Russian Borderlands 2 Region Locked, Affects Neighbours

By John Walker on September 19th, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

Something seems to have gone terribly amiss with the Russian version of Borderlands 2. For reasons that are so far unknown, 2K have released a version of game that’s Russian language only, and only playable with others with the same version. And they’ve released it to, er, the former USSR.

People living in, say, Estonia, aren’t too impressed just now. Not just because declaring them still part of Russia does somewhat ignore a couple of moments in history, but because only 10% of the country speaks Russian. The same is true for the rest of the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) and Baltic states, who are more than a little unimpressed at the peculiarity. Then of course there’s people who actually are in Russia, locked down to not being able to play with friends from the rest of the world. The game, distributed through Steam, doesn’t seem to want to play nicely with others.

Even more peculiar, the game is apparently much cheaper to buy if you’re in Russia, while players in Lithuania and Estonia are having to pay the full price, while still getting a version of the game designed for a country they don’t live in. CIS/Baltic/Russian readers are informing us that this was not made known when people were pre-ordering the game, meaning they’ve been surprised by an extremely locked down version of the game, often in a language they don’t speak. We’re also hearing rumours that pre-purchased season passes are now incompatible with the RU release.

A hefty Reddit thread, and a lively discussion on the Gearbox forums, have finally garnered the attention of 2K themselves. They have said on their own forum,

“2K Games and 1C are aware that digital distribution pages for the Russian, CIS and Baltic States versions of Borderlands 2 contained incorrect information regarding the language and cross territory compatibility support. We apologize that this information was incorrect during the pre-sale and pre-order period for these territories. We are working with our partners to update those pages, and offer any customers who pre-ordered or pre-purchased the game the opportunity to cancel their order and receive a refund.

Additionally, we are working with our product development teams to investigate potential support for additional languages and options for our customers in these territories. While this was and is not possible for launch, we will provide an update this week on our progress.”

Which raises a few issues. Firstly, while people are certainly annoyed that the pre-order information was somewhat lacking, that’s perhaps not the issue they were hoping to see corrected. Also, it seems a little peculiar that it was not possible to include other languages, since they were obviously all in place for non-Russian versions of the game. But most of all, it doesn’t address the rather larger question: why? Why lock down a region in the first place? And why are former Soviet nations being included in this? The statement doesn’t suggest that this issue is being taken into account at all.

Another reader informs us they received a reply from 2K’s support explaining that this is an issue that affects those with a Russian IP. If that is such an inexact method, it doesn’t seem appropriate to be using it at all.

We’ve contacted 2K to try to find some answers to what’s going on. Meanwhile, if you’re affected, the Reddit thread begins with a method you can use to access the UK version of the game.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. AmateurScience says:

Genuine question: Is the CIS still a thing, like a trading bloc, or is it just a handy catch all like ‘Iberian’

2. lizzardborn says:

And trough these dark arts the pirates are summoned into existence on this world …

3. Sergey Galyonkin says:

BTW, Season Pass purchases aren’t valid for people, that bought B2 on Steam – those are still tied to ROW version, while game was converted to RU only.

Interestingly, a lot of people in Ukraine decided to preorder game on Steam for $30 instead of preordering it in retail for roughly $20 (sometimes even $15) exactly because it was advertised as international version, while retail ads always contained information about game being region-locked.

4. Eraysor says:

A deeply satirical take on MW2′s “No Russian” level, methinks…

5. Rao Dao Zao says:

I’ll certainly not be Russian out to buy this game. Pretty shameful. No oceans, eh?

6. adeptacheese says:

my guess is this has probably been done in an attempt to thwart the various russian cd key websites

• DSR says:

Or you can region lock CD keys(Make em usable only in those countries) like every other sane company does.
      But yes, you can fuck up stuff too.

7. bonglord420 says:

Hey guys, Russia is a hotbed of piracy! Clearly the best way to combat this is to give them their own shitty version of the game, that couldn’t possibly go wrong.

8. terav says:

Estonia as well as other baltic states are not and have never been part of CIS anyway.

9. Zanchito says:

Again, RPS puts the “journalism” in “gaming journalism”. Companies have grown too complacent and hostile towards the paying customer.

• hjarg says:

Actually, this is quite common unfortunately. Can’t buy Civ 5 from Steam in Estonia, can’t buy Skyrim from Steam in Estonia. When i buy a physical copy, it registers on Steam all right, but can’t buy from Steam.

Distribution deals put us in ex-USSR block for some reason- mainly because i think companies are too lazy to look at the politcal map of the world once in a while.

• salasq says:

I think you can buy Civ 5 in Estonia now. Funny thing is: for the longest time all DLC was available for purchase, but the game (that is, the pre-requisite) itself was not. I mean… wtf?

• hjarg says:

Hmm, Gods & Kings are available, yes. About Civ 5 itself- dunno. God my friend from Spain to gift me a copy. Could do the same with Skyrim, but too much of a hassle- in order to buy the game, i’d have to ask him to gift me a copy and then make an international money transfer to give him money back :P

As for DLC-s being available, i think the reason is simple- you can buy a boxed copy and then it registers on Steam. And if people want to give you extra money for the DLC, who are evul companies to disagree?

10. Snidesworth says:

The why is easy; 2k doesn’t want people from outside Russia buying codes priced for that market. It’s comparatively cheap and there’s swift business to be done in buying codes in bulk and selling them to people in other regions. So they make the Russian version unable to play with people who bought the “proper” game and remove the ability to gift copies of it on Steam. As well as making the language Russian only.

Of course this completely screws over anyone living in Russia and doubly screws over anyone in a country close enough to it to be classed as “pretty much the same, right?” Especially since they pay the European price for the inferior version.

11. SuffixTreeMonkey says:

It’s not the first game that sold a Russian edition and a non-Russian edition. For example, I think the latest Call of Duty games have Russian editions that have to be activated on Steam with a Russian IP, or the game will not activate at all.

And the reason is? Piracy. Well, piracy and desire to get rich off Europeans. You see, Germany, UK and the rest often have way too high prices on AAA games. While us rich Euro folks bear it, Russians never liked those and in there, piracy soars like an eagle.

The gaming industry solution was to sell games cheaper in Russia. However, some of us (including myself) noticed that and thought “why can’t we buy the game in Russia for the Russian price, then just activate the online code and be merry?” So we buy games from Russia, Singapore, you name it. And this is just the latest trick in their book — sell a restricted version in Russia which we could never get English on. So we have to buy local — and pay much more.

• Zanchito says:

Or the usual double standard: you want the benefits of globalization (international markets, greater outreach, externalization) without the inconveniences. And somehow, somehow, it’s always the Everyday Joe who gets screwed. Companies would do well to adapt to the new market situation.

• SuffixTreeMonkey says:

> Companies would do well to adapt to the new market situation.

You know that this is how they are adapting, right? They will adapt even more. Steam and the game publishing industry will introduce more tools for region-locking (most Europeans experienced things like a game requiring Steamworks but not being available on Steam for purchase) and we’re going to be even more locked in.

Until they will be able to exploit that they can offer the same product to a Chinese fellow and a British cap at different prices and they will not be able to trade (after all, games don’t exist anymore, only licenses) they will exploit this. And “digital items are not property” legislation doesn’t seem to move in the direction of the end user.

• NathanH says:

I can understand why you can’t play the cheap Russian version outside Russia, that makes perfect sense, but several important questions are unanswered. Why can’t you play the more expensive non-Russian version in Russia? Why is the Russian-only versionbeing sold in countries where English is more prevalent as a second language? Why is the cheap Russian version at standard European prices is some countries, despite being the cheap Russian version? Why has the apparently internation version suddenly mysteriously turned into a Russian version in those countries? These are harder questions to answer.

And then there’s also the question of whether restricting the use of a product/service provided in one country of the EU when in another country of the EU is OK.

• Snidesworth says:

Unless I’m mistaken you can play the International version in Russia. You just have to import it/buy a key online. Which will cost you more than you’d usually pay for a game.

• Jenks says:

So the cause of this is piracy. Surprise!!

12. Cytrom says:

Please tell me the polish / chech / slovakian / hungarian version is not in the same boat… I’m still pretty pissed that I cannot buy skyrim on steam. If i couldnt get BL2 either that would make me Rage* (a game also unavailible in said countries…)

• Neurotic says:

Hello, Kraków speaking! When Steam locks me out of a game, I use alternative sources to purchase Steam keys. After ten years of experience with all kinds of weird and suspicious sites, I’ve come to rely on just two, totally kosher, and worry-free: dlgamer.com (a French site which is great for MMOG time codes and stuff like that), and onlinekeystore.com. They both accept my Inteligo card, neither wants more personal information from me than anyone else does, and after several years, I’ve yet to have a single problem. My most recent purchases were an Origin key for BF3, and a Steam key for Skyrim.

Seriously, if you’re tired of Steam fucking with you because you’re CE, check them out.

• Bent Wooden Spoon says:

As a Brit living in Asia I can’t thank you enough for recommending OKS. My CC’s still registered back home so buying stuff online is usually like pulling teeth – it’s suddenly become much easier.

• Kitsuninc says:

I’m an American living in Asia, I couldn’t buy anything on Steam due to my CC being registered to a US address. I contacted support about it, they said that it was a security function, and oddly their fix was to send me a special URL that allows me to access the US Steam store from here. I’m not complaining, but it’s funny, now I can purchase games that are otherwise more expensive or completely unavailable here, through Steam itself.

• Neurotic says:

That’s interesting, I’ve got to look into that. It’s been 2 or 3 years probably since I last tangled with Steam over my payment details. Meanwhile, OKS continues to rock too.

13. Silver says:

I’m from Estonia.

First:
    10% speaks russian? No! if there is 25%+ official population of russians (actually more, but new trend is to take Estonian names because it grants better options at work market)

About 35-40% of population speaks russian well or perfectly.

In Latvia and Lithuania there’s 50%+ speaking russian and population is 40%ish.

Secondly:

We can’t buy many games (Skyrim etc) for EU, but we are part of EU for how long now ?Not a month or two, right.. but for years now. reindependence 1991, joining EU 2004, currency 2011.

And thirdly: Only opinion is to find a friend or “friend” who gifts you a game or gives/sells you serial.
    And of course you take then RU game, because most games cost 1/3 or 1/4 of EU price
    (XCOM e.g. 15-17€, same was Skyrim, Deux Ex etc)

• reosarevok says:

25% of people in Estonia are of Russian origin indeed. But apart from that, the amount of people who speak fluent Russian *and* is on the age target for a game like this is fairly low. Most of those ethnic Estonians who speak fluent Russian are older than 40, does it make any sense to count them when talking of people who want to buy Borderlands? Certainly, of all the ethnic Estonians in their 20s I know here in Tartu, almost none speak any Russian, even though almost all studied it at some point.

Edit: I don’t know how many Lithuanians speak Russian, but the ethnic Russian population is IIRC much lower than in Estonia or Latvia, certainly not 40%+

• Silver says:

Half of capital Tallinn and most of North-Eastern Estonia (Ida-Virumaa) speak russian.

Tartu has only one large part of russian speakers, called Annelinn (I think you know about that place). About 15-20% of population of Tartu can speak russian well.
        Also from Tartu.

about Latvia:

In the 2000 census, 1,311,093 persons in Latvia reported Latvian as their mother tongue; 891,451 respondents listed Russian as their mother tongue,[10] representing 37.5% of the total population, whereas Latvian was recorded as the mother tongue for 58.2%.[11] Latvian was spoken as a second language by 20.8% of the population, and 43.7% spoke Russian as a second language.[12] In total, 71% of ethnic Latvians said they could speak Russian, and 52% of Russians could speak Latvian.[13]

• reosarevok says:

I know, I know, just trying to make it clear that even if a reasonable amount of people can play in Russian, far from everyone can. In any case, the stuff is still absurd – Baltics are paying full price, and not being able to choose what language to play in, Russian or English, makes no sense.

• Deisenberger says:

Well, those numbers seem completely off. I, too, like reosarevok, do not know a single ethnic Estonian under roughly 28 (ie. people who have received an Estonian education) who can speak Russian with any kind of reasonable quality. English, definately, probably French and/or German, even two that speak Japanese, but no Russian. And I do, statistics tell me, live in the second most heavily Russian-ethnic city in Estonia.

The difference between the total amount of people that speak Russian and those under the age threshold where gaming has become commonplace is _vast_. And this is an important difference to note.

• Flowing says:

As reosarevok said – it’s t he older people who speak russian fluenty or even well. The younger generation does not.

As an estonian – I know only those with russian parents spoke russian well from our school, even if we did learn it for.. what, 5 and a half years? (Tallinn)

I agree 10% is too low, but half of Tallinn? I’d guess around 25% can speak and read russian well enough to play Borderlands 2 in russian.. To fully enjoy it, that is.

• Deisenberger says:

Exact-same-comment-in-different-wording-within-two-minutes-high-five!

• Silver says:

Yes, as goes gaming community these % will drop majorly.

People around -25 can’t speak russian not good at all.

and for gaming experience definetly they can’t understand, so I agree with you two:)

• Bremze says:

Ahh the fun times of asking my parents to translate npc dialog in Morrowind for me. I agree with reosarevok, about 27% of people in Latvia are of Russian ethnicity and that number is fairly skewed towards people over 40. I’m pretty sure the majority here would rather play the game in English.

14. CommanderZx2 says:

Probably to stop people selling cheap steam keys online. No one’s going to buy your steam key online if they are forced to play in russian.

15. Duffin says:

Wait… the USSR collapsed!?

16. Lakelly says:

Just wanted to say that this is almost certainly the decision of 1C rather than Gearbox, seeing as how they’re the distributor in the affected regions.

• reosarevok says:

IIRC 1C said it wasn’t their decision but 2K’s

• Zanchito says:

Yeah, I have no problem believing Gearbox don’t actually have anything to do with this, it’s clearly a distributor issue. I’m upset distributors still get away with this crap and sad to see Gearbox included in something in which they surely had no say.

• Neurotic says:

I would go with 1C too, furthermore, I would say it may even be something dictated to them by Russian government etc. They have a long history of working very closely with the authorities to clamp down on piracy and legitimise authentic, shop-bought software.

• Deisenberger says:

This is a statement from 1C that basically says it’s all 2K-s fault. http://www.softclub.ru/news/article.asp?id=3850

Or so I am told. I mean, this may come as a shocker to whoever is actually to blame, but I can’t actually read that article.

• wu wei says:

Why would 1C do anything to sell less copies? They would only stand to directly benefit from international sales.

This is all 2K.

17. SuperNashwanPower says:

Command Program set loaded… Authorisation code: PITCHFORD1234
    RUN…

**Game release in FREEDOM LOVING America first … COMPLETE
    **Insulting game version release to (former) BARBARIAN KITTEN MURDERING USSR… COMPLETE
    **Personality profiling and lie detector tests analysis to weed out RED MENACE within 2K games personnel… COMPLETE

**VOICE MODULE ONLINE… AUDIO FUNCTIONALITY TEST… INITIALIZED. DESIGNATION: LIBERTY PRIME. PRIMARY TARGETS: ANY AND ALL RED CHINESE INVADERS. EMERGENCY COMMUNIST ACQUISITION DIRECTIVE: IMMEDIATE SELF-DESTRUCT. BETTER DEAD THAN RED!!

18. Rawrian says:

FML. Being russian, some of the games I buy are region locked (Dark Souls, for example), but I haven’t seen any Russian-only versions so far, thankfully. Oh well, no Borderlands 2 for me, then.

• Innovacious says:

I hear sleeping dogs had subtitles in Russian only, not sure how true that is.

• Rawrian says:

It said so on the store page, and I was worried at first, but it was a case of incorrect translation, I guess – there is English subtitles in the game as well.

• default_name says:

You can set any language you want with Durante’s fix (DSfix) which is mandatory for PC version of Dark Souls.

19. Ultramegazord says:

Americans and their lack of knowledge about the world… don’t they know there’s no USSR anymore?

• Zanchito says:

I think you should check your sarcasm detector.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

It’s the most diverse nation and culture in the world by far. It’s not even close.

Are you aware of the number of languages spoken in India?

New York and a few other cities are properly diverse, thanks to importing people from all over the world. But in general, it’s no more culturally varied than say Germany, and Germany still has proper dialects, not just regional accents as in the US.

• Ultramegazord says:

Oh god, an american really took my comment seriously. Hilarious.
      Americans and their lack of humour.

• Shooop says:

What? Then who the hell have I been sending spam emails disguised as methods to take over your enemies’ precious fluids to all this time?

20. Senethro says:

Hey guys, I know we’re supposed to be angry at everything A Company Did forever and all, but isn’t it kinda cool they’ve tried to offer a cheaper version In a country with a lower average income? Shame they messed up the implementation, no excuses there.

• Rawrian says:

They do that quite often, but I haven’t encountered Russian language-only versions so far. And it might be good for a lot of Russian gamers, who are pretty much English-illiterate, but not giving an option and messing up other countries like that is, well, bad.

• Zanchito says:

They are not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. They know they’ll make money if they lower the price.

• Senethro says:

Are you saying that making more money by satisfying the requirements of more customers is somehow a bad thing? I thought that was capitalism actually working as intended for once.

• reyn78 says:

Prices in this part of Europe are cheaper than in Western Europe or US for about 15 years now. Comes with high computer piracy rates and significantly lower income levels. So, no it isn’t “kinda cool” they tried – they managed to F*** up something that everyone else manages to get at least partially right (no lock on mulitplayer, access to other languages, or just subtitles instead of voice over).

• evil.faerytales says:

they can do that without fucking up language and multiplayer. You know, like other companies do.

21. Drinking with Skeletons says:

The “non-Russian-speaking countries get Russian-language-version,” at least, is probably attributable to ignorance on the publishers’ part. If you know that a region was once controlled by Russians (and pretty recently, by historical standards) and you don’t know much about the region beyond that, it is understandable. Well, maybe less understandable if you’ve got a whole department that’s supposed to know things like that, but the world is a big place and–if they actually rectify the situation–I think this is embarrassing but forgivable as a one-time mistake.

The region-locking is a whole other issue, though, and I’m not quite sure what to say about it. Could it perhaps be a way to try to keep non-Russians from exploiting the (sensible) regional pricing differences? I mean, I see people post stuff like that all the time in the RPS comment threads, so it must not be impossible to do.

• Rawrian says:

Well, I’ve heard that some people were banned from Steam for mass-gifting cheaper versions of the game, but that means that Valve has ways to track such operations.

22. RaveTurned says:

Estonia: Hey, 2K…

23. Echidna says:

I’m russian. I’m willing to pay normal price for an ability to switch from English to French to German to Russian. Actually without Russian. I learn French and German via games. And I happen to know English pretty well. I don’t care about Russian language. I want to play games the way they were initialy meant to be!
    Game without narrative designer’s hard work – not paying!
    No carefully prepared wordplay – not paying!
    Screwed up punchline – not paying!
    Arkham series without Hammil’s voice – not paying!
    Forced to play only in russian – not paying, not talking about it.
    I happen to be narrative designer. And I work in English. And I saw numerous screwed up localisations.
    Seriously, why? Why do you hate russians so much? Actually wrong choice of words.
    Why do you hate all russians so much? Or do you presume that no one here knows foreign language?
    P.S. By “You” I mean those who do that stuff with russian-only version. You, folks at RPS, are grand.

• Rawrian says:

Uh, it has nothing to do with hating Russians.

• Echidna says:

Yeah, I know. I’m just angry. I love steam a lot for that language switch feature. Now it’s gone for one of the game I really waited. What if Dishonoured too?

• Rawrian says:

That would be awful. I can probably live without Borderlands, especially since I’m playing Dark Souls heavily now, but I’m very excited about Dishonored.

• Echidna says:

I’m horrified by the possibility that it’d be the case with all games eventually.

• Zanchito says:

I’m spanish and I try to get all my games in english. Not only it is a great way to practice, spanish localization is usually TERRIBLE.

• Rawrian says:

Same with Russian localizations (not in games only, movies also go dubbed, and the quality is just above decent usually).

• reosarevok says:

Localisation being crap is understandable, given that game translators aren’t usually able to play the game or anything like that before translating, but are just given a load of text and told “there, we need that in Spanish”. Which is why I also tend to play in English.

• Echidna says:

Quite often it’s even worse situation. They don’t care at all. Console games localisations are always bad. In Russia, to be fair. This market here isn’t that developed so localisators generally don’t care AT ALL.

• Tei says:

Borderlands 2 spanish translation is ok-ish, but word play is not translated to spanish wordplay, so you never experience any fun in the butt-stallion joke. Valve do much better work on his translations, I think.

• harmlos says:

It doesn’t matter which language – localizations are usually terrible (I say “usually” because there may exist a game somewhere where the localization doesn’t suck). Fortunately, many games can still be bought via Amazon in the UK (sometimes this is cheaper than buying via Steam), so I don’t have to put up with rubbish German localizations or censorship.

• Arglebargle says:

Gotta agree, though somewhat in reverse: I played The Witcher in Polish, and the first STALKER in Russian, with English subtitles. Well worth it for the original voices. Of course I cut my teeth on Hong Kong action films in the early 80′s. Dubbing is dumbing down! Usually.

• realmenhuntinpacks says:

Heh, I’m learning Russian myself (and by the way how many clauses/aspects/declensions do you guys need?!) but so far games have only taught me how to warn people about grenades. Which I’ll probably refrain from shouting next time I’m over there…

24. Legion23 says:

I really hope this will get even more coverage and outcry. Gamers living in Germany get duped by region locks on a regular basis now but it almost never makes a headline anymore.

• Echidna says:

So this stuff is pandemic?

• Lemming says:

the region locking for Germany is 100% the fault of the German government. Their draconian stance on game censorship means that if a developer wants to sell a game in Germany at all, they often have to cut content. The best way to ensure German customers don’t ‘accidentally’ get hold of a non-censored version, and the developers get banned/fined is to region-lock them.

If you want to look at something you can blame squarely on a company rather than a country, Look at MS and their GFWL region-locking. No one is forcing them to do it, they’ve just decided to exclude countries for their own crazy reasons.

25. Optimaximal says:

I’d imagine this problem will magically get sorted 2-3 weeks after release to avoid the aforementioned ‘sale of russian keys on the grey market’ whilst interest in the game is at 101%.

Ubisoft’s mea-culpa on DRM has pretty much confirmed these companies operate as such – even the most ardent & obvious of fuck-ups likely have corporate intent behind the scenes.

26. Lemming says:

The fact that they were locking down the Russian version, isn’t surprising. It was a definite mistake locking in the former USSR regions with it, but I can see why they were locking down the Russian version as there have been issues with people buying Steam games cheaper through Russian middle-men and/or getting their accounts stolen. I imagine that’s what they were trying to avoid, and messed it up.

That said, I really don’t understand why its difficult, through a digital platform like Steam, to ‘unlock’ those in the affected countries via a quick update. That part doesn’t wash with me at all.

• Hug_dealer says:

i definately think it was an attempt to lock out the middlemen key sellers. At the same time, they should have provided the cheaped locked down version, and the full price unlocked.

• reyn78 says:

Because “quick unlock” would defeat the main purpose of the entire excercise – stopping trade in artificially cheap keys.

Does anyone remember the outcry with COD:MW game that many people in UK bought “at an attractive price” only to learn it was “Russian-only” version?

I don’t actually mind region locking IF a price discount follows (games here in Poland are about 50% cheaper than on Steam depending on EUR/PLN rate). I can even survive Polish subtitles for that discount ;) I steer away from games that are language locked though until they come on steam sale.

The language part is at a low-end of current (very low) standards in game publishing that we see in this part of the world, but nothing that we haven’t seen before.

Overall the whole affair is just a big “f*** up” in terms of two things – not being able to join multiplayer games outside of Russia and the fact that some idiot at 2K should spend about 5 minutes on google actually checking something before acting. (Not expecting him to learn geography nor modern history to know USSR is dead).
      Yet again a paying customer gets screwed over people who will DL the game from their nearest torrent site. Good job 2K, you probably killed you Borderlands 2 sales in that region. Serves you right tho…

27. realmenhuntinpacks says:

Это смешно и очень обидно – особенно для эстонцев.

28. Krekeris says:

Oh boy, i hope same crap won`t happen with XCOM.

29. derito says:

Mandatory Good Bye Lenin reference.

30. mckertis says:

If you think this is how far it gets – wait till the same happens to the XCOM “remake”.

31. mrmalodor says:

” but because only 10% of the country speaks Russian”

That’s incorrect. 29,7% of the population speaks Russian as their native language (official statistic). Including those who speak Russian as their second language, the number would be even bigger.

Region locking is still retarded, of course, and will cause many people to pirate the game.

32. MugiMugi says:

This is news? This is NOT and I repeat, NOT the first time 2k makes the _VERY_ same mistake, dread island remmeber? No mention of region locked, till it hit us….. Not to mention nordic retailers even got russian region related codes mixed in otherwise nordic related games with correct manual and so on it was a total mess.

In the end solved it by returning the game and buying it from another source, and got robbed of the preorder bonus for that hassle to.

33. MythArcana says:

That’s almost as bad as living in California and having to be forced to read Spanish everywhere you go.

34. Vandelay says:

Everyone seems to have missed the most abhorrent part of this. Why are the Russians and former Soviet countries able to play, whilst us UKers still have to wait?!

The boat with all those bazillion guns surely has to travel further for them!

35. Shooop says:

Language issues I can understand. It’s incredibly difficult to translate things with any level of competence (not 70s Kung-Fu movies level).

But forgetting about the dissolution of the USSR? It’d be hilarious if it wasn’t actually preventing people from playing the game they paid for.

36. Kitsuninc says:

I’m an American living in Asia, I couldn’t buy anything on Steam due to my CC being registered to a US address. Interestingly I contacted support about it, they said that it was a security function, and oddly their fix was to send me a special URL that allows me to access the US Steam store from here. I’m not complaining, but it’s funny, now I can purchase games that are otherwise more expensive or completely unavailable here, through Steam itself.

37. noodlecake says:

to prevent me buying a Russian version of the game cheap. Now I have to pay more. Smart business.

38. jrodman says:

I repeat my offer from the forums.

To those of you who may have pre-ordered borderlands in english and it was not delivered, or who cannot purchase it in english due to this nonsense but would prefer to, I will buy one (1) four pack (that is, four of you each get a copy of the game), or failing that level of interest one (1) copy of borderlands and gift it to you.

You’re on the honor system here. Don’t sign up if you can legitimately purchase the game in your preferred langauge.

What I require of takers: Take the money you would have spent on the game otherwise (its localized cost) and give it away. That means you can buy a game for your cousin, feed the poor, donate it to a grass roots political movement, or whatever seems right to you.

Let me know.

39. Crazy Horse says:

When you are Russian to play Borderlands there is no time for Stalin.

Comment on this story