Point And Click This News: Sherlock And Deponia

By Adam Smith on September 20th, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

Sherlocked and loaded

In a never to be repeated adventure game news roundup, I bring you trailers and release dates for two – count ‘em – two adventure games of the pointing and clicking variety. First up is The Testament of Sherlock Holmes in which the the world’s first consulting detective goes on a murder spree. Or perhaps he doesn’t and the whole thing turns out to be an overwhelmingly obtuse setup, but the trailer would not have you believe that. It is dramatic in a way that only occurrences within the pea soupers of Old London Town can be. The second trailer is for Chaos on Deponia, second in the trilogy. John shared his thoughts on the first, concluding thusly: “I spent more time being frustrated than entertained, and perhaps too much time somewhere between the two.” Watch both trailers now.

To escape from that predicament it’ll be necessary to use the mop with the frogspawn. Chaos on Deponia is out on November 6th.

That one’s out tomorrow and I’m being sincere when I say that video has put me right in the mood to pursue some clues and solve some mysteries. Good stuff, even if some of the previous Frogwares Holmes games haven’t been particularly distinguished. I did like The Awakening though, teleporting Watson and all, but that probably says as much about me being a sucker for Lovecraftian horror mashups as it does for the quality of the game. Come to think of it, the asylum bit really was quite rubbish.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , , .

1. gwyrdd says:

I still haven’t finished Deponia; it was rather alarming just how insufferably unlikable the main character was, enough that I thought: “You know what? I really can’t be arsed.”

2. Wut The Melon says:

I’m mildly interested in the Holmes one, hope to see a Wot I Think on it… sounds like a bit of a B-game, but then again, anything that’s not generic over-action is something to treasure.

• gritz says:

Pretty much all of the Sherlock Holmes frogwares games are B games (except for the ones that are C games), but I buy them all anyways.

• Zarunil says:

They absolutely are. I still enjoy them, and will get this one for sure. I’m a sucker for anything Holmes on PC.

• maninahat says:

Ugh. B or C? Try D.

Potentially interesting stories get muddied by ridiculous puzzles. I was playing through “Holmes vs Lupin” and had to stop because it was that annoying. In one part, I figured out Lupin was hiding in an oversized crate, but Holmes didn’t. Clicking on the box would only prompt Holmes to say “What an unusually large box…I wonder what’s in it.” It took him half an hour to catch up. And this was only an hour into the game? Fuck that. I gave up when I was required to go looking for bird callers so as to coerce a bird out of a bush, when I was supposed to be finding the greatest burglar in the world.

The one thing I will say for them is that they try new things every time. In the earlier games, mysteries were solved by horrendous multiple choice exam questions, but more recent ones actually include recreating crime scenes and other fun stuff. I think they’re gradually getting better, and this one does actually look quite tempting, but I’m not sure if they are there yet.

3. AlwaysRight says:

I suppose this is a good opportunity to bust out Rab’s review of the one of the frogwares Sherlock games:

(Its about 3 minutes in)

4. S Jay says:

I loved the pun at the end: the truth will come ho(l)me(s)

5. AlwaysRight says:

Wow 7 comments… (and two of them were me!)

Adventure gaming is alive and kicking.

• The Random One says:

I’d be more concerned if a bad slapstick trailer of Unlikeable Characters 2 and Michael Bay presents Sherlock Holmes Murders Everyone got a lot of comments, because that would mean they are the best adventure games have to offer.

6. mr.black says:

I’m a foreigner to English and German, but understand both languages, so translation problems in Deponia didn’t bother me as much as Mr. Walker. The character is unlikable, but this being trilogy, there’s plenty of time to redeem/change himself.
    All in all, I urge you to try Depoina if you like nice modern adventure games – the more time passes, the more fondly I tend to remember it. It’s funny, has nice animations (if not as “rich”, i.e. smooth as I’d like them to be), great music and interesting, quirky story. If not in this episodic format, then when all story is done!

7. dogastine says:

Honestly, I thought Deponia was awesome and even better than Monkey Island 2 (not one though). I agree the characters were unlikable but they were supposed to be. Plus, by the end of the game, you see that Rufus is not a static character ( I won’t say anymore just in case). And with what was said above regarding how it was more frustrating than entertaining, I call BS, the game was just challenging enough for someone of mediocre intelligence like me. On the other hand, I am relatively new to point and click games, so if you guys have any suggestions of ones I should play, I’m all ears.

Comment on this story