Capcom: Resi 6 Port Will Not Be Treated As ‘Trivial’

By Adam Smith on September 20th, 2012 at 8:00 pm.

It seems like Resident Evil films come out more frequently than Resident Evil games these days, unless I’m ignorant of an Ada Wong visual novel spin-off series that’s only playable on digital watches. Capcom don’t seem concerned about matching the output of projected vomit though, at least not as far as PC ports are concerned, with Senior VP Christian Svensson stating on the company’s official forum that the Resident Evil 6 port will be taken seriously. “When they get treated as trivial, you end up with Resident Evil 4 PC”, he added. The full quote, explaining why no date for the release can be given yet, is below.

The statement was in response to a question as to whether the PC version was already in development.

It is a small, but appropriately sized team working on the RE6 PC project. It is a different group than originally planned, lest it would have taken even longer than it currently will but this team will do a better job than what was being considered originally.

The process did not begin until after the console versions were complete, submitted, approved by console 1st parties to use that final codebase as the starting point.

It will be some time still before we provide details on release dates and PC specific parameters.

Projects like this you guys seem to think are “trivial” but they are not. When they get treated as trivial, you end up with Resident Evil 4 PC… which I don’t think too many true fans were pleased with.

Fake fans absolutely lapped it up, of course. Couldn’t get enough of it. “True fans”, in case you were wondering, are the ones buying this.

If the quality of the port can be improved, as was the case with Lost Planet 2 in comparison to the first, then waiting doesn’t seem too much of a hardship. In an ideal world, the PC version would be the master copy from which all others are derived, with bits of fanciness shaved off as necessary, but this is Resident Evil after all; it was born into comedically horrifying unlife on a console and the console remains its creaky, cobwebbed ancestral home. Let’s just hope the lessons of Resident Evil 4 have been taken fully on board. The most important there being, of course:

1) Shoot every dog on sight, always.
2) Don’t go to fetch a drink or snack during a cutscene.
3) Never arrange to go for a drink with Mike.

As for the films, I’m hoping the next one is called Resident Evil: AfterNoon and involves random characters and monsters sitting around drinking tea and eating scones rather than random characters and monsters inexplicably fighting in a virtual parallel corporate apocalyptic sci-fi amnesiac confusoworld.

Thanks to Strategy Informer.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Rikard Peterson says:

“I’m selling these fine leather jackets.”

• Lemming says:

the funniest thing is, you can get that jacket for about £140 if you just simply google ‘resident evil leather jacket’. So…its what, £700ish for a game, some tin covers and DLC?

2. Sadraukar says:

Resident Evil 5 had a pretty good PC port if I remember correctly (other than the GFWL nonsense).

• Ansob says:

It did – although since the RE5 engine is actually a PC-centric engine that then gets ported to consoles, it wasn’t technically a port.

I’m pretty sure RE6 is using MT Framework too, so we should have a fairly rock-solid game from a technical perspective – menu issues may persist, of course.

• DarkFenix says:

The other big sin of the PC port was the QTE’s, or rather the keys you had to press if you used KB/M. Seriously, F+V or A+D? Which three-armed species were they designing it for? I had to literally keep my gamepad on hand to switch the controls to that during cut scenes. Evading boss attacks on the fly was an effort in futility (that and mid game QTE’s – or indeed any QTE’s – should be a crime worthy of hanging).

3. int says:

I do hope it’s lacking in the QTE department.

4. eks says:

“Cautiously Optimistic” will be my current stance until a WIT.

5. db1331 says:

RE games were my favorite growing up. They used to scare the hell out of me. I still love the old classics. I just beat RE2 for the hundredth time about 2 months ago. I greatly enjoyed all of the core titles up to RE5. I’m not looking forward to this new one at all. It looks like it’s taking everything that made RE5 terrible and ratcheting it up a notch.

6. felisc says:

I don’t care one bit about the delay as this wouldn’t be a day 1 purchase anyway. All I ask is a decent port and a steam sale and they get a bit of my money. It looks like an entertaining console game.

7. DarkFenix says:

Now I just hope Resi 6 in general will not be ‘Crap’ like Resi 5.

8. secretdoorinvisiblewall says:

“When [porting is] treated as trivial, you end up with Resident Evil 4 PC. When game development is treated as trivial, you end up with Resident Evil 5.”

9. Roshin says:

“When they get treated as trivial, you end up with Resident Evil 4 PC… which I don’t think too many true fans were pleased with.”

Didn’t stop them from releasing it, though.

10. Cam says:

Can you move and shoot at the same time? That’s all i really care about at this point. (i like the games, but having highly-trained operatives moving around like tanks always annoyed me)

• ramirezfm says:

Yep, you can. Which is quite useful if you play as Chris or the other one ( Jake or something? ) as it’s basically Gears of Resident.

11. Deepo says:

I’d rather have Dragons Dogma on PC. That game runs like absolute garbage on consoles, but I see a great game lurking underneath. RE6 doesn’t look promising to me.

12. Frank says:

I was fine with RE4PC.

Adam, your headline sort of reverses the dude’s words, right? He meant that it was *treated as* a trivial problem, when in fact it was not trivial.

13. Alexandros says:

Maybe they want to remove the godawful GFWL integration? I would gladly wait a year if that was the case.

14. mashakos says:

Christian Svensson is the man, he is our PC Gamer secret agent sent on a black ops mission deep within Inner Capcom.
    …ok, that wasn’t very good.

Anyway, this guy has been pushing for quality PC ports for a long time, and succeeding. I remember him appearing in game news articles a short while before Devil May Cry 4 came out for the PC. If he was involved from that time, you can say he’s responsible for ending bad ports at Capcom.

15. Synesthesia says:

I… i just don’t care anymore. They’ve successfully killed my love for the franchise. Fuck them. Give me my tyrants and my survival horror back! *sob*

on a separate note. 900 euro? Have the plagas gotten a straight infection from their asses to their brains or something?

16. Cor Cordis says:

Somehow I understood back then that the PC verion will ship parralel to console ports, or it will ship a few weeks after :)

17. MysterD says:

Just like I did w/ PC versions Res Evil 4 and 5, I’ll buy it when it gets cheaper. Actually, I do that w/ MOST games… ;)
    I hope RE6 PC gets away from G4WL…

Comment on this story