Going For The Hard Cel: Jet Set Radio HD

By Jim Rossignol on September 19th, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

UPDATE: here it is.

Famed skating hipster game Jet Set Radio is getting a fashionable HD re-release on… today. Reportedly, the game will appear on Steam, costing $9.99 / £5.99 / €6.49, but no sign of it yet. Wake up, West Coast America! Wake up, I say.

Jet Set Radio was, of course, famed for its Dreamcast release back in 2000, where it received widespread hi-fives from jubilant games journalists and smiling, happy gamers. It returns now with buffed camera and other tweaks to make it palatable in the dark, cynical times of 2012. Will the PC version be any cop? Toss a coin to decide! Oddly exposition-rich release trailer below.

Thanks Machinima.com, you are the best at hosting videos!

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Sheng-ji says:

Oh, I’ve been waiting for this day! Come on.. come on… come on….. still waiting….

2. Thirith says:

This is one of those fabled games I’ve heard about so often but never played myself. Wondering whether it’s more of a sofa&TV game (i.e. I’ll get it for the PS3) or whether it’ll end up annoying my girlfriend to no end, in which case it might be better to play it on PC… :-)

• Vagrant says:

All you need to do is see if she likes the soundtrack. Which is amazing.

• Warped655 says:

I have not played the original either and have heard its way better than JSRF Which I have played. Unfortunately I do not have the ducats to buy this or any game for that matter as of late.

Also, I want a remake/re-release of JSRF on PC as well since I’ll probably get more nostalgic with it since I’ve actually played it.

• Egypt Urnash says:

You probably want it on the sofa. It started life on the Dreamcast; it’s a console game through and through, for good and for ill. In terms of other games, it’s basically a super-simpified Tony Hawk with really bright and stylized graphics. You skate around doing tricks, exploring the levels, and grabbing spray-paint to put graffitti on the walls, and occasionally on the cops or on other skate games. Nobody dies and there is a soundtrack full of wacky Japanese turntablism; how much does your girlfriend like crazy but danceable music?

I’m a lady and this is one of my favorite games ever.

3. DeaviL says:

so, am i hallucinating?

store.steampowered.com/app/205950/

4. Joga5000 says:

Just bought it, and it’s as awesome as I remember it. Sadly it seems to be locked at 30 FPS, but I guess that’s just a limitation of the engine/physics or whatever. With this and Tony Hawk HD released yesterday, it’s like reliving my childhood again.

• elevown says:

Hope you havnt bought tony hawks yet- just watched TB wtf is butcher it- seems to be realy awful port.

• RvLeshrac says:

On my i7 with a 6870, it seems to be locked at 30 seconds per frame. Jesus fuck is this horrible.

I’m glad this was mentioned in exactly no reviews, so I had no knowledge of it before purchase.

• mittortz says:

30 seconds per frame? There is something seriously wrong with your computer box, sir ;)

But really, it’s not a universal issue. I turned AA all the way up and I’m getting 60 FPS during gameplay (it goes to 30 on loading screens). i7 960 with gtx 460s in sli

5. MrLebanon says:

was this game also on the original Box of X’s…

I recall some sort of cell shaded graffiti bearing roller skate stunting title being one of the first to be released with the console… or was that another game

6. Bhazor says:

More importantly you can get the soundtrack on Gamersgate.

Late 90′s J pop at its most caffinated.

7. Linfosoma says:

Can anyone confirm this game supports an Xbox 360 gamepad? The Steam page doesnt have it listed which is strange.

• Joga5000 says:

Yup, plays just fine on my wired 360 controller. Can’t comment on other brands of controller, but I assume they work too. The launcher also lets you configure the keyboard controls.

• Linfosoma says:

Great thanks, and thanks to the bluecoins I had left on Gamersgate I got this for free! =)

• Jason Moyer says:

How is the port? What sort of options does it have?

• Bhazor says:

Pretty bare bones. Only graphic options are resolution and AA and control binding seems very restrictive. You’re also stuck with the Xbox input pop ups.

Its still playable on the keyboard but its clear the PC was a low priority.

• Net_Bastard says:

It’s Sega. You should come to expect that from their PC ports.

• Jason Moyer says:

Well, this is one of those games (like third person melee hack and slash stuff or sports games) that I can’t imagine using a keyboard/mouse for, so it’s ok as long as it has good x360 pad support and lets you change resolutions. I was worried it would be completely unplayable like the Dreamcast Collection or the Tony Hawk HD port.

8. thesmileman says:

This was originally for the Sega Saturn and later launched on the dreamcast. I am really confused why almost every site claims it was originally a Dreamcast game. I loved playing this game at the time on the Saturn though I am not sure the charm will hold up.

Edit: I can assure you this disk is real and I just put it in the saturn and it launches the game but I just checked and my copy is a Saturn demo disk from a game magaine (I’m old). So they must have only had the demo of it and later released it on Dreamcast as most posters are correct and it seems it was never release on the sega saturn.

9. dirtrobot says:

Hipster?!?!?

HIPSTER?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?!??!!?

10. povu says:

Fair Euro price, sweet.

11. Jehar says:

Is anyone else getting some horrible performance? Like, sub-1fps. I was hoping that once I slogged through the menu that the in-engine performance would be normal, but thus far that isn’t the case. I’m sure it will be patched soon, but I was wondering if anyone else was getting the same experience.

Otherwise, WOOOO!

12. tomeoftom says:

OooooooOOOOH GOD YES

• tomeoftom says:

Ouch. 13 Australian dollars for what is bound to be a terrible, lazy port (SEGA is presently an awful company) but man I just do not care here.

• Monchberter says:

They’ve listened to the rage at the torrent of lazy ports they’ve put out and yes, JSR works fine on install and no faffing with needing to configure controllers (Xbox anyway). It works straight away.

• RvLeshrac says:

It runs *TERRIBLY* on install. Will be trying a reboot when I have the chance, to see if that fixes it, but holy shit is is the framerate horrific.

13. Chizu says:

Awesome game, and not a bad little update. Lacks any real graphics options, but the games pretty low spec anyway, and its a console game, an old one at that, what do you expect really :V

Start of October should also see Sonic Adventure 2 and NiGHTS appearing on steam, which I am looking forward to, as I liked SA2, and never did get to play NiGHTS despite always wanting to.
    And the premise of them being widescreen with silly shiny achievements that don’t really add anything yet I want them anyway just makes me look forward to them all the more.

14. tomeoftom says:

For anyone interested, there’s a tiny/recent interview with the OST composer Hideki Naganuma here: http://www.radiosega.net/news/features/2012/07/radiosega-interview-hideki-naganuma/

A very cool dude. Also, for no good reason, have some amazing music:

15. joshg says:

The link in the update is busted. FYI.
    Also JET SET RADIOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

16. rockman29 says:

Is the port any good? Because all the games on the SEGA collection released recently sucked balls, and the controls barely worked. Half of them couldn’t be remapped to anything.

I hope other people will join me in their skepticism before hollering about how this game should be bought. I don’t want anyone getting ripped off.

17. rapchee says:

jeem … waht are u daing wiht teh likns … jeem … stahp

18. Baines says:

If someone patches out the time limits, I might get it. That was always the most annoying thing about the game to me. My Dreamcast died long ago.

19. thecat17 says:

An anonymous person’s gripes with this new version, copied and pasted from elsewhere for your consideration:
    1. Not having an options menu
    2. Having to fuck around with .ini files to rebind keys or change resolution
    3. Chopping off the original soundtrack and half the original maps (replacing them with THPS2 maps)
    4. Changing the engine to Unreal 3 thus making gameplay feel different
    5. Not properly recognising controllers nor having custom tooltips onscreen with controller buttons

Hopefully I’m not just posting lies, because anonymous. But I can see some of these items being dealbreakers.

20. Morph says:

I’m going to assume these gripes are for Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater HD. But screw that, I’m playing Jet Set Radiooooooooooooo.

21. DocHorrible says:

Soo disappointed with this. Been looking forward to playing it again.

I have a pretty up there machine i7 32gb ram GTX 580 etc etc and yet this barely runs.
    Title screen “Press Start” 30 seconds later it registers
    Now Loading for ages, press start again, tiny intro, press to skip, Now Loading for ages again, finally get into the game and it’s chugging along at maybe 5fps
    Where do I get a patch or a refund?

22. grellanl says:

Hmm, never played the original but quite liked Jet Set Radio Future on the original XBox. It’s strange they re-released the original, not the updated version.

23. SquareWheel says:

You need to include the protocol (http://) when writing links, else browsers treat them as relative.

24. Uthred says:

The price seems to be wrong, showing up as €7.99 for me

25. Madzack says:

Oh, please, let there be GunValkyrie HD for PC…!

26. beema says:

I still have my Dreamcast and a copy of this game! I stopped playing it because I got stuck and it was too damned hard. So… I don’t think I will be picking it up on Steam.

Comment on this story