Russian Borderlands 2 Is All Fixed

By John Walker on September 20th, 2012 at 11:08 am.

Victory!

Yesterday we reported how gamers in Russia and bordering countries had received a peculiar version of Borderlands 2. It was in Russian only, and region locked so it was not possible to play with people from other countries. That was strange enough, but more odd was that this was also being distributed to non-Russian-speaking former USSR nations, which didn’t much impress people. The good news is, it’s now all being sorted. 2K have ensured that customers both in and neighbouring Russia will have access to the international version of the game as well.

It seems this has arisen from a conflict with the game’s distribution by 1C, who are publishing a version that’s incompatible with the 2K-distributed game. But this is being addressed by 2K, who are updating PC versions of the game, both retail and digital, to be a bundle containing both forms of the game. While the two still won’t play together, customers in the region can choose which version to play, meaning those who don’t speak Russian will definitely have access to the international (English, French, Spanish, Italian, German) languages, and be able to play with everyone else.

They have also clarified that the Season Pass and DLC will now work with the bundled game. So that really is all the issues cleared up, just a little late. Hopefully the debacle means that 2K won’t make this mistake again, and the lesson is learned that relying on IP addresses to region lock games is never a good plan.

Here’s the statement we received from 2K in full:

“2K Games and 1C Company have updated the PC versions of Borderlands 2 that are purchased from both retail locations and via digital distribution in Russia, the Baltic states, and CIS territories. Consumers in these countries will now receive a bundle that contains both the 1C Russian language version of Borderlands 2, as well as the 2K Games worldwide (English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, and Japanese) version of the game. This gives consumers in these countries the widest range of options to both choose their preferred language and play with their friends across the world.

Though the 1C and 2K versions do not support cross-version play, consumers can install both versions and have the option to play each. Additionally, Borderlands 2 Season Pass and DLC content purchased in these territories will contain this bundled format content. We thank customers for their feedback as we continue to work to provide the best products we can offer worldwide.”

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. sink257 says:

Hurray! All is well with the world.

2. DSR says:

We won!

Hopefully, other developers and publishers will look at this as an example.

3. Tatourmi says:

That is a glorious thing indeed. Still a bit borked that they didn’t merge the two versions, but they probably did all they could anyways, considering the short time in which they addressed the problem.

4. Legion23 says:

So did I get that right? People who want to play in Russian language will still not be able to play with people playing in a different language because it still is basically a different game? Hummm.

AmateurScience says:

Yes it is a bit funny, but better than forcing folks in the Baltics to play in and with Russian(s) rather than in their second language of choice. In an ideal world these games would be localised into Estonian etc too.

• mf says:

No need to localize in Estonia (cant speak for Latvia or Lithuania). Reason being…B2 is an adult game with adult themes and the target audience here speaks fluent English. The only reason you would want to localize is minors. Clearly not the target audience of this game (open secret: minors still play B2 because their language skills are good enough and there are always ways to get the legal version of the game outside official channels)

• reosarevok says:

Or through the official channels and some asking the parents to buy it, really, like everywhere else. I mean, it’s not like most parents ever look at PEGI ratings. But yeah, the twelve year olds I’ve met here speak better English than most adults in Spain (which is admittedly not a big feat :) but good enough for some gaming).

• hjarg says:

Learning through playing. Works like a miracle actually.
            Not localizing stuff is actually a good way to learn foreign language. As well as using just subtitles on TV, not voiceovers.

And YAY! for shorting that out. Hopefully that means my XCOM preorder is safe!

• MrLebanon says:

Euro folk seem a lot more apt at learning languages… I would die if my game was not in my first language

• Zanchito says:

All our entertainment is dubbed, so people don’t feel the need (nor did have any opportunity, actually) to practice english. Also, for historical reasons, there hasn’t been an exchange of people with other countries, which adds to the close mindedness ot the populace. It annoys the hell out of me, that is no excuse for being lazy, but to be true, the younger generations are getting more involved with foring languages.

• reosarevok says:

I know, since I am Spanish myself *and* I originally learnt most of my English through RPGs :) And yeah, it seems to be getting better, thankfully!

• MadMatty says:

Easy explanation for all of this: They want money.
        International customers sometimes buy the russian or other version for about 30-50% off at sites like g2play.net , then patch up the game with language packs to make it the same as the european one.
        They were obviously trying to stop this, and didn´t think about the ramifications at large.
        I actually have a fine working version of Battlefield 3, russian version, which was the only way i could afford it earlier this summer. Works fine. Just needs to be language patched again, after every official BF3 update, which g2play have supplied like 1-2 days after patch day sofar……

Plz do something about your horrible login system: have it return you to the page you were trying to comment at, at the same place, after logging in, instead of just returning you to the main page- leaving you to dig thru every article to find the same comment section and place, you originally wanted to comment on. This is not hard, and numerous sites nowdays do this

• Portalller says:

No you didn’t get this right! If you would’ve read the article (!) it clearly states:
      Consumers in these countries will now receive a bundle that contains both the 1C Russian language version of Borderlands 2, as well as the 2K Games worldwide (English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, and Japanese) version of the game.”
      Reading is really hard, isn’t it!

• Danny252 says:

Yes, it is – because apparently you’re unable to read that the international version does not support Russian. If you want to play with the text in Russian, you have to play the Russian version – if you want international, you’d better know English or Japanese.

• qplazm says:

I’m afraid it’s you that didn’t get it right. If you’d actually read (!) his comment, it clearly states:
        “People who want to play in Russian language will still not be able to play with people playing in a different language because it still is basically a different game?”

The segment you gave as an example states that in order to play with people not playing in Russian, users would have to install and use the non-Russian version and use a different language. In other words, people who want to play in Russian language will still not be able to play with people playing in a different language.

Apparently for you, reading IS really hard.

EDIT: goddamn, ninja’d by Danny252. Now I look like a dogpiler.

5. mechabuddha says:

This is excellent news. I really have a difficult time understanding region locking. Does it have to do with the regional distributors?

On a side note, does anyone know if there is a local split-screen workaround for this like in Borderlands 1? This is the only thing keeping me from picking up a copy, as I really don’t want to buy 2 copies of the game so I can play with my wife.

• Lakelly says:

As far as I know 1C are in charge of local distributing. They made the stupid decisions regarding region locking etc.

Also, no split screen solutions have surfaced yet, but it was only released a couple of days ago. Wouldn’t really expect one for at least a couple of weeks if it’s even possible.

6. Dominic White says:

As mentioned above, this is one major issue fixed. The second is that in ALL versions of the game on PC, they’ve actively removed split-screen play. It’s in the console versions.

Am I going to buy two copies just so I can play with my brother? Fuck, no. So, last nail in the coffin – no sale, sorry 2K.

• Gunrun says:

Ah yes it sucks for all 5 people that attempt to play splitscreen games on their PC. I agree that they should have used valuable QA time making sure this feature works for them. I also heard the developers couldn’t be bothered adding support for steering wheels to the game. Sheer laziness.

Diziet Sma says:

Please go back under your bridge.

• Dominic White says:

Oh, screw you, Gunrun. The reason nobody plays split-screen on PC is because no PC games have split-screen. It’s a lovely catch-22. You may have noticed that PCs have had these things called ‘USB ports’ for a while. They let you plug in all manner of controllers.

Fun fact: Left 4 Dead on the PC had fully functioning split-screen during the beta, but Valve actually REMOVED it after mouse-and-keyboard purists got angry that it reminded them of consoles being a thing that exists.

It’s a pretty fucking huge feature, and a ton of PC games have it actively removed. Why I seem to be the only person complaining about this is beyond me.

• Gunrun says:

Yes I’m sure that’s why they removed it, and not because of the QA time they’d have to spend making sure the feature works correctly on all the post release content, and stuff like that, and ensuring that all the content is balanced to be playable with a gamepad.

Joshua says:

Oi! They already have to do that anyway, with it being a multi platform release and all.

• The Random One says:

BLARGH WHY SHOULD DEVS WASTE TIME AND EFFORT ON THINGS I PERSONALLY DO NOT LIKE

• BrendanJB says:

No need to make things up. They removed it from L4D because it conflicted with online play. A person using splitscreen still only registered as one player, which meant the game would show 3/4 players, and people would join only to enter the spectator position because all player slots were filled. Splitscreen play is still available for offline games.

• Ergates_Antius says:

Why I seem to be the only person complaining about this is beyond me.

If I had to guess, I’d say it was probably because not that many people care. That sucks if you’re one of the people that does, but the fact that not many people complain is going to make this a low priority for games developers.

Ridiculous hyperbole isn’t going to strengthen your case.

• Mist says:

Plenty of people are enthusiastic about Steam’s Big Picture mode, because it allows you to play games on the couch. Split screen gaming is also pretty awesome on the couch, assuming your tv is big enough.

(on that note: I hope Valve are going to officially support split-screen Portal 2 on the PC… )

particlese says:

With all the work Valve does on their games after release, I can only imagine that they abandon [official] split-screen support due to lack of interest. I hope they see local (or even local+online) coop as an important living room invasion strategy.

• Baines says:

People that don’t do local+online tend to loathe the idea of local+online, because split-screeners in online play tends to introduce new problems.

At least in console games, which is where you are most likely to find the option, split-screeners can degrade online performance. In the best worst case, the split-screeners will be jumping around like a guy with a bad connection. In the worst worst case, you get Modern Warfare 3 lousy networking and flawed compensation system, where everyone suffers.

In competitive games, you get another issue, where people abuse split-screen for an advantage. Again, the best example is Modern Warfare 3. There, split-screen online is another tool for boosters and griefers. Particularly in the Infection game mode, where a player can use the second screen for a sacrificial character to act as a defense for the main.

There is a third issue in that split-screeners tend to not be the best players, so “serious” players tend to feel they are being handicapped if they are put on a team with split-screeners.

particlese says:

Ohhh, interesting, I hadn’t thought about it in a competitive context. Should still be reasonable for pure coop, though, no? As long as there’s no team-killing possible?

• MrLebanon says:

remember the good old days of having friends over to play consoles on the couch?

Good times… I do the same thing on my PC with the few games that can (L4D, UT3, FIFA, Portal 2 etc)

particlese says:

Yeah! I had a blast playing Serious Sam coop last week. A friend and I were going to play SS3 locally, but then I wondered if another friend across the country could join the fray. That wasn’t possible (as far as I could tell), so we ended up playing SS:TFE Classic instead, which explicitly supports that. There wasn’t a single problem other than figuring out how to configure the input (highly configureable, but not particularly user-friendly), and it was a ton of fun. And it even kept a save for each player separately.

• arqueturus says:

I’m not sure we can refer to this as a Major Issue (even though I totally understand that for you it is) as the game will be working as intended on release. It’s sure something that seems odd not to have, even as ‘beta feature’ but that makes it a dubious design descision rather than anything else.

Apply pressure and it may go in at a later date.

• Nick says:

iirc one of the gearbox staff is working on an unofficial split screen thingy.

• Zanchito says:

This may actually be the thing that tips me over the fence.

• Calneon says:

Last nail in the coffin? May I ask what the previous ones were? From what I can see they have done nothing but great things to make sure the PC version lives up to our incredibly high standards.

• absolofdoom says:

People apparently always need to bitch. Because, you know, “[insert thing] these days.”

I mean for fuck’s sake, this is one of the best PC versions of a multi-platform game up there with BF3 and stuff. Gonna drag up split-screen when practically no PC games have it? Unrealistic expectation. “Last nail in the coffin” my ass.

7. Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Well this is actually a great thing. Congratulations, citizens of the countries affected.

8. Echidna says:

Thank you! Good news indeed!

9. Ansob says:

Any word on how you’re supposed to get a refund if you bought both the CIS and RoW versions before they announced this? Or are they going to give you a second key for the RoW version?

10. Buemba says:

That’s one down. Now if only publishers stopped enforcing separate release dates in different parts of the globe as well…

11. ItalianPodge says:

Very rapid resolution from 2K, these mistakes do happen and we have seen in the past how long other publishers have taken to respond. Well done RPS!

12. Neurotic says:

It has to be said, 2K are one of very, very few pubs who release all their boxed products (in my territory at least) in both localised Polish and English versions. I like that, because it means I can carry on building my specially-shelved boxed collections of Civ and Elder Scrolls games with each new release.

13. Zarf42 says:

I have an odd issue. When I was playing yesterday, I picked up a Hyperion rifle (An Hyperion rifle? I just don’t know anymore), and though the name was in English, and all of the text in the game is in English, I looked down the scope and saw a bunch of text in Cyrillic. Where normally you’d see the range markings, you now see луна говорить! I didn’t see that Steam had installed an update, but maybe it did without me looking. Are Hyperion weapons supposed to be like that? I mean, I can see that in a Vladof weapon as a joke, but луна говорить!

• onodera says:

That looks like a machine translation of “moonspeak”, which is 4chan slang for “Japanese” or “gobbledegook”.

14. po says:

Can we get one thing straight?

There is no such thing as an ‘international version’, unless it has an international release date.

• MasterDex says:

International version – The build of a game that gets released internationally.
      International version with a global release – The build of a game that gets released internationally at the same time.

15. Tei says:

I don’t speak any baltic language, so I will improvise a thanks with spanish:

<russian accent>Nunca he visto a un publisher hacer algo asi. Seguro que esto tiene un coste economico, estoy impresionado. ¡Muchas gracias! BESOS. </russian accent>

16. Ksanter X says:

Yay! We won this battle! Russian and Ukrainian are my native languages but I want to play the original version of every game despite the language (I know English and French anyway). And this shows that 2K is one of the best publishers today.

17. d32 says:

Oh well. Now I want all those versions for 15€, too.
    This just got unfair the other way around – now the rest of the world is screwed.

18. Rawrian says:

This is VICTOЯY! I might think about buying the game now.

19. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

1C is no longer content with only fucking over Russian game fans. Former Soviet republics are the next step, and then some day the whole world will know the terror(inconvenience) associated with 1C’s strange marketing and distribution policies.