beginning of this post and you have my thoughts exactly.

Edit: Referring to Gap Gen’s original post. “The one thing…”

6. Mattressi says:

This looks absolutely amazing. Definitely a day 1 purchase for me. It looked great before, then he added in new attack animations and it looked awesome and now he’s added hang gliding and it looks amazing! I hope he releases it soon, though I doubt he will, since he clearly has a lot of things he wants to do with the game. I like that he has a great vision for it, can implement it well (from what we can see) and is persistent enough to get it done the way he wants.

7. dahools says:

It looks like Minecraft meets Zelda. . . Me likes! :)

8. InternetBatman says:

That looks really, really cool. The high quality of this game and Terraria makes it look like the start of a genre rather than one successful game and a few clones. I do wish they would officially add rideable pegasi and horses to minecraft (I think they don’t have them now).

9. pakoito says:

DAT COMBAT <3

10. Trithne says:

It looks like the love child of minecraft and a f2p korean mmo.

I’m relatively okay with this.

11. TechnicalBen says:

Strange, this actually looks like what Minecraft should have been.

• MrLebanon says:

without mining and crafting?

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

There is mining in the video. It looks more like fighting a mound of iron ore, but I’m sure it’s meant to be mining.

12. BoZo says:

Cube gliders!

13. caddyB says:

Looks lovely, they are missing quite a lot on building stuff though, which I think they don’t have much of. Because it looks so much better than minecraft and it could do the kind of world building thing better.

Maybe as an expansion, because if I can see this, the dev can see it as well.

• Zanchito says:

Building is in, they just use presets. Instead of building cube by cube, you have different types and sizes of walls, stairs, rooves, etc.

14. Sparkasaurusmex says:

Giant boss fights destroying the environment must be put in every game. I don’t care if it’s Football Manager.

15. Qazinsky says:

This video shows some amazing gameplay right from the beginning, but then he just straight CLIMBED up a vertical wall and now I have a hard time finding my jaw bone on the floor…

Imagine assaulting fortresses and such were (maybe only agile) members of the team climbs up and tries to find a better attack point.

• Mattressi says:

That would be awesome; having wall-climbing only available to certain character builds/classes and having (swift, large scale) wall destruction only available to others.

16. ShinRyuuken says:

This reminds me of 3D Dot Game Heroes, which would be nice if it came to Steam.
    I never got to play it, probably never will.

17. wcanyon says:

He should kickstarter it so he can polish it up and deliver. I feel like I’ve been hearing about this game for well over a year. Time to ship it.