Super! DC Universe Online Adds Hand Of Fate

By John Walker on September 19th, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

Are you playing DC Universe Online? The F2P MMO is trundling along, just adding its new DLC pack Hand Of Fate, but you don’t hear too much about it. I always feel a bit sorry for DC. Marvel has, well, all the cool superheros, and DC have that utter dick Batman, and Mr Boring Cape, Superman. (That’s an uncontroversial statement on which there’s unanimity, right?) This is the fifth DLC for the free-if-you-want-it-to-be world, only a year and a half into its lifetime. You can see the somewhat uninformative trailer below.

See, watching that fires up all my City Of Heroes glands, and makes me want to take a look. Perhaps I finally will! Richard certainly suggested we all should when he reviewed it last year.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Hunam says:

Also worth nothing that a recent patch just changed the end game currency system to be much more fair and let player get a decent set of end game PvE gear ready for the many raids and dungeons the game has.

2. Dominic White says:

DCUO is much more of an action-RPG than City of Heroes. Best played with a gamepad, and ideally with a buddy. There’s great swathes of content specifically for pairs of players, and a good duo can hold their own against a lot of PvP heat if you’re playing in open PvP mode.

• Torgen says:

I was in beta, and once I changed my mindset to look at this as a fighting game instead of a RPG/MMO, I had much more fun. I also bought a gamepad specifically for this, as the mouse and keyboard controls were very clunky.

• Bungle says:

I tried playing it with buddies and the level-based quest system made it almost impossible. I don’t know anyone who still plays DCUO.

3. Arglebargle says:

Because everyone knows that Superman is an Ice Tanker….

Some decent ideas, some horrible writing, lackluster character creation, an interface that was crappy for keyboard and mouse, essentially an action MMO for the PS3 set.

If you are after an all action game, it can be fun for a little while. Though they are at least continuing to release some new content. Did not push any of my buttons.

• frightlever says:

Ah. I thought it was just me. I played it for a couple of hours (after spending a day downloading it) and rapidly uninstalled it. I found it unplayable.

4. mondomau says:

I actually paid for this when it first came out, really loved it for the first 20 hours or so but then it fell kind of flat – the gameplay didn’t really change at all and it got dull and repetitive (my first ‘proper’ MMO experience, btw). Added to this the awful treatment I got from SOE when my account was hacked, and I was pretty much done with it less than a month after launch.

Shame, because I loved the combat and the superpowers & movement systems and having since tried other MMOs, I now realise quite how much impressive these features were.
    Maybe I’ll have another go now it’s free, if i can be bothered with what is by now likely to be a humongous client download.

• Groove says:

That was basically my experience too. I really enjoyed it, right up until the point where it became unbearably boring.

At least at launch, the power sets were really limited, you basically needed to be an elemental hero, have magical powers or have loads of tech. The weapons were great, but not overly strategic. The content was a little bland, especially considering the subject matter and how many huge name heros you were dealing with. Also, the chat options were inhumanly bad. They did have good in-world PvP though.

It’s probably worth a download just to get 2 swords and super speed, and spend a while running in circles round a cylindrical tunnel.

5. wodin says:

Batman is a dick?? How dare you. Thats the worst thing I’ve ever read on this website..terrible terrible slander…

The only superhero with no super powers..a vigilante..cool as…

6. Metalhead9806 says:

I can’t get into this game. I tried… I bought the green lantern expansion.
    Something about it… it feels like the same old experience i’ve had since MMORPG genre burst onto the scene. A bunch of mindless fetch quests in a super hero skin.

It’s a shame because I love DC. Oh well.

7. Lemming says:

For a brief moment I looked at that article image and thought “OMG what have they done to poor Mysterio??” The I remembered this was DC Universe and hung my head in shame/relief.

8. frightlever says:

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1 – http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2313197/

Best Batman movie of the year.

9. ineffablebob says:

I’ve been playing DCUO lately, ever since the Death-of-CoH announcement killed my interest in continuing to build up my stable of characters in Paragon City. It’s definitely an action game, and I agree with the above post that it’s best played with a gamepad (my USB XBox 360 controller works nicely). Hand of Fate adds some interesting things like extra trinket slots, but primarily it’s about new high-end content. And in my opinion, the whole game is about going through the content and fighting alongside (or against) the DC Universe’s big names. Going to Smallville to fight Doomsday, or descending into Gotham’s underbelly to chase Catwoman…if those things sound exciting, the game is good, at least as long as it takes to do them once. The end-game turns into a grind, as with just about every MMO. If you want to play in the Batcave or Fortress of Solitude, you’ll have to grind your way up the right gear level to survive.

10. razgon says:

Any Europeans playing it, who can comment on how their experience with the dreaded Prosieben that SOE sold them to has been?

• BigJonno says:

I’ve been playing recently and I’ve got no complaints, but I’ve not had any need to deal with them. The transfer was painless and the couple of hundred station points I had on my account were switched over.

• Hunam says:

I haven’t had to deal with customer service, but outside that, setting up my ps1 account, linking it to my soe account and playing the game all went smoothly.

Morlock says:

Am I the only one who had to think of the best game in the Kyrandia adventure series by Westwood?

12. Hunchback says:

DC have Batman indeed, which is probably the coolest hero ever (imho), but they also have Watchmen which is THE most meaningful “super-hero” novel ever (again, imho). So no need to pity them :D

• Groove says:

That made me think that we need a Watchmen MMO! But no, that would be super depressing.

Congratulations on starting your new career as a hero! The only questing you’ll be doing soon is questioning the meaningless of your existence.

Congratulations on hitting lv30! You have gained the impotency trait.

Congratulations on hitting max level! Your existence is still meaningless.

Congratulations on completing the final raid! You have learned too much, god has deleted your character.

13. yuri999 says:

I wonder what people would say about Batman after reading Batman: Earth One. That comic was a total inversion from the batman in the films and current continuity.

• wodin says:

Comics come out all the time as re-imaginings of superheroes..very rarely they become popular.

The killing Joke was the last Batman comic I read..loved it.

• yuri999 says:

Yes that was a great comic indeed.

But the main reason I like the Bruce Wayne of Earth One is because he’s not infallible. I’d love to say more but that will spoil the plot for the graphic novel. Loved the art, loved the writing with my only gripe being it was 140 pages.

Driveshaft says:

I actually really enjoyed this game – I much prefer the combat to that of other MMOs.

However, once I hit the level cap the fun fell away immediately. The PvP just isn’t up to scratch, and the armour sets just aren’t enough to encourage further PvE play.